Motorbiking to Luang Prabang from Chiang Mai

There's a dirt road from the Nan border crossing direct to LP. However last time I checked motorcycles were not allowed to cross that border.

Motorbikes can cross in Chiang Kong. Then you go up around Oudom Xai loosely following the river, then LP. If you're fast you can make it in a day.

Speaking of fast your top speed in Laos should be 100kph. Never go faster. The roads are bad and there are unexpected things happening - when I was going it was a nice asphalt road but some bits were missing so we were hitting dirt/rocks every kilometer or so. You never know when these come so you need to go more slowly so as to not get caught off guard. Parts of the road also featured very low hanging power lines!

Go slow. Stay safe. Laos also doesn't have good hospitals etc. Much less developed than Thailand. You're definitely going to spend a lot of time on dirt roads. A dual sport is IMO the ideal bike for Laos. You're never going to be able to open up the ER-6 on Lao roads anyway.

I recently made a trip to Laos, i wrote a report which you can find here: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/727067-laos-a-trip-report-1117-may-2014/

Totally agree with Nikster the roads can be dangerous ( fallen rocks, gravel) so take it slow and don't forget to enjoy the ( stunning) scenery.

I think it's doable on an ER6 but an off road bike is more far more suitable for Laos.

Enjoy your trip it's a wunderful country.

There's a dirt road from the Nan border crossing direct to LP. However last time I checked motorcycles were not allowed to cross that border.

Motorbikes can cross in Chiang Kong. Then you go up around Oudom Xai loosely following the river, then LP. If you're fast you can make it in a day.

Speaking of fast your top speed in Laos should be 100kph. Never go faster. The roads are bad and there are unexpected things happening - when I was going it was a nice asphalt road but some bits were missing so we were hitting dirt/rocks every kilometer or so. You never know when these come so you need to go more slowly so as to not get caught off guard. Parts of the road also featured very low hanging power lines!

Go slow. Stay safe. Laos also doesn't have good hospitals etc. Much less developed than Thailand. You're definitely going to spend a lot of time on dirt roads. A dual sport is IMO the ideal bike for Laos. You're never going to be able to open up the ER-6 on Lao roads anyway.

last i heard single bikes are not allowed across the bridge at Chiang Khonh but only in groups an expensive to cross as well

Check out gt riders, You head to Luang Namtha from CK ( about 4 hours) than on to Udomaxi. The road from Udomaxi to LP is sheer hell ( about 80 kms) 5-6 hours total in a car. .

Stunning scenery an a fantastic ride, much of the north ur on the edge of mtn tops.

Bets bet is enter at Nong Khai- Vientainne- Vang Vieng ( beautiful area about 4 -5 hours) ) than on to Luang Prabang anoter 4 -5 hours with stops

I have driven the road more than a few times, its nce in spots an broken up in others ( pot holed)

You will need the book in ur name and u need buy insurnance as soon as u get into Laos

Check out the laos section of ,teak- door forum, someone posted the trip u want to take

Edited by phuketrichard

there are several crossing suitable for LP.

vientiane would be the first and "easiest" in terms of roads.Then there's the crossing at Chaloem Phra Kiat, Nan - Often referred to as Hongsa - the nearest town in Laos. - and the relatively new friendship bridge beyond Chiang Rai at Houay Xay.

There are now 2 routes to LP from Vientiane - the original windy one and the slightly longer route that veers off after Vang Vieng. However when I last drove that it hadn't beed finished.

There is also a choice from LP - a southerly and northerly route. The Southerly route is/was paved - kinda and required a ferry across the Mekong. I haven't done the Northerly one due to a map-reading error, but i understand it is not metalled all the way yet.

The Huoay Xay crossing at the new 4th Friendship is vey civilised and the is a great road up to Luang Namtha ands some rathe middling roads down to Luang Prabang.

The roads in Laos seem to very from season to season - repairs aree made and then the rain washes them away....so it's all a bit of a lottery. I've ended up seriously challenging my 4WD in some places. - not so much on these roads though.

Whichever route you take they are all really fabulous drives - most have regular fuel stations now, but it is wise to check if your bike has restricted range.

To enter Laos in a car, you need to own the vehicle or have written proof of permission from there owner. - I expect the following will be the same for any large bike -

You need the 'purple book" which is a "passport" for you vehicle, obtainable for about 100 or 200 baht from a local dept of Transport - should take about an hour with the right docs.

You may need the log book, d/licence and to fill in the appropriate forms on both ides of the border.

then you need to get you passport and visa sorted too. (Need photo for that).

On passing through into Laos you should buy insurance - this is available at the border and price depends on the length of stay - it can be couple of hundred baht, which would indicate you don't have a lot of cover. I bought a year's cover that was more thorough than that from an agent in Vientiane....about 4500 baht.

In short you need every possible document pertaining to your vehicle and DL - you may not need them all but it would be silly not to have them.

gtrider.com is a good site for bikers.

• 2 weeks later...

Is there a time limit as to how long I can take my scooter into Laos? Thinking just under a month

I have heard that if a vehicle is out of Thailand for more than 6 months, then it has to be re-imported incurring all the concomitant duties.........