Pattaya Beach empties as military takes over

Rimmer

Pattaya Beach empties as military takes over

n1Martial-1.jpg

PATTAYA:--When, on May 20, Army Gen. Prayuth Chan-ocha signed the order declaring martial law in the kingdom, Pattaya’s tourist exodus began. By the time the coup became official two days later, Pattaya Beach was desolate and only a few Thai and international tourists could be found.

A beach chair vendor pointed her finger squarely at political unrest as the reason for the empty beach.

- See more at: http://www.pattayamail.com/localnews/pattaya-beach-empties-as-military-takes-over-38025#sthash.JdAbf5gt.dpuf

pattayamaillogo.png
-- Pattaya Mail 2014-05-30 footer_n.gif

More to do with who gets paid for authorising the deck-chair and other beach touts. Don't forget who owns all of Thailand's beaches so they are definitely not conducting business legally.

Using an opinion from a beach vendor in the storyline... now there is something to think about. Mental giants, those beach vendors... institutions of wisdom, all.

Weeeeeeeeeell, a UK mastermind contest winner was a train guard. The old saying, don't judge a book by it's cover...smile.png

Pattaya Beach empties as it does every year during low season.

Russian school holidays are starting, you will see them arrive again in the next days ... For these Russians having martial law, military interventions and curfews imposed feels even more like coming home :-)

We will soon see if you are right.rolleyes.gif

Don't forget their currency has been affected by sanctions imposed after the Ukraine crisis.

I wouldn't be surprised if far less come here this year because they don't have the money

• Like 2

More to do with who gets paid for authorising the deck-chair and other beach touts. Don't forget who owns all of Thailand's beaches so they are definitely not conducting business legally.

Nobody owns all of Thailand beaches.The one you have in mind owns all of Thailand seas and oceans to the high tide line.

Using an opinion from a beach vendor in the storyline... now there is something to think about. Mental giants, those beach vendors... institutions of wisdom, all.

"Mental giants, those beach vendors... institutions of wisdom, all."

Compared to some people who make senseless, bigoted posts on TV they are indeed wise and rational.

• Like 2

Weeeeeeeeeell, a UK mastermind contest winner was a train guard. The old saying, don't judge a book by it's cover...smile.png

And in fact, so was a London Taxi Driver - Mr Fred Housego http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fred_Housego who went on to become a a television and radio personality and presenter. I suppose the difference is that in UK everyone has the opportunity

to attend school until at least their late teens whereas Thais don't always get the chance nor can afford a decent education. Some intelligent people can be forced into menial jobs, therefore.

Russian school holidays are starting, you will see them arrive again in the next days ... For these Russians having martial law, military interventions and curfews imposed feels even more like coming home :-)

Don't forget their currency has been affected by sanctions imposed after the Ukraine crisis.

I wouldn't be surprised if far less come here this year because they don't have the money

the Russian Ruble lost 6% vs. Thai Baht during the last 6 months which is not a factor preventing Russians to enjoy a holiday in Thailand.

• Like 1

A mystery for me is why the Thai/Australian dollar exchange rate remains almost constant regardless of the strife here in Thailand. Very disappointing.

Nobody owns all of Thailand beaches.The one you have in mind owns all of Thailand seas and oceans to the high tide line.

Correct..... Personally I am sort of happy to see Pattaya running a bit to the lean side.

The traffic and tour buses everywhere were becoming a bit annoying....

• Like 1

I have been told by a russian neighbour that Russians living in siberia and east russia pays only 10000-15000 baht for a holiday package , flight and hotel. So they will still arrive in big numbers , but maybe this time the 7 eleven queue will be longer......

Sent from my SM-P601 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I have family members who have had concession for beach chairs for years, they are licensed by Pattaya City Council. I believe I'm correct that Council also sets the beach chair fees for users.

I have been told by a russian neighbour that Russians living in siberia and east russia pays only 10000-15000 baht for a holiday package , flight and hotel. So they will still arrive in big numbers , but maybe this time the 7 eleven queue will be longer......

Sent from my SM-P601 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Well all I can say is I have been to Koh Chang many times and when I was returning from Bang Bao to the ferry yesterday morning which means travelling from the very bottom of the island to the top of the island it was like a scene from Nevil Shute's On The Beach. In some of the small villages you pass through there was not a single person in view. I have never seen it like that beforesad.png

the Russian Ruble lost 6% vs. Thai Baht during the last 6 months which is not a factor preventing Russians to enjoy a holiday in Thailand.

There is reference in this thread to a 15% drop? unsure.png Anyway, the sentiments being echoed in this new thread suggest they are being deterred

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/732646-have-the-russian-tourists-dissapeared/