Iranian, American teenagers electrocuted at swimming pool of Bangkok condominium

webfact

Iranian, American teenagers electrocuted at swimming pool of Bangkok condominium

BANGKOK: -- A 16-year-old Iranian and his 16-year-old American friend were electrocuted by leaked current from a lamp pole beside a swimming pool of a Bangkok condominium late Thursday night, police said.

The Iranian teenager was identified as Daryush Hosseini and his American friend as Paul Doughenty.

Police said they were electrocuted beside the swimming pool on the ninth floor of the Charming Residence on Soi Sainamthip 2 off Soi Sukhumvit 22 at about midnight.

The two were not residents of the building but they visited friends who live there to swim with them.

Witnesses told police that Doughenty leaned on the lamp beside the pool after he had swum and short circuit occurred. Hosseini tried to pull him from the lamp pole but the two were electrocuted.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-05-30

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What a terrible tragedy for these boys and their families.

It's no point looking for blame as it's likely none will be found.

...and little use hoping that others will learn from this and fix other potential problems...but that may be wishful thinking as well.

Sad.

• Like 1

This is a very sad report , this day and age I would have hoped for a better out come than this , a live pole beside a swimming pool, bdenner , hit the nail on the head as to what wasn't there., one hopes that the full force of the law is instigated under these sad circumstances, however I wont hold my breath, My sincere sympathy to both Paul and Daryush family and friends , forever young. R.I.P. Chainarong.

• Like 2

I think that is a bit harsh,being American one would not expect a lamp installed in his own country in such a position would electrocute you as it would have been installed in a proper manner,which this one it seems was not.

Edited by Crossy
quote of removed post deleted
  • Like 1

In Thailand it seems 2 wires good, three wires bad,this is not the

first time this has happened at a swimming pool,and it wont be the

last unfortunately,RIP young lads,you lost your lives because

someone did not do the job properly.

regards worgeordie

• Like 2

It's like walking on the power cords strewn on wet soggy ground at the local temple fair. I know to avoid this, and you know to avoid this, but these kids don't know this. They assume that the standards of safety will be just like they are at home... and this is why so many of them come to grief, whether it be electrocution or diving into 3 inch deep water. The onus clearly lies with the department that manages this type of thing - building safety etc, and ensures that the proprietor has done his bit. None of this gets done in "near enough is good enough" Thailand... and the courts don't resolve these types of issues, (they should but they don't). Young people die too easily in places like this.

Edited by Crossy
quote of deleted post removed
  • Like 1

1 months ago my wifes friend came over with her 3 year old and decided to see if a metal rod will fit inside and electric power socket

1st thing she knew was the power went out all through the house, then found the child playing with the socket

Wife/s Friend believes it was her mother ghost that turned off the power before the baby put in the metal spike

This is one of the saddest things I've ever read

1 months ago my wifes friend came over with her 3 year old and decided to see if a metal rod will fit inside and electric power socket

1st thing she knew was the power went out all through the house, then found the child playing with the socket

Wife/s Friend believes it was her mother ghost that turned off the power before the baby put in the metal spike

This is one of the saddest things I've ever read

1st Point: Sorry I should have posted that "when Core Balance is installed, the power cuts off in 1/10 of a heartbeat"

so the child was not even given a shock

The Core Balance is installed at the main Pwr box so cover all the power points in the house

2nd Point: In Thai culture every thing good and bad that happens to you is in direct cosequence to the ghosts you have in the house

For exmple: Thai wife will not walk under a washing line as this will upset the spirits.

I thought it had to do with the fact that under garment could have been hung there

but same happened with brand new never used washing line

• Like 2

It's like walking on the power cords strewn on wet soggy ground at the local temple fair. I know to avoid this, and you know to avoid this, but these kids don't know this. They assume that the standards of safety will be just like they are at home... and this is why so many of them come to grief, whether it be electrocution or diving into 3 inch deep water. The onus clearly lies with the department that manages this type of thing - building safety etc, and ensures that the proprietor has done his bit. None of this gets done in "near enough is good enough" Thailand... and the courts don't resolve these types of issues, (they should but they don't). Young people die too easily in places like this.

Agree, remember when they had that Songkran party in a swamp,and at least one person was electrocuted as they had wire's from the sound system i think it was running everywhere,taped together,i mean even a half wit could have seen that was a recipe for disaster,a conclusion that somehow eluded the organisers however.

• Like 1

Swimming pool with high voltage lighting, no RCDs, no earthing - An accident waiting to happen. When will these people ever learn?

Learn? Never! They would tell you first to wear your amulet instead of making sure that the green wire is properly grounded.

Have you taken a look lately at the sidewalks in Bangkok? Not even in Philippines or Cambodia they are a casual and cavalier as Thai motorcyclists riding up and down the foot paths endangering the lives of people.

They police does it too so... it's OK. Thai way. One more aspect of Thainess.

Edited by pisico
  • Like 2