Considering trying to live/work in Thailand, need advice on living costs/work options

neil1280

Jesus, your'e up early Mr. Toad.

The quest to learn from social misfits and chavs on how to break the law or go on internet dates is just too damn exciting.

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I heard a rumour that you held a Grand Toga Ball at Toad Hall last night to celebrate your triumphant return after the accident/incident with the wheat threshing machine and the boy scout troup, so it was a pleasant surprise that you have once again graced us with your precence my liege.

• Like 1

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Will let others address all the rest, I will only address eBay .

Firstly, very high chance your account will be banned within the first few months you start to log in from Thailand.

They will do this for a number of reasons including what they call is "fraud" because you are UK account but logging in from Thailand.

They will ask you for all the invoices and then still shut it down.

Your second problem is PayPal , which will do the exact, limit the account. However be warned they will do it when you have a large sum.

Here is what you must do if you want to keep the income .

1.You need a computer in UK which you access via remote control and never ever log into your account from Thailand . Same for paypal.

2. Open another account while you in UK but do not operate it as yet.

3. Once in Thailand open a Thai account for both eBay and PayPal .

Keep the 2 new ones as back ups, should you be closed.

Do not buy or make too much stock, you may end up with all the stock but no market to sell.

Look into other avenues to sell, such as your own website, Gumtree in oz, ioffer and loads of others .

Good luck

"Firstly, very high chance your account will be banned within the first few months...

Your second problem is PayPal , which will do the exact, limit the account."

I don't use eBay as a business, but do buy & sell some higher-end collectible items as part of a hobby. While I certainly agree eBay and PayPal can be pains-in-the-derriere about many things, my eBay shipping address is in Thailand while my credit card connected to the account is in the US and I use my PayPal account, which is connected to my US bank account & credit cards, to buy and sell.

I certainly believe that all you describe could happen since common sense & logic are completely alien concepts at both eBay and PayPal, but it isn't inevitable that they stop you from dealing with them just because you're in Thailand and your linked accounts are not.

Jesus, your'e up early Mr. Toad.

The quest to learn from social misfits and chavs on how to break the law or go on internet dates is just too damn exciting.

I heard a rumour that you held a Grand Toga Ball at Toad Hall last night to celebrate your triumphant return after the accident/incident with the wheat threshing machine and the boy scout troup, so it was a pleasant surprise that you have once again graced us with your precence my liege.

It was a splendid return and my big fan club;The Duck and his band of wierdos turned up which caused much mirth at their exspense.

A big thankyou to Mr Neverdie for all of his splendid help

@ Cypress Hill,

The law is the law, neither myself, the law abiding citizens on this board nor the RTP give a damn if you think that it is archaic or not.

The reason that why people complain is that we are law abiding and we have to bend over backwards to secure our visas and work permits every year.

At the other end of the (evolutionary) scale you have scum who will bend every rule and break laws for there own means and with no intention of trying to go legit.

You are trying to say that if someone else breaks the law then everyone has the right to break the law.

What kind of an updragging did you have?

In the words of Edward Burke "In order for evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing."

@ notforme,

You said the following “You are doing what hundreds of people come and do here every year with no problem so go for it.”

So you are actually suggesting (in fact encouraging) that the OP should break the law.

Further to that you actually openly admit on a public forum to breaking the law when you were in Thailand before (are you absolutely off your rocker)?

If either of you two numpties want to stay on this board as members, I suggest that you read the board rules and engage you brain before posting.

You sound like a fun type of guy.

@ Cypress Hill,

The law is the law, neither myself, the law abiding citizens on this board nor the RTP give a damn if you think that it is archaic or not.

The reason that why people complain is that we are law abiding and we have to bend over backwards to secure our visas and work permits every year.

At the other end of the (evolutionary) scale you have scum who will bend every rule and break laws for there own means and with no intention of trying to go legit.

You are trying to say that if someone else breaks the law then everyone has the right to break the law.

What kind of an updragging did you have?

In the words of Edward Burke "In order for evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing."

@ notforme,

You said the following “You are doing what hundreds of people come and do here every year with no problem so go for it.”

So you are actually suggesting (in fact encouraging) that the OP should break the law.

Further to that you actually openly admit on a public forum to breaking the law when you were in Thailand before (are you absolutely off your rocker)?

If either of you two numpties want to stay on this board as members, I suggest that you read the board rules and engage you brain before posting.

You sound like a fun type of guy.

And you sound like a water systems engineer who is follically challenged.

A lot of people here spouting holier-than-thou waffle while conveniently forgetting that many of them have regularly broken Thai law by going with local woman in exchange for money.

The oldest profession is - strictly speaking - illegal in Thailand.

Personally, I see little wrong in a one-man band doing work that doesn't take food off a local's table. The money he/she earns is being spent in the Thai economy so it's all good

• Like 2

A lot of people here spouting holier-than-thou waffle while conveniently forgetting that many of them have regularly broken Thai law by going with local woman in exchange for money.

Personally, I see little wrong in a one-man band doing work that doesn't take food off a local's table. The money he/she earns is being spent in the Thai economy so it's all good

I used to see little wrong with thrashing my E-type down the M1 at 135MPH but I do seem to remember people in blue uniforms objecting to it.whistling.gif

so how long you been working on-line in Thailand then Cypress ?

But exchanging money with a local women for a game of rumpy pumpy has yet to infuriate immigration enough to order a crack down on visa runners and bar people from entering Thailand has it now ?

Edited by Soutpeel

What a load of rubbish. It's illegal. Also why do you automatically assume everyone on TVF Is a sex tourist, some people here offering legal advise arnt employing ppl in the worlds oldest profession.

You really need to get yourself off the sex strip and wake up !

• Like 2

I don't work online. I'm just trying to look at it from the point of view of someone who might have very little choice if they're to avoid becoming destitute in LOS.

People have to eat

that's what welfare states are for my dear chap.....unlike most Thai nationals, the resident on-liners do have a choice...wink.png

I don't work online. I'm just trying to look at it from the point of view of someone who might have very little choice if they're to avoid becoming destitute in LOS.

People have to eat

Why stop at the immigration/labour laws?

If you are destitute in Thailand become a drug dealer or a hitman.

Bill-hooks to you and your theory.

People do have a choice.

If you have no money and don't have a job in Thailand, don't go to Thailand and then you will never be destitute in Thailand.

Edited by tonytigerbkk

Look take your money and stay where you are One week here and you would be broke finding work is not that easy teach english possible but you need correct paperwork a VOA gives you 30 days 1 or 2 extendions maybe 3 months Visa runs depends on exit and fees to enter other country You get sick There goes the cash or heaven fibib you get ripped off Then your on suknspit Getting drilled for bowl of rice 3000 Pounds isn't a plan unless it is 3000 pounds of gold then your my new friend lolcheesy.gif

Look take your money and stay where you are One week here and you would be broke finding work is not that easy teach english possible but you need correct paperwork a VOA gives you 30 days 1 or 2 extendions maybe 3 months Visa runs depends on exit and fees to enter other country You get sick There goes the cash or heaven fibib you get ripped off Then your on suknspit Getting drilled for bowl of rice 3000 Pounds isn't a plan unless it is 3000 pounds of gold then your my new friend lolcheesy.gif

One sincerely hope you don't teach English SB....what are you babbling on about....honestly when one reads you posts, someone might get the impression you have put Peruvian marching powder up your nose just prior to posting...your like the Duracell bunny on speed.

You seem like a nice chap, can you start writing things in proper paragraphs...

Edited by Soutpeel

What a load of rubbish. It's illegal. Also why do you automatically assume everyone on TVF Is a sex tourist, some people here offering legal advise arnt employing ppl in the worlds oldest profession.

You really need to get yourself off the sex strip and wake up !

Ok well let's just calm down a little, shall we? I never suggested that everyone on tv is a sex tourist so can we get off that?

I've already said that it's best to have the correct visa for one's stay here but the fact is that there are an awful lot of people who aren't doing any harm by freelance writing, trading on eBay, day trading, SEO for foreign clients or even playing online poker. They're not taking a job off a Thai and they're spending money in the economy.

Let he who is without sin cast the first stone

• Like 1

if you plan for about 1k per month you will be able to get by, a good wage in Thailand is about 30,000 baht (close to 1k aud). However you are a foreigner so exect to pay more, we have a house in Thailand and charge around 15,000 baht per month rent as that is the average rate in that area so that would be half your budget in rent. Food is very cheap as you would know and general living costs are low however if you are going to live like a foreigner you will need more, live like a local and you will be fine for 3 months, I wouldn't say 6 however I don't know how you live.

With your income, I too have companies that are 100% online and find it makes it easier to travel however you will need to make sure you are not breaching your visa conditions as it wouldn't be too hard for them to work it out if you are only getting your income from ebay.

I would say spread out your income so not all your eggs are in one basket, you are relying on one company for your income on a site that attracts a lot of hack attempts. Apply for a working visa and look at other options in Thailand like manufacturing your caps there or other products. In reality if I was in your shoes I would put that money into setting up a more reliable and stable income, 3k can buy more stock or help set something up in Thailand, if you waited 6 to 12 months you may have a more reliable income and more money to set yourself up nicely in Thailand as apossed to putting yourself in a position where it could just get you by or go bad real fast.

Edited by relocate

Will let others address all the rest, I will only address eBay .

Firstly, very high chance your account will be banned within the first few months you start to log in from Thailand.

They will do this for a number of reasons including what they call is "fraud" because you are UK account but logging in from Thailand.

They will ask you for all the invoices and then still shut it down.

Your second problem is PayPal , which will do the exact, limit the account. However be warned they will do it when you have a large sum.

Here is what you must do if you want to keep the income .

1.You need a computer in UK which you access via remote control and never ever log into your account from Thailand . Same for paypal.

2. Open another account while you in UK but do not operate it as yet.

3. Once in Thailand open a Thai account for both eBay and PayPal .

Keep the 2 new ones as back ups, should you be closed.

Do not buy or make too much stock, you may end up with all the stock but no market to sell.

Look into other avenues to sell, such as your own website, Gumtree in oz, ioffer and loads of others .

Good luck

"Firstly, very high chance your account will be banned within the first few months...

Your second problem is PayPal , which will do the exact, limit the account."

I don't use eBay as a business, but do buy & sell some higher-end collectible items as part of a hobby. While I certainly agree eBay and PayPal can be pains-in-the-derriere about many things, my eBay shipping address is in Thailand while my credit card connected to the account is in the US and I use my PayPal account, which is connected to my US bank account & credit cards, to buy and sell.

I certainly believe that all you describe could happen since common sense & logic are completely alien concepts at both eBay and PayPal, but it isn't inevitable that they stop you from dealing with them just because you're in Thailand and your linked accounts are not.

I do not think you are a power seller but as you mentioned occasional .

In OP's case his account was already flagged so any excuse is a good excuse.

I use to make really good money on eBay , about 10 years ago and went through all the crap, learned all the ins/outs and tricks.

Many accounts closed and limited. The funniest thing is the last active account I have (which hardly ever use and only to buy ) is totally "fake" fake name , fake address and fake phone numbers.

Go figure:)

if you plan for about 1k per month you will be able to get by, a good wage in Thailand is about 30,000 baht (close to 1k aud). However you are a foreigner so exect to pay more, we have a house in Thailand and charge arounf 15,000 baht per month rent as that is the average rate in that area so that would be half your budget in rent. Foot is very cheap as you would know and general living costs are low however if you are going to live like a foreigner you will need more, live like a local and you will be fine for 3 months, I wouldn't say 6 however I don't know how you live.

With your income, I too have companies that are 100% online and find it makes it easier to travel however you will need to make sure you are not breaching your visa conditions as it wouldn't be too hard for them to work it out if you are only getting your income from ebay.

I would say spread out your income so not all your eggs are in one basket, you are relying on one company for your income on a site that attracts a lot of hack attempts. Apply for a working visa and look at other options in Thailand like manufacturing your caps there or other products. In reality if I was in your shoes I would put that money into setting up a more reliable and stable income, 3k can buy more stock or help set something up in Thailand, if you waited 6 to 12 months you may have a more reliable income and more money to set yourself up nicely in Thailand as apossed to putting yourself in a position where it could just get you by or go bad real fast.

Just a couple of points for clarity

THB 30k/m is not a good wage, it maybe a livable wage, but not a good one..

If you are working on line you do need a WP, therefore if your are working one line without a WP...you ARE breaching you visa conditions

they don't need to figure out if your working on line, if your are living here long term not on a proper visa, immigration want to know how your supporting yourself and if they suspect...I stress the word suspect..you are working without a WP.... you can be denied entry.

Apply for a working visa....there is no such visa in Thailand as a working visa, a Non-imm B is not a "working visa"

if you plan for about 1k per month you will be able to get by, a good wage in Thailand is about 30,000 baht (close to 1k aud). However you are a foreigner so exect to pay more, we have a house in Thailand and charge arounf 15,000 baht per month rent as that is the average rate in that area so that would be half your budget in rent. Foot is very cheap as you would know and general living costs are low however if you are going to live like a foreigner you will need more, live like a local and you will be fine for 3 months, I wouldn't say 6 however I don't know how you live.

Just a couple of points for clarity

THB 30k/m is not a good wage, it maybe a livable wage, but not a good one..

If you are working on line you do need a WP, therefore if your are working one line without a WP...you ARE breaching you visa conditions

they don't need to figure out if your working on line, if your are living here long term not on a proper visa, immigration want to know how your supporting yourself and if they suspect...I stress the word suspect..you are working without a WP.... you can be denied entry.

Apply for a working visa....there is no such visa in Thailand as a working visa, a Non-imm B is not a "working visa"

hey Soutpeel,

30,000 is the average local wage so I would have to say sorry about for not clarifying that. It isn't a good wage by any means however it is considered a good wage by the locals, normaly 25k to 30k per month. As for the working visa, I didn't mean that was the exact name of the visa, I was just saying he should get a "working visa" aka a visa that will allow him to work there.

If you are planning to work in any country you should have a visa even if the work is online, if you have no staff they can easily say you are working without the appropriat visa. If you have staff working for you then that is a different story, if your not doing any work then there is no problem, and you still have an income.

However if you are wanting to live in another country it would seem foolish to even consider moving there on a visa that doesn't permit work, I'm not sure about customs in other coutries outside Australia and Thailand but wouln't they be asking you how you plan on funding such a long trip?

Everybody's getting a bit overexcited here. You are doing what hundreds of people come and do here every year with no problem so go for it.

They've talked about cracking down on visas but that's not yet and they've talked about it before with nothing happening. Apply for a double entry tourist visa in UK and you'll be sorted.

If you've got 3-4k plus extra from ebay that's a pretty good amount to keep you going. Yes there are charges for taking money out here on a card, but big deal, if you are in a secure apartment, take out a reasonable amount each time and stash it there then it won't add up to much.

Not now but I've operated ebay and paypal from here and UK in the past, they were never been banned, though I've heard it can happen. There are loads of people selling stuff on ebay etc so don't worry about working visas etc, not if you are here just for 5-6 months. It's a uk business as you've made clear, you're just keeping it operating while you are here. Forget about the other working options you mentioned though as that is risky.

You can find a half decent apartment, studio room, for 12k a month.

And as for not liking Thai women, some people don't and enjoy it here so not sure why that's getting picked up on. Granted they are mainly Western women but they still like it here.

Are you naive? Don't know about that but aren't most people when they are fairly new to a country. That's part of the fun and learning. If it doesn't work out you go home a bit earlier. That's it....

Isn't it great to people are condoning illegal activity and even providing advice how to do it...rolleyes.gif

Further nice to see people are really up date on Thailand's visa rules...whistling.gif

for the record...there is no such thing as a working visa in Thailand, a Non-imm B is NOT a working visa.

based on posts like this, one can understand why Immigration are cracking down at the borders...its just blatant disregard for the rules.

I am waiting with baited breath now for the poster to say, well the whole of Thai bureaucracy is corrupt and they do what they want and don't obey the rules, so why should we ?....key difference is...they are Thai, its their country, your not dear boy...thumbsup.gif

He is referring to an ebay business that operates from the UK, nothing to do with Thailand. He even said someone would be pretty much operating it for him, or at least sending things out. He would be just withdrawing the money over here updating listings I guess.

It's hardly illegal working activity. Thousands of people these days have Internet businesses. Are you saying they have to abandon them if they go travelling somewhere as they'll be breaking the law?

He has income from a business in the UK and while he's a 'tourist' he wants to use his income from that. There is absolutely nothing wrong with that. He's not talking about buying and shipping stuff back from here as far as I could read into it.

If he did that (or other work like managing a bar as he mentioned) that would be different.

• Like 1

Some have a real bee in their bonnet over this issue.

The truth is, however, the authorities aren't in a position to actually catch people working online so they have to resort to going on suspicion if and when foreigners re-enter the kingdom on any number of visas and, in doing so, end up denying entry to perfectly legitimate, law-abiding foreigners.

They should be catching people in their place of work, not pissing in the wind at the immigration counter at at time when millions are seriously considering whether or not they actually WANT to be holidaying in or living in a country ruled by a military junta.

Some have a real bee in their bonnet over this issue.

The truth is, however, the authorities aren't in a position to actually catch people working online so they have to resort to going on suspicion if and when foreigners re-enter the kingdom on any number of visas and, in doing so, end up denying entry to perfectly legitimate, law-abiding foreigners.

They should be catching people in their place of work, not pissing in the wind at the immigration counter at at time when millions are seriously considering whether or not they actually WANT to be holidaying in or living in a country ruled by a military junta.

Yes, some people do have a bee in their bonnet when it comes to low class chav scum who abuse the system of their host country with scant regard as to the affects to the futures of the honest, hardworking and long term expats in that country.

In fact, some people also have a bee in their bonnet with the idiots that support those same low class chav scum.

The truth is that if you did not have a-holes abusing the system then the authorities would not have to clamp down on long term residents with no money or visible means to support their extended and suspicious stay in the kingdom.

Edited by tonytigerbkk
  • Like 2

Yeah whatever

There's nothing you can do about it so you might as well get on with whatever life you have and save your bile for something you can actually influence.

Wow, what a great argument.

There is no doubt that if you had attended school you would have been on the school debating team.

Lately this board is starting to look more and more like the Jeremy Kyle.

For our American cousins, the Jeremy Kyle show is a little bit like the Jerry Springer show but with a lower class of trailer trash with less teeth and Burberry hats.

• Like 1

your right it is very difficult to catch people working on line, so in reality what they are doing is actually a good way of doing it, by snagging people at the border you don't need resources to investigate people at in their place of work, you don't need to prove they are working illegally, no court cases, no deportation cases etc.

Immigration just needs to suspect your working illegal and you cant give a legitimate reason why your in country or how your supporting yourself, they can decline entry, and the beauty of the system is, they don't need to track down people and by doing it at the borders, people will eventually come to you

honestly if your think Thai immigration are a*ses, you obviously haven't travelled much, Thai immigration are light weights compared to some immigration departments

• Like 2

Yeah whatever

There's nothing you can do about it so you might as well get on with whatever life you have and save your bile for something you can actually influence.

You don't seem to want to accept that breaking the laws isn't ok.