Has anyone else's power bills doubled? Summer rates maybe?

Your condo owner may be charging you 6 to 8 Baht per KWH. My bill in a one room apartment normally 750.

Last month 1,500 almost half my rent. In kalasin, Isaan 97 to 100 degrees daily, using the A/C quite a bit more.

Most apartment owners in Thailand double the amount that they pay the electric company, so they make a 50% profit on your electrical use on top of your rent, water probably the same.

Back to the fan.

No, they make a 100% profit if they double the cost, which most do.

There's a lot of confusion about "profit" percentages.

If something costs 100 baht and you sell it for 200 baht, it has a 100% "mark-up"...but only a 50% "profit."

Think about your statement, "they make a 100% profit..." That means that ALL the money received is "profit"--100%

Unless you get something for FREE, you can never have "100% profit."

It's a confusion between the terms "mark-up" and "margin."

100% "Mark-up" (above cost) = 50% "Profit Margin" (50% of the Selling Price...is Profit...and 50%...is your cost-of-goods-sold.)

Spoken correctly, you should only talk about "profit percentages" in relation to Selling Prices, because the Selling Price is the only one that has profits!

The other is a "Mark-up percentage."

Make sense?

Yes, though very verbose. I actually realised I'd expressed the matter wrongly immediately after posting, but I couldn't be bothered to change it. In my opinion, to be less technical and more informative to the readers than you, the point is that the cost of an electricity unit is about 2.5 baht and a great deal of landlords bill tenants at 5 baht a unit, so tenants are being charged about double what they would be if they were billed directly by the utility company.

Edited by sprq

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, though very verbose. I actually realised I'd expressed the matter wrongly immediately after posting, but I couldn't be bothered to change it. In my opinion, to be less technical and more informative to the readers than you, the point is that the cost of an electricity unit is about 2.5 baht and a great deal of landlords bill tenants at 5 baht a unit, so tenants are being charged about double what they would be if they were billed directly by the utility company.

Cost of electricity is 2.5 baht/KWH!!!....I wish.

Please review the attachments in post number 39 for MEA (Bangkok electric company) residential rates and the PEA rates are basically the same...probably identical. Anyway, when the basic rate, plus the Ft, plus 7% VAT, plus a few other small fees are added by the electric company the rate per KWH "when billed directly by the electric company" is going to be around 4.5 to 4.8 baht/KWH for the great majority of folks depending on the amount of electricity they use each month. Mine works out to 4.8 baht since the wife and I like air conditioning....we are billed directly by the electric company and the electric account is in the wife's name. But for those folks not billed directly by MEA/PEA but via their building management/landlord then the rate is quite often higher due to the landlord upping the charge per KWH.

the cost of an electricity unit is about 2.5 baht and a great deal of landlords bill tenants at 5 baht a unit,

The basic cost of electric last month here in Bangkok was 3.8 baht per unit for normal household and cost after ft/tax came to 4.8 baht per unit - electric has not been 2.5 baht in my recent memory.

It makes a difference if your paying the electric company rate or a condo rate which can be double. We have a 40sq. metre condo unit in Chiang Mai and our bill has never gone over 700 bahts a month. Last electric bill was 657 bahts. Multiple fans are the answer. In our condo unit we have a security screen door at the front so we leave the inside door open and the air flow is good on most days.

Your condo owner may be charging you 6 to 8 Baht per KWH. My bill in a one room apartment normally 750.

Last month 1,500 almost half my rent. In kalasin, Isaan 97 to 100 degrees daily, using the A/C quite a bit more.

Most apartment owners in Thailand double the amount that they pay the electric company, so they make a 50% profit on your electrical use on top of your rent, water probably the same.

Back to the fan.

No, they make a 100% profit if they double the cost, which most do.

There's a lot of confusion about "profit" percentages.

If something costs 100 baht and you sell it for 200 baht, it has a 100% "mark-up"...but only a 50% "profit."

Think about your statement, "they make a 100% profit..." That means that ALL the money received is "profit"--100%

Unless you get something for FREE, you can never have "100% profit."

It's a confusion between the terms "mark-up" and "margin."

100% "Mark-up" (above cost) = 50% "Profit Margin" (50% of the Selling Price...is Profit...and 50%...is your cost-of-goods-sold.)

Spoken correctly, you should only talk about "profit percentages" in relation to Selling Prices, because the Selling Price is the only one that has profits!

The other is a "Mark-up percentage."

Make sense?

So..."correcting" someone else's correct information with incorrect information...realizing you got it wrong...and then leaving the error uncorrected...is your idea of being "informative?" Gotcha.

Succinct enough?

• 1 month later...

Just as a matter of interest

Since I posted last on this thread complaining about the hike in the electric bill for that month we were talking about , we have done nothing different in our house regarding usage of electro at all but the recent bills have been back to normal and at least 1200 Baht a month less.

So I wonder why there was this massive hike in prices that particular month

Edited by n210mp

Most likely less rain/clouds than now. Makes a big difference in the amount of air conditioning required to keep cool - we had a very hot period earlier in the year (at record levels many days).

You do make a valid point but not to the extent of the vast difference in the bills over a period where the heat was consistently high with high levels of humidity.

You see two the months before the big bill was also red hot with high humidity and the bill was the same as normal then we got the big bill with the same heat and humidity as those previous two , then the month after the big bill was also high heat and humidity and the bill went back to what I refer to normal

it was only after two months that the climate started cooling down to the extent that it may have made any difference to the consumption.

Methinks that that those who run the organization needed some input of big money to facilitate whatever it was that needed repair or renewal or other things that cannot be stated on TV if you get my drift?

One thing I know and that is we did not use the amount that we were billed for, without a doubt and our neighbours also complained of the same thing and were scratching their heads wondering why the bill for that one month was in some cases a 33% to 50% higher.

I guess we will never know!