NACC resuming inquiry into rice pledging scheme

Lite Beer

NACC resuming inquiry into rice pledging scheme

BANGKOK, 31 May 2014, (NNT) - The National Anti Corruption Commission (NACC) Secretary General Sansern Poljiak, has announced that his agency is about to resume its inquiry into the damage caused by the last government’s rice pledging scheme, during the supervision of the former Minister of Commerce Niwatthamrong Boonsongpaisan and former Deputy Minister of Commerce, Yanyong Puangrach.

An additional four witnesses are to be questioned by the investigators.

According to the NACC, the inquiry of the Director General of the Department of Internal Trade Somchart Soithong resumes on Tuesday June 3rd at 1.30 pm, while Mr. Kulit Sombutsiri, an Inspector of the Ministry of Finance, is scheduled to attend the inquiry at 1.30 pm the following day.

On Thursday at 9.30 am, Mr. Rangsang Sriworasart, Permanent Secretary of the Ministry of Finance would attend the inquiry, the NACC stated, adding that the week’s investigations would end with the testimony of the Managing Director of the Bank of Agriculture and Agricultural Cooperatives on Friday June 6th at 9.30 AM.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2014-05-31 footer_n.gif

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Censorship doesn't change who are the guilty ones - the NACC have been busy looking into this for a long time.

The Army has said no elections until after the reforms, so demanding elections sooner is a waste of time, not so much a crime unless you make a public demonstration.

Are there any specific charges or is this just a hunting expedition?

yes hunting down the thieves khun bill.they have been doing so for over a year..but yinluck said ..when she was the puppet pm that it only took 3 weeks..because that was what someone told her to say...like it or hate it thailand is much more happier and stable since 9 days ago..except for a couple of pundits on here..wai2.gif

So I'll take from your reply that it is a hunting expedition with no specific charges yet. I'm interested because I think the Rice Scheme was a good thing and hope it or some subsidy like it will be continued to support the rural areas. It would be too bad if embezzlement, outright theft or criminal mismanagement would prove to taint the entire program.

People are usually happier and more content when their problems seem to have melted away under some spell like that of alcohol. Unfortunately the next morning they often awake with a headache and find their problems have returned. Of course they could choose to just keep on drinking. Facing problems sober and head-on is not a lot of fun for anyone. sad.png

yes hunting down the thieves khun bill.they have been doing so for over a year..but yinluck said ..when she was the puppet pm that it only took 3 weeks..because that was what someone told her to say...like it or hate it thailand is much more happier and stable since 9 days ago..except for a couple of pundits on here..wai2.gif

So I'll take from your reply that it is a hunting expedition with no specific charges yet. I'm interested because I think the Rice Scheme was a good thing and hope it or some subsidy like it will be continued to support the rural areas. It would be too bad if embezzlement, outright theft or criminal mismanagement would prove to taint the entire program.

People are usually happier and more content when their problems seem to have melted away under some spell like that of alcohol. Unfortunately the next morning they often awake with a headache and find their problems have returned. Of course they could choose to just keep on drinking. Facing problems sober and head-on is not a lot of fun for anyone. sad.png

Honest bill i tried to follow your logic but failed, So you believe any person who was involved in the loss of 500 billion + missing rice has since this coup turned to alcohol?

Edited by tingtongfarang
  • Like 1

Are they referring to the last Government as Yinlucks or the last one as in the last acting PM who only lasted a week or so ?

Same organ grinder. Just differnt monkeys. Same government too, I am sure you will find after earnest and exhaustive research.

Welcome back. So many have left lately & not come back, well at least not under the same name, anyway. A lot has happened lately. Seems you have not had a chance to catch up with the real direction of play yet..

• Like 2

Under the news censorship rules. I am expecting everybody who has ever had anything to do with the Shins to be found guilty of many crimes. Next will be anybody who has been associated with the UDD and then it will be anybody who is critical of the army. Then everybody who demands elctions.

They will all be guilty.

If by "elctions" you mean dodgy elections that are based on intimidation and blatant vote buying, then I agree with your comment, for the very first time ! (except for the silly army bit) biggrin.png

GOOD! There are people liable for the deaths...and heartache...the rice farmers have had to endure because of gov't mismanagement of the rice pledge...jail time will do them good...

• Like 1

Under the news censorship rules. I am expecting everybody who has ever had anything to do with the Shins to be found guilty of many crimes. Next will be anybody who has been associated with the UDD and then it will be anybody who is critical of the army. Then everybody who demands elctions.

They will all be guilty.

You should read more

They have already said in the move forward their will be elections at Stage 3

• Like 1

I know this is nothing to do with this particular story but it would be a good thing for the junta to supply a special phone number to report corruption by Thai officials, like police demanding payment for something and immigration officials that demand payments of 20,000baht+ to give you a retirement or marriage visa.

It has happened to me 3 times, been married for 4 years to Thai lady and this is what they want, it was a lady officer in Khon Kaen, each time I just picked up my papers and said no thank you and walked out.

The NACC are inquiring into irregularities concerning the the running of the Rice Pledging Scheme, no doubt the charge sheet will contain a lot of names and a lot of charges such as:

• Corruption
  • Embezzle
  • Graft
  • Misuse of Public Office
  • Dereliction of Duty
  • Theft
  • Deception

& so on...

Honest bill i tried to follow your logic but failed, So you believe any person who was involved in the loss of 500 billion + missing rice has since this coup turned to alcohol?

My logic should be easy to follow. I asked "are there specific charges?" I could add 'against specific people'? You seem to believe there is a loss of 500 billion baht and missing rice. From where or whom did you hear these figures and reports? I've heard rumors and allegations of this too, but that was during the Red Shirt/Yellow Shirt tug-of-war and very subject to skepticism - at least IMO. Is that what this NACC investigation is about?

And 500 billion baht is certainly hyperbole, isn't it? The junta's current payments of the delayed payments are said to total 92 billion. In my area about 2/3 of the farmers had already been paid by the former government. Event if that was only 1/2 my quick math tells me the total couldn't be much more than 200 billion. Where did the claim 500 billion loss come from? And even at that there is no "loss" of 500 or 200 billion. There is still rice to sell, isn't there? And the program never was intended to make a profit or even break even, was it? It was a subsidy. The government bought rice at above-market prices and was then to sell it overseas. Any difference would be made up out of the general fund. That's how a subsidy works.

Is there rice missing? Again, I've heard rumors and allegations of this but have seen no definite accounting. I assume the NACC investigation will cover this also and determine if there is, how much and whether this is due to mismanagement or theft.

My alcohol analogy might be harder to follow. It was in response to GoodThaiGirl's remark that "thailand is much more happier (sic) and stable since 9 days ago". It was merely to remind that some things bring happiness in the short term, but not always a happiness that lasts.

Thanks for engaging with me in a discussion about the Rice Pledging Scheme. I really do want to know why so many Farangs and Thais on this forum seem to be so vehemently disgusted and opposed to it, when in my experience out here in the rural areas it was seen to be of great benefit to the famers and farming communities. It's hard to distinguish between the objections focusing on the program itself, or on just the alleged mismanagement of the program, or just a dislike of the former government in general.

Your (or anyone else's) comments would be appreciated...

So much has been said about missing rice but really nothing as yet materialized. This started from Khun Supa allegation that 2.7 M ton was missing. Whatever her motives were, it turned out that the missing rice has yet to be documented since it was milled at that time. This was confirmed by the President of Public Warehouse Organisation.

@Billsmart

It was the finance ministry about 5 days ago that estimated the losses at 500Bn and the missing rice at about 3m Tonnes.

These are estimates rather than rumours, but need to be investigated.

You are asking for proof positive, that is why they do the investigation to find out where the discrepancy comes from

• Like 1

They will all be guilty.

Jeeze guy, give it a rest. Your side lost, in spades.

Democracy has not lost, it is just taking a rest. The people of Thailand will, one day, have democracy again and the Ammart will take it away again, but eventually democracy will triumph.

It is just a matter of time and the people are getting stronger.

• Like 1

My logic should be easy to follow. I asked "are there specific charges?" I could add 'against specific people'? You seem to believe there is a loss of 500 billion baht and missing rice. From where or whom did you hear these figures and reports? I've heard rumors and allegations of this too, but that was during the Red Shirt/Yellow Shirt tug-of-war and very subject to skepticism - at least IMO. Is that what this NACC investigation is about?

And 500 billion baht is certainly hyperbole, isn't it? The junta's current payments of the delayed payments are said to total 92 billion. In my area about 2/3 of the farmers had already been paid by the former government. Event if that was only 1/2 my quick math tells me the total couldn't be much more than 200 billion. Where did the claim 500 billion loss come from? And even at that there is no "loss" of 500 or 200 billion. There is still rice to sell, isn't there? And the program never was intended to make a profit or even break even, was it? It was a subsidy. The government bought rice at above-market prices and was then to sell it overseas. Any difference would be made up out of the general fund. That's how a subsidy works.

Is there rice missing? Again, I've heard rumors and allegations of this but have seen no definite accounting. I assume the NACC investigation will cover this also and determine if there is, how much and whether this is due to mismanagement or theft.

My alcohol analogy might be harder to follow. It was in response to GoodThaiGirl's remark that "thailand is much more happier (sic) and stable since 9 days ago". It was merely to remind that some things bring happiness in the short term, but not always a happiness that lasts.

Thanks for engaging with me in a discussion about the Rice Pledging Scheme. I really do want to know why so many Farangs and Thais on this forum seem to be so vehemently disgusted and opposed to it, when in my experience out here in the rural areas it was seen to be of great benefit to the famers and farming communities. It's hard to distinguish between the objections focusing on the program itself, or on just the alleged mismanagement of the program, or just a dislike of the former government in general.

Your (or anyone else's) comments would be appreciated...

For starters you had better look into who people define as the farmers.

You can ask most of the farmers in Thailand --have you any money due that should have been paid back--answer NO. Because most of these peasant farmers only grow for themselves and sell off stored surplus out of their rice house when funds are needed.

leaving large land owners/or lessees more in the picture. Then the big boys the middlemen--millers--rice farm storage, this is the bracket where I would think the corruption would take place--and where government failed.

That's true that farmers are unhappy in just about every rice schemes. The farmers during the Dem administration were also unhappy and protested although they got little covage. As you correctly said, the middle men, millers are the portion that need a thorough revamping. Descranpancies in determining moisture content for instance must be reviewed and better manage.

• Like 1