Driving courses to be offered in English, Russian and Burmese for Phuket foreigners

Lite Beer

Driving courses to be offered in English, Russian and Burmese for Phuket foreigners
Phuket Gazette -

1_2014531133636148_jImORDyCrAiTIdfTyepdr

Representatives from five Phuket educational institutions signed a MoU with PLTO Chief Terayout

PHUKET: Several educational institutions on the island will soon offer training courses in English, as well as Russian and Burmese, for foreigners wanting to get their driver’s licence.

Read More: http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket-news/Driving-courses-be-offered-English-Russian-Burmese/29633#ad-image-0

pglogo.jpg
-- Phuket Gazette 2014-05-31

They should better offer driving courses in Thai, because 90% of the foreigners that want to get a Thai driver license are already experienced drivers at home.

A good start... but also need to change Thai driver's attitude.

But you will still see many under aged bike drivers on the road.

Also need police on the road. I ravel on a weekly basis from Hua Hin to Bangkok and cannot remember the last time I saw a Highway Patrol car stop a vehicle.

• Like 1

Good idea, when I took my test there was a 1-1.5 hour prep in Thai to the "class". Not much help to any foreigner, no materials in English. I felt bad for the German guy, prepped in Thai, tested in English, failed twice.

Has it ever occurred to you that "Thais" see "us" as the problem?

In their prospective , they (foreigners) don't drive like us (Thais), so they (foreigners) must be wrong and they (foreigners) need correcting.

They should better offer driving courses in Thai, because 90% of the foreigners that want to get a Thai driver license are already experienced drivers at home.

A good start... but also need to change Thai driver's attitude.

But you will still see many under aged bike drivers on the road.

Also need police on the road. I ravel on a weekly basis from Hua Hin to Bangkok and cannot remember the last time I saw a Highway Patrol car stop a vehicle.

So because you haven't seen it happen, that means it doesn't happen? Makes sense.

Good idea, when I took my test there was a 1-1.5 hour prep in Thai to the "class". Not much help to any foreigner, no materials in English. I felt bad for the German guy, prepped in Thai, tested in English, failed twice.

This is Thailand, why should they be expected to produce anything related to the driving test in English? Does any other country, anywhere, produce driving test information in Thai or any language other than it's own?

To be honest, I started to laugh when I first saw this but.....

My wife has been driving in CNX since she was in her teens and is an excellent driver. In fact when we went to live in Australia for a few years, she passed the written and practical tests with top marks and the first time.

I discovered that the Rule Book in Western Australia is now quite a substantial publication. Sure, the test provided for "Multiple Choice Answers."

She got 100% first pop. (Don't know if I could now do that.)

Then the Driving Test, including Reverse Angle Parking etc., and again she passed on the first attempt.

So while we all complain (with much justification) about many Thai Drivers, there are at least SOME (like my wife) who are probably a lot better than SOME of the Farang.