Which prepaid 3G? Which dongle? For occasional visitor

I want to give my laptop and tablet internet capability when I am in Thailand. I'm usually in Thailand for 1 week to 1 month at a time, then I am gone.

So I want a Data SIM that I can prepay and only pay for what I use, and I want it to be active and refillable if I leave Thailand and come back in 6 months or so.

I'm confused by all the options. There's 3G, there's something called EDGE (I have no idea what it is) and some SIMS seem to have "Wifi capability." Does that mean that there will be a wifi connection available wherever I go?

I don't care which system it uses, I just want to be connected to internet as cheaply as possible. Speed is not important. Voice calling capability would be nice, though I could live without it.

Also there seem to be many types of USB 3G dongles available. I don't know which one to buy. I want a dongle that will work with EVERY sim that I might buy in Thailand or in the other countries I visit (Asia and E. Europe). Which dongle should I buy?

Thanks for any advice

Do you have a mobile phone?

Do you have a budget?

Any details on the tablet? WiFi only?

Based on what little detail you've provided I might recommend a MiFi device, which allows you to share the mobile data connection via WiFi. But you may already have a phone that does this?

More detail always helps.

I might also recommend TrueMove H, their SIMs are easy to extend validity to 1 year with multiple small value top-ups ( 12 top-ups, 10/12 baht each, so 1 year expiry for 144 baht ).

http://truemoveh.truecorp.co.th/3g/toppings/iplay/entry/654

http://truemoveh.truecorp.co.th/product/detail/1157 un-branded ZTE MF65

http://truemoveh.truecorp.co.th/3g/sim-truemoveh/prepaid/all

Edited by lomatopo

Do you have a mobile phone?

Do you have a budget?

Any details on the tablet? WiFi only?

Based on what little detail you've provided I might recommend a MiFi device, which allows you to share the mobile data connection via WiFi. But you may already have a phone that does this?

More detail always helps.

I might also recommend TrueMove H, their SIMs are easy to extend validity to 1 year with multiple small value top-ups ( 12 top-ups, 10/12 baht each, so 1 year expiry for 144 baht ).

http://truemoveh.truecorp.co.th/3g/toppings/iplay/entry/654

http://truemoveh.truecorp.co.th/product/detail/1157 un-branded ZTE MF65

http://truemoveh.truecorp.co.th/3g/sim-truemoveh/prepaid/all

Thanks for your reply. I have a phone and it has Wifi, but it's not a smartphone. It has two SIM slots and one is occupied with a voice-only SIM. I have no idea if I can put a data sim in it. Anyway, the screen is too tiny to use for web surfing.

The tablet is a cheap China tablet and the laptop is an old Acer. They both have Wifi. But the hotels I stay at often don't have good wifi or the wifi isn't available in the rooms, only the lobby, or there's an extra fee for it.

I never heard of MiFi. Will have to google that. really I would like a simple solution, not a complex one of connecting phone to computer. A simple dongle would be fine, I just want to find a minimalist data plan that suits my occasional visits and is cheap. Perhaps one of your links will be the answer. I will visit them. Thanks again.

I use dtac and if you pay for the higher monthly packages, 650 baht for 3GB of data for the month, you have free access to city wi fi where it's available. I would recommend that you use a data package as it works out expensive if you just top up without a package. see below

http://www.dtac.co.th/en/prepaid/products/Happy-internet-package.html

I see they've changed the data limits now, more data for the same price.

Perhaps with a data card for your phone you could tether the phone to computer for internet usage? Otherwise use free wifi at hotel, mcdonalds etc...

If you cannot tether your current phone, about time to upgrade and perhaps buy a suitable cheap smart phone while in Thailand?

When tethering, the mobile phone then becomes just a "wifi dongle". and you can also use the phone for "phone" contact. HTH

If arriving by KLM, they hand out free DTAC Happy SIMS in the jetway to disembarking passengers. Activate it, top it up, call their customer service and get the data package.

I am not sure which providers will keep your SIM 'live' if unused for 6 months. It used to be topping up before you left extended the life but I know AIS's recent offering no longer support this option. You would need to contact each provider (look at their website) and see how they handle 'sleepers'. However, since you are only looking for a data SIM, there's no real need to save a number and just get the latest/best package each time you come back. The market and competition is very dynamic.

Posted 2014-05-31 15:18:37
I want to give my laptop and tablet internet capability when I am in Thailand. I'm usually in Thailand for 1 week to 1 month at a time, then I am gone.
So I want a Data SIM that I can prepay and only pay for what I use, and I want it to be active and refillable if I leave Thailand and come back in 6 months or so.
I'm confused by all the options. There's 3G, there's something called EDGE (I have no idea what it is) and some SIMS seem to have "Wifi capability." Does that mean that there will be a wifi connection available wherever I go?
I don't care which system it uses, I just want to be connected to internet as cheaply as possible. Speed is not important. Voice calling capability would be nice, though I could live without it.
Also there seem to be many types of USB 3G dongles available. I don't know which one to buy. I want a dongle that will work with EVERY sim that I might buy in Thailand or in the other countries I visit (Asia and E. Europe). Which dongle should I buy?
Thanks for any advice

As the newer SIMs offered in Thailand will expire if not regularly topped up you will probably be better off just getting a new SIM each time upon arrival.

Easy enough with a PrePay SIM to Top-up the account at 7/11 or most any Mom and Pop store. Then use the USSD code (ie: *nnn#) to select a data package and go. Many carriers allow you to subscribe to a data plan based either on time or amount of data. None can really be said to be a good bargain.

LTE / 3G / EDGE and WiFi: Data Internet protocols.

• LTE, while potentially the fastest at up-to 100mbps, is only in very limited markets here.
  • 3G offers up to 42mbps depending on the speed capabilities of your device. (Some device hardware limits download speed to 3.5, 7, 21mbps)
  • EDGE, an older 2G protocol, offers up to 384kbps, You might see this speed listed at the Fair-Use Policy on 'Unlimited Internet' plans where you connect at full 3G speed for a certain amount of data then your speed drops to the plan's lower speed (384, or 256, or 64kbps) for the duration of the plan period.
  • WiFi: Bundled 'branded' WiFi Hotspot packages that can be accessed while at limited venues such as malls, commercial fast-food and coffee shops. Look for the carrier-branded WiFi signs.

3G USB Dongles: If you want to freely switch carriers you'll need to purchase one that is NOT carrier branded. What dongle you should purchase depends what frequencies (band) you'll need for the provider you're using, and what potential data speed (3.5, 7, 21, 42mbps ). Most of the mobile carries in Thailand have towers on 2100 now, and many users report speeds ranging from 1 to 10mbps when connected, with some rare towers offering higher speed ranges.

If you have multiple devices or like using the Internet while with a group you might consider a MiFi or similar stand-alone device that connects to the 3G network and then shares that connection with up to 10 devices via WiFi. Some SmartPhones also have this capability, allowing you to configure it as a WiFi Hotspot.

• Like 1

I would go TRUE Move or AIS. TRUE seemed to have the better 3gb package with free wifi but AIS seems to have better coverage if you go into rural areas. The free wifi is dependant if there is a wifi hotspot in the area. I know in Bangkok TRUE seems to have more wifi hotspots than 3BB (AIS) but in Phuket where I am I notice more 3BB. If your staying at a location that has a a hotspot in the area dont bother with the 3G because just paying the 99thb per month for unlimited wifi is the best deal you can find.

Im lucky to have a 3bb hotspot right next to my house so I get 10mbps at a measly 99thb per month.

Thanks for the very useful replies. As for the dongle, I don't know what frequencies I will need to use in future. I plan to use it in many different countries and I don't know what their frequencies are. I hope there are dongles at Pantip that sync with pretty much any frequency out there.

If you have multiple devices or like using the Internet while with a group you might consider a MiFi or similar stand-alone device that connects to the 3G network and then shares that connection with up to 10 devices via WiFi. Some SmartPhones also have this capability, allowing you to configure it as a WiFi Hotspot.

A good call for travelers. I have an ASUS WL-330N3G (on the left) that I can either configure as a wifi access point on a LAN or plug in (any) 3G dongle and share the connection.

If the OP (or anyone) is interested, I have an almost new TP-Link TL-MR3020 (on the right) that is up for grabs. I bought it first locally but I haven't used it since I bought the ASUS one in the UK.

post-35874-0-13916600-1401765897_thumb.j

TrueMove H have great coverage via their 3G/850 MHz deal with CAT, the fewest customers and the most affiliated WiFi APs (True WiFi, 100,000 APs).

Assuming you want to share the mobile data connection (2G/3G) with both your lap-top and your tablet, via WiFi, you'll need a device which supports that functionality. Hence the MiFi recommendation, although there are some newer USB air-cards which offer this enhanced functionality, i.e ZTE MF 70.

http://www.totalaircard.com/products/ZTE-MF70-3G-Mobile-WiFi.html

• Like 1

Thanks for the very useful replies. As for the dongle, I don't know what frequencies I will need to use in future. I plan to use it in many different countries and I don't know what their frequencies are. I hope there are dongles at Pantip that sync with pretty much any frequency out there.

"...that sync with pretty much any frequency out there."

No such animal.

The built-in radios, amplifiers and antennas of a device need to be tuned to a certain frequency in order to work efficiently.

Most mobile devices will support 3, 4 or 5 frequency 'bands' at the most (Tri-band, Quad-band or Penta-band operation). While it's possible you might find ONE unit that covers all your needs you may find it necessary to own two or more -- it really depends on how many bands need to cover.

YOU will need to do the research since only you know the country and service providers you're interested in.

VOICE and DATA operate on separate radios, and Mobile Operators can have Voice/Data in the same or in different bands

GSM is a designation for VOICE/SMS/MMS [There are other technologies but GSM is the most universal]

LTE; HSPA+; HSdPA/ HSuPA; UMTS; and EDGE are designations for DATA (Internet)

Take a look at these Wikipedia lists of mobile network operators by country and

Americas | Asia Pacific region | Europe | Middle East and Africa

1. Find what technology and frequency they're operating on.
  2. Find a device (or devices) that cover the most common tech/frequencies for the countries you're interested in having data access.

If I was doing extensive travel, I would probably skip all this and either do forum searches or ask around while there for the better/cheaper ISPs in the area and buy another device if the one's I already owned didn't work.