Warning of highly addictive 'yaba'

Lite Beer

If I kidnapped you and subjected you to meth (yaba) for six days, I WOULD OWN YOU.

This is nonsense - it is a drug, not black magic - but it is certainly possible that someone would like it enough to keep doing it on their own.
probaby accurate for the casual user, but not so for the more vunerable, the ramifications can be/are horrific.

That is the same with every drug.. why do you think there are alcoholics while the majority can drink the hard drug alcohol without problems ?

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry I'm probably a bit naive regarding drug abuse. So yaba = methamphetamine? In the series Breaking Bad they always seem to smoke it, but it's my impression that Thai's use it in pill form, why the difference? Just curious.

In general they smoke the pills but they can be swallowed too. I think its just a way to get a standard quantity and price.

Yep. Also yaba is a mixture of meth, caffeine and other additives and is significantly cheaper than crystal meth, which is the purer form you see Walt cooking in Breaking Bad.

Sorry I'm probably a bit naive regarding drug abuse. So yaba = methamphetamine? In the series Breaking Bad they always seem to smoke it, but it's my impression that Thai's use it in pill form, why the difference? Just curious.

You can smoke it, eat it or inject it.

Same for most drugs.

Yaba, Smoke and inject are for the hard liners, quicker and more intense effect.

So many young Thais take yaba, you wouldn't believe it.

Most eat or smoke.

Edited by AnotherOneAmerican

Sounds like a non sense article, especially if you look at the effects on wiki: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dimethylamphetamine

You talk like a dealer and surely not as a doctor my friend...

Its called google. a wonderful invention which helps pass time in between snide posts on ThaiVisa. Give it a whirl.

Come on Jeremy own up you look like Walter White in that pic! 55555555

Sounds like a non sense article, especially if you look at the effects on wiki: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dimethylamphetamine

Its called google. a wonderful invention which helps pass time in between snide posts on ThaiVisa. Give it a whirl.

Come on Jeremy own up you look like Walter White in that pic! 55555555

Prefer to be called "heisenberg" if possible, just don't tell anyone.

• Like 1

He seems rather ill-informed or the article got the name of the drug wrong, if Wikipedia is to be believed. Strictly speaking no amphetamines are physically addictive, although they can be psychologically addictive. Anyway, if he was really talking about dimethylamphetamine "the two pills and you're hooked" is clearly an exaggeration (not that I would advocate trying it or any other amphetamine as all are ultimately very damaging to the health). Perhaps he has been watching "Reefer Madness".

Its standard of anti drug crusaders to exaggerate the effects, in the Vietnam and other wars pilots and others have been using amphetamine and they did not end up all druggies. I have tried quite a few drugs in my time and know quite a few causal users.

There are always people that can't handle it that is why there are alcoholics too. A part of the population just can't handle drugs (alcohol included as its a hard drug the one that does the most damage world wide)

Extensive research of Western cultures has consistently shown increased survival associated with light to moderate alcohol consumption.[22] A 23-year prospective study of 12,000 male British physicians aged 48–78, found that overall mortality was significantly lower in current drinkers compared to non-drinkers even after correction for ex-drinkers.

But of course, if someone drinks like there is no tomorrow...

A moderate amount of alcool has been determined as beneficial...

A moderate amount of nicotine does ot exist...

A moderate amount of strychnine is NOT beneficial

A moderate amount of Ya Bah is not beneficial

He seems rather ill-informed or the article got the name of the drug wrong, if Wikipedia is to be believed. Strictly speaking no amphetamines are physically addictive, although they can be psychologically addictive. Anyway, if he was really talking about dimethylamphetamine "the two pills and you're hooked" is clearly an exaggeration (not that I would advocate trying it or any other amphetamine as all are ultimately very damaging to the health). Perhaps he has been watching "Reefer Madness".

Its standard of anti drug crusaders to exaggerate the effects, in the Vietnam and other wars pilots and others have been using amphetamine and they did not end up all druggies. I have tried quite a few drugs in my time and know quite a few causal users.

There are always people that can't handle it that is why there are alcoholics too. A part of the population just can't handle drugs (alcohol included as its a hard drug the one that does the most damage world wide)

Extensive research of Western cultures has consistently shown increased survival associated with light to moderate alcohol consumption.[22] A 23-year prospective study of 12,000 male British physicians aged 48–78, found that overall mortality was significantly lower in current drinkers compared to non-drinkers even after correction for ex-drinkers.

Alcohol is a hard drug and your moderate amount is 1 glass no more. Look how many people take that, i can quote studies about the damage of alcohol to society they surpass any other drug. (of course also because of the amount of users).

It is a drug just like all those others:

http://www.economist.com/blogs/dailychart/2010/11/drugs_cause_most_harm

While i might not completely agree with this study there are others too that show the damage of alcohol. Anyway the law is the law and alcohol is legal.

• Like 1

You can smoke it, eat it or inject it.

Or snort it. That's how we used to do it back in the olden days.

• Like 1

Alcohol is a hard drug and your moderate amount is 1 glass no more. Look how many people take that, i can quote studies about the damage of alcohol to society they surpass any other drug. (of course also because of the amount of users).

While i might not completely agree with this study there are others too that show the damage of alcohol. Anyway the law is the law and alcohol is legal.

I agree, and if per chance alcohol had been a recent development, I am certain it would be a class-A drug. I believe 80%+ of hospital admissions and A+E treatments are alcohol related accidents or alcohol induced accidents or illnesses. Those figures would certainly make it class-A. Unfortunately, as you say, the law is the law, and on alcohol will never be changed.

I agree, and if per chance alcohol had been a recent development, I am certain it would be a class-A drug. I believe 80%+ of hospital admissions and A+E treatments are alcohol related accidents or alcohol induced accidents or illnesses. Those figures would certainly make it class-A. Unfortunately, as you say, the law is the law, and on alcohol will never be changed.

I am not calling for a ban on alcohol.. we seen how that worked. I am just asking for more realism on other drugs weed being one of them.

I have to write this again to you too Jeremy as the way people are treating the article is worrying...mainly based from your wiki link.

One idiot claims to be on his 2nd one now.

No! Sorry, you should be very careful about what you say as trivialising something potentially dangerous is irresponsible.

If you read the article properly, it says the new "crown logoed SU" pills are NOT dimethylamphetamine, but yaba LACED WITH dimethylamphetamine. That is a different concoction to either yaba or dimethylamphetamine. It is a combination of the two. Wiki does not talk about the concoction, and so far no chemists have either.

So unless you know that the combination is harmless, or no more harmful than yaba alone, you should not promote the idea that the article is ill-informed (ie wrong).

As a simple example of drug combinations, paracetamol is a good headache cure, so is ibuprofen. Combine the two (in a half dose each) and you have a better, longer lasting headache cure. Vinegar is , well vinegar, and baking powder is baking powder...combine them....

I do not claim that dimethylamphetamine-laced yaba is as the article states, but it does state it....safer to investigate what dimethylamphetamine-laced yaba does than to simply look at dimethylamphetamine or yaba alone and rubbish the article.

• Like 2

Who writes this crap?

Methamphetamine is an upper i.e. makes you have a high thats a rush and heroin is a downer i.e. it mongs you out.

These clowns should do a bit of testing before they start to write this. They may get the story right if they're out if their heads.

I have to write this again to you too Jeremy as the way people are treating the article is worrying...mainly based from your wiki link.

No! Sorry, you should be very careful about what you say as trivialising something potentially dangerous is irresponsible.

If you read the article properly, it says the new "crown logoed SU" pills are NOT dimethylamphetamine, but yaba LACED WITH dimethylamphetamine. That is a different concoction to either yaba or dimethylamphetamine. It is a combination of the two. Wiki does not talk about the concoction, and so far no chemists have either.

So unless you know that the combination is harmless, or no more harmful than yaba alone, you should not promote the idea that the article is ill-informed (ie wrong).

As a simple example of drug combinations, paracetamol is a good headache cure, so is ibuprofen. Combine the two (in a half dose each) and you have a better, longer lasting headache cure. Vinegar is , well vinegar, and baking powder is baking powder...combine them....

I do not claim that dimethylamphetamine-laced yaba is as the article states, but it does state it....safer to investigate what dimethylamphetamine-laced yaba does than to simply look at dimethylamphetamine or yaba alone and rubbish the article.

His point is that mixing dimethylamphetamine with methamphetimine would make it weaker, not stronger and he is correct.

• Like 1

In case someone is interested:

Leading causes worldwide[edit]

It is estimated that of the roughly 150,000 people who die each day across the globe, about two thirds—100,000 per day—die of age-related causes.[2] In industrialized nations the proportion is much higher, reaching 90%.[2] Thus, albeit indirectly, biological aging (senescence) is by far the leading cause of death. Whether senescence as a biological process itself can be slowed down, halted or even reversed, is a subject of current scientific speculation and research.[3]

Leading causes of preventable death worldwide as of the year 2001, according to researchers working with the Disease Control Priorities Network (DCPN) and the World Health Organization (WHO).[4] (The WHO's 2008 statistics show very similar trends.)

Cause Number of deaths resulting (millions per year) Hypertension 7.8 Smoking tobacco 5.0 Malnutrition 3.8 Sexually transmitted diseases 3.0 Poor diet 2.8 Overweight and obesity 2.5 Physical inactivity 2.0 Alcohol 1.9 Indoor air pollution from solid fuels 1.8 Unsafe water and poor sanitation 1.6

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_preventable_causes_of_death

So yes, some people over-indulge in the good things available...

Poor diet is even more of a danger....

When I first came to Thailand you could buy just about any drug over the counter with the exception of heroin and cocaine. I am not pro-drug but Thailand didn't have a drug problem then (except for exports) like it has had for the last twenty years. In Laos and Cambodia you could buy grass in the market by the kilo just like any other vegetable and it was a common ingredient in noodle soup in Thailand especially Chiang Mai.

Recreational drugs were seen as a very low class thing. Make something illegal and everyone wants it.

It is true. I bought a slimming preparation with active ingredient dexamphetamine in a Thai pharmacy without the need for a prescription in the late 80s or early 90s. Many types of downers were also available. Now even caffeine pills like pro plus are banned, not to mention that there no effective cold medicine available OTC any more meaning an expensive visit to a hospital to get a small strip of actifeds.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

I remember when many of the mom and pop stores had Valium sitting on the counter. I hardly ever need one, but it was nice not having to go through a whole bunch of hassle when going on a flight or a bus trip and want to sleep.

Edited by Ulysses G.

In case someone is interested:

Leading causes worldwide[edit]

It is estimated that of the roughly 150,000 people who die each day across the globe, about two thirds—100,000 per day—die of age-related causes.[2] In industrialized nations the proportion is much higher, reaching 90%.[2] Thus, albeit indirectly, biological aging (senescence) is by far the leading cause of death. Whether senescence as a biological process itself can be slowed down, halted or even reversed, is a subject of current scientific speculation and research.[3]

Leading causes of preventable death worldwide as of the year 2001, according to researchers working with the Disease Control Priorities Network (DCPN) and the World Health Organization (WHO).[4] (The WHO's 2008 statistics show very similar trends.)

Cause Number of deaths resulting (millions per year) Hypertension 7.8 Smoking tobacco 5.0 Malnutrition 3.8 Sexually transmitted diseases 3.0 Poor diet 2.8 Overweight and obesity 2.5 Physical inactivity 2.0 Alcohol 1.9 Indoor air pollution from solid fuels 1.8 Unsafe water and poor sanitation 1.6

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_preventable_causes_of_death

So yes, some people over-indulge in the good things available...

Poor diet is even more of a danger....

Same thing goes for drugs enough recreational users around.. I know I was one and many of my friends too. The drug witch hunt is crazy.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

No matter what it is their will always be a market, where people feel the need to escape the real world.

yeah, but now instead of escaping by jumping off buildings....they can just take this drug.....a lot less mess. How can the 'depressed and wishing to die" quickly find out about this new revelation. Look out here comes sheryl.

That article was about as alarmist as the film Reefer Madness.

When people come out with "facts" such as after two tablets you're addicted is complete rubbish. Are they one some kind of stupid drug?

• Like 2

His point is that mixing dimethylamphetamine with methamphetimine would make it weaker, not stronger and he is correct.

How can you say that? How can he say that? Do you know what combining drugs, these particular drugs, does? Where is the evidence?

Just because one chemical (dimethylamphetamine ) is of less potency ON IT'S OWN, does not mean combining it with something else (yaba) dilutes the yaba,

Did you not consider my example of paracetamol-ibuprofen mix? (gogle it).

Before you promote dimethylamphetamine LACED yaba as of less harm or addictiveness than ordinary yaba. please supply evidence that the one dilutes the other.

And considering how harmful yaba is, and considering what the article claims, it would behoove all and sundry to get FACTS.....you, UG, are only making assumptions that could potentially destroy someone.

• Like 1

Just to avoid an overdose of your learning curve...