Siem Reap or Penang?

Siem Reap, Ang Kor Wat, is somewhere special - it really is. I don't know your nationality but you should be able to get a visa on arrival without any difficulty. In saying that, Penang is a great place to visit too, however given the choice, it would have to be SR.

• Like 1

i have been many times to both

Siem Rep BUT a week is to long

3 days at temples, 1/2 day out to Kampong Phluk ( the fishing villgae on stilts in the Tonle sap lake)

one day Museum and walking around/hanging out

5 days max VOA, no haasle at airport $20 and a pic.

Penang great for 2-3 days

• Like 2

3 days at temples, 1/2 day out to Kampong Phluk ( the fishing villgae on stilts in the Tonle sap lake)

I spent 5 days in SR and had no problems keeping myself busy. I visited some of the places way out of town, on the back of a scooter with my guide. Fantastic fun. I haven't been back in years, but hear the town is a bit more fun to cruise around now. Is that true?

Are there other places to visit nearby? I've been reading about Battambang. Have you ever been?

I like both places for different reasons but if I had to choose between the two, Siem Reap would be my choice.

Easy to spend a week, especially as the roads around Siem Reap have vastly improved over the last few years. Apart from Angkor Wat,it is now possible to visit places like Preah Vihear and Koh Ker on day trips. Battambang is also certainly worth a night or two, it is one of my favorite towns. Floating villages are nice, but there are nicer ones than Kampong Phluk.

The restaurant scene has vastly improved over the last couple of years.

Visa is dead easy, 20 Bucks and another 2 Dollars if you don't have a photo.

Message me if you need more information, I have lived here for the last 5 years.

• Like 2

Been all over Cambodia ( lived in PP for 10 months) and make at least 2 trips a years since 2006,

except the far east, heading there next month

Pub street has some nice small galeries an plenty of western food

A trip from SR to Preah Vihear via Bang Meala and Koh ker is a great 2 day trip., http://<URL Automatically Removed>/cambodia-forum/111488-trip-report-siem-reap-preah-vihear.html

Battamabang , even thou the 2nds largests city in Cambodia is very laid back an un touristy, lots of small temples in the area and the big lake 30 kms outside of town.

Edited by phuketrichard

Been all over Cambodia ( lived in PP for 10 months) and make at least 2 trips a years since 2006,

A trip from SR to Preah Vihear via Bang Meala and Koh ker is a great 2 day trip., http://<URL Automatically Removed>/cambodia-forum/111488-trip-report-siem-reap-preah-vihear.html

Battamabang , even thou the 2nds largests city in Cambodia is very laid back an un touristy, lots of small temples in the area and the big lake 30 kms outside of town.

I have to disagree, Pub Street has some of the worst food in Siem Reap. Backpacker heaven so the food is cheap, but the quality leaves much to be desired.

As I mentioned above, Preah Vihear can easily be done in a day now. Means getting up early though.

i did not say there was good food, only that western food was there.thumbsup.gif

and its not half bad if u desire a fix or a western meal

Why rush to pv and back in a day? WE left sr at 7.20 am and was in the hotel about 6pm. to get back to sr would mean another 90 minutes-2 hours driving.

PV city is a nice place with some decent resturants to spend the night

To each their ownwink.png

i did not say there was good food, only that western food was there.thumbsup.gif

and its not half bad if u desire a fix or a western meal

Why rush to pv and back in a day? WE left sr at 7.20 am and was in the hotel about 6pm. to get back to sr would mean another 90 minutes-2 hours driving.

To each their ownwink.png

I don't know when you went, but the village at the bottom of PV has been razed.

2012;

i am sure the city is still there :-)

Preah Vihear CITY ( not village) or Tbeng Meanchey is 110 kms from the Preah Vihear Temple

You seem to not understand my englsh

Or $21 if you don't have a picture (muppet here forgot until I got there, but it was no hassle just cost me an extra $1USD)

If you haven't been to SR is definitely worth the trip, but Penang is nice & staying at Batu Ferenghi (spelling???) is very chilled & cheap

Edited by JB300

I have to disagree, Pub Street has some of the worst food in Siem Reap. Backpacker heaven so the food is cheap, but the quality leaves much to be desired.

As I mentioned above, Preah Vihear can easily be done in a day now. Means getting up early though.

I would disagree with you about Pub St (and its environs). Compared to Thailand there are far more reasonably quality western eateries. Never had a bad meal in the paper Tiger, the Cambodian soup kitchen services good value basic light meals and nearby at Daksins you have the best Indian in town.

Remember - you can't take a Thai to Khao Prah Wihan.

Preah Vihear City?

I am afraid that does not exist and the town at the bottom of Preah Vihear has gone. I do believe there is a brand-new resort that has opened up nearby but I have not yet been.

Not sure why you get rude, but I guess it is Thai Visa. The city is know as Tbeng Meanchey, not Preah Vijhear City.

Jip99, I would agree with Dakshin's, but it is not on Pub Street. I do frequent the environs but only go to Pub Street to take photos for my "Angkor <deleted>" album.

A weeks holiday? Penang definitely. No need to stay in Pen,take train to KL, couple every day and cheap or take a bus there too,station just over the water,modern bus system,cheap fares too,takes you all over the island,cheapish food/hotels,beer twice the price,Guinness about the same,but it tastes better

Penang, lovely food, great shopping, colonial atmosphere...only downside for the drinkers is its expensive.

Agreed. For that reason it's great to combine it with a few days in Langkawi, catch the ferry or a 15 minute fly. The two islands couldn't be more contrasting, the bustle of Penang and the laid back beaches of Langkawi, the stunning trip and views from the cable car. and then the cherry on the cake, Langkawi is a duty free island smile.png . Great wines to be had at ridiculous prices, Tiger beer dirt cheap.

I like SR, loved Angkor Wat but havn't been back for 15 years, saw it before the hordes descended on it so can't speak for the present.

Thank you all for your replies.

I'll probably have to toss a coin in the end as positives for both.

I did visit Penang many times when stationed at Butterworth in the 70s- I'd take the ferry over just to see Kung movies, but I doubt it's the same now.

I wonder if the Million Buddha Pagoda is still there.

Edited by thaibeachlovers