Six feared dead on US mountain: report

Lite Beer

Six feared dead on US mountain: report

LOS ANGELES: Six missing US climbers were feared dead in Washington state after searchers located their equipment on Mount Rainier, NBC News reported Saturday.

"There is every indication there is not a viable chance of survival," Mount Rainier National Park ranger Fawn Bauer told NBC News. "It's a sad day."

Bauer said crews spotted the climbers' equipment from the air scattered in the snow at the base of a more than 3,000-foot (915-meter) drop leading to a deep chute and steep slope.

The area is prone to rock slides and avalanches, according to the ranger.

The six were last spoken to on Wednesday by satellite phone, the report added. Searchers tried from Friday through Saturday to locate the group, including two guides.

The mountain, an active volcano towering 14,409 feet (4,392 meters), is the state's highest.

Source: http://www.thephuketnews.com/six-feared-dead-on-us-mountain-report-46581.php

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2014-06-01

I think it's really great that some people get out and undertake such adventures. The amount of people that partake in these pastimes is of great magnitude, and the people that get into dificulty is miminal, you do not need to be rich to climb a mountain!

In the UK the government does not fund mountain rescues, the mountain rescue teams rely only on charitable donations and indeed enjoy their missions. If an helicopter is needed it is regarded as good training for the crew. So I hope these people continue to enjoy their adventures and do not have to worry if they get into trouble they will not be ignored.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Climbed Rainier when in College. Cost me less than $200 to do it. If you already have some gear.

Rainier is a dangerous place. Need to check the 5 day weather report and pick your best time to climb. Took us 3 days up and one day down. At the mid second day of the climb, we saw copters on the next ridge over (about 1-2 miles away) doing a search pattern. 3 people died that day.

Our gf were very happy to see us return on schedule. (no cell or mobile ph's back then).

My take? Rainier is a dangerous place. Even with everything going for you, and all the prep money can buy, the snow can open up below you and you could go down a 100ft hidden drop. And being roped up still wont protect you if everyone roped up is caught in a slide. We had several close calls ourselves. We were lucky and prepped well for being so young and stupid.

RIP to the climbers. "10 pts down" and stay roped up.

jamhar