Patong's "World Class Facilities"....yeah right!

xylophone

Couple of photos of some potholes, a pic of communication cables on a power pole and the whole place is doomed? If that's all you have to complain about it can't be too bad. BTW I agree with the comments about Rawai/Nai harn. Nice spot for a short stay.

Couple of photos of some potholes, a pic of communication cables on a power pole and the whole place is doomed? If that's all you have to complain about it can't be too bad. BTW I agree with the comments about Rawai/Nai harn. Nice spot for a short stay.

Obviously you haven’t been to Patong for sometime if at all. The photos don’t entirely reveal the whole story. Nor do the local media wish to expose or weigh in further to the problem since it has been a continuing saga for more than 10 years now.

Edited by MK1
  • Like 1

As long as tourists keep coming nothing will change

as soon as they don*t come any more in big numbers, everything will turn to worse...

"as soon as they don*t come any more in big numbers, everything will turn to worse..." - what about if they keep coming in "big numbers" but dont spend any money here?

Doesn't that have the same effect on the Phuket economy?

I suggest we are seeing this happening now.

Tourist numbers may be up - but dollar turnover is down.

Edited by NamKangMan
  • Like 1

Unfortunately Thailand needs 100 years of Western colonization to then be able to take care of themselves and their country in a decent, progessive manner.

Goose! Aren't you aware that NOT being colonised is what has made Thailand the paradise it is today!! thumbsup.gifclap2.gifclap2.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

Yep! Never been over run by a foreign nation..........Did it all themselves ! Must make ya proud to be Thai. cheesy.gif

Nice spot for a long stay too! I've lived in Rawai for 12 years and still like it. thumbsup.gif

i believe the tourist and even the expat living in these conditions would be fine,''if''... prices, and, the over development were not ''out of control''.yet they continue to rise..while living condition continue to deteriorate..thai.greed at its finest..

Have to agree with Valentine, it was the local gov't with their huge kickbacks that led to the place turning into a big pile of steaming world class dung.

"that led to the place turning into a big pile of steaming world class dung." - are you talking about Pattaya, or Phuket? biggrin.png

Why Pattaya?

Have to agree with Valentine, it was the local gov't with their huge kickbacks that led to the place turning into a big pile of steaming world class dung.

"that led to the place turning into a big pile of steaming world class dung." - are you talking about Pattaya, or Phuket? biggrin.png

Why Pattaya?

"Why Pattaya?" - because for years gone by, many on Phuket thought Pattaya was a cess pit, or "a big pile of steaming dung" and Phuket was so much better and more affluent, which kept the low lifes away.

Now, we see Phuket going the same direction, if not worse, at great pace, due to corruption.

One day, Phuket may make Pattaya look like a nice place to holiday and live. biggrin.png

Edited by NamKangMan

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

"that led to the place turning into a big pile of steaming world class dung." - are you talking about Pattaya, or Phuket? biggrin.png alt=biggrin.png>

Why Pattaya?

"Why Pattaya?" - because for years gone by, many on Phuket thought Pattaya was a cess pit, or "a big pile of steaming dung" and Phuket was so much better and more affluent, which kept the low lifes away.

Now, we see Phuket going the same direction, if not worse, at great pace, due to corruption.

One day, Phuket may make Pattaya look like a nice place to holiday and live. biggrin.png alt=biggrin.png>

One persons "big pile of steaming dung"...another persons "exquisite buffet"...

Middle road is a joke, they have now dug out double channels 4" deep x 8" wide in two rows a foot apart right across all intersections (must be the start of the new anti-flooding defenses) but at least they have erected all the new traffic lights around Patong that are switched off, and announced the freeing up of public parking spaces in this peaceful idyllic castaway island haven... so all is well, what you moaning about ehh? The Gov's on the case and New Lady Mayoress (when the other mob bother to turn up for the council meeting)

See her first mistake 'Flooding' she should have gone for Fair, Cheap, Decent, Public Transport, I am sure there would have been a better turn out for that topic...?

Edited by Lokie

Why Pattaya?

One day, Phuket may make Pattaya look like a nice place to holiday and live. biggrin.png

It is a nice place to live, been here 10 years mate, play 22 world class golf courses for unbelievable prices. Got good stores for my kind of food. Got nice lakes and reservoirs to fish. Got the best weather in Thailand being central. Got a friendly ex pat community just outside town. Got bars to cater for every mood.

Of course, Rawai is so much better, right? cheesy.gif

Actually, the roads in Rawai and Nai Harn are pretty good.

Kudos to whoever is in charge of them.

I agree Patong is battered. But, I imagine, give it a few more years and they might even get that new road completed.

They probably should have kept it closed until finished.

Not sure how genuine the photo's are but have seen an e-mail with stick on the road pot-holes to slow down traffic.

post-98036-0-83849300-1401755506_thumb.j

Unfortunately Thailand needs 100 years of Western colonization to then be able to take care of themselves and their country in a decent, progessive manner.

Yes, because countries which have been through that are really wonderful....Kenya, Uganda, South Africa, Zimbabwe, India, Jamaica, Zaire, Congo, and on and on.

Yes, because countries which have been through that are really wonderful....Kenya, Uganda, South Africa, Zimbabwe, India, Jamaica, Zaire, Congo, and on and on.

Australia, USA, Canada, New Zealand, etc etc

Op, you do realize this is not a First world country? What do you expect?

I expected:-

Some common sense shown when roads are being built, not having to put up with 4 years of construction lunacy; progress which should mean that Patong is a better place now than it was 10 years ago; something to show where the billions of baht of tourist spending and Govt funding has gone, and the general acceptance by those in power that corruption will not be the saviour of the place, more the destroyer of what was once a promising destination.

Not too much to ask when the place is being touted as having, "world class facilities"............not my words but those of folk enticing people to visit, invest and and stay here.

Op, you do realize this is not a First world country? What do you expect?

I expected:-

Some common sense shown when roads are being built, not having to put up with 4 years of construction lunacy; progress which should mean that Patong is a better place now than it was 10 years ago; something to show where the billions of baht of tourist spending and Govt funding has gone, and the general acceptance by those in power that corruption will not be the saviour of the place, more the destroyer of what was once a promising destination.

Not too much to ask when the place is being touted as having, "world class facilities"............not my words but those of folk enticing people to visit, invest and and stay here.

"world class facilities"............not my words but those of folk enticing people to visit, invest and and stay here." - that's what's known in the west as "false advertising." biggrin.png

• Like 1

Of course, Rawai is so much better, right? cheesy.gif

Actually, the roads in Rawai and Nai Harn are pretty good.

Kudos to whoever is in charge of them.

I agree Patong is battered. But, I imagine, give it a few more years and they might even get that new road completed.

They probably should have kept it closed until finished.

Certainly the roads that I cycle when passing through Rawai are generally in good condition. Rawai beach road has the best designated private vehicle parking areas that I've seen anywhere on the island, with properly marked spaces for motorcycles along the sidewalk next to the beach, and car parking spaces on the other side of the beach road (must be parking for over 100 cars along that road).

Agreed but when are they going to fix that hole in the sea wall thats taken out the pavement?

something to show where the billions of baht of tourist spending and Govt funding has gone,

Free vaccinations for dogs, that is the conclusion that we've previously come to on this forum...

• Like 1

something to show where the billions of baht of tourist spending and Govt funding has gone,

Free vaccinations for dogs, that is the conclusion that we've previously come to on this forum...

And, the "Patong City" sign, which is of great benefit to everyone. biggrin.png

Edited by NamKangMan
  • Like 1

And, the "Patong City" sign, which is of great benefit to everyone.

And, the "Patong City" sign, which is of great benefit to everyone involved in the procurement and contracting process of the construction.

There.. Fixed it for you.

And, the "Patong City" sign, which is of great benefit to everyone involved in the procurement and contracting process of the construction.

Sign couldn't have cost more than 500K baht, so that's 8.5 million for Pian and his cronies. But wait, don't stop there. What about the 7.3 million baht Patong Beach LED sign that Pian pushed through as a photo op feature for tourists. Did that ever even get built?

In another thread everyone is bitching about world class facilities, well I can see that Pian thought that meant over priced signs for his pals to bilk the local goverment coffers and overlook the sad state of Patong in general.

Ahhhh, thanks.

With all Phuket's "issues" - I thought this to be money well spent also.

Around 50 million baht in total. Definately something Phuket needed. Of course, no funds diverted on this purchase and construction, either. biggrin.png

http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket-news/Phuket-s-Nine-Heroes-land-at-Victory-Field/24453