Morals right and wrong as to dog poisoning

They poisoned a soi dog in my village. He was a noble chap he hung out with a female dog and when anyone put food out he let her eat first then he would eat what was left. He was larger than her so it wasn't a pecking order thing. One of the neighbors kept birds and decided to get rid of him. I had not seen him for a while and noticed a bad smell near the road they had dumped him in the woods. Dog poisoners not on my list of high class people.

• Like 1

Poisoning, unless you are have a in depth knowledge of poisons is a cruel and painful way to kill a dog or any living creature for that matter. To even consider doing it to something which is not even a real threat to you or your kids makes me think you a disturbed individual. [/quot

So u have missed my point completely

I am trying to understand people's opinions on this and I knew some would have ago at me

I don't harm creatures or people unless they are a threat to me or my business or family

Tell me his why should I have to pick up my neighbours dog shit every morning

Why should I build a wall as it is east to call someone a cheap Charlie yet normally these people who use those words are the cheapest of Charlie's

The owners are reasonable as if they cannot protect their animals and do the right thing by picking up their litter

And they are the ones who should wall them

In not me as I did not buy the dog

As for a street dog personally I reckon they should all be put down as they chase bikes bite people and heir life's would be better off dead

Mix that with the cars and motorbikes they shall hit during their short lives

I am not disturbed I am just a person. That faces reality and has to do the jobs that people don't want to do but need to be done then moan when it's not done properly

Ok I have a suggestion

Building my wall for free ( I don't want a cheap Charlie to bills it I want a nice posh wall )

I am not going to adopt a soi dog to get ride of other dogs that is madness

I like beavers but not Justin beaver

And yes I am disturbed but what going to do about it build me a wall!??

Shall I just build a dog sanctity just to prove I am not tight and give all my money to dog rescue and poor farmers

Corr Jesus checky basterd calling me tight

Non rally only tight people call people that in order to her down thorn out of that person

Don't own a building company by any chance do U??

Dog is an animal a person is a person

Street dogs should be put down as they are a threat to humans

U might disagree with me but you soon would change if your child was bitten badly or even to death whilst innocently walking or driving a bike down the road

The alternative is to put them in a temple where they have to fight each other for savival

I love dogs and it is not the dogs fault as they are just dogs

But unless people take responsibility for their own pets then It is selfish to expect other people who chose to not have pets to be responsible for them

This is the qualification I believe one should have to have a dog

A fully walled compound

Not left to walk around the public roads without a lead or an owner

If the dog bites someone then it is the owners fault and they should pay

They should pick up the dog poo when outside their house

If their dog runs out the house and gets hit by a car then it is not the dogs fault and not the cars fault

It is an unfortunate accident but the owner is responsible

If you chose to let your dog wall aimless around on to other people's land and shit and bark and rip your bins apart then the owner is at fault if the dog is poisoned as one has the right in thailand to protect their business and their home

My point is not to place poison on the borders of my land or put onto governed road or in someone's house but deep in your own property I believe I have the right

As for pearly gates I shall let who ever is in charge of the pearly gates judge me

Street dogs should be put down in a human way

They are no good for tourists, for families, for local people and they don't stop breading and multiplying

Personally in an ideal road which cannot be done I would have a team go round and shoot them all as they should be treated as pests as rats and pigeons are pests yet pigeons and rats bite less people or no people compared to street dogs

There is a difference between being a dog lover and being a dog responsible lover

If one loves their dogs then they protect there own dogs and don't rely on the public to do your work for you

Sent from my iPhone using ThaiVisa app

Just curious, if you advocate death for homeless dogs what is your solution for homeless people?

Your view is like saying you do not commit crimes so why do other people do? Face reality, we do not live in a utopia.

Poisoning, unless you are have a in depth knowledge of poisons is a cruel and painful way to kill a dog or any living creature for that matter. To even consider doing it to something which is not even a real threat to you or your kids makes me think you a disturbed individual.

So true, poisons are dangerous. A three foot 2x4 with a 16d nail through one end makes a great dog riddance tool. One thonk in the head, finish problem. However, as someone said, you could just build a fence, be a better person, and keep a clear conscience.

Yes I agree with you. But I have to say if any dog. Soi dog or not attacked me or any of my family unprovoked. then I would poison it.

Sent from my GT-S5360 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

We've covered the morality bit. To each their own on morals. One may or may not have to answer to that in the end.

I have yet to see an answer as to whether this practice is legal in the Kingdom or not.

I suppose this could be forwarded to the ask a lawyer thread.

I know Abbots and who poison dogs in the monastery. I know monks and abbots who take care of stray dogs. I don't think it is a macho thing and the monks are not afraid of other men in Thailand. I think it is a major nasty thing.

• Like 1

We've covered the morality bit. To each their own on morals. One may or may not have to answer to that in the end.

I have yet to see an answer as to whether this practice is legal in the Kingdom or not.

I suppose this could be forwarded to the ask a lawyer thread.

Not sure if there is a law that covers this but what's normal in these situations (it actually happens alot) is that the person who kills someone elses dog will then compensate them with money. If you kill a street/stray/soi dog whatever you wanna call it then nobody cares unless you look like a gullible farang they could convince it was their dog.

Poisoning, unless you are have a in depth knowledge of poisons is a cruel and painful way to kill a dog or any living creature for that matter. To even consider doing it to something which is not even a real threat to you or your kids makes me think you a disturbed individual.

Please read the OP's post, he says:

Not going to do this but just interested on where people stand on this as foreigners are very into there dogs and some value them more than people

Roo,

It can never hurt to mention how cruel this process is. Animal suffer in agony when poisoned this way, I've seen it often and it saddens me greatly.

This is not what Roo is pointing out. The topic of the post offers people the chance to express concern and share personal experiences about the topic. makes me think you a disturbed individual is not part of this criteria.

• Like 1

Welcome to Thailand! This is minor compare to what I have gone through and continue to go through for a number of years. Someone should have told you when you came here and brought the land they didn't because this is just normal. Be lucky it is not sheep and cattle running through your land leaving pile of shit through your land and the neigborhood.

I have thought and done worse than what you are thinking. If dogs can get in your land so can local kids!!!!

Get use to it picking up dog shit day in and day out or move to a Condo! or find some Vietnamese friends to pick them up at night.

Edited by thailand49

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Not all dogs are soi dogs. A responsible dog owner may leave a door open and the dog gets out accidentaly.

yes it happening once or twice but having the door constantly open then they have crossed the line of coarse accidents happen and the dog should not be harmed due to an accident door left open.

But there are people around with walled off homes with their gates constantly left open. why have a wal in the first place if they are like this

Welcome to Thailand! This is minor compare to what I have gone through and continue to go through for a number of years. Someone should have told you when you came here and brought the land they didn't because this is just normal. Be lucky it is not sheep and cattle running through your land leaving pile of shit through your land and the neigborhood.

I have thought and done worse than what you are thinking. If dogs can get in your land so can local kids!!!!

Get use to it picking up dog shit day in and day out or move to a Condo! or find some Vietnamese friends to pick them up at night.

funnily enough i have been through more than this also. I started this thread to see what the general feed is on this subject as you are right this is not the west and we dont have an RSPCA where allot of owners would be arrested and jailed so we have to provide our own security.

I have has buffalows shit and stuff outside but now i have customers and they complain. i need these people and i have children. In fact at least buffalow are normally tide to a poll and eat the grass and dont chase people.

at the moment i dont have a problem with the dogs. i have in the past and i did not poison them they left and went somewhere else. but i am sure i am not the only person who has had this problem so i ask the expats on the island to see if it is wrong to do this. almost like a survey.

i have seen the harm street dogs have done to people walking. It never gets to the newspapers. Mainly because we dont have one. but if you are bitten by any dog in Thailand even if the dog has been vaccinated you need a series on injections followed by another 5 more over the space of a month to make sure you dont have rabis.

now that can be expensive. Apparently a dog can be a carrier of it without showing symptoms just by licking another infected dog. do jabs or not you shall have to go through the process which is the hardest part expensive the last dog bite cost me over 25k in total and that was from a vaccinated dog.

That was my fault though because i accidently trod on it and it gave me a flesh wound. the painful part was departing with my hard earnt bing money.

allot of local ladies were not happy for me and their buffalows got very sick biggrin.png

• Like 1

Please do not poison dogs. It's a horrendous death to watch. I had 6 of my farm dogs poisoned by a new thai neighbor. 4 of them died before I could induce vomiting with a teaspoon of salt water and an egg white. They all were poisoned mutiple times but each time they would come to me or my wife and we would quickly induce vomiting after the salt and egg white were given. It works if you catch it in time and they did not get a big dose.

But evil thais are persistent and learn by trial and error. The neighbor finally learned how he could get the dogs to consume a full lethal dose of pesticide. The most evil people use dried squid purchased from the local outdoor market. Squid you see, has a pouch and can be filled with pesticides so toxic that they kill within 10 minutes. I won't name it but it comes as blue crystals. Odorless and tasteless. A horrible chemical. Thailand has banned the product but the thais still know where to buy it under the counter.

If you dog is poisoned, use the strong solution of salt and water and one egg white. If the dog is big, do it twice. They will vomit it up along with the poison. You will see it mixed with the egg white. Also, very important, DO NOT GIVE YOUR DOG WATER. Water will intensify the poisons effects. I have seen this with my own eyes.

Only the biggest cowards poison dogs. Most thais that poison dogs are passive aggressive because deep down they know they are losers and they cannot face a real man. In fact, anyone that does these things are abominable people. Period.

i agree i have watched my dog or woken up with my dog dead from being poisoned and i was really really angry as my dog was innocent. it was loyal strong dog with allot to offer what made it worse is that the basterd mixed up fertaliser with raw fish to hide the smell so they knew what they were doing and threw it over my wall.

i am with you on that if that person had a problem with me they could have knocked on my door and sorted it.

never found out who did that but i have my suspicions unfortualtly that is not enough for me to do anything as if i am wrong and i accuse that person is shall look like a right .

that realy saddened me as my dogs were bought up by my rule book. never let off outside the compound. always on a lead on on the beach. so why blame my dogs for eating their chickens when there are so many street dogs about.

that was the 2ns dogs that was poisoned. they are out there these people and they come to me i not go to them. some of these people own chickens also own dogs but they never seem to blame their own dogs even though i have seen them eat the owners own chickens.

if i was as bad as them i would poison their dogs out of revenge but it was not their dogs fault so i am waiting for the evidence to prove who it really was then i shall go straight to them

Edited by BigC
  • Like 1

Count your blessings. Pregnant elephants have diarrhea and they are pregnant almost 2 years. They are also very quiet and can sneak up on you without hearing them. Now we are talking major poop. I've never had a problem with soi elephants and I credit my dog with that.

Edited by thailiketoo
  • Like 2

Not all dogs are soi dogs. A responsible dog owner may leave a door open and the dog gets out accidentaly.

My neighbours have about four dogs which they let out when the owners come and go in their car. The dogs seem to prefer my place to crap and even though I have built a fence they still chew their way through it. I have had three of my dogs poisoned in the past and would not inflict that on any living creature. I am seriously tempted to shoot the b******s. But then it may be fairer to shoot the owners. Perhaps I should feel proud that the dogs prefer my land to crap on than their own. Anyway, another mystery of the Orient. Why worry? Be happy!coffee1.gif

My neighbours have about four dogs which they let out when the owners come and go in their car. The dogs seem to prefer my place to crap and even though I have built a fence they still chew their way through it. I have had three of my dogs poisoned in the past and would not inflict that on any living creature. I am seriously tempted to shoot the b******s. But then it may be fairer to shoot the owners. Perhaps I should feel proud that the dogs prefer my land to crap on than their own. Anyway, another mystery of the Orient. Why worry? Be happy!coffee1.gif

Why did they poison your dogs? I ask because I also have a dog and want to avoid doing anything that will get her poisoned.

Poisoning, unless you are have a in depth knowledge of poisons is a cruel and painful way to kill a dog or any living creature for that matter. To even consider doing it to something which is not even a real threat to you or your kids makes me think you a disturbed individual. [/quot

So u have missed my point completely

I am trying to understand people's opinions on this and I knew some would have ago at me

I don't harm creatures or people unless they are a threat to me or my business or family

Tell me his why should I have to pick up my neighbours dog shit every morning

Why should I build a wall as it is east to call someone a cheap Charlie yet normally these people who use those words are the cheapest of Charlie's

The owners are reasonable as if they cannot protect their animals and do the right thing by picking up their litter

And they are the ones who should wall them

In not me as I did not buy the dog

As for a street dog personally I reckon they should all be put down as they chase bikes bite people and heir life's would be better off dead

Mix that with the cars and motorbikes they shall hit during their short lives

I am not disturbed I am just a person. That faces reality and has to do the jobs that people don't want to do but need to be done then moan when it's not done properly

Ok I have a suggestion

Building my wall for free ( I don't want a cheap Charlie to bills it I want a nice posh wall )

I am not going to adopt a soi dog to get ride of other dogs that is madness

I like beavers but not Justin beaver

And yes I am disturbed but what going to do about it build me a wall!??

Shall I just build a dog sanctity just to prove I am not tight and give all my money to dog rescue and poor farmers

Corr Jesus checky basterd calling me tight

Non rally only tight people call people that in order to her down thorn out of that person

Don't own a building company by any chance do U??

Dog is an animal a person is a person

Street dogs should be put down as they are a threat to humans

U might disagree with me but you soon would change if your child was bitten badly or even to death whilst innocently walking or driving a bike down the road

The alternative is to put them in a temple where they have to fight each other for savival

I love dogs and it is not the dogs fault as they are just dogs

But unless people take responsibility for their own pets then It is selfish to expect other people who chose to not have pets to be responsible for them

This is the qualification I believe one should have to have a dog

A fully walled compound

Not left to walk around the public roads without a lead or an owner

If the dog bites someone then it is the owners fault and they should pay

They should pick up the dog poo when outside their house

If their dog runs out the house and gets hit by a car then it is not the dogs fault and not the cars fault

It is an unfortunate accident but the owner is responsible

If you chose to let your dog wall aimless around on to other people's land and shit and bark and rip your bins apart then the owner is at fault if the dog is poisoned as one has the right in thailand to protect their business and their home

My point is not to place poison on the borders of my land or put onto governed road or in someone's house but deep in your own property I believe I have the right

As for pearly gates I shall let who ever is in charge of the pearly gates judge me

Street dogs should be put down in a human way

They are no good for tourists, for families, for local people and they don't stop breading and multiplying

Personally in an ideal road which cannot be done I would have a team go round and shoot them all as they should be treated as pests as rats and pigeons are pests yet pigeons and rats bite less people or no people compared to street dogs

There is a difference between being a dog lover and being a dog responsible lover

If one loves their dogs then they protect there own dogs and don't rely on the public to do your work for you

Just curious, if you advocate death for homeless dogs what is your solution for homeless people?

Big C you are 100% correct in what you say, and you say it very well. The trouble is some people on TV do not share your common sense and from what I've read your inteligence.

I've shot more than dogs. However, the dog I did shoot, which was about dead...........think about that and 3 or more others that I helped move on. It wasn't dog dirt that was at cause. Much more serious. Though, wish I hadn't done it. Killing is wrong, period.

1. Sounds like you need to teach your kids better if you are afraid they will play with and rub shit into their own eyes.

2. An animal is not a stray if it has a known owner, as you say it does.

3. I don't like animals, but I'm sure as hell not about to go out poisoning them. But I'm sure it will get easier each time, because that is probably not going to be the last animal ever to come in your yard.

4. If you don't want someone going into your house or car then you lock the doors; you don't set booby traps instead. Do like everyone else says and put up a fence/barrier.

• Like 1

People should keep in mind that it is not always possible to build a fence or wall. As an example some properties, such as the front of some shophouses, have a road on them that others need to use to get to their properties.

Other properties are part of a compound with common areas that cannot be fenced in, some properties are rental and so on.

The shoot the dog with pellets, small rocks or whatever is also not always an easy option, as many of these dogs do their business at night, and most people do not want to sit up and wait all night for dogs that may or may not show up, and will likely need several lesson before they get the point - and then a new dog shows up, so you can start all over.

Just leaving the dog shit is also not an option, as it will attract even more dogs and more dog shit.

Edited by monkeycountry

Before Heading to the Vet
Before going to the vet, it may be necessary to begin treatment at home:

Step 1: Try to Identify the Poison
Bring with you anything your dog has vomited or chewed in a ziplock bag. This is especially important if you do not know what type of poison was ingested.

Step 2: Induce Vomiting
If your dog is showing signs of poisoning, is alert and conscious, able to swallow and hasn't vomited, induce vomiting immediately. Use 1 tablespoon Hydrogen Peroxide (3%) per 20 lb. body weight squirted into the back of the mouth to induce vomiting.

Do NOT Induce Vomiting if your dog is severely depressed, comatose, unable to swallow or experiencing seizures or if you know the poison was caustic (acid or alkali, including household cleaners, drain and toilet cleaners, dishwasher granules, laundry soap, commercial solvents), or a petroleum product (gasoline, kerosene, turpentine). These poisons need to be neutralized because they cause burns of the mouth, esophagus and stomach. These burns often take hours to show up, and inducing vomiting can make the situation worse. If your pet has ingested caustic or petroleum products, get to a vet immediately!

If you cannot get to a vet, administer the following home remedies:

Acid (like bleach): Rinse out your dog's mouth. Give an antacid (baking soda paste, Milk of Magnesia, or Pepto-Bismal) at the rate of 1-2 teaspoons per 5 lbs. body weight.

Alkali: Mix 1 part vinegar or lemon juice with 4 parts water. Milk, egg whites, or vegetable oil can be used to absorb the poison from the intestines.

Petroleum Products: Administer 1-2 oz. mineral oil, olive oil or vegetable oil by mouth. Petroleum-based products can cause pneumonia if aspirated or inhaled. The signs of toxicity are vomiting, difficulty breathing, tremors, convulsions and coma. Artificial respiration or CPR may also be necessary.

• Like 1

Create an Emergency Pet Poison First Aid Kit
Post the telephone number of your local vet where you can easily find it, and have these items on hand in case of an emergency:

• A fresh, non-expired bottle of Hydrogen Peroxide 3% USP -- 1 tablespoon per 10 lbs. body weight (to induce vomiting)
  • Turkey baster or syringe (to administer peroxide)
  • Milk (to dilute the ingested poison)
  • Vinegar or Lemon Juice -- 3 teaspoons diluted with equal parts water (to absorb alkali poisons)
  • Milk of Magnesia -- 1 teaspoon per 5 lbs. body weight (for acidic poisons)
  • Activated Charcoal -- 1-3 grams per 1 kg. body weight (to absorb poisons except caustic and petroleum products). Crush tablet, mix with water and give orally, followed by more water (note: you can buy activated charcoal at most local pharmacies in tablet form)
  • Saline eye solution (to flush out eye contaminates)
  • Artificial tear gel (to lubricate eyes after flushing)
  • Mild-grease cutting dishwashing liquid to bathe an animal after skin contamination. (If your dog has a poisonous substance on the skin or coat, wash with soap and water or give a complete bath in lukewarm (not cold) water. Even if the substance is not irritating the skin, it should be removed otherwise the dog may lick it off and swallow it. Soak gasoline and oil stains with mineral or vegetable oil; work in well, then wash with a mild detergent such as Ivory soap.)
  • Rubber gloves to prevent your hands from being exposed while you bathe the animal.
  • Like 1

I can sympathize with your predicament.Obviously that is the core problem-most Thais think they are being kindly Buddhists by supporting dogs and not killing them even, when in cities like Chiang mai the City is over-run with them,they cause so much disturbance at night as well what to speak of the filth.Those dogs have to be culled or removed.Thais have no problem with killing thousands of cows and chickens to stuff in their faces-as do most hyopocrites on this website whose snide remarks against culling Dogs doesnt reflect the true picture.Most people are so dull headed that they dont even think for one second about the thousands of animals they have participated in killing every day just by providing a market-just to feed their fat faces.True kindness ,as Buddha teaches is to not kill ANY living beings as far as possible, except the aggressive ones that threaten us.Those animals we eat also do not want to die,and they are very innocent.Better to kill and eat stray dogs and remove the nuisance than to eat the other innocent animals that dont bother us at all.I would love to know of a good poison so that I can rid my neighbourhood of a good few of these pests and gladly accept the karma.Thanks for reading.

animals are always suffering because humans are stupid and callous.. rat poison is a nasty inhumane way to die.. cruel and heartless. if your neighbour lets his dog roam then have a discussion with the neighbour. it's not the dogs fault. as far as I'm concerned.. yes, it is morally wrong to do harm to another living creature..

"...It seems harsh (poisoning the strays) as it is not the dogs fault but to I have any rights of my own..."

If I must answer the question, I have to say you have the rights. But then, if the same thing happens in my property, I can't and won't do it.

I think you won't do it neither, for if you do, you will find your conscience calling upon you. There must be better solutions and hopefully you will find in the replies by the members. Good luck!

Yes I agree with you. But I have to say if any dog. Soi dog or not attacked me or any of my family unprovoked. then I would poison it.

Sent from my GT-S5360 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

That would be a poor decision.

There is always a risk of rabies with Thai dogs and often the best means of identifying if the dog is rabid is through observation. You are better off feeding the dog that bit you over the next two weeks and observe it for any peculiar behaviors. If the dog is still alive in 2 weeks, then you can rest easier knowing that your child was not exposed to the rabies virus.

What you choose to do with the dog at the end of the observation period is up to you.

<p>Create an Emergency Pet Poison First Aid KitPost the telephone number of your local vet where you can easily find it, and have these items on hand in case of an emergency:

• A fresh, non-expired bottle of Hydrogen Peroxide 3% USP -- 1 tablespoon per 10 lbs. body weight (to induce vomiting)
  • Turkey baster or syringe (to administer peroxide)
  • Milk (to dilute the ingested poison)
  • Vinegar or Lemon Juice -- 3 teaspoons diluted with equal parts water (to absorb alkali poisons)
  • Milk of Magnesia -- 1 teaspoon per 5 lbs. body weight (for acidic poisons)
  • Activated Charcoal -- 1-3 grams per 1 kg. body weight (to absorb poisons except caustic and petroleum products). Crush tablet, mix with water and give orally, followed by more water (note: you can buy activated charcoal at most local pharmacies in tablet form)
  • Saline eye solution (to flush out eye contaminates)
  • Artificial tear gel (to lubricate eyes after flushing)
  • Mild-grease cutting dishwashing liquid to bathe an animal after skin contamination. (If your dog has a poisonous substance on the skin or coat, wash with soap and water or give a complete bath in lukewarm (not cold) water. Even if the substance is not irritating the skin, it should be removed otherwise the dog may lick it off and swallow it. Soak gasoline and oil stains with mineral or vegetable oil; work in well, then wash with a mild detergent such as Ivory soap.)
  • Rubber gloves to prevent your hands from being exposed while you bathe the animal.

This is an excellent post.

Edited by ClutchClark
  • Like 1

Big C,

Reading through your posts you seem like a reasonable sort when it comes to compassion for dogs.

I just don't understand why you are so unreasonable about building a fence to protect your property ?

This is a standard cultural practice in many societies that can be traced back as far as private property rights have existed.

I have never heard of a landowner who would choose not to build a fence. Every land owner I have met around the world builds a fence as soon as they are able.

Sorry your dog was poisoned.