Cops closing GoGo Bars in Pattaya

Gsxrnz

good news with luck the Thais might clean up the mess the US made of this wonderful country during there RnR visits way back.

Get real! Spread Eagle is the national bird of Thailand. Don't blame the ornithologists for it's prevalence...

• Like 1

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

it will soon be nobody's problem,

the areas are being cleansed, that way of life is over.

no one seems to get it,

this is a real military dictatorship, not one that is interim, or just between elections

there are no more elections,

wake up people

the whores are going home, or to jail, thats all of it, the mafia's the drug dealers, the sex peddlers, the ladyboys

Thailand as it was known a few weeks ago, is no more

cheesy.gif

Don't bet all your marbles on that.

good news with luck the Thais might clean up the mess the US made of this wonderful country during there RnR visits way back.

When I first got to Thailand in 1968 Pattaya was a small fishing/resort town that was popular with the few Thais in Bangkok that had the funds. The Americans did have an R&R Center there but if you wanted female companionship you best should bring her with you from wherever you were. In my case we would come from Tao Thaan near Sattahip while the Zoomies would bring girls from Kilo Sip outside Utapao.

In Bangkok there were a lot of R&R troops. But most stayed small hotels and did their partying along Petchburi Rd on the "Golden Mile" strip.

Now, my understanding is that most of the sex trade is coming from Europe.

One thing I have discovered is no matter what, there is always someone willing to tell you, "Oh, you should have been here in the old days." and there is always someone who will tell you that everything would be great if it wasn't for the Americans.

no one seems to get it,

this is a real military dictatorship, not one that is interim, or just between elections

wake up people

the whores are going home, or to jail, thats all of it, the mafia's the drug dealers, the sex peddlers, the ladyboys

Your kidding , right? Long term visitors/expats have seen coups come and go, police crackdowns come and go nothing new. Just takes time to return to "normal"

no one seems to get it,

wake up people

And then you woke up!!

• Like 1

This is very unusual because most bars are owned by the Thai police, or have a vested interest in them.

I understand that a lot of the Pattaya cops have been shipped to Bangkok & they sent their cops down here

Would that explain the team of cops setting up traffic cones from the end of Soi 9 down as far as the entrance to Central Festival? I saw them doing this yesterday before 11 AM. The cones separated the outermost (beach side) lane from the others and looked like an attempt at channeling all the Bangkok muppetry that descend on the mall every weekend morning at 11 AM? Seems like a good idea but didn't hang around to see if they enforced it when the inevitable hi-so tosser in an imported red-plate Merc cuts across 4 lanes, just to get 'ahead' in the queue.

Also noticed two lines of cones and some sort of traffic check setup on Sukhumvit, northbound opposite Boonthavorn. Also had a small tented village on the sidewalk, chock full of soldiers sitting behind khaki sand bags. Looked very unusual. Maybe a post-curfew interdiction check point?

Pattaya was never an R&R destination; there may have been some GIs who came down from their R&R in Bangkok, or AF folks from Utapao, but Pattaya was never a major destination.

The officers were based in Bang Saray where the Bang Saray Condominium and club is....did they not venture into Patters?

There were US military stationed in various spots in Thailand - Utapao, Korat, Udon, etc., and some may well have made their way to Pattaya, but it was not a destination for R&R for folks stationed in Vietnam who had a week away from the war, and rarely made it beyond Bangkok.

It's high time authorities start a bulldozing down the whole place and start building a real seaside town fit for all and free from the low grade filth that has polluted the place from its inception till present day. The place is beyond help.

But if that happens where would you spend your nights ?

It appears you are referring to the R&R from the Vietnam war, which ended in 1972-3 with the pull-out of most US soldiers and in 1975 with the defeat of ARVN. That was 40 years ago--gee those dens of inequity surely have managed to hold on during that time. It appears you or anyone else has had enough time to clean up the mess--that is if you wanted to.

I suppose it is only fair to point out that the US and other nations' navies have had R&R in Thailand since then--but I suppose that is, at least in part, because those dens exist.

And, of course, you must know that the US population is not even closely represented in Pattaya--as bar-owners or patrons--in relation to other nations' citizens--like Germans, Brits, Aussies, Russians.

• Like 1

It appears you are referring to the R&R from the Vietnam war, which ended in 1972-3 with the pull-out of most US soldiers and in 1975 with the defeat of ARVN. That was 40 years ago--gee those dens of inequity surely have managed to hold on during that time. It appears you or anyone else has had enough time to clean up the mess--that is if you wanted to.

I suppose it is only fair to point out that the US and other nations' navies have had R&R in Thailand since then--but I suppose that is, at least in part, because those dens exist.

And, of course, you must know that the US population is not even closely represented in Pattaya--as bar-owners or patrons--in relation to other nations' citizens--like Germans, Brits, Aussies, Russians.

Americans have ZERO interest in Pattaya, and for the most part Thailand,

yeah, there is a few, but, 1 for every 50 euros and 1 for every 200 australians

it is geographically un desirable for us, and we have costa rica two hours away

• Like 2

Thailand is undergoing a flush of the toilet that is their bar drug and sex trade,

the mafia have had their run, and it is over

do not get caught up in the sweep

Yeah right! cheesy.gif

Think it's just a 'change of management' ol' boy.

Fair is fair. Aussies were the first in Pattaya. Tahitian Queen Pattaya's first go go opened 3 years after the Americans left Thailand in 1978. Sailors started visiting Thai ladies in 1624. http://www.nationmultimedia.com/2007/07/23/lifestyle/lifestyle_30041864.php

Well. I can go back to early '67 when there were no more than a dozen or so bars in Pattaya--most hanging over the water and Thai owned. However, there was an American named Bill Wheeler, who had a restaurant right at the end of the only road to the beach from the main road. It was called the Wagon Wheel, and aside from a couple of cute waitresses, was not one of the girlie bars. Bill had been there since the late '50s and the place has long since disappeared. Other bars opened in a fury all during the VN war--serving as R&R to all military who could travel on R&R and all seaman who were given liberty when their ships docked there, including the Aussies--and run by several nationalities. As you know, war presents many economic possibilities.

OK...it's an open topic eh?

I got warned about my opinions being too harsh.So i refer to the issue as salty ladies of the evening.

Prostitution is a tough subject. Well, it is big business here in Thailand. Big money and it simply exists because they like it.

So, I stay. It's nice looking at all the skirts. I think it might be a little over the top. But the gals actually encourage you to do that.

None of them are as poor as I was in New York....but viva la differance. Most are paying off mortages and car loans.

Hey...it's their choice....nobody forced them.

Americans have ZERO interest in Pattaya, and for the most part Thailand,

yeah, there is a few, but, 1 for every 50 euros and 1 for every 200 australians

it is geographically un desirable for us, and we have costa rica two hours away

Agreed. The Australians and European/Brits love the venue in Pattaya. It is not our thing.

Wonder why you came to Thailand to open a Church? Take the blinders off? Funny there are many gogo's opening on W.S. early but no crackdown?

I made a guess that the curfew was going to be lifted for Phuket and Pattaya but was wrong. I wonder why they could only open from 8pm when again some on W.S. are opening at 4pm and many at 6pm.

Maybe they do not want any of the clubs to get the bright idea once the curfew is lifted they can continue to open early. But there were a handful of go go opening in the afternoon before the curfew like for example.. Champange?

Edited by thailand49

p

very true, Im sure the ladies were much cheaper before the Americans came, they have a lot to answer for

Yes like building the airports, roads, dams and sea ports; nasty Americans.

A former British prime minister, Harold Macmillan (who, like Churchill, had an American mother) referred to the Americans as the Romans of the modern world - to him, Britain (this was back in the 1950s) was Ancient Greece in the American Roman Empire.

Time for Monty Python methinks:

Edited by jukebox

p

very true, Im sure the ladies were much cheaper before the Americans came, they have a lot to answer for

A former British prime minister, Harold Macmillan (who, like Churchill, had an American mother) referred to the Americans as the Romans of the modern world - to him, Britain (this was back in the 1950s) was Ancient Greece in the American Roman Empire.

When in Rome, do as the Americans do........

Equally fitting was The Roman Conquest of Great Britain.

The greeks never did get there...by the way

Edited by slipperylobster

p

When in Rome, do as the Americans do........

Equally fitting was The Roman Conquest of Great Britain.

... well, actually they did. The first known Greek to come to Britain was Pytheas in the 4th century BC. He reported its name as Pretannia, which became Britannia. This term may have been used by some of the local peoples where Pytheas landed to themselves as Pretani. Many Greeks later arrived with the Roman legions as soldiers and traders.

The Ancient Greeks may not have physically invaded Britain as an army, but their language, ideas, mythology and culture did; that influence continues, in a profound and lasting way.

I mentioned Harold Macmillan. He was wounded on three separate occasions during World War I. On the third occasion, during the Battle of the Somme, he spent an entire day lying in a slit trench with a bullet in his pelvis, reading the classical playwright Aeschylus in the original Greek.

I wish the cops or military would close D Boom bar near my house on Third (close to the Buffalo Bar)! Since the start of the curfew the nights have been wonderfully tranquil. Before the coup D Boom used to thump away noisily until just after 7AM. Not amusing.

I bet the bars were there a long time before you moved there.