Cops closing GoGo Bars in Pattaya

Gsxrnz

good news with luck the Thais might clean up the mess the US made of this wonderful country during there RnR visits way back.

Didn't take long for the anti-U.S. comments, did it? Perhaps we should have remained neutral 1941-45.

I think you'll find the US entered WW2 not because the country suddenly developed a moral conscience about the rise of Fascism, but because the Japanese humiliated the US with their surprise attack on Pearl Harbour.

Would it have made a difference if the US was attacked but not humiliated? I think it was the bombs and Japanese fleet and war stuff more than the humiliation of loosing less people than were lost on 9/11. If the USA was ever concerned about humiliation we would have nuked Saudi Arabia after 9/11. Speaking of accommodation and moral conscience don't forget the, "Peace in our time" stuff.

Edited by thailiketoo
  • Like 1

• 3 months later...
  • Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

good news with luck the Thais might clean up the mess the US made of this wonderful country during there RnR visits way back.

Place was dead during the Vietnam R&R days. I know I was in Thailand then.

When I arrived in Pattaya in 1978, there was only beach road and there were a few shops and a few thatched bungalows.

Americans left in 1975. American R&R for Vietnam troops was Bangkok.

The American APO post office at U-Tapao AB closed in June of 1976. I was on vacation with my Thai wife in April of 1976 in Thailand and there were still some American GIs working on U-Tapao...Sent a lot of surface mail boxes to the APO on Andersen AFB,Guam from U-Tapao. The good ole days!!

• 1 month later...

The last time I was in Pattaya I did not see many Americans. Indian, Asian, Russian and middle eastern were everywhere unless you went to Soi LK metro.

Americans made paradise and everyone else screwed it up.... Nothing lasts forever sad.png

It was a shithole from the day the first 'beerbar' opened.

I'm all for P4P, but if you think the Pattaya version of that was ever 'heaven' you really have not been to a true hedonistic paradise at all.

Same goes for Angeles City, what a tip!

I hope Pattaya gets flushed clean, but I very much doubt it in the long term, money talks, and even generals eventually walk, because they'll never 'walk the talk' anyway, how can a leopard that owes its very survival to the status quo change it's spots?

Edited by dhream

Didn't take long for the anti-U.S. comments, did it? Perhaps we should have remained neutral 1941-45.

I think you'll find the US entered WW2 not because the country suddenly developed a moral conscience about the rise of Fascism, but because the Japanese humiliated the US with their surprise attack on Pearl Harbour.

Would it have made a difference if the US was attacked but not humiliated? I think it was the bombs and Japanese fleet and war stuff more than the humiliation of loosing less people than were lost on 9/11. If the USA was ever concerned about humiliation we would have nuked Saudi Arabia after 9/11. Speaking of accommodation and moral conscience don't forget the, "Peace in our time" stuff.

I am reading that Pattaya was a fishing village even after Vietnam, so it seems the US have nothing to do with it, or no more than any other western lads about town, post Vietnam. The Thais built Pattaya, and have condoned and even nurtured Pattaya, no one else should be blamed.

Not to worry these days 99% of your women are overweight and have <deleted> bigger than london buses!!

Yeah, the Yanks are guilty of taking the women of London, Paris and Berlin during WW2. Seems they like them and the silk stockings and soap were an extrabiggrin.png . In all fairness, we left the lady boys for the Europeans in Pattaya.

Yes, indeed. Us Yanks took the majority of the good looking women back to the states with us following WWII. Unfortunately, that left the less attractive ladies for the local male population in the UK to reproduce with. Very unfortunate situation and one that I, as a Yank, apologize for.thumbsup.gif

It appears you are referring to the R&R from the Vietnam war, which ended in 1972-3 with the pull-out of most US soldiers and in 1975 with the defeat of ARVN. That was 40 years ago--gee those dens of inequity surely have managed to hold on during that time. It appears you or anyone else has had enough time to clean up the mess--that is if you wanted to.

I suppose it is only fair to point out that the US and other nations' navies have had R&R in Thailand since then--but I suppose that is, at least in part, because those dens exist.

And, of course, you must know that the US population is not even closely represented in Pattaya--as bar-owners or patrons--in relation to other nations' citizens--like Germans, Brits, Aussies, Russians.

Americans have ZERO interest in Pattaya, and for the most part Thailand,

yeah, there is a few, but, 1 for every 50 euros and 1 for every 200 australians

it is geographically un desirable for us, and we have costa rica two hours away

As an American I'm starting to see why. Place has become very low end probably because it's cheap so it attracts the wrong crowd. Thailand in for most Americans would be like the equivalent of vacationing in Brooklyn. Edited by OnMyWay2