Connection speeds to international websites since Coup

bkkbarnstormer

TLS started working today. No changes on my end.

Question, using what gateway out of Thailand would yield the fastest possible ping? I have TOT and CAT fibre optic out of my factory, use a DTAC 3G phone, and have a service routing through an STS Group gateway from my Bangkok condo. None of them will yield a ping faster than 300Mbps to a Washington based server using OOKLA. Desparately seeking a 55-60Mbps connection.

Ping time is in milliseconds (ms); not in Mbps which is a measure of bandwidth/download or upload speed. Impossible to get a ping time of much less than 200ms from Thailand to the U.S. until you figure out how to make you internet electrons go faster than the speed of light--that's hard to do except in scifi movies.

Sent from my Samsung S4

Yes, Pib is correct, i´ll get 198 ms. from my US Los Angeles server to my CAT telecom

and from US Los Angeles to my 3BB 16/1 MB/s packed i get 235 ms. in house.

Edited by putdk

Question, using what gateway out of Thailand would yield the fastest possible ping? I have TOT and CAT fibre optic out of my factory, use a DTAC 3G phone, and have a service routing through an STS Group gateway from my Bangkok condo. None of them will yield a ping faster than 300Mbps to a Washington based server using OOKLA. Desparately seeking a 55-60Mbps connection.

Ping time is in milliseconds (ms); not in Mbps which is a measure of bandwidth/download or upload speed. Impossible to get a ping time of much less than 200ms from Thailand to the U.S. until you figure out how to make you internet electrons go faster than the speed of light--that's hard to do except in scifi movies.

Sent from my Samsung S4

Thank you PIb. Seems strange that our New York based company can get 45-55ms from New York to Geneva. I thought we should have been able to do much better than 300ms which is the best I have got to far. (P.S. thank you for the correction)

Sent from my Samsung S4

Thank you PIb. Seems strange that our New York based company can get 45-55ms from New York to Geneva. I thought we should have been able to do much better than 300ms which is the best I have got to far. (P.S. thank you for the correction)

That sounds right for "one way" ping; but "round trip" ping would be around a 100ms probably. Or maybe whatever program using to test the ping time was reporting only one way ping time or being fooled by local cache servers...kinda like how Speedtest.net and many Flash-based speedtesters can be easily fooled by "local network cache servers" and report download speeds and ping times to that far off server in Farang Land like it was just across the soi. That why you see a lot of posts on ThaiVisa where folks in Thailand where getting like 10 to 20ms ping times to the U.S. West Coast and download speeds equaling their in-Thailand speed...but then can't understand with such great international speed and ping time they can't stream videos or effectively play online games...but what is happening the speed testing programs are really not testing to that far off server but to a local cache server.

• Like 1

Always funny to read about these 20 ms pings to Europe, USA or whatever.

Not only the speed of light in vacuum (about 300'000 km/s) but the even lower speed of propagation in a fibre optic cable (about 200'000 km/s) pushes these number ad absurdum.

Not to speak of repeaters, switches etc. on the way.

20 ms in a fibre optic cable is about 4000 km.

And remember: ping time is the time the signal needs tp travel back and forth. twice the distance to the server and back.

BKK - LAX about 13000 km, back and forth 26000 km.

Absolute (theoretical) limit.

26000/200000 ~ 130 ms.

Real values much higher due to the many repeaters/swtches etc. on the way and the cable connection being longer than air-line distance.

See e.g. http://www.cablemap.info/ AAG (Asia-American Gateway)

A realistic value from my place to San Jose (seems close to be the landing point of the cable):

xe-5-0-2.edge2.SanJose3.Level3.net [4.53.210.33]

231ms on average.

Due to the mentioned website the landing point is at "San Luis Obispo (AT&T) (USA)".

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Like 1

Thank you to those that have educated me on ping times in general. Looks like in Thailnad we are stuck with 250ms or greater Thai-Zurich and back no matter what IP provider we use.

Yeap, at least until someone can get those internet electrons and protons traveling faster than the speed of light.

• Like 1

All Thai connections are now going through a handful of content control filters - it takes time to scan pages and make sure no one is posting anti establishment messages etc. I don't have first hand experience of this actually happening, but having done it in Burma, it all fits....

Thank you for this information.

Up here in Chiang Mai I am using both TOT and 3BB ISP`s and since the coup my surfing has slowed down significantly on both ISPs. Although still manageable I am experiencing hang outs, time outs and with many websites I sometimes have to have 2 or mores tries in order to gain access into the sites and as other posters have mentioned my P2P services including Skype are all functioning normally.

I was on the brink of buying more RAM until I found your post today that although it`s not official or can be proven makes perfect sense to me.

Again thanks for this.