Do You Know Your Neighbors

boppia

Just wondering how friendly the farangs are in Esarn. Do most of you know your farang neighbors? Do you spend time with them or are most of your friends Thai.

I don't live up there but when I visit I rarely see any foreigners. If I meet one in the market I will usually just say hello. Most foreigners up there seem to be come-and-go people who visit a couple times per year but spend most of their days in the West.

Just wondering how friendly the farangs are in Esarn. Do most of you know your farang neighbors? Do you spend time with them or are most of your friends Thai.

I don't live up there but when I visit I rarely see any foreigners. If I meet one in the market I will usually just say hello. Most foreigners up there seem to be come-and-go people who visit a couple times per year but spend most of their days in the West.

i saw something on another forum regarding other farangs in Udon, and someone said 7 times out of 10 if they said Hello to other farang's in Tesco's or around Town they would be snubbed !! 7 out of 10, !!! seems a bit poor really.

Who knows i may have been one of them. :D

Maybe we all should make more of an effort,good manners cost nothing...... :o

I live 30 km outside of Khon Kaen. Im the only farang and dont mind at all. Many of the farangs who come to visit the wifes family, usually stop by and we have become close friends with several.

Ive often wondered what gives when we go to Khon Kaen city. When I see a farang in Big C, Lotus, or at the market, I always make an effort to say hello, smile, or at least nod, and I would say that figure of 7 out of 10 times, I get get snubbed is about right. Usually the farang will avoid eye contact, but I know he sees me. I smiled and said hello to one guy with a small boy in Big C and he gave me a really dirty look, like I was his worst enemy! I just dont get it. Occasionally, I will meet a friendly guy and we will have a nice conversation and be on our way. It doesnt bother me, Im just curious why they cant at least say hi.

Dont have that problem with the locals, total opposite. Our neighbors are like family. We share and help each other out. Ill continue to say hi to the farangs when I see them, as Ive met some good people and if the others want to be like that, thats thier choice.

well i think some like to keep themselves to them selves, and i maybe one of them, but i would never snub someone that said hello to me anywhere in Thailand,but i think now i will make more of an effort to say hello before they say hello to me when i see farangs out and about in the Udon area. So if you see some fool "nodding and Smiling" all over the udon area that might be Me. :o:D

Edited by scooby555

well i think some like to keep themselves to them selves, and i maybe one of them, but i would never snub someone that said hello to me anywhere in Thailand,but i think now i will make more of an effort to say hello before they say hello to me when i see farangs out and about in the Udon area. So if you see some fool "nodding and Smiling" all over the udon area that might be Me. :D:D

:o:D

Im the same way . Im always smiling and nodding , even to farang . I guess im just happy to be there . Then again it might be that , somewhere I was overserved .

its can be nice to have a chit-chat with "village farangs" it makes a nice change from the usual talk with the local village Thai's. and yes they may be more friendly, but personally i am not over keen on carrots let alone place one up my rear passage :o anyone who likes that sort of thing don't really deserve my nods and smiles...but who am i to judge. and they do say if you have enough of them it my help you see in the dark, and that is one dark area. :D

OK, so I don't live in Issan but I can understand farangs ignoring others in supermarkets. When we're shopping in Tescos etc. all I want to do is get it done with and get out. I don't want to go round the aisles nodding and saying hello to every Tom, Dick & Harry. On the other hand, when we're somewhere I can sit and relax and have a beer, then fine. I will speak to anyone and hope to get into a conversation. I think this all stems back to life in UK when the guys are dragged out shopping with the wives when all they want to do is sit in home and watch TV or go round to the pub and have a pint. So don't grumble at the guy who just walks by when you're out shopping, he just doesn't want to be there. Wait till he's got a beer in his hand and you'll find him a different bloke! :o:D

OK, so I don't live in Issan but I can understand farangs ignoring others in supermarkets. When we're shopping in Tescos etc. all I want to do is get it done with and get out. I don't want to go round the aisles nodding and saying hello to every Tom, Dick & Harry. On the other hand, when we're somewhere I can sit and relax and have a beer, then fine. I will speak to anyone and hope to get into a conversation. I think this all stems back to life in UK when the guys are dragged out shopping with the wives when all they want to do is sit in home and watch TV or go round to the pub and have a pint. So don't grumble at the guy who just walks by when you're out shopping, he just doesn't want to be there. Wait till he's got a beer in his hand and you'll find him a different bloke! :o:D

I recall similar complaints about unresponsive farang in stores at Ubon. I used to travel there for weekly shopping.This entailed a 2- 3 hour hair-raising drive in the back of some Thai's pickup, then lengthy walks around Tesco's,Big C, Macro ect. looking forward to the long drive back. Frankly I was in no mood to spend time in idle chats with other farang, if one did acknowledge my presence I would reciprocate, but usually they did not and I understood why.

Yeh city farangs have a carrot up there ass but most the farangs that live in the villages are friendly enough. As for the visting farangs there is some right <deleted> getting around lately

I wondered what the discomfort was, thanks for pointing it out. And yes there are some right <deleted> around.

Yeh city farangs have a carrot up there ass but most the farangs that live in the villages are friendly enough. As for the visting farangs there is some right <deleted> getting around lately

I wondered what the discomfort was, thanks for pointing it out. And yes there are some right <deleted> around.

A lot like that in Korat area :o

My nearest farang neighbour is about 4 km away, and he pretty much keeps to himself, as do I.

Its a bit uncomfortable as I know the stuff his wife gets up to while he is back in the waste.

My nearest farang neighbour is about 4 km away, and he pretty much keeps to himself, as do I.

Its a bit uncomfortable as I know the stuff his wife gets up to while he is back in the waste.

Yes makes it hard to talk to some farangs that come to town and start telling you how good there wife is and you know the week before they got to the village she was getting drunk and running around with all the young Thai lads and flashing cash.

I'm a friendly guy when you get to know me. I used to be a bit quiet when seeing foreigners in Thailand when I first got here but nowadays I give a nod or smile when I see them. In Bangkok of course there are way too many farangs in some places to nod or smile. If you acknowledged every farang around people would think you are autistic with all the nodding and smiling.

It is silly how we react to each other but after reading the posts I think I will try to be a bit more smiley when I see someone. It's better to be friendly, silly or not, than cold. But I'm not looking for long conversations with farangs when I am upcountry. For some reason whatever reason I feel a connection to westerners. Like it or not we do have a lot in common after all we are all typing here instead of in Thai language on a different message board.

But of course we may prefer to spend more time with our Thai friends than people who are more like ourselves. We travelled the world to end up here in a land of a different language, people and culture. Something like this just doesn't happen to everyone.

Truth is a lot of the farrangs you see in Udon don't speak english. I saw the same thread and I to go out of my way if time allows to say hello, I usually get some sort of response, even if it is a confused look. Today I was walking into Robinons spotted a young guy who was just standing there with a rather pissed off look. Said hello he responded back, but never changed his facial expression.

I think there are a lot more tourist in Udon then we realize, all the sweeties bring thier catch back to show off and play the family shopping game. As I recall the family shopping game was not a whole lot of fun. Probably that little taste of the real world doesn't put you in the greatest mood.

All the old timers here that I know are always friendly to me. Even if you are new to the area and learning to live here it's one heck of a culture shock and huge adjustment, sometimes that is very frustrating.

In a coversation if I hear a newbie say they don't do it like that in America, Britan, Australlia, I know it's time to move on down the road. They haven't adjusted learned thier way yet and need to vent. Well I paid my tuition to Water Buffalo University, so they have to do the same. So complaint sessions don't really do a lot for my attitude so I just move on.

I will say this when I'm in a good mood, people are a lot more friendly to me then when I'm not. Look grumpy around the Thai's and they want nothing to do with you.

Nieghbors yes I know mine in my own street and friendly to the neighbor at the back wall, we still have back wall neighbors from where we moved come visit from time to time. One across the street is from Denmark the other Thai, one side is a retired American the other side is a single school teacher who lives alone works a lot and we hardly ever see her. Everytime we have a party they are all invited and I would say that yes we are a friendly group. We are watching one of the guy houses while he is on vacation. The guy from Denmark I went over and mowed his lawn just before he got back from his vacation. Why I knew he was going to be exhausted it didn't kill me and it was one more thing he didn't have to deal with. So maybe part of it is if you want good neighbors be one yourself and chances are things will be better for you.

Do we do things togethr seldom, they have diffferent interests then the wife and I. We ride a lot and bowl a lot, they don't enjoy that. But there are conversations in the street everyday.

If you live in a Thai neighborhood better to know them because they are sure going to know you even if they never speak to you. Most Thais will not walk up to you and start a converation or even say hello. But if you do most are very friendly people once the ice is broken everytime you go out the house you will get Bai Nai, ( where you going) they don't really care thier just being friendly.

To live In Thailand and no make Thai friends your really missing a lot, farrangs you need to have conversations in your native language whatever it might be. What it really breaks down to is it is what you make it.

As has been pointed out, Falangs you see in the Isaan fall into about four different categories, so their responses will be different depending on what category they are in: 1) tourist, 1) recurring visitor with family in the Isaan, 3)city resident, 4)country resident... But, no matter what category one falls into, there is no excuse for bad manners and life is too short not to, at least, be friendly... Since 1999, I have been graduating in my categorical position (1-2) and at first was too rushed to hang with any Falang. My Thai family kept me busy! Now (in process of graduating from 2 to 4), I look forward to more time to meet Falangs in the Nong Bua Lamphu area. :o

As has been pointed out, Falangs you see in the Isaan fall into about four different categories, so their responses will be different depending on what category they are in: 1) tourist, 1) recurring visitor with family in the Isaan, 3)city resident, 4)country resident... But, no matter what category one falls into, there is no excuse for bad manners and life is too short not to, at least, be friendly... Since 1999, I have been graduating in my categorical position (1-2) and at first was too rushed to hang with any Falang. My Thai family kept me busy! Now (in process of graduating from 2 to 4), I look forward to more time to meet Falangs in the Nong Bua Lamphu area. :o

Theres a new expats bar in Nongbaulamphu on the road to loei

Hey snotty there is a group of us old worn out farrangs that meet every Monday at the Robinson bowling alley. The tiem id 11:00 A.M. Just to get together some bowl some do not, but it's a fun activity, your more then welcome

Theres a new expats bar in Nongbaulamphu on the road to loei

That's just down the street. See you there in August! And the Robinson Bowling Alley, I take it that is in Nong Bua? :D

Sorry about that the bowling complex is Udon, there are two one at big C and one at the Robinsons complex. we go to the Robinson complex and everyone is welcome bowling or not. I do an invitation every week on Udonmap.com. People show up from Nong Kia and the outlining villages of Udon. Don't think we have ha anyone from Nung Bua, yet so, Snotty may sit a first.

People have dropped in that were just visiting to chat with some farrang residents. Really though I think they just come to laugh at my attempts at bowling. :o it' just good fun :D

Hey snotty there is a group of us old worn out farrangs that meet every Monday at the Robinson bowling alley. The tiem id 11:00 A.M. Just to get together some bowl some do not, but it's a fun activity, your more then welcome

Thanks For the invite Ray might just do that one day. I am not very worn out yet I but I plan to be in about 20 0r 30 years :o

Thanks For the invite Ray might just do that one day. I am not very worn out yet I but I plan to be in about 20 0r 30 years :o

Well I look forward to it never know who's going to show up just anyone who wants to, that day.

Man never thought about it but hope i have'nt been an ass to other folks. We now have a Marko and Lotus in our area which we never had before, now that we have these i never new there was so many Farlang in our area. Not trying to be an ass but just because your not thai doesn't mean that we have alot in common I guess that's why i don't like to engage in conversation. And as for other farlang in my area don't take it personal but I like to keep m y life my life.

I'm in an area where farangs are few and far between. A couple of days ago I went to the ATM and there was a farang standing in line. I said hello and he didn't even bother to glance at me. Behavior like that makes you hesitant to try to be friendly. The Thais gave me sympathetic looks and just shrugged. I was talking to a Brit friend and he said that is common British behavior. He said he is that way too unless he knows the person. I'm not the most outgoing person either but I don't go out of my way to be rude. I have no idea what nationality the guy was. :o

I'm in an area where farangs are few and far between. A couple of days ago I went to the ATM and there was a farang standing in line. I said hello and he didn't even bother to glance at me. Behavior like that makes you hesitant to try to be friendly. The Thais gave me sympathetic looks and just shrugged. I was talking to a Brit friend and he said that is common British behavior. He said he is that way too unless he knows the person. I'm not the most outgoing person either but I don't go out of my way to be rude. I have no idea what nationality the guy was. :o

Someone mentioned we have a lot to learn from the Thais. I think this is true. No Thai that I know of would ever behave like that at the ATM. I also think that when in Rome, you do as the Romans do... I live in a very beautiful part of the United States that yearly is impacted by the migration of people from Los Angeles. They ruin the vibe we have until they become a little bit more like us. But, the aggregate effect slowly is changing our community -- and not for the better. I think if you're living in a country full of rude people, sure, it's OK to be rude. But if you're in a country like Thailand, it's downright bad manners. :D

I don't mind the guys whom do not want to engage in conversation, that I can understand.

It's the guys that blank you, I can't figure that out. It's like their scared of something.

Like they've been on the run and just got caught. You can see fear in the eyes.

Then they start to look around, looking, waiting for the man to get them.

mai pen lie.

p.s.

or their really shy, have lived in a cave and have not developed social skills.

Who knows, you can't ask them, can you?

i think most farangs that are in low-farang areas like to think of themselves as special and the only magical farangs around in town. When i've ever seen other farangs in khon kaen they have usually been irate, disgusted, or just plain acted like iam invisible even though i can see they are visibly shaken. That might just be me though