Do You Know Your Neighbors

boppia

• 2 weeks later...
I'm in an area where farangs are few and far between. A couple of days ago I went to the ATM and there was a farang standing in line. I said hello and he didn't even bother to glance at me. Behavior like that makes you hesitant to try to be friendly. The Thais gave me sympathetic looks and just shrugged. I was talking to a Brit friend and he said that is common British behavior. He said he is that way too unless he knows the person. I'm not the most outgoing person either but I don't go out of my way to be rude. I have no idea what nationality the guy was. :o

No offence Gary or other posters but it,s all about civility, good manners and a friendly attitude.

Let me assure you that this is not typical British behaviour as most people will react with a smile at the very least.

One of the problems facing all of us is can you trust at face value.

Sadly in many cases the answer is not encouraging and how do you tell good and bad.

It is sometimes better to keep to ones self but a smile and a nod doesn,t hurt anyone in my humble opinion.

I often encounter people with a " should i shouldn,t say hello " look during my walk abouts but always smile, say good whatever and walk on.

Usually i get a friendly reply and a smile back which is nice and appreciated and makes me feel good inside always.

Even ones who still give a blank expression i still say hello if there is a next time.

Usually after a couple of days they start to respond and do so in a friendly / pleasant manner.

It,s well worth going the extra bit i,m sure so please, let,s all make the effort.

marshbags :D:D:D

P.S. Just maybe they,ve had a bad whatever which can effect there attitude / appearance, also of course.

Edited by marshbags