12 die in van, truck crash in Chaiyaphum province

webfact

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To much of this is happening,it has to stop

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

will not stop in this lifetime! especially with the military running the gov't now. the thai's are inheriently dumb when it comes to driving. they have only been driving for the last thrity years.

3,500 People die everyday on the worlds roads and 50 Million people are injured every year.

To hear ThaiVisa members , one would think accidents only happen in Thailand, more die in USA than Thailand.

USA, with all the brilliant drivers, harsh policing, great roads, hard driving tests, stiff penalties for drink driving, speeding etc, still they rack up horrendous figures, mostly caused by Alcohol and speeding.

Just a reality check lads.

http://www.theguardian.com/global-development/2012/may/02/traffic-accidents-biggest-killer-young-people

A reality check. Have you lived here long?

Do you drive here, or even look out of a taxi?

Been living here and driving here since 1990.

The stats are somewhat skewed by the sheer number of motorcycles on the roads in Thailand and something like 70% of the road deaths are motorcycle related.

I agree it could be better, but it is what it is, you have to adapt to your environment, don't do much good whining on an anonymous forum does it ?

Be careful out there, especially if you can't adapt to the Thai way, I think I have and don't mind driving here now.

R.I.P. to victims and condolences to families and friends. Unfortunately not the first and not the last of tragic, fatal road accidents in Thailand.

Looking at all the mess, the lax safety regulations, the masses of unserviced and road-unworthy vehicles, the aggressive and relentless behaviour of mini van, taxi, lorry and bus drivers, the brain- and fearless crack-addicted "Wai Loon" on their pimped up Honda Clicks, bad or damaged road lighting and road markers, etc. it is no wonder that Thailand - with 72 road fatalities per day - is one of the worst countries in the world when it comes to traffic death toll statistics.

As far as I can see, only education can solve the problem. In Europe, in the 70s it was quite easy - a few shocking videos and photos and people would step on the brakes. But how should such a method work with a population that is as heavily into Gore and Splatter as a kid is into candy??? If you show them a few cracked open heads of motorcyclists who refused to wear a helmet, you'll get "Oohs, and aaaahs!" instead of one of them saying, "Naa, I don't want anything like this happening to me, rather drive careful and wear a helmet." Most feel invincible and think, "Won't happen to me anyway."

Perhaps increasing fines tenfold and cracking down hard on Thai bikers and motorists, as hard as they deal with foreigners without work permit or visa, might solve the problem? But this country obviously got other priorities, i.e. showing foreigners that they are 2nd and 3rd class citizens on a daily basis, and (most importantly) opposing and demonstrating against whom or whatever is governing the country at any given moment...

Edited by catweazle
  • Like 1

These vans are replacing the large buses on many popular routes. I am not sure which is safer a big bus or a minivan.

Either way I have never used a large bus but do use the van hired for my use. I make it very clear what driving standard is expected in terms of speed and overtaking. I normally "feel" quite safe.

I guess I have been lucky.

I would never ride on a shared one where I can not tell the driver to slow down.

Everybody keeps saying how wonderful the new leaders of this country are ! Well maybe they might think about the law - and by that I mean the everyday laws that affect every day people ! We'll take the new bus laws for example -anyone out there noticed buses being equipped with seat belts, anybody noticed vans driving within the speedlimit, anyone noticed pick ups actually sticking to their lanes!?? Until basic law and order is restored you haven't got my support! It would seem this country is great at making laws and awful at enforcing them!!!

Actually yes, I rode an inter-city bus operated by a private bus operator about 2 weeks ago; the driver walked up & down the aisle requesting everybody fasten their seatbelts, and then checked to see if they'd done so, BEFORE the bus pulled out. 'Don't know if that's the beginning of a trend or not.

I know there are some violators, but the curfew seems to be, by & large, getting enforced (for businesses at least, if not so much for people on the street). There's another thread here somewhere about bar OPENING hours being enforced in Pattaya.

I really doubt Gen Prayuth really cares much about your assessment of his effectiveness in enforcing the laws. Very bold of you to take him on here about it though. 'Luck with that...

i am always apauled at the way those mini van drivers use the roads,as if they are in scooter dodging and weaving to get in ahead,i wonder how they are paid,i am asuming it is by the ''trip'',in that case the way to change this behaviour is to pay them by the hour,or by the day,and have set ''manditory rest rules'',are these mini vans ''owner operated'' or is it a company?,then it is up to the police to fine the company and or jail time..but as with every thing here, it will fail..as enforcment is never followed up..

These NGV vehicles are real deathtraps. The compressed natural gas fuel is much more likely to leak and explode in an accident than gasoline cars, as it is stored under pressure.

Diesel is the safest fuel, as it needs extreme heat to ignite.

Try to tell that to the environmental extremest here and in the USA at the EPA. The EPA CAFE standards in America are responsible for killing thousands of Americans every year by demanding and enforcing requirements for lighter and more fuel efficient cars. http://www.americanthinker.com/2010/04/death_by_cafe_standards.html At some point the laws of physics takes over and people in light weight vehicles made of plastic, rubber and other composites don't stand a chance against the hardened steel frame of a cement truck or semi truck trailer.

RIP the victims...........

By the look of the bus....it must have been a massive impact....front completely destroyed.

Obviously running on gas.....probably passengers in the rear injured and shocked....and unable to escape.....horrible.

It never helps with the way many trucks park on the roadside...no lights....and more often than not, partly on the road.

How about they stop paying drivers based on how much driving they do? Maybe then they won't feel the need to push themselves beyond their limit.

Correct.

"Earlier police said the accident happened after the driver was suspected to fall asleep."

Sleeping engine drivers, sleeping pilots, sleeping bus drivers.

Lack of proper rest in this case. Everything else is incidental.

High time Thailand had a rule that you must have a proper driving test and licence to help improve the shocking road death toll in Thailand RIP to all those who died in the van accident and RIP to all the others who will die on the Thai roads today.

Making laws and rules, improving tests, etc. Will do nothing until the laws are enforced by the police.

You see the whole 'bursting into flames' thing here a lot in these accidents. Being trapped, injured and burning to death in flames, not a nice way to go. sad.png

Talk about stating the obvious, you got nothing better to do?

Very sad for these poor people and their families.

i am always apauled at the way those mini van drivers use the roads,as if they are in scooter dodging and weaving to get in ahead,i wonder how they are paid,i am asuming it is by the ''trip'',in that case the way to change this behaviour is to pay them by the hour,or by the day,and have set ''manditory rest rules'',are these mini vans ''owner operated'' or is it a company?,then it is up to the police to fine the company and or jail time..but as with every thing here, it will fail..as enforcment is never followed up..

While I do agree with the tone of your post, as I also am appalled, I am surprised you took the time to write it. The behavior of van drivers will not be changed by van companies because all they are interested in is getting more bang for their baht. Owner operated will be even more difficult to enforce. Rest rules, like all other rules for Thais, will not be enforced. Enforcement cannot be followed up because it has not even been implemented yet.

How about they stop paying drivers based on how much driving they do? Maybe then they won't feel the need to push themselves beyond their limit.

In the OP it states that the driver "hurtled into" the truck.In the second report the van driver was in his wrong lane.OK so my scenario is that tha driver need not have been asleep at all.He could have moved over to o/t someone and "hurtled into " the truck coming towards him. Originally I thought I read he ran into the back of the truck,so ok he may well have been asleep,but the truck driver would not have been injured,so he hit"or hurtled into" the truck coming towards him as he was in the wrong lane.Has been known before!!!!!!!.My deepest sympathy to all the grieving relatives. I really do not know how to stop this sort of carnage.Its no good talking of tests of driving ability,but random drug tests may help,and vehicle fitness random tests too.Nobody seems to care or want to do anything.Probably cos it gonna cost to do anything so do nothing !!!

Banzai99, on 02 Jun 2014 - 15:04, said:

3,500 People die everyday on the worlds roads and 50 Million people are injured every year.

To hear ThaiVisa members , one would think accidents only happen in Thailand, more die in USA than Thailand.

USA, with all the brilliant drivers, harsh policing, great roads, hard driving tests, stiff penalties for drink driving, speeding etc, still they rack up horrendous figures, mostly caused by Alcohol and speeding.

Just a reality check lads.

http://www.theguardian.com/global-development/2012/may/02/traffic-accidents-biggest-killer-young-people

Sorry Banzai. You really have noidea what you are talking about.

No, I have no idea, you're right. smile.png

BTW, if you live in Thailand, learn to adapt it's easier on your blood pressure.

Edited by Banzai99

It's a sad day for Thailand and a sad day for the Vietnamese people and their victims.

Next week it will be another sad day.

R.I.P

Edited by balo

High time Thailand had a rule that you must have a proper driving test and licence to help improve the shocking road death toll in Thailand RIP to all those who died in the van accident and RIP to all the others who will die on the Thai roads today.

What help does a proper driving test and licence do for the road tolls when the majority of these clowns driving have been awake for 57 hours off their tit's on yaba ?

because like a lot of drivers, they do not earn enough money and the mini van market is unregulated. No rules. Stay awake. Earn more money. Its just a driver's cycle. Its possible to do long hours driving, in busy streets which keep you alert, but the highway is mesmerising.

The English in the headline would lead one to believe Vietnam is now uninhabited.

Sent from my iPad using ThaiVisa app

But you being an intelligent person would understand, of course, that was not actually what the "headline' writer meant.

Personally I understood it to mean all the passengers were Viets and the driver was Thai.

Edited by ratcatcher

I was driving up from Trat with several friends in the car. Traffic on the freeway slowed to a crawl. We passed a horrible accident. The police had just pulled over a car with young Thai guys in it for...we guessed playing their music too loud around a serious accident where there were dead bodies. That, my friends, is how the Thais are going to deal with traffic safety: after the fact and a poor response.

I think that dying in a crash in Thailand and having stupid grinning police and first responders taking pictures with your corpse is just as bad though.

• Like 2

16 people in a van?

It would appear so. Pretty crammed in, I guess.

And 13 of them dead. Three very lucky people methinks.

The three 'lucky ones' may be badly injured.

Too many things to put right here, but the recent changes to the driving test show someone has noticed.

There needs to be a few changes 'out there' too.

Not only the above but tacographs should be fitted in vehicles carrying passengers to limit the hours driven backed up by regular checks & stiff penalties for those who drive over permitted hours, much like those rules applied to Europe. The vehicles could also be fitted with devices that detect & wake sleepy drivers at very little cost.

No, I am not advocating a nanny state, just laws to protect paying passengers. Too much to ask ? Better to pay more for transportation than have all these needless deaths. Lets face it, these amulets do not work all the time :)

Has anyone been in a minivan in Thailand and not felt like they were in horrible danger from the way the driver was driving? Anyone? No?

I had journeys by minibus and the driver was very good and safe. I have had other journeys where he was an absolute menace by the manner in which he drove.

Haven't taken public transport for several years now on Thai roads as I prefer to drive myself.

a thai guy hit me on my motorbike the other day. He did it on purpose. He told me he did not like that i got in front of him.

Many here drive with bad attitudes.

Had this experience twice on Thai roads. Lots of aggression out there.