12 die in van, truck crash in Chaiyaphum province

webfact

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been in 2 taxis in Bangkok where the driver has dozed off briefly at a red light....

That would translate to a legitimate 20-minute nap, would it not?post-108400-14018655174573_thumb.jpg Edited by Fookhaht

Statistically you are ten times more likely to be killed on the roads in Thailand than you are in the UK.

Really ??? That's a not actually true.

You are more likely to die in a car in the USA than you are in Thailand. Of course most vehicle deaths are not in cars, they are buses and motorcycles.

If you don't believe me just look at the WHO 2013 statistics on road deaths.

• Like 1

3,500 People die everyday on the worlds roads and 50 Million people are injured every year.

To hear ThaiVisa members , one would think accidents only happen in Thailand, more die in USA than Thailand.

USA, with all the brilliant drivers, harsh policing, great roads, hard driving tests, stiff penalties for drink driving, speeding etc, still they rack up horrendous figures, mostly caused by Alcohol and speeding.

Just a reality check lads.

http://www.theguardian.com/global-development/2012/may/02/traffic-accidents-biggest-killer-young-people

Statistics aren't your strong point are they?

The population of the USA is about 319 million compared to around 67 million for Thailand so it's no surprise that there are more road deaths in the US. You need the deaths based on the population, number of vehicles or kilometres travelled.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_traffic-related_death_rate

If you look at these figures then Thailand is terrible and far worse than the USA although it has to be said that their figures aren't that good either.

There are other factors as well to consider. Thailand has more motorcycles which means that accidents are more likely to result in death. The way the deaths are counted can be different as well as I believe it's not counted as a road death if it doesn't occur within 24 hours of the accident. Maybe someone else can confirm that.

Action definately needs to be taken if tragic deaths such as these are to be prevented.

Edited by kimamey

you're confusing issues mate...I'm not here to tell you you cannot post whatever you like on this forum...I'm just attempting to understand why so many of the post I read on this forum are denigrating the hosts of the country that the majority of those same posters have chosen to call home.

this forum reads like a prison complaint board...you'd think most of these people are being held here against their will...why all the hate?

It's not hate it's common sense.

It's about respecting life and not doing things that may cause an unnecessary end to life. That's from the religion of about 95% of Thais by the way although I agree with it as well. Would you like to denigrate Buddhism?

Nice try mate...but if I recall she was texting and he was drunk and high on coke...

I remember back when I was an idiot in my home country and denigrating the drivers of Asia...you know the usual numpty thought process...Those Chinese can't drive...after spending 7 years driving in China and now 5 years driving in Thailand I realized who it is that can't drive...

In the west we drive fast as we believe our rules and regulations will save us...most western drivers are asleep at the wheel, practically unconscious and blissfully unaware of what's going on around them...we don't slow down at crossroads as we believe the other guy will follow the rules and not pull out in front of us...that unwavering trust is what causes most accidents...how many times have you heard the excuse for a collision in the west "I didn't even see him".

The average speed is considerably less in Asia, sure there is the odd numpty who drives like a maniac(like me) but the bulk of drivers here drive much slower than we do back home. Trust me, I know as most Thai drivers drive me crazy with how slowly they drive. The difference is that there are no rules here to trust, anything and everything can occur on these roads and that makes your average Asian driver about 10 times more aware of what's happening around him than your average western driver.

An intelligent person will observe his surrounding and attempt to understand where he is and adapt accordingly...your average idiot will observe his surroundings and if what he sees doesn't fit with what he knows he'll pull his hair out trying to change it to suit his needs...or worse yet will continue to operate with the mindset that the whole world works the same as it does where he comes from...

The latter is evidenced by the number of falang killed on the roads of Phuket every year...but somehow the Thais get blamed for this...<deleted>?!

In the west the onus is on the other guy to follow the rules so we don't have an accident...In Asia the onus is on me to avoid a collision...so if I come here with my western mindset and attempt to apply it to Thai roads, I shouldn't expect to last 3 minutes out there...

it is what it is...adapt or die...up to you...

In the west the onus is on the other guy to follow the rules so we don't have an accident...In Asia the onus is on me to avoid a collision...so if I come here with my western mindset and attempt to apply it to Thai roads, I shouldn't expect to last 3 minutes out there...

It's worth remembering that 'the other guy' is you as well. I was always taught in the west to drive defensively by being aware of other drivers and the fact that they might do something unexpected, either by mistake as I have done myself or because they simply aren't that good. I've brought that western mindset with me and on more than one occasion it's saved me from an accident.