Chiang Rai struck by nine aftershocks today

webfact

Chiang Rai struck by nine aftershocks today

chian-rai-aftershock-wpcf_728x413.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Chiang Rai was struck by nine aftershocks of 1.9-3.3 magnitude from mid night until noon Monday.

The latest aftershock of 3.3 magnitude happened at about 11.40 a.m. Monday in Mae Suey district at the depth of 3 kilometres.

The Seismology Office said after the major 6.3 magnitude earthquake on May 5 until 11.40 a.m. Monday, Chiang Rai was jolted by a 8 aftershocks of 5.0-5.9 magnitude, 33 aftershocks of 4.0-4.9, 158 aftershocks of 3.0-3.9, and 779 aftershocks of less than 3.0 magnitude in Mae Suey and Phan districts.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/chiang-rai-struck-nine-aftershocks-today/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2014-06-02

You'd get a bit of a shock if you rounded the corner at speed and that appeared in front of you.

Not much different than the shock of coming face to face with the usual tourbus/minibus/dump truck/pickup/SUV or whatever on the wrong side of the road.....

btw that photo is damage from the original quake, not today's mini tremors.[/quot

It does say on the photo 'archive'.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

You'd get a bit of a shock if you rounded the corner at speed and that appeared in front of you.

Not much different than the shock of coming face to face with the usual tourbus/minibus/dump truck/pickup/SUV or whatever on the wrong side of the road.....

btw that photo is damage from the original quake, not today's mini tremors.[/quot

It does say on the photo 'archive'.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Well spotted. At least the report showed a photo from Chiang Rai, rather than earthquake damage from a previous quake in Burma that was used after the Chiang Rai quake.

According to geologists, the number of aftershocks after a quake of 5 or greater can be a precursor to a very large seismic event. Not a rumor. Fact.

Frankly, the aftershocks worry me more than the junta, because I am not involved in the political conflict here. I am involved in human beings, many of whom live in the quake area.

The last time there were this many aftershocks after a +6 Richter scale event was...well, we are dancing at the edge of the most aftershocks ever recorded quite readily. This is not a reason to panic, but if the history of aftershocks shows a pattern that is accurate (itself doubtful because we only have a bit more than a century of data to extrapolate from -- same as the climate issue, with the planet being one hell of a lot older than we are) nonetheless, all existing known patterns point to a major event of 8 or greater within the next one year period.

The last time that happened Ayuttayah fell. No kidding.

Crap.

• Like 1

According to geologists, the number of aftershocks after a quake of 5 or greater can be a precursor to a very large seismic event. Not a rumor. Fact.

You are 100% correct. My uncle is a seismologist in California. He told me the exact same thing and warned this could be a build up for something disastrous. He has been urging me to leave the area, even though I am in Chiang Mai. Of course, I can't just pack up and leave that easy, as I have a life and job here like so many of you. Hopefully he is wrong. He has been wrong before. But I guess he only has to be correct once.

You are 100% correct. My uncle is a seismologist in California. He told me the exact same thing and warned this could be a build up for something disastrous. He has been urging me to leave the area, even though I am in Chiang Mai. Of course, I can't just pack up and leave that easy, as I have a life and job here like so many of you. Hopefully he is wrong. He has been wrong before. But I guess he only has to be correct once.

the entire area is bubbling underneath as the unstable magma sloshes around

there is a strong chance that there is a major disaster building, and likely,

one slip of the magnetosphere is all it will take and Chiang Rai will be no more

sadly,

no one will care either, as evidenced by what transpires in China, no one in the west even reads about it while millions lose their homes

one slip of the magnetosphere is all it will take and Chiang Rai will be no more

sadly,

no one will care either, as evidenced by what transpires in China, no one in the west even reads about it while millions lose their homes

I was reading recently how Thailand is not in major danger of a large seismic event. Sure there are at least 13 fault lines, but none of them so far appeared to be capable of producing a large quake. Perhaps that perception needs to be re-assess after last month's relatively strong quake. Anyway, it's a bit ironic for an uncle who lives in California, one of the world's most seismically active places to suggest leaving Chiang Mai. Wouldn't it make more sense for the uncle to leave California, given the large possibility of a mega quake that could occur there anytime, resulting in possibly tens of thousands of deaths?

I've seen this story at different outlets in different weeks, but nothing shows up on the global seismology reports.

Running the same sensational photo every time there's a quiver also diminishes any chance I'll take this story seriously.

Edited by anselpixel

I was reading recently how Thailand is not in major danger of a large seismic event. Sure there are at least 13 fault lines, but none of them so far appeared to be capable of producing a large quake. Perhaps that perception needs to be re-assess after last month's relatively strong quake. Anyway, it's a bit ironic for an uncle who lives in California, one of the world's most seismically active places to suggest leaving Chiang Mai. Wouldn't it make more sense for the uncle to leave California, given the large possibility of a mega quake that could occur there anytime, resulting in possibly tens of thousands of deaths?

You were reading something that who wrote, a Thai? It took them a week to announce the location, which was the same location the rest of the world knew in 5 minutes. They are seriously lacking here on pretty much everything.

I'll give you my uncle's number if you'd like to inform him that he's in serious danger. Though, California is now 100x more prepared in every way for such large quakes. Ever watch a Thai structure get built? It's not built to withstand large quakes. Or even small ones for that matter. Haiti was turned to rubble because of how they built too. Let a strong 8 or 9 rattle northern Thailand and you'll see mass destruction. Of course, all the Thai "engineers" will say otherwise, as they did in Bangkok recently, but anyone with any construction experience here knows otherwise. Mai pen rai. coffee1.gif

I do know that the CR quake shoot the living heck out of our condo. It shook so bad that I doubt it would withstand a massive quake, even if it is 300k away. It simply wasn't built for such a rattle.

sadly,

they just had a 4.2 in Westwood, right by the 405, yesterday

We're all domed doomed, doomed, I tell ye ! laugh.png

And somebody better tell that Yogi Bear, it's time to get his ass out, of Jellystone Yellowstone National Park too ! facepalm.gif

Edited by Ricardo