Best interest rates on fixed deposit account

Beng

This is the current bank fixed account rates from bot that you can make your comparisons - Deposit rates for individuals

Rates have dropped quite a bit in the last few months. for SCB deposit rates.pdf

Excellent. Cheers for that.

Yes very good list.

But also take a walk thru a mall that has many popular banks & take note as many times

good accounts do not show on those lists.

Like the Ayudhya Mee Tae Dai accounts I have which are non fixed & pay 2.35%

Yet it is on their site

Although these do require a 100k min I think most here are looking for parking their visa required monies

which exceed that anyway

http://www.krungsri.com/en/GoogleSearch.aspx?text_value=Mee%20Tae%20Dai%20account

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is the current bank fixed account rates from bot that you can make your comparisons - Deposit rates for individuals

Rates have dropped quite a bit in the last few months. for SCB deposit rates.pdf

Excellent. Cheers for that.

Yes very good list.

But also take a walk thru a mall that has many popular banks & take note as many times

good accounts do not show on those lists.

Like the Ayudhya Mee Tae Dai accounts I have which are non fixed & pay 2.35%

Yet it is on their site

Although these do require a 100k min I think most here are looking for parking their visa required monies

which exceed that anyway

http://www.krungsri.com/en/GoogleSearch.aspx?text_value=Mee%20Tae%20Dai%20account

I see it as 2.15%, but that was as of 2 April, which is the last time they updated their rates. Probably still the same.....

I see it as 2.15%, but that was as of 2 April, which is the last time they updated their rates. Probably still the same.....

No still 2.35% as of their April 2nd interest rates pdf

scroll down till you see #7 Mee Tae Dai accounts

http://www.krungsri.com/inc/download.aspx?file=../download/Interest_872Deposit_1Apr2014.pdf

Edited by mania

http://www.krungsri.com/inc/download.aspx?file=../download/Interest_872Deposit_1Apr2014.pdf

I stand corrected....did you need yellow book or WP to open account? Any specific branch you could recommend? on 800K that's 2800 thb per year more than 2%....as long as they don't lower the rate as the wind changes.

I stand corrected....did you need yellow book or WP to open account? Any specific branch you could recommend? on 800K that's 2800 thb per year more than 2%....as long as they don't lower the rate as the wind changes.

No nothing needed except the usual ID/Passpot

If you have a Thai drivers license it already has your passport number although best to take it anyway

I have one at ChangPuak branch & 2 at Airport mall branch

Both are great but if your Thai is not ok then Airport is better as they have a few English speakers

Rate has been ok now after quite a few drops over the year + from 2.8% ( same as everyone really ) from the past year.

Recently I asked the manger if they thought it would drop more...They said they thought it would remain stable

thru summer for sure

But of course none have control of such things

Anyway highly recommend for the reasons I mentioned....interest,paid monthly,none fixed etc. & also very easy to get the Immigration paper verification from them too.

Although they need a day lead time as it is processed by Bangkok office

Also they do charge 100 baht which is ok with me.

I am very pleased with Krungsri Airport Plaza and get the impression they are quite accommodating to farang....2.35% it is! 100k minimum...I was busy checking out the short skirts and forgot to ask if they with-hold tax on interest? Any clues? Got dinged for 15% on the TD that matured at BKK Bank. I will keep the account at BKK Bank open because of the cool ACH deal with the New Yawk Branch, but they have a few issues......got 1394 thb on 200K after 4 months.........better than nothin'.

I am very pleased with Krungsri Airport Plaza and get the impression they are quite accommodating to farang....2.35% it is! 100k minimum...I was busy checking out the short skirts and forgot to ask if they with-hold tax on interest? Any clues? Got dinged for 15% on the TD that matured at BKK Bank. I will keep the account at BKK Bank open because of the cool ACH deal with the New Yawk Branch, but they have a few issues......got 1394 thb on 200K after 4 months.........better than nothin'.

No they do not automatically withhold any tax as it is not a fixed instrument.

But of course if you receive more than 20k interest in a year they will be forced to by law.

But...........They are good about warning you when your close & tell you to just open

another account with them same type etc. Transfer the money over & now you have not

legally exceeded 20k in a year per account

That of course is if your the type to go to the counter regularly then they can remind you.

If not watch your total interest per calender year & add a new account before you hit 20k a year in any account.

Once you have a few of these accounts you can move the money from account to account

yourself via the web.

Which is why I like this account as much as I do wink.png

Edited by mania

Looking at the Ayudhya website TODAY for their Mee Tae Dai account, it's showing 2.35% for balances 100,000 to 10 million.

Standard Chartered still has several accounts -- Just One Savings and E-Saver with relatively low minimum balances -- that are paying 2.5%, but I believe those only credit interest every six months.

They also have a Power Saver Plus savings account that's paying 2.3% for balances of at least 100,000 baht, no ATM card, limit of two withdrawals per month, but interest paid monthly.

In all of those cases, AFAIK, they won't deduct tax for any interest earned from those savings accounts up to 20,000b per calendar year. But, they don't have any branch in Chiang Mai -- just BKK and a couple other cities.

The bigger problem, I think, with second-tier banks like Land and Houses is they're not really accustomed to dealing with farang customers, AFAIK. So I'm not sure how efficient they'd be at generating Immigration bank deposit letters, or even the English-speaking capacity of their staff.

And also, there's the perennial problem of some Thai banks being unwilling to open accounts for expats who don't possess work permits. Some will, some won't, it varies branch to branch. There's no discernable consistency about it, other than that it can create headaches when shopping for a new bank account.I believe, when I checked with the local L&H branch near my home in BKK, they said work permit required.

As for Time Deposit accounts vs regular savings accounts, I believe most Immigration offices are fine to accept time deposit accounts as a means of satisfying extension of stay financial requirements. Where people have gotten in trouble in the past in some cases was having joint names on the accounts, which causes problems, or with the account number being changed/rolled over just prior to one's extension filing, which causes problems for the two or three month seasoning requirement.

That said, there may be a couple of Immigration offices that go their own way and refuse to accept them. I know, time deposit accounts are no problem for Immigration in Bangkok.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

LH Bank require WP OR YELLOW BOOK for own [farang] name a/c. The 2.7% Special Savings a/c is not fixed [not a TD or Fund] and % is payable on daily balance over 500k, credited 6 monthly. Staff will phone and advise when tax threshold approaches so you have choice to pay or withdraw.

http://www.lhbank.co.th/home - check for a branch near you. LH Bank are part of the Land and House/HomePro group of companies.

I got 3.2% on a 1 year fixed deposit account at CIMB Thai Bank at the beginning of the year. I believe at that time they were offering 3.5% for new accounts. I don't know if they are still offering any promotions now. The interest is taxed however, if you're eligible you can get this money back.

CIMB has a promotion on their website now for 3% or 3.5% tax-exempt fixed deposit accounts. But it's the kind where you have to commit to depositing into the account, apparently from their linked savings account, a specific amount each and every month for either 24 or 36 months. They seem to want you to set up an automatic debit agreement to move funds each month from the savings account into the fixed deposit account.

I believe I saw Kasikorn Bank in BKK recently advertising the same kind of account, with the same monthly deposit requirement in order to get that similar interest rate. They call it their 24 month Super Taweesub Deposit.

24-Month Super Taweesub Deposits

--Deposits of Baht 1,000 to less than Baht 10,000 [per month] -- 3.20%

--Deposits of Baht 10,000 - Baht 25,000 [ per month] -- 3.50%

• If the owner of the account withdraws funds prior to the agreed date, interest will be calculated according to standard bank interest rates, and interest earnings will not be tax-exempt.
  • If the owner fails to make a monthly deposit, or makes a late or incomplete deposit more than two times, interest rates will be calculated according to standard bank interest rates and interest earnings will not be tax-exempt.

http://www.kasikornbank.com/EN/Personal/BankAccounts/Fixed/Pages/TaweesupSpecialFixedDeposit.aspx

The downside, I believe, is that if the account holder fails to make or have the monthly transfer done per the terms of the account, the interest rate deal dies and the account reverts to a normal passbook savings rate of close to nothing.

But if someone can be sure about their finances and make sure to keep sufficient funds in the auto debit account to cover the monthly transfer every month for 2 or 3 years, it seems like a good deal.

Unfortunately, from an Immigration perspective, the CIMB website says the maximum deposit amount that the account can have during its life is 600,000 baht -- which would make it non-suitable for those who need the 800,000 baht deposit for Immigration.

Kasikorn appears to have the same 600,000 baht account limit. Their website doesn't express it that way. But they do say the maximum monthly deposit for the 24 month term is 25,000 baht. And if you multiply those two together, you get 600,000.

http://www.cimbthai.com/CIMB/en/personal/promotion/deposit/phermkha_sabai-jai_high_interest/

Also, I can't say I've ever seen much here from expats having success or lack thereof in opening CIMB accounts, especially when one doesn't have a work permit. But at least CIMB has several branches in the Chiang Mai area.

Islamic Bank had 3.15% till Friday. Tomorrow it's supposed to drop to 3%. Central Bank will adjust interest rates next week, so expect all banks to drop theirs.

Standard Chartered still pays 2.7% for their eSaver account. Downside, you don't get a bank book for immigration.

• 2 months later...

I noticed the signs at CIMB, but didn't get the details. Looked interesting, though. I might go in and talk to them next time I walk buy one, as I did when I saw the big 4.0% sign at SCB, only to find out it is one of those step up things that is actually a lot closer to 2%, and commits you for 15 months, I believe. 2500 THB per year for a safety deposit box, too. I though that was kind of steep. I was thinking more like free with a decent account.

I think the figures being quoted are annualised, even where the poster is talking about 3 or 6 month terms. Mostly it seems a stroke of luck to get near to 3%. And since inflation is running at about 2.4% (officially, but I suspect higher given the increased price of kao soi), if they take that 0.15% of tax off, you haven't really made too much. Inflation is such a killer.

And meanwhile, the Thai stock exchange index has climbed over 15% so far this year. Pity Immigration won't accept share certificates for that 800k - could be good for us, the national economy and Thai companies!

2.85% at BKK Bank now for 200K+ annual accounts. Who cares?

I'm pretty sure I could walk around on the streets and make more on cash discounts.

it's actually 2.80 on an 11 month (annualized, of course), and the 15% will bring it down to 2.32%.....Some of us are getting 2.3% at Krunsri with no with-holding, and no penalties for withdraw.....both will provide you with a letter for immigration. Oh, and Krungsri pays monthly.....

• 2 weeks later...

How about these? August 2014 Chiangrai – selected best.............

FIXED TD (taxed 15%)

Min.k

Max.k

months

interest

Interest

phone

cimbthai senior (uk?)

Mnthly or annly

NO TAX, age 55 or over, 1 ac,

Tab.barn, wp or kids

053-71402930, 719 3778

Cimbthai tunjai

Depos. date

Opp wiang inn, CR, online

krungthai

kasikorn Super Taweesub Deposit

Mthly dep 10-25k

02-8888882 FREE

Thanachart

3-3.75?

Tisco Bank

3-3.75?

SAVINGS - no tax, can withdraw & deposit

Min.

Max.

Months

interest

interest

withdraw

atm

phone

Siam commercial flexible fd

Unlimited

(Counter only)

no

no

Standard chartered

Esaver CM

-

Fin.advisor Gintana

Bi-annl

Unlimited

No

Y Free interbank transfers

053- 2103402

Sms flags

Standard chartered

CM

-

Unlimited

Y free any bank atms (int’l 150bt)

Y

bankbook

Ayudhiya Mee Tae Dai / krungsri

100 thro term

Bi-mnthly

2free/m (then 50b)

y

y

For financial evidence, for 1 yr extension of child support visa, Can you use printout of Standard Chartered Esaver online statement plus bankbook for Standard Chartered savings ac (up to 100k only)? ……………………… seeing as both these acs are unlimited withdrawals & can transfer from esaver to savings ac anytime. Thanks

Hope this research is useful for some of you guys.

That didn’t read too good! Resend some of the more interesting NO TAX options………………..

August 2014 Chiangrai >>>>>>>>>>

FIXED TD (no tax)

- cimbthai senior, 50- 500k, NO TAX, age 55 or over, 1 ac, Tab.barn wp or kids, phone 053-71402930, 719 3778

- also check Cimbthai tunjai, kasikorn Super Taweesub Deposit, - but maybe taxed

SAVINGS - no tax, can withdraw & deposit

- Siam commercial flexible fd, 15 months, 2.8%, Unlimited free withdraw (Counter only), no atm, not online, 053746971

- Standard chartered Esaver Chiangmai, 10k to any, 2.5% interest, Unlimited free withdraw, no atm, no bankbook, online, Free interbank online transfers, Sms flags, phone 1595 or 053- 2103402 (CR)

- Standard chartered savings Chiangmai, Max. 100k, 2.5% interest, Unlimited free withdraw, free atm withdrawal all Thai bank atms (150bt/time if abroad), bankbook, online, Free interbank online transfers

For financial evidence, for 1 yr extension of child support visa, Can you use printout of Standard Chartered Esaver online statement plus bankbook for Standard Chartered savings ac (up to 100k only)?

I can't say specifically that Immigration WON'T accept it, but I doubt they would.

Normally, they want an official bank letter, not something you've printed out at home off the internet, when it comes to documenting bank deposits.

Plus the Thai banks would be losing out on their 100-200 baht per letter issuing fee. Not likely!!!

However, Standard Chartered's different savings accounts -- Just One, E-Saver, etc. -- ought to be fine as far as satisfying Immigration. And my local Standard Chartered branch is fine for issuing the necessary letter for Immigration.

I was under the assumption LH Bank is a Korean Bank.

Thailand bank, part of L&H Group > excerpt from: http://www.lhbank.co.th/

Land and Houses Bank Public Company Limited originated from the idea of Land & Houses Public Company Limited and Quality Houses Public Company Limited. Listed on the Stock Exchange of Thailand, the two companies are engaged in the development and management of real estate projects and command the largest market share. In addition to having strong financial positions, they both are committed to organizational management with good corporate governance. Several years ago, they recognized that Thailand should have a financial institution as a new option for consumers. In 2004, authorities announced the financial institutions development plan. Viewing this as an opportune time to diversify its business to be more comprehensive, the group had Land and Houses Credit Foncier Plc., of which Land & Houses Plc. held 43% of paid-up capital, submit a plan to set up a commercial retail bank to the Ministry of Finance.

On December 19, 2005, the Ministry of Finance allowed the Land and Houses Retail Bank to operate. The Bank is licensed to provide deposit services like other commercial banks but cannot conduct transactions related to foreign currencies and derivatives, except money exchange as an authorized money changer. In terms of lending, the Bank can provide all types of services to retail customers and small- and medium-sized enterprises.

In 2009, LH Financial Group Plc. was established, with Land & Houses Plc. and Quality Houses Plc. as the major shareholders with 40.95% and 25.71% of paid-up capital respectively, to invest in the Bank and to be in compliance with the Financial Institutions Act B.E. 2551 (2008) and the Bank of Thailand’s notification on consolidated supervision. On October 28, 2009, the Bank of Thailand sent a letter authorizing the establishment of a financial business group, with LH Financial Group Plc acting as the holding company of the financial business group. As of December 31, 2009, LH Financial Group Plc. held 99.99% of the Bank’s paid-up capital.

• 4 months later...

I got 3.2% on a 1 year fixed deposit account at CIMB Thai Bank at the beginning of the year. I believe at that time they were offering 3.5% for new accounts. I don't know if they are still offering any promotions now. The interest is taxed however, if you're eligible you can get this money back.

can anyone let me know how to claim the tax back