What will Phuket be like in 5-10 years from now?

simon43

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 to 10 years is relatively short timespan. I don't believe that the traffic problems are solved during this time. There will be new roads and existing ones will be widened from 2 lanes to 4 lanes (this is happening right now).

While there will be more traffic jams and at the same time more local services are being build, this will eventually separate different parts of Phuket from each other.

We'll have Southern Phuket residents who rarely visit anything north of Bypass road. There will be Pattaya like Patong. Phuket town is a little Bangkok and so on. This is already happening but I guess the trend will be stronger.

Overall we will still have plenty of green areas on the island for those who wish to see them, but maybe not so many natural beaches anymore.

"5 to 10 years is relatively short timespan" - yes, it is, but with Myanmar (Burma) opening up, the Thai's have to get things built quickly, before the Burmese labourors return home, and there is a labour shortage here.

I predict foreign investmant will pour into Myanmar for the tourism industry and many of the Burmese will return home to build it.

"we will still have plenty of green areas on the island for those who wish to see them, but maybe not so many natural beaches anymore." - a lot more tourist come to Phuket for the sun, sea and sand, not so much for trekking in the jungle.

Lose the beaches, and Phuket's in big trouble. Many of them are already being used as sewers.

"What will Phuket be like in 5-10 years from now?" - Pattaya.

All concreted over and nothing left to sell to tourists but sex.

It happened there, why do people think it can not, or will not happen here?

I think you have to visit Pattaya, the sex industry has declined dramatically in the past 5 years and is now visited by families and young couples. The beach road which was predominatly bars is now major shopping malls, hotels and restaurants. I lived in Phuket pre and post tsunami leaving in 2005. Phuket does not resemble anything like then, and the prices and greed now is turning away people in their droves. I had a quick visit last year and was shocked at the changes and prices of food, enterntaiment and transport. Phuket is a lot seedier than Pattaya and this seems to be the way the island has gone, if it carrys on in that direction, yes it will be like Pattaya but Pattaya of 10 years ago

I go to Pattaya, regularly, because I have several friends who have moved from Phuket to Pattaya.

I usually fly with Bangkok Air to U-Tapao, stay a couple of days visiting them, and then a taxi to Don Muang for a visa run with AirAsia to a neighbouring country's Thai Embassy, then back to Phuket.

I was last in Pattaya a couple of months ago.

In my opinion, the sex industry has not declined there. It has increased. Your argument may have some weight if you said, "per capita" to expat and/or tourists, because they have increased, thus making the sex industry smaller, "per capita" - but certainly not in general. I know a few bar girls that moved to Pattaya, because they were not getting any customers in Phuket. What does that tell you?

There are more beer bars and go-go shows there than ever. The whole Soi Baulkow (not spelt correctly) and LK Metro area is booming now. This was never an area know for it's nightlife in the past. Walking Street is still full and a stroll down Soi 6 is still just as wild as ever. The sex industry has grown, not declined, and why shouldn't it grow, Pattaya is doing well for tourism. A couple of times I couldn't get into my usual accommodation - booked out.

The "families and young couples" you talk about are mainly Russian. I have no idea what they are being told, and sold, back in Russia, but I don't think they come to Pattaya expecting to see prostitution on the grand scale it is there, but I have seen them enjoying themselves and happy. I am sure it's interesting for them, just like it was for all of us, our first time in Pattaya.

Beach Road does have the impressive Central Festival, that is true, but there are still many bars there.

I'm no prude to the sex industry - I live in Patong, but don't mislead readers of this forum, Pattaya has a massive sex trade, and hasn't become "family friendly."

As Pattaya is a big city, crime is spread out. Your chances of becoming a victim are smaller. Phuket, as it is not so big, and has a terribly corrupt police department and judicial system, is drawing criminals to it - both foreigners and Thai's, and your chances of becoming a victim are increasing here, rapidly. If this is the "seedier" side you are talking about, then I agree with you.

It's the "big city" feel to Pattaya that I do not like, but I notice a lot of land is opening up on the fringes of Pattaya now, and whilst it's not my "Plan B" at the moment, it may be in the future. One main reason for that, it has transport. You can live on the quiet fringes of the city, and still come into town for a night out without the BS you get from a taxi or tuk-tuk driver here, or driving/riding whilst intoxicated.

"Prices" - definately Pattaya offers a better value for money holiday. Prices are considerably cheaper there, and in my opinion, service is better as well. The locals just seem friendlier and happier there - just my perception.

The word will eventually get around the emerging economy package holiday makers and they will chose Pattaya over Phuket for a cheaper holiday, or, use Pattaya as an "upgrade" in hotel quality and/or tours and shows as part of their package holiday. This meaning, they get a nicer room, or more tours and shows, for the same cost as a basic holiday to Phuket.

Your post makes me sound like I am criticizing Pattaya. I am not. Pattaya is operating better than Phuket. I have no doubt it will take tourists off Phuket in the future, if it hasn't already. As mentioned, I know it has already taken some expats away from Phuket.

Phuket is not only competing with neighbouring countries, but other destinations in Thailand.

In years gone by, Phuket was nicer than Pattaya, and therefore, could justify higher prices, but not anymore. The Europeans certainly can't see the justification in 20% to 30% higher prices in Phuket, and have left.

I can only see the day come, in the future, where the current demographic of tourist does the same, and of course, what will they do here, "money go down - put price up" which hasn't been working for them and is not going to work for them - yet, they continue. There's no future for Phuket, doing business that way, in the tourism industry.

You can sum up Phuket with the question I have asked many times and only ever received one answer to: "Name one positive thing that has been implemented on Phuket for the benefit of tourists, expats and locals in recent years?" The only answer has been so far: "Free vacinations for dogs." That sums up the Governance here.

Phuket is doing nothing to improve, therefore, is slipping backwards.

Phuket will always have the nice ocean beaches which a lot of tourists holiday here for

and always will, the beaches in the gulf are not good, the sex trade only attracts a very small percentage of

tourists, less than 5% in my opinion otherwise the bars that cater for them would be full all the time

Khao Lak is a lot like Phuket was in years gone by and is becoming more popular with tourists all the time

and i have never seen a bar girl there, but they have nice beaches

You can sum up Phuket with the question I have asked many times and only ever received one answer to: "Name one positive thing that has been implemented on Phuket for the benefit of tourists, expats and locals in recent years?" The only answer has been so far: "Free vacinations for dogs." That sums up the Governance here.

I guess you don't get out much.

How about: Botanical Garden (I was quite impressed with this place right from the beginning)

There' a new frisbee golf, flying hanuman trapese thing as well as one of those ropes courses above Kamala that is quite impressive.

The new Tiger Kingdom show is said to be good, although I haven't seen it.

Some kind of stadium is being built, as we speak, over by the zoo.

They've turned Talang road in Phuket town into a quite artsy place as well as Soi Romanee, no telephone poles or wires showing anymore which was quite a project, I must say.

Maybe getting out of Patong a day or two and discover what's going on in the rest of Phuket sometime would help.

• Like 2

How about: Botanical Garden (I was quite impressed with this place right from the beginning)

There' a new frisbee golf, flying hanuman trapese thing as well as one of those ropes courses above Kamala that is quite impressive.

They've turned Talang road in Phuket town into a quite artsy place as well as Soi Romanee, no telephone poles or wires showing anymore which was quite a project, I must say.

Maybe getting out of Patong a day or two and discover what's going on in the rest of Phuket sometime would help.

You're right. I too commented that most new attractions have been built with the Chinese and Russians in mind but I'd perhaps conveniently forgotten forgotten about some of these places, probably as I rarely pass them, whereas the big restaurants and latex shops with buses parked are on my route every day.

It was pretty dire 6 years ago so I hate to think what it's like now and what it will be like further down the line.

I'm not in Thailand any more but I'm sure Phuket needs to watch out for other venues becoming popular and doing it without the rip off transport, violence and high prices etc. Probably another nice island starting afresh.

Edited by jackinbkk

I'm not sure about the Gardens, but the other activities and attractions are all privately owned businesses, for profit, are they not????

What has the Government on this island done with the billions of baht funding they get for the locals, expats and tourists? Where has there been any positve change to Phuket from all that money in recent years? I think in another thread we had the answer, the "Patong City" sign. :)

So, we have "no telephone poles or wires showing" on a Soi, and free vacinations for dogs. cheesy.gif

OK, how about the new damn that's being built?
Been going on about 4 years now and they seem like about 2-3 years away from completion.
Seems to me, it's going to be close to the same size as Bang Wad. (which by the way, they are redoing the damn breast this year also)
OK, that's probably being paid for by the water dept. and they'll probably make a profit someday.
But, it's still a positive change for this island.

I believe the football field, up by the windmill was built with government money.
They put in a sprinkler system and lights a year or two ago.

No profit there.

I love the tennis courts at Sapin Hin.
They are more than 5 years old, but they resurfaced them last year.
Lots of other recreational facilities there too.
All govt. funded I believe. No money charged, so, no profit.

There's a public swimming pool up by the Laguna complex.
They do charge 20 baht I believe, but I think it's to pay a lifeguard.

Can I stop now?
Just get out of Patong, and see some of the changes on the island for yourself.
It's not so hard.

Been going on about 4 years now and they seem like about 2-3 years away from completion.

Seems to me, it's going to be close to the same size as Bang Wad. (which by the way, they are redoing the damn breast this year also)

OK, that's probably being paid for by the water dept. and they'll probably make a profit someday.

But, it's still a positive change for this island.

I believe the football field, up by the windmill was built with government money.

They put in a sprinkler system and lights a year or two ago.

No profit there.

I love the tennis courts at Sapin Hin.

They are more than 5 years old, but they resurfaced them last year.

Lots of other recreational facilities there too.

All govt. funded I believe. No money charged, so, no profit.

There's a public swimming pool up by the Laguna complex.

They do charge 20 baht I believe, but I think it's to pay a lifeguard.

Can I stop now?

Just get out of Patong, and see some of the changes on the island for yourself.

It's not so hard.

We can't count the dam, it hasn't been finished - and may never finish. They may even start filling it in and build a resort on it. smile.png

Ok, the football field, tennis court resurfacing and a swimming pool.

"Can I stop now?" - why stop, please continue.

These are all great projects, and a few locals and expats may benefit, a little, from them, but what have they done for the tourists and the tourism industry here? smile.png

Edited by NamKangMan

"What will Phuket be like in 5-10 years from now?" - Pattaya.

All concreted over and nothing left to sell to tourists but sex.

It happened there, why do people think it can not, or will not happen here?

I think you have to visit Pattaya, the sex industry has declined dramatically in the past 5 years and is now visited by families and young couples. The beach road which was predominatly bars is now major shopping malls, hotels and restaurants. I lived in Phuket pre and post tsunami leaving in 2005. Phuket does not resemble anything like then, and the prices and greed now is turning away people in their droves. I had a quick visit last year and was shocked at the changes and prices of food, enterntaiment and transport. Phuket is a lot seedier than Pattaya and this seems to be the way the island has gone, if it carrys on in that direction, yes it will be like Pattaya but Pattaya of 10 years ago

I go to Pattaya, regularly, because I have several friends who have moved from Phuket to Pattaya.

I usually fly with Bangkok Air to U-Tapao, stay a couple of days visiting them, and then a taxi to Don Muang for a visa run with AirAsia to a neighbouring country's Thai Embassy, then back to Phuket.

I was last in Pattaya a couple of months ago.

In my opinion, the sex industry has not declined there. It has increased. Your argument may have some weight if you said, "per capita" to expat and/or tourists, because they have increased, thus making the sex industry smaller, "per capita" - but certainly not in general. I know a few bar girls that moved to Pattaya, because they were not getting any customers in Phuket. What does that tell you?

There are more beer bars and go-go shows there than ever. The whole Soi Baulkow (not spelt correctly) and LK Metro area is booming now. This was never an area know for it's nightlife in the past. Walking Street is still full and a stroll down Soi 6 is still just as wild as ever. The sex industry has grown, not declined, and why shouldn't it grow, Pattaya is doing well for tourism. A couple of times I couldn't get into my usual accommodation - booked out.

The "families and young couples" you talk about are mainly Russian. I have no idea what they are being told, and sold, back in Russia, but I don't think they come to Pattaya expecting to see prostitution on the grand scale it is there, but I have seen them enjoying themselves and happy. I am sure it's interesting for them, just like it was for all of us, our first time in Pattaya.

Beach Road does have the impressive Central Festival, that is true, but there are still many bars there.

I'm no prude to the sex industry - I live in Patong, but don't mislead readers of this forum, Pattaya has a massive sex trade, and hasn't become "family friendly."

As Pattaya is a big city, crime is spread out. Your chances of becoming a victim are smaller. Phuket, as it is not so big, and has a terribly corrupt police department and judicial system, is drawing criminals to it - both foreigners and Thai's, and your chances of becoming a victim are increasing here, rapidly. If this is the "seedier" side you are talking about, then I agree with you.

It's the "big city" feel to Pattaya that I do not like, but I notice a lot of land is opening up on the fringes of Pattaya now, and whilst it's not my "Plan B" at the moment, it may be in the future. One main reason for that, it has transport. You can live on the quiet fringes of the city, and still come into town for a night out without the BS you get from a taxi or tuk-tuk driver here, or driving/riding whilst intoxicated.

"Prices" - definately Pattaya offers a better value for money holiday. Prices are considerably cheaper there, and in my opinion, service is better as well. The locals just seem friendlier and happier there - just my perception.

The word will eventually get around the emerging economy package holiday makers and they will chose Pattaya over Phuket for a cheaper holiday, or, use Pattaya as an "upgrade" in hotel quality and/or tours and shows as part of their package holiday. This meaning, they get a nicer room, or more tours and shows, for the same cost as a basic holiday to Phuket.

Your post makes me sound like I am criticizing Pattaya. I am not. Pattaya is operating better than Phuket. I have no doubt it will take tourists off Phuket in the future, if it hasn't already. As mentioned, I know it has already taken some expats away from Phuket.

Phuket is not only competing with neighbouring countries, but other destinations in Thailand.

In years gone by, Phuket was nicer than Pattaya, and therefore, could justify higher prices, but not anymore. The Europeans certainly can't see the justification in 20% to 30% higher prices in Phuket, and have left.

I can only see the day come, in the future, where the current demographic of tourist does the same, and of course, what will they do here, "money go down - put price up" which hasn't been working for them and is not going to work for them - yet, they continue. There's no future for Phuket, doing business that way, in the tourism industry.

Phuket will always have the nice ocean beaches which a lot of tourists holiday here for

and always will, the beaches in the gulf are not good, the sex trade only attracts a very small percentage of

tourists, less than 5% in my opinion otherwise the bars that cater for them would be full all the time

Khao Lak is a lot like Phuket was in years gone by and is becoming more popular with tourists all the time

and i have never seen a bar girl there, but they have nice beaches

Are you suggesting Khao Lak is taking tourists away from Phuket? It possibly is.

Why do you think Khao Lak is becoming more popular? Could it simply be that Phuket has become less popular?

Edited by NamKangMan

Cheese eating, wine drinking Russians and Chinese will take over. Noodle cups and Pierogi’s will be a thing of the past. A family of 8 Chinese will no longer come into a mom and pop shop or 7-11, ask the price of 12 items and leave with one ice cream cone. Russians will speak perfect English, poor French, and ask “where is the toilet?” on Fridays only. Tuk Tuk’s drivers will provide excellent service when drunk or sober. The mayor will declare victory for something and fire the Chief of Police…..again. The road behind Jungceylon will be almost fixed.

• Like 1

but what have they done for the tourists and the tourism industry here? smile.png

Thanks for the smiley face.

Now I know you are not very serious about this.

Because, all it takes is an open mind and some open eyes.

But, I did think of some more:

New bus station (now Phuket has 2, which eases traffic)

New airport terminal (and building a high-rise parking lot I believe)

Just spotted a new jogging path a few days ago that heads east, along the bay from Palai seafood. IT goes about a 1-2 kms all the way to the mangroves. (not so new, but the first time I've seen it)

Construction has started on the new park they are putting in at Karon beach. I heard they are going to make it something like the one at the north end of Patong beach.

I forget the name, but there's a bunch of new football fields (one even covered) across the road from the TOT office (the big one on Choafa west)

Not new, but the mining museum shows some of the islands unique history.|

Total renovation of the island's oldest hotel in "Old town, Phuket" the On On hotel.

wai2.gif

but what have they done for the tourists and the tourism industry here? smile.png

Thanks for the smiley face.

Now I know you are not very serious about this.

Because, all it takes is an open mind and some open eyes.

But, I did think of some more:

New bus station (now Phuket has 2, which eases traffic)

New airport terminal (and building a high-rise parking lot I believe)

Just spotted a new jogging path a few days ago that heads east, along the bay from Palai seafood. IT goes about a 1-2 kms all the way to the mangroves. (not so new, but the first time I've seen it)

Construction has started on the new park they are putting in at Karon beach. I heard they are going to make it something like the one at the north end of Patong beach.

I forget the name, but there's a bunch of new football fields (one even covered) across the road from the TOT office (the big one on Choafa west)

Not new, but the mining museum shows some of the islands unique history.|

Total renovation of the island's oldest hotel in "Old town, Phuket" the On On hotel.

wai2.gif

Bus station - ok, good for the locals who can't afford to fly, and the odd backpacker.

New airport terminal - Phuket Airport is operated by AOT - a public listed company.

Construction has started on a new park - once again, can't be counted as it's not finished, and may never be.

Jogging path - I'm not familiar with this one, ok, maybe be used by some locals and expats, but I doubt any tourists.

Football fields - ok, definately good for some the locals, and possibly a few expats, nothing for tourists.

The Mining Museum - ok, if funded by the local Govenment, fair play, but it's been there quiet a while. i would hardly call it a recent positive change.

The On On Hotel - ok, it was renovated a little while ago. Not sure who funded it, but if it was Governmnet funds, I agree, that is something positive for tourists.

So, we have a bus station, footballs fields and a footpath that may benefit some locals, and the odd expat, and a renervated history hotel as tourist attraction.

Is this real "positive change" for tourists, and the tourism industry?

Will any of what you have mentioned be enough to lure back the western market - I don't think so.

Phuket in 10 years? 100,000 more stray dogs.

I can't think of any solid way to cash in on this though off the top of my head.

Noice-cancelling ear plugs, something fertilizer related?

These are all great projects, and a few locals and expats may benefit, a little, from them, but what have they done for the tourists and the tourism industry here? smile.png

I'm trying to think of specific things that the local government has done for tourists in any of the cities that I have lived....what sort of thing are you expecting?

Most tourist improvements and attractions are privately funded and we have seen lots of new privately funded things coming to Phuket.

Are we waiting for the Or-Bor-Tor to errect an Eiffel tower or something at Heroines monument?

What damn and where?

I'm trying to think of specific things that the local government has done for tourists in any of the cities that I have lived....what sort of thing are you expecting?

Most tourist improvements and attractions are privately funded and we have seen lots of new privately funded things coming to Phuket.

Are we waiting for the Or-Bor-Tor to errect an Eiffel tower or something at Heroines monument?

"what sort of thing are you expecting" - better road maintanence, stable electric, reliable town water, proper public transport for tourists and for the reduction of traffic, effective policing - trying to reduce crime and increase road safety, abolishing the scams - jet skis, time share etc, storm water management - flood mitigation, waste water treatment for cleaner beaches, some town planning - also stopping encroachment, regular rubbish removal, street lighting, footpath upgrades/maintanence, more car parking - getting tuk-tuks of the Beach Roads etc etc etc etc.

These are just off the top of my head.

What improvement to any of these have you seen in recent years? In fact, they have become worse, and you wonder why the western tourist market has left Phuket.

Why would they pay the highest prices in the country for substandard services and infastucture during their holiday?

Remember, Phuket is being advertised as a "World Class Tourist Destination."

There's no point having great tourist attractions and activities if everything is crumbling around them, not to mention, transport to the attraction and/or activity cost more than the admission or activity itself.

Edited by NamKangMan

"what sort of thing are you expecting" - better road maintenance, stable electric, reliable town water, proper public transport for tourists and for the reduction of traffic, effective policing - trying to reduce crime and increase road safety, abolishing the scams - jet skis, time share etc, storm water management - flood mitigation, waste water treatment for cleaner beaches, some town planning - also stopping encroachment, regular rubbish removal, street lighting, footpath upgrades/maintanence, more car parking - getting tuk-tuks of the Beach Roads etc etc etc etc.

These are not specifically related to tourism but actually general infrastructure upgrades. I think you will find that there has been investment in quite a few of these areas over the last few years (although I agree Patong has not really seen any improvement compared to other locations on the island).

These are not specifically related to tourism but actually general infrastructure upgrades. I think you will find that there has been investment in quite a few of these areas over the last few years (although I agree Patong has not really seen any improvement compared to other locations on the island).

True. Plenty of new things and upgrades happening all around the island. New roads, new waste burning facilities in Saphan Hin....

There are also all kind of events, which tourists are starting to find out. Vegetarian festival, chinese new year, weekend market on Thalang road etc. etc.

NKM: As you have many times mentioned that you travel around the island, why don't you name 5 positive changes (for real) on the island. Surely you have noticed at least some.

"what sort of thing are you expecting" - better road maintenance, stable electric, reliable town water, proper public transport for tourists and for the reduction of traffic, effective policing - trying to reduce crime and increase road safety, abolishing the scams - jet skis, time share etc, storm water management - flood mitigation, waste water treatment for cleaner beaches, some town planning - also stopping encroachment, regular rubbish removal, street lighting, footpath upgrades/maintanence, more car parking - getting tuk-tuks of the Beach Roads etc etc etc etc.

You do know Patong, particularly Bangla Road, is Phuket's biggest tourist attraction, don't you?

What damn and where?

Sorry, it's a new dam, not damn.

Been building it for about 4 years now, digging out a few mountains in the process.

Once it's complete, it appears that it will be about the same size as Bang Wad Dam.

The dam breast will be just west of Phunaka golf course and the dam will stretch to within about 2 miles of Patong, up that valley.

Don't know if they are planning on piping the water to Patong but, it's possible.

The infrastructure on this island is being improved upon all the time.

New bridges, roads (have you seen the new road between the big Makro and the new Mazda salesroom, (near the Honda car salesroom)??? Cuts out about 4 traffic lights and is a pleasure to know we can now get to the International hospital much quicker.

They are building something big along that road also, I've heard another hospital, and also heard a school. We shall see.

Of course, NKM probably will argue that tourists don't need hospitals. (or dams)

You do know Patong, particularly Bangla Road, is Phuket's biggest tourist attraction, don't you?

I'm sure we all think that's the truth. We also realize that Patong is only one village on the island of Phuket as well as Bangla road is only one street on that particular village.