Sympathy Or Their Own Fault?

bowerboy

In our housing village/compound there is a Gardner and his wife and their 3 children. They are absolutely dirt poor and the kids don't always go to school and sometimes they don't eat lunch because they cant afford it.

The Gardner is 64 and they have a 16 year old, an 8 year old and a 1 year old! The wife is about 38 I guess and works as a road sweeper. A nice hard working family but absolutely dirt poor

So today the Gardner was riding his motorbike with the side buggy with all his gardening gear in it and the 1 year old baby perched on the front with absolutely no protection and barely old enough to sit up on its own (this is how they do it all the time). As he was riding along the baby nearly fell off and as he reached out to grab it to stop from falling his bike swerved and he hit and damaged (not badly and no injuries) a Mercedes Benz parked in the road. So they went to the police station and the Benz owner wants 8,000THB in compensation (even though she knows how destitute this family are).

Its a little bit heart breaking and I am thinking of just giving the Gardner the 8,000 baht (I would do it anonymously as I don't want any hassle or thinking he owes me anything). BUT should I be feeling sympathy or this all just born out complete stupidity that should not be rewarded with any "good luck".

If you are absolutely destitute then why on earth would you have another baby at age 63 (when the kid was born and it wasnt an accident as he claims his dead mother came to him in a dream and asked him to have another baby). Also why on earth has he got a 1 year old sitting unsupported and unprotected in the side buggy? (He could easily of left the baby with the daughter who mostly just hangs out in the park in the village).

So what do you think? Should this stupidity be rewarded with some good luck (the money is irrelevant to me in the scheme of things and will impact his life hugely) or should I just be thinking he got the bad luck for his own stupidity?

• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would have thought the drivers insurance would cover this kind of accident.

Does this destitute guy own any land, like the land he lives on ?

I know of and have heard of people who live a very moderate existence in small wooden houses built on land which would sell for several million dollars at today's prices.

Edited by ukrules
  • Like 1

Yeah I am thinking along the lines of "if the Benz owner is Thai and doesn't care then why should I care" It is a bit tight of the Benz owner to do this but honestly it is a result of bad judgement all around from the Gardner.

Yeah right, what is any 63 year old doing having a kid but even more so one that is absolutely dirt poor. And as I mentioned it wasn't like it was an accident.

I am not sure about the land he lives on but I would be surprised if that was the case given how destitute they are.

I would do it, Karma will pay you back big time.

There is too much selfishness in this world as it is, I think we all in Thailand own something back as what a great place to live and enjoy and we are getting it for 20% the cost of our own country.

Wow, what a dumb post. Sorry. Karma? Is that like the the story of the guy in the sky who watches over all of us?

We foreigners owe Thailand exactly FA. We pay to play. Matters not what our currencies buy us here. We don't owe the Thais anything because their country is relatively uncompetitive and poor. Where do you get these strange notions?

If you are so smart why do you not understand the simple equation of Newton's third law of ... For every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction?

Also my soulless fellow human - If you stay in a friend house for a week till you get a place to stay where it suits your lifestyle - do you not think you own this friend?

Edited by Display
  • Like 1

one side of me says, if the Merc owner, who also understands the circumstances is not showing any "compassion" why should you ?

but the other side of me understands what your saying...

tough call..

Couldn't put it better myself, so...

+1

Most of the Thai gardeners I see on Moobaans wouldn't even get out of bed for less than 300bht a half day.

His wife is working too, destitute on 900bht a day, are you sure?

As for the Merc owner, expensive car, best to park it in your driveway.

Edited by AnotherOneAmerican
  • Like 1

I feel sorry for PaullyW....you have clearly been mixing with the wrong crowd...seriously.

Been mixed with all the crowds. Been here (and elsewhere) a long time. Seen them all.

High-end to low-end, everything between.

Foreigners (especially westerners) need to toughen up here. The Chinese did not colonize Thailand by being so godd@mned weak.

• Like 1

As heartless as this may seem to some readers ... your best option is to do nothing.

Let the Thais sort out their problem.

The Benz owner may decide to make merit by not persueing the matter.

Why did a 63 year old have a baby?

Abortion is illegal in Thailand.

It is but still happens a lot and.

My take on this is one of feeling sorry for them on the other hand why should the merc owner be out of pocket for something he did not do. Sure there is compassion but also stupidity on the side of the gardener.

As you said real tough call.

• Like 1

I would do it, Karma will pay you back big time.

There is too much selfishness in this world as it is, I think we all in Thailand own something back as what a great place to live and enjoy and we are getting it for 20% the cost of our own country.

Hmmm....a comment of contradictions...

So you would help them because of KARMA you will be paid back later in life.

And you blame the selfishness of people in this world............yeah right.....

Dont you see how stupid your comment is ?

• Like 1