Non-Immigrant 'O' - Visiting Friends. Has anyone managed to get one?

Has anyone managed to get a non-immigrant O visa to visit friends? If you have I'd love to know which consulate you got it from and on what basis it was granted.

Last week I applied for a 12 month and 3 entry non-immigrant 'o' visa to visit my boyfriend. The consulate staff in Melbourne took one glance at my application and told me I could not have one and changed my application to a 6 month tourist visa. This was not what I had read on their website.

When I went in to collect my passport and visa a few days later, I showed them a printout of their website and asked them to explain why I could not have a non-imm O to visit friends. I was told by the lady at the window that the rules were changed in September (2013) and it was no longer available. So I asked why it was still on their web-site. I was then told by another officer who came up to the window that it was assessed on a case by case basis (as all applications always are) but he declined to advise me under which situations a visiting freinds application might be granted.

I left feeling confused and a little pissed off that the staff were so vague and unhelpful and the aggression of the guy.

It has been much longer than September of 2013 that the rules were tightened up. I am not sure they are available anywhere now.

If that's the case then I wonder why they have not updated their web page. Probably just to tease us and perpetuate mis-information.

I got one of the last ones in the UK for visiting friends and that was 20th Jan 2011 - after that, you could get them if you had a thai property and then they changed that as well so that it didn't matter if you had a property - just tourist visa and ED until you are 50

It has been much longer than September of 2013 that the rules were tightened up. I am not sure they are available anywhere now.

If that's the case then I wonder why they have not updated their web page. Probably just to tease us and perpetuate mis-information.

Yes I'm sure no one else anywhere has outdated information on their websites and that the embassy decided not to update the information only because they hoped to sow confusion. Another conspiracy theory is born.

As is the case with most changes to rules and regulations regarding visas, the changes are the consequence of people who misuse existing rules or attempt to exploit loopholes. Most people don't "visit" friends twelve or more months at a time.

Edited by Suradit69

Has anyone managed to get a non-immigrant O visa to visit friends?

Having looked at the Thai Embassy site for Canada, their advice says this for a category 'O' visa:

• other activities (Category "O") as follows:

to stay with the family, to perform duties for the state enterprise or social welfare organizations, to stay after retirement for the elderly, to receive medical treatment, to be a sport coach as required by Thai Government, to be a contestant or witness for the judicial process.

This says nothing about visiting friends, which logically would simply come under a tourist visa.

Send them an email suggesting that they should update that web page. Give them a link to the page for easy reference.

Yes I'm sure no one else anywhere has outdated information on their websites and that the embassy decided not to update the information only because they hoped to sow confusion. Another conspiracy theory is born.

As is the case with most changes to rules and regulations regarding visas, the changes are the consequence of people who misuse existing rules or attempt to exploit loopholes. Most people don't "visit" friends twelve or more months at a time.

I guess Platinum Membership means you cannot tolerate a sense of humour when you see it. Conspiracy theory? What are you on today?

I agree that most people would not ""visit" friends twelve or more months at a time" however I had panned to live with my boyfriend in his home for an extended visit. I cannot get a long stay non-immigrant O on the grounds of marriage because we are both males. You can't get much more friendly than a boyfriend but apparently the consulate feels they can glance at an application and in 3 seconds decline it without giving an actual reason other than I can't have it. Their attitude would get anyone off-side.

Your snide comment about out of date websites is a poor excuse for organisations such as Consulates that are supposed to advise and adjudicate the current rules and regulations. 9 days out of date is excusable. 9 months is an irresponsible perpetuation of incorrect information and will do nothing except cause confusion and ill feeling. But hey, if you want to be an apologist for slackness then go right ahead!

Send them an email suggesting that they should update that web page. Give them a link to the page for easy reference.

I actually had their own webpage printed out and I handed it to the senior person at the Melbourne consulate. All he wanted to do was show attitude and give it back to me. I guess he had 'lost face' over this. Must have been his job to maintain the website.

Has anyone managed to get a non-immigrant O visa to visit friends?

Having looked at the Thai Embassy site for Canada, their advice says this for a category 'O' visa:

• other activities (Category "O") as follows:

to stay with the family, to perform duties for the state enterprise or social welfare organizations, to stay after retirement for the elderly, to receive medical treatment, to be a sport coach as required by Thai Government, to be a contestant or witness for the judicial process.

This says nothing about visiting friends, which logically would simply come under a tourist visa.

Thanks for that. I didn't think it was necessary or even advisable for Australian passport holders to check the Canadian website. As you know, there are different rules based on different countries eligibility.

In the OP I did state I went to the Melbourne Consulate so this is the site I checked before lodging my application and this is what it states.

Non-Immigrant 'O' Visa Information General Purpose

Non-Immigrant visa category 'O' is for the applicants wishing to enter the Kingdom of Thailand on a long term holiday, visiting family or friend, or volunteer purposes. An applicant can only apply at maximum 2 entries.

Edited by raybal5

Raybal5, can I politely suggest that your attitude will get you nowhere FAST in Thailand.

This is neither Kansas nor Sydney - Dorothy....

Thanks Simon. Your comment is noted and accepted in the spirit in which I hope you have given it. However I thought I asking fellow farangs questions and trying to get to the truth of what the situation might be was an acceptable use of this forum. My observations about the efficiency or otherwise of their consulate in Melbourne are just observations and yes I am venting on this forum. Are you implying that TV members should not be making such comments amongst ourselves or are you suggesting that immigration officials read pots here?

Edited by raybal5

Try the Embassy in Canberra, the staff and diplomatic corps there are very nice people, very personable and friendly, I'm sure they'll be happy to help.

Totally agree, the Staff are very Professional and Swift....

Forget the 'O' visa. Move on. Get a double-entry tourist visa or triple-entry if they will issue them in Melbourne. Don't waste your time on what is unattainable, move forward and solve your visa situation. Job done.

The visiting friends category 'O' visa was consigned to history over 2 years ago. You won't get one.

Thanks Briggsy for a helpful and informative comment. It's a pity there are so many judgemental people on TV who seem to delight in hammering members with less knowledge than themselves rather than actually assist and inform. .