High speed train/dual track train project

bluesofa

Can someone explain the idea of the dual track train project and the high speed train project please?

I've seen it in the press before, but it didn't seem clearly explained.

I saw in today's Bangkok Post a graphic showing the dual track routes, and in the same image a high speed train route.

(This is the BKK Post image:<deleted> hope it's OK post link to it?)

Are these two projects (part of the 2 trillion Baht infrastructure plan) to be separate?

What I'm getting at, is the high speed train going to use the dual track tracks of the SRT, or will it be constructed completely separately?

Is the high speed train, for example, to be an overhead train (as a local told me a while back)? If this is the case will is be constructed above the current rail system on SRT land, or might it be built on non-SRT land?

Does any know what the plan (if any) is on this? I did try googling, but couldn't find find a clear answer – maybe I didn't google the correct phrase.

Edited by ubonjoe
Removed link to BP Not allowed
  • Like 1

The dual track project is one to upgrade the present lines to double track and make it a little stronger and possibly enable the trains to go a little faster than the speed they can now which is an average of about 30 mph. It has been an ongoing project.

The high speed rail is a totally seperate project. There have been several different proposals but all involve completely seperate rail lines probably elevated.

• Like 1

They can't even keep these slow old chuggers on the rails now,what hope is there that a faster train,will not just derail faster,lets hope they never get nuclear power,i can see the headline now"spent Fuel rods found in Phuket garbage bin".

Let's face it no country could keep trains on the rails with no fare increases for about 15 years and no money for rail maintainance.

• Like 2

They can't even keep these slow old chuggers on the rails now,what hope is there that a faster train,will not just derail faster,lets hope they never get nuclear power,i can see the headline now"spent Fuel rods found in Phuket garbage bin".

Let's face it no country could keep trains on the rails with no fare increases for about 15 years and no money for rail maintainance.

Fair point,Harry.

• Like 2

Their nuclear accident was from an industrial radiography source. The Thai nuclear reactor has run quite happily for several years without featuring much in the press, I believe. Apart from SRT, the other two railways in Bangkok seem to operate fairly well.

SC

Their nuclear accident was from an industrial radiography source. The Thai nuclear reactor has run quite happily for several years without featuring much in the press, I believe. Apart from SRT, the other two railways in Bangkok seem to operate fairly well.

SC

You mean they have one already,right, i am building a bunker.

SC

I don't know if it's still running. I believe it was first commissioned over fifty years ago, when nuclear power was modern.

SC

SC

I don't know if it's still running. I believe it was first commissioned over fifty years ago, when nuclear power was modern.

SC

As far as I know they have not got one or had one but maybe they had a small stage medical reactor. Tywais is the one to answer on this.

SC

SC

As far as I know they have not got one or had one but maybe they had a small stage medical reactor. Tywais is the one to answer on this.

I was quite happy to trust wikipedia. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Office_of_Atoms_for_Peace

The Office of the Atoms For Peace is up vibhavadi rangsit road somewhere, as I recall (No. 16 Road, Chatuchak, if their web site is to be believed)

SC

• Like 1

SC

I was quite happy to trust wikipedia. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Office_of_Atoms_for_Peace

The Office of the Atoms For Peace is up vibhavadi rangsit road somewhere, as I recall (No. 16 Road, Chatuchak, if their web site is to be believed)

SC

just as I said:

TRIGA is a class of small nuclear reactor designed and manufactured by General Atomics. The design team for TRIGA, which included Edward Teller, was led by the physicist Freeman Dyson. Dyson says it may be one of the few reactors that ever made a profit for the company that made it, and that many research hospitals have them. Seventy exist worldwide.

TRIGA is the acronym of Training, Research, Isotopes, General Atomic.

I am sure though that tywais would be able to give us more current information about its use and status now.

If the UK is now only talking about a high speed rail link HS2,Thailand may have one in 2150.

The Japanese opened their first high-speed line 19 years after Hiroshima. And they couldn't import technology in those days, either.

In it's day, I thought that the 200 kph Class 43 HST was a pretty smart train, and it didn't need dedicated tracks to run on. Allegedly still the fastest diesel train in the world

SC

If the UK is now only talking about a high speed rail link HS2,Thailand may have one in 2150.

The Japanese opened their first high-speed line 19 years after Hiroshima. And they couldn't import technology in those days, either.

In it's day, I thought that the 200 kph Class 43 HST was a pretty smart train, and it didn't need dedicated tracks to run on. Allegedly still the fastest diesel train in the world

SC

Yes but every nation on the loosing side of WW2 has fantastic infrastructure due to the winning nations rebuilding them.

SC

Yes but every nation on the loosing side of WW2 has fantastic infrastructure due to the winning nations rebuilding them.

Thailand was on the losing side.

• Like 1

A megalomaniac project conceived to please the Chinese, as said before for the 30% for Thaksin, cronies and the assurance for the former Phua Thai party to stay in power for 100 years with the out of budget money.

The original plan was to upgrade some of the normal speed lines into dual tracks, to increase the carrying capacity of the rail system, increase the average speed of trains and decrease trucks on the road. These dual tracks would have followed the existing rail lines.

The high speed rail would have been a seperate line and would have been completed in 2 phases. Of the 2 tn Baht +- B 1,1 tn would have been for completing phase one. It would have included a line to Huahin-BKK, CM-BKK and BKK-to the NE. The second phase would have linked up HH to KL and BKK to Lao. The Lao to China link has already been approved by both countries as well as the Singapore to KL link. The idea was thus to link China, Lao, Thailand, Malaysia and Singapore on one line.

The most distrubing part of the B 2 tn project that has been thrown out is the flood prevention schemes (not to be confused with the B 350 bn flood scheme). These schemes are the most important and would also takes the longest to implement, because there would have to negotiations with existing land owners/communities. Some people have short memories and its not a question if there will be a flood again, only when. Interesting is that the B 350 bn was budgeted for and never implemented in full, due to protests. So where did the money go, because if it was still in the treasury why is it not used to pay the farmers, why borrow more money to pay farmers? Don't tell me PTP stole it, because that is impossible. They could only get their hands on part of it through kick backs, but because the projects was not implemented that is not possible.

Edited by HUAHIN62
  • Like 1

I read where the high speed train would hook up with China which then hooks up with Europe. This is a huge vision that takes courage and money to pull off.

That's right, the high speed train is a Chinese proposed project. The idea is to link Shanghai to Singapore and also to link to Istanbul, the junction would be in Thailand. They also plan to go the other way up into Russia and through a tunnel to America. The idea is to provide a high speed alternative to shipping for the movement of containers. They might also be passenger trains running but all I have heard from China is the talk of moving goods and the ecological and economic benefits that a rail link will bring. If you think about it is a bit shocking that our goods are 150 years behind us in regards to transport.

Anyway the link to Istanbul has been put on hold since the war in Afghan causing political problems on route through Iran and Pakistan. The link through Thailand has become a propaganda tool for both parties.

• Like 1

The dual track project is one to upgrade the present lines to double track and make it a little stronger and possibly enable the trains to go a little faster than the speed they can now which is an average of about 30 mph. It has been an ongoing project.

The high speed rail is a totally seperate project. There have been several different proposals but all involve completely seperate rail lines probably elevated.

Last month went from Bologna to Napoli on High speed rail (300 kph)...got to the station 15 minutes before departure, and walked off with luggage immediately upon arrival,...thus, quicker than a plane,...and a quite comfortable ride. Chiang Mai to Bangkok,...through Sukhothai, would be fantastic,...and near always full. Ayutthaya, Lampang, etc would reap much in tourist monies. Time to get Northern Thailand out of the early 20th century.

• Like 1

In a nutshell the dual system for high speed rail a Thai concept if train go faster and jump track it has second track to land on thus no more derail but if it works and lands on second track all farangs have to pay double. With high speed just mean faster derails closer to town shorter distance to walk back. Amazing Thailand.intheclub.gif.pagespeed.ce.TVIbELwsxN.gi

It takes >10 hours to get from Bangkok to Chiang Mai on the bus, the train is currently similar although you can lie down & sleep it off. If they built a high speed train, the journey could be reduced to two & a half hours.

It takes about an hour to get from Bangkok to Chiang Mai via aircraft, although you'll probably have to hang around in the airport for 2 hours before hand.

Bangkok property prices are currently three times that of Chiang Mai. Wages are typically 8:1 Bangkok:NE Thailand.

Bangkok is sinking into the ocean at the rate of something mental like 2" per year.

Implementation of high speed train will cause commuting, property prices in Bangkok will plummet, and it's viability as a capital city will vanish.

Who do you think owns all the property in Bangkok? Who do you think is blocking the project?

I read where the high speed train would hook up with China which then hooks up with Europe. This is a huge vision that takes courage and money to pull off.

And it will only be the Chinese who could/will do it.

The very idea is doomed to failure. The cost benefit is non existent. There is not enough know how in Thailand to build and operate it. They would need to import the people to run it as well the trains. Rich people would still prefer to fly and the poor could not afford it. There is not a big enough population to make it viable. As far as I am concerned it was a pie in the sky scheme to woo the voters.

There has been a nuclear reactor in Bangkok since the early sixties. Same as many places it produces nuclear products for medical reasons not for weapons of war.. As you get older you may need a reason for some of its products.

Edited by Mudcrab

A cynic might say that a lot of the infrastructure projects proposed by the previous (Yingluck) government were conceived for the 30% brown paper bags which are alleged to be part of that cost.

A cynic might say ...

The problem is that most TVF cynics have very short memories,

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/420896-bangkok-nong-khai-high-speed-train-project-to-be-completed-late-2015/