Meth pills worth 200 million baht seized in Chiang Rai

webfact

Meth pills worth 200 million baht seized in Chiang Rai

CHIANG RAI, 3 June 2014, (NNT) - Soldiers and anti- narcotics officials in Chiang Rai have intercepted a drug smuggling ring, seizing more than 1 million methamphetamine tablets being smuggled from Myanmar into Thailand.

The meth pills, worth more than 200 million baht, were being transported via the Ruak River bordering Thailand and Myanmar in Chiang San District of the province.

Acting on a tip-off, police set up various checkpoints in the area. Officials later spotted a boat carrying 2 men and 4 bags arriving at the river bank on the Thai side. The suspects jumped into the river and swam back to Myanmar’s territory as soon as officials identified themselves for an inspection of the content of the bags.

The bags contained over one million meth pills, worth over 200 million baht altogether, which police suspected were to be delivered to peddlers in the inner provinces of the kingdom.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2014-06-03 footer_n.gif

Shooting was not an option? The damage and grieve those pills would have done would have been huge. A few rounds into the water would make them swim back to the soldiers.

Edited by EricBerg

Shooting was not an option? The damage and grieve those pills would have done would have been huge. A few rounds into the water would make them swim back to the soldiers.

I think it was the pill they were worried might get damaged! Very convenient to not have caught the smugglers, they could have just shot them dead, but that may not have been the plan IMO.

Very odd they allowed them to escape, wonder where the pills will end up whistling.gif

I think it was the pill they were worried might get damaged! Very convenient to not have caught the smugglers, they could have just shot them dead, but that may not have been the plan IMO.

Very odd they allowed them to escape, wonder where the pills will end up whistling.gif

Territorial Issues of course.. I mean once they are in the river they cross the border. Besides what does killing some mules do ? They are not the bosses and know nothing. Not saying they should go free but shooting and killing some mules does not solve anything.. They took the drugs off the market (presumably) the guys were over the border or so close to it that they could make it.

• Like 2

Yes, very convenient that Thai military didn't shoot at or around or murder unarmed foreigners, not on Thai soil, fleeing back to their own country prior to even knowing why they were fleeing except they didn't want to be around while their boat/bag was inspected.

Edited by JohnThailandJohn

Think you are probably missing the point that at the stage where they jumped in the water, most likely no one had searched the bag. Can't really shoot people for diving in the water, they could of just been illegal immigrants not wanting to be caught.

• Like 1

Think you are probably missing the point that at the stage where they jumped in the water, most likely no one had searched the bag. Can't really shoot people for diving in the water, they could of just been illegal immigrants not wanting to be caught.

I didn't say they should have shot the smugglers. Firing into the water would have probably made them swim back.

I didn't say they should have shot the smugglers. Firing into the water would have probably made them swim back.

I really don't think you are thinking things through.

Yes, very convenient that Thai military didn't shoot at or around or murder unarmed foreigners, not on Thai soil, fleeing back to their own country prior to even knowing why they were fleeing except they didn't want to be around while their boat/bag was inspected.

So how do you know they were unarmed? the last time they caught smugglers crossing into Thailand they shot 8 if them dead. Most of the boarder areas in Chiang Rai are so ambiguous as to the exact line the boarder takes. My guess is if they really wanted to catch the smugglers, then why didn't they wait a few minutes before they had a chance to swim back across. You have to wonder who and why the decision was made to alert the smugglers to their precence before the bags were off loaded from the boat!

Edited to say, I was being sarcastic in my reply to Ericberg. Think about it!tongue.png

Edited by ggold

So shooting near an illegal immigrant would be fine? Hope you don't accidentally overstay and have immigration shout near you.

So how do you know they were unarmed? the last time they caught smugglers crossing into Thailand they shot 8 if them dead. Most of the boarder areas in Chiang Rai are so ambiguous as to the exact line the boarder takes. My guess is if they really wanted to catch the smugglers, then why didn't they wait a few minutes before they had a chance to swim back across. You have to wonder who and why the decision was made to alert the smugglers to their precence before the bags were off loaded from the boat!

Edited to say, I was being sarcastic in my reply to Ericberg. Think about it!tongue.png

Last time was different circumstances and the smugglers were not just visibly armed but posing an immediate threat ... last time authorities had justified reason to use force and they did. Lat time should also prove to you they are willing to use when it is needed.

As for the two smugglers that are likely poor and ignorant, their arrest (possible execution)would do nothing to serve as a deterrent or stem the flow of drugs or stop other poor ignorant people doing the same who know nothing about the people really behind the operations because if they did, they wouldn't be allowed to be in a position of facing execution and turning evidence.

Authorities got a great deal of dangerous drugs off the streets and while things didn't go perfectly the positive results FAR exceeds the negative some here want to obsess about.

Edited by JohnThailandJohn

I liked the first sentance..."Soldiers and anti narcotic......".........

It seems, the military is really making a difference now........cops just don't make these headlines.....

Go the army!!

Edited by ChrisY1

Last time was different circumstances and the smugglers were not just visibly armed but posing an immediate threat ... last time authorities had justified reason to use force and they did. Lat time should also prove to you they are willing to use when it is needed.

As for the two smugglers that are likely poor and ignorant, their arrest (possible execution)would do nothing to serve as a deterrent or stem the flow of drugs or stop other poor ignorant people doing the same who know nothing about the people really behind the operations because if they did, they wouldn't be allowed to be in a position of facing execution and turning evidence.

Authorities got a great deal of dangerous drugs off the streets and while things didn't go perfectly the positive results FAR exceeds the negative some here want to obsess about.

Again, How do you know the smugglers were not armed? When they show us that they have destroyed the drugs, I might believe they were taken off the streets!

Maybe the police / soldiers would prefer that the smugglers come back again soon with more stock.

So 2 million baht for 1 million pills. Are the pills really 2 baht each?

Another aspect....if the pills are worth 2 million (I assume street value) what did the manufacturers lose by the confiscation? What was their cost?

I'd like to see the manufacturers losing out big time.

Another aspect....if the pills are worth 2 million (I assume street value) what did the manufacturers lose by the confiscation? What was their cost?

Uh, the article said 200 Million.

No, they go for a minimum of 200 Baht each on the street and why 1 Million Pills are calculated to be 200 Million Baht worth of pills.

• Like 1

what did the manufacturers lose by the confiscation? What was their cost? I'd like to see the manufacturers losing out big time.

As methamphetamine is so cheap and easy to make, I don't think they would have lost out "big time". Maybe their loss would be similar to you losing 1000 baht. Whatever losses they made, it would probably all be covered (plus many times over) after the next batch successfully goes through soon.

When they show us that they have destroyed the drugs, I might believe they were taken off the streets!

Even then you would not believe and find ways to turn a positive into a negative.

Pathetic!

The damage and grieve those pills would have done would have been huge.

I assume that your statement is based on news stories and anecdotes rather than science and statistics.

You mean Breaking Bad wasn't a documentary?

Ridiculous post.

Shooting was not an option? The damage and grieve those pills would have done would have been huge

Well, a lot of people would have gotten high anyway. This Reefer Madness talk tends to make people ignore the real dangers of drug use.

The damage and grieve those pills would have done would have been huge.

I assume that your statement is based on news stories and anecdotes rather than science and statistics.

You mean Breaking Bad wasn't a documentary?

Ridiculous post.

No, but Reefer Madness was:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T-Ry3ERumkk

Ridiculous post.

No more ridiculous than statements that are borne from Reefer-Madness-like propaganda.

Edited by hyperdimension
  • Like 1