Free wifi hotspots expanding in Yangon, Mandalay

Redlink will expand free Wi-Fi in parts of Yangon and Mandalay, starting with Yangon’s University of Medicine 1 in July, says U Myo Myint Nyunt, the company’s assistant general manager for sales and marketing.

From The Myanmar Times, by Aung Kyaw Nyunt

Redlink.jpg

The service will later be extended to the University of Mandalay, Mandalay Airport, the University of Yangon and Yangon Railway Station, he said.
Last December, Redlink provided free Wi-Fi to Shwe Dagon Pagoda and Yangon International Airport, and earlier this year to Yangon University of Foreign Languages and restaurants and places of entertainment around Kandawgyi.
Read the full article here: Redlink to expand free Wi-fi services

I tried, tried, tried, tried.... and tried to use the free wi-fi at Shwedagon around February/March time and it was just so slow it was a joke.

As I walked around the Pagoda, I think every man, woman and child was playing on a smart phone...

Some of the hotels and restaurants are pretty good though, yet they all have this 'Myanmar internet phenomenon' whereby the link is good for 5-10 mins, then crap for a minute or two and then off it goes again... For the record I blame phazey for everything... even though he's not here!cheesy.gif

We are trying to raise the speed above 256 kbps

That would be great. Redlink, I believe, is the market leader in Internet access, but at the apartment where I used to stay, this still left the WiFi provided by the landlord (direct contract via the telephone line, not a building-wide contract) so slow that I used international roaming with my AIS phone instead. Tethering does the trick for the laptop.

Same holds true for the WiFi in the Yangon airport lounge.