[Video] Thailand Coup 2014 - Message to John Kerry and the World

george

George, I know I am not allowed to criticize the moderators, but as the puu yai baan (headman) of ThaiVisa, actually more akin to the phuu wa ratchakaan (governor) now that your website has grown from the early days, posting that particular political propaganda piece under the news section was, in the politest term I can come up with without being banned for life, terribly unbecoming.

At the risk of also being banned for life (but who cares if this is a biased forum) ....

Excellent response Johpa!

• Like 1

• Replies 281
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Who on earth made that drivel?

Not drivel at all in my humble opinion. It is simplistic but that is what someone like John Kerry needs, he doesn't appear to understand the world he lives in.

Brilliant video.

The majority of Thais have a different opinion to this video. If they did not, then there would be a different outcome to the elections.

exactly... and to make a 'reversal' vid would be breaking the law

Who on earth made that drivel?

The people that suffered for the past six months, because of the political situation in Thailand.

The people that dislike John Kerry's intervention and comments on Thailand politics.

The people that are happy and welcome the army, that already brought calm and justice to Thailand.

The people that are proud of themselves and disapprove foreign intervention.

The people that live in this country and love their country.........THE THAIS.

BRAVO! Costas2008. Thank you, George.

I sing in a lonely choir but any who has read my posts knows I too assert the US/Atlantic Alliance flexes a global hegemony through these types of tactics. The US variously uses coup/not coup to achieve its foreign policy objectives and trying to discern an actual legitimate US policy is dizzying- unless you realize the import of this video. However, the greater abuse of democratic processes is on display in America, not Thailand. Agree or disagree with any faction in Thailand, it cannot be argued Americans are nearly as aware of what is "done in our name." At least Thais are cogent enough to be aware there is a problem. As an American it brings me no joy to assert these things; I generally despise self loathing. I think the sheer enormity of what is being suggested overwhelms people's sense that the world may not actually be operating as they are informed it does=denial! No, it is not conspiracy (as if that pejorative is enough to silence fact).

I applaud this video.

• Like 2

I guess getting an accurate percentage of Thais who support/don't support the coup would be a difficult task.

In my case, here in Chiang Mai, I know a cross section of Thais.

As a cyclist covering some 600km a week, week in week out, I get to meet other cyclists, shop owners and so forth.

Incredible as it may seem, the only two people whom I have met who has expressed opposition to the coup are both farangs: one Swiss, one UK.

But I would say I have spoken to (approx):

12 shopkeepers

10 Thai cyclists

1 MD of a Moo Baan and his 'assistant'

4 kids whom I coach

8 family members

Mae Baan

approx 7 other people (friends of the wife and so on)

That at a rough guess is 43 people.

In addition my wife has numerous friends from Chantaburi, Chonburi, Isaan and Bangkok - all are 'working class girls or young men', most are married with young kids, some are ex-work colleagues. She claims a 100% support of the coup and goes further by telling me how angry people are at the past events and at those who continue to protest.

I'm not claiming this is scientific. Just relating my personal experience.

All are solid in their support for the current situation

Edited by ianf
  • Like 2

Interesting though, but may be credible, just look at Tony Abbott who is Anti Thailand this week.

I remember when comedy was funny and not a political screed. Anyone else that old?

That's not any knock on you, Mr Beach, it's a perfectly valid link, given this is a virulently political thread (by The Standards of George). Just commenting on so-called alleged "comedy" on the tube these days.

The Amnesty Law was passed. They then passed, at three o'clock in the morning, a special clause for Thaksin. They passed it. That's when the Yellow Shirts really got into gear and the bill or at least this part of it, disappeared.

http://thediplomat.com/2013/11/thai-amnesty-paves-way-for-thaksins-return/

keep up, will you?

No, the Amnesty Law was not passed. It was approved by one of two required Houses of parliament (and then rejected by the other) and still had a third stage to be formally signed. THEN it would have been passed.

The weasels of the House of Representatives slipped through a bill at 3 a.m. to send on to the Senate. They did not "pass" such a bill to become law, because no single House can do so.

In a discussion involving facts, let's stick closely to them.

Please do as you say

and study the facts. it was past

The amemdment was sent to the Senate who rejected it and sent in back to the lower house

after 180 the amendment would have become Law

The amendment to the bill passed through the house before it went on to the senate. I wrote this because some were saying that the video was full of lies, but you didn't really expect them to go into all that much detail, did you?

Seems like a clear case for an election then Ian! How many of those worthy citizens that you canvassed do you suppose would sell their vote for 500 baht? If there are any then perhaps these are the same kind of people who tell strangers what they think they want to hear..

I guess getting an accurate percentage of Thais who support/don't support the coup would be a difficult task.

As a cyclist covering some 600km a week, week in week out, I get to meet other cyclists, shop owners and so forth.

Incredible as it may seem, the only two people whom I have met who has expressed opposition to the coup are both farangs: one Swiss, one UK.

12 shopkeepers

10 Thai cyclists

4 kids whom I coach

8 family members

Mae Baan

In addition my wife has numerous friends from Chantaburi, Chonburi, Isaan and Bangkok - all are 'working class girls or young men', most are married with young kids, some are ex-work colleagues. She claims a 100% support of the coup and goes further by telling me how angry people are at the past events and at those who continue to protest.

Yes, the people are always too ignorant to decide their own destiny. They are also incapable of learning from their mistakes as those in the West have done, often born of blood.

Peace and prosperity under a fascist dictator is always the answer for all of the stupid peasants. Just as that guy - what was his name? - in Germany in the 1930's. He had all of the answers for the lemmings.

The final answer for him from the ignorant masses was that 60 million people died in Europe which was 2.5% of the world's population. LINK

Was the shedding of blood worth it? I say yes.

"Freedom isn't free." - Colonel, Walter Hitchcock (And used commonly in the United States to express gratitude to the military.)

For those justifying and cheering on violence and civil war because 'freedom isn't free' and blood must be shed, I offer you this:

“Violence,” came the retort, “is the last refuge of the incompetent.” - Isaac Asimov

Thailand has it's own way of resolving their problems and they will do so regardless of your opinions.

You keep repeating 'Thailand has its own way of resolving their problems' sic. Please provide say five bullet points where this has actually occurred in the past 10 - 15 years.

You mention human rights abuses, but I do not believe there has been one conviction with a prison term that has been enforced (correct me if I'm wrong). Also what is the number of the disappeared activists over the past 10 years or so (20+?) again with not one conviction with sentence being served. So what is this holy grail you refer to of Thais resolving their own problems.

It's a shame the video is so amateurish, really no excuse and is an embarrassment to the intellectual capability of the overseas Thai community.

Only five bullet points.?? Ask the red brethren - I'm sure they have many bullet points, grenade points, M16 points etc as has been demonstrated after dark many,many times recently often with fatal results. Hopefully the good general will prosecute these human rights abusers in the very near future.

If the video has done nothing else it has drawn out all the reds who have been remarkably quiet over the last two weeks or so. Reminds one of crabs crawling out from under rocks to feast on some tasty morsel.

Edited by Mudcrab

The amendment to the bill passed through the house before it went on to the senate. I wrote this because some were saying that the video was full of lies, but you didn't really expect them to go into all that much detail, did you?

Passed is an ambiguous word, probably used more by journalists than by constitutional lawyers. A bill that successfully progresses through the legislative process is passed into law, but I'm not sure that the word really applies to the various steps in that process. In the Thai National Assembly, with its two houses, the passage of the bill through the House of Representatives involves three readings (rather like in the UK), although obviously the passage of some bills is complicated by amendments and so on At the third reading the House must decide whether to approve or strike down the bill. If a resolution of approval is made then the President of the House will submit the bill to the Senate for consideration by the second tier. As I understand things that is all that could be meant by 'passed' in the context of the Amnesty Bill. To be passed into law the bill would then require approval by the Senate, presentation by the PM to the King for the Royal Assent and finally promulgation as an Act by publication in the Royal Gazette. The Amnesty bill was only ever a bill under deliberation by Parliament.

I'm all for the coup, but it's definitely not black and white.

For the world? They've got their own problems.

Haw can you be for a military cup ???? What did you learn in school it ever been a succes anywhere ????

What kind of education is required for a millitary General normally they only follows orders

If he needs weapons and unintelligent masseurs to control the country haw he gonna succeed ?????

It only brings more arms around and frustration that's not safe

He take the freedom of speech which was introduced by taksin

Martial law is millitary take over for police not the government so there are no law or justice now

But if the are as they say they must proof it and tell the truth about haw they end up with all there money and acces but it seams like it is all about hiding the truth in stead

And that's the point I think

why make a video like this if they want the truth why not debate haw the future cut be

No they are pissing there pants but soon it's gonna be cold and what an uneducated general who did not ever construct any thing in this size gonna do

This is just waste of time he is not gonna gain anything it's only a setback

The tourist go else where

Every things goes bye bye and he is to blame for long demonstration he is to blame for all the weapons around he bring the most in 2010 he killed many Thais

But buttemline is no army any where in the world is suitable as government only as help for a government which he chose not to be either but it is not my problem we all good but for the Thais it's not good and properly gonna bust the corruption

There's a fair amount of anti-U.S./U.K./Australia, far-right, ultra-nationalist pro-coup propaganda out there.

http://www.naewna.com/politic/columnist/12773

Among the fahlangs, they would be the political descendants of Oswald Mosley.

I say Mosley because while there are fascist self-exiles here from the USA and from Australia, the vast majority of fascist refugees to Thailand seem to originate from the UK.

Which has left the UK the better for it.

Australia would rank second.

The USA a distant third.

Or so It seems to me.

Regardless of any attempt to quantify the fahlang sentiment here by means of estimating it on the basis of nationality, your broad point is well taken and I think entirely valid in respect of Thais and fahlang alike.

I daresay the US is nothing close to a distant third. One of Mosley's American counterparts, Prescott Bush, had his son and his grandson elected president. And somewhat ironically, Perkins, the "economic hit man" in the video, worked for the same companies in Boston connected to Prescott and his peers. Beware Prescott's grandson Marvin who stays in the shadows.

Very well made Video !

Some people certainly won't like it .

but if you look at what american politics actually DO , apart from the usual blabla , you'll get a clea

Very well made Video !

Some people certainly won't like it . They do not like someone who tells the truth !

But if you look at what american politicians actually DO , apart from the usual blabla , you'll get a clearer picture of somebody who does not care about anything but their own profit .

<deleted> the Rest , Americans are the Best ...?

Obama won the Nobel prize of Peace , really ?

What a joke ... !!

• Like 1

I'm all for the coup, but it's definitely not black and white.

For the world? They've got their own problems.

Haw can you be for a military cup ???? What did you learn in school it ever been a succes anywhere ????

What kind of education is required for a millitary General normally they only follows orders

If he needs weapons and unintelligent masseurs to control the country haw he gonna succeed ?????

It only brings more arms around and frustration that's not safe

He take the freedom of speech which was introduced by taksin

Martial law is millitary take over for police not the government so there are no law or justice now

But if the are as they say they must proof it and tell the truth about haw they end up with all there money and acces but it seams like it is all about hiding the truth in stead

And that's the point I think

why make a video like this if they want the truth why not debate haw the future cut be

No they are pissing there pants but soon it's gonna be cold and what an uneducated general who did not ever construct any thing in this size gonna do

This is just waste of time he is not gonna gain anything it's only a setback

The tourist go else where

Every things goes bye bye and he is to blame for long demonstration he is to blame for all the weapons around he bring the most in 2010 he killed many Thais

But buttemline is no army any where in the world is suitable as government only as help for a government which he chose not to be either but it is not my problem we all good but for the Thais it's not good and properly gonna bust the corruption

This must be one of the more uninformed and illiterate posts in this thread up to now.

This must be one of the more uninformed and illiterate posts in this thread up to now.

There now, that takes care of the language problem, all we have left is the poster's rather ignorant comments.

• Like 2

Seems like a clear case for an election then Ian! How many of those worthy citizens that you canvassed do you suppose would sell their vote for 500 baht? If there are any then perhaps these are the same kind of people who tell strangers what they think they want to hear..

12 shopkeepers

10 Thai cyclists

4 kids whom I coach

8 family members

Mae Baan

Maybe. But elections are not necessarily an indicator of democracy. However, I did say that my sample was not scientific and also when people come to vote there are other pressures in Thailand (hence the need for reform and education).

For example: family/peer pressure, social pressure within villages, instructions from the boss at work and so on and so forth. It's not all money. As farangs we don't understand these pressures. My own view is that had proper elections under a free and fair system had been held precoup I don't think the result would have been a foregone conclusion for PTP.

12 shopkeepers

10 Thai cyclists

4 kids whom I coach

8 family members

Mae Baan

same with me and my wife family friends etc except we do know via the very expensive international school our 2 children attend several Thai woman married or mia noes of red shirts and Takins government and they are totally against but then they are very poor and only have mostly 8-10 million baht cars and a few simple 6-8 bed houses.

George, I know I am not allowed to criticize the moderators, but as the puu yai baan (headman) of ThaiVisa, actually more akin to the phuu wa ratchakaan (governor) now that your website has grown from the early days, posting that particular political propaganda piece under the news section was, in the politest term I can come up with without being banned for life, terribly unbecoming.

So you too want to censor the news? That is a speech to the world and like it or not, it's news.

Strange that you mention censorship at a time like this.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

12 shopkeepers

10 Thai cyclists

4 kids whom I coach

8 family members

Mae Baan

same with me and my wife family friends etc except we do know via the very expensive international school our 2 children attend several Thai woman married or mia noes of red shirts and Takins government and they are totally against but then they are very poor and only have mostly 8-10 million baht cars and a few simple 6-8 bed houses.
This shouldn't be at all surprising. Suthep was slowly strangling the Thai economy and it was affecting everybody down to the grassroots of society. With Suthep out of the way the streets are cleared and folks can get back to work. I personally think it is this rather than having a coup that people welcome. A friend has seen her business revenue increase 30% since Suthep was taken down. She's very happy.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

12 shopkeepers

10 Thai cyclists

4 kids whom I coach

8 family members

Mae Baan

But you live with the right people you will get the right answers

but for every one who things about what is good for the country there is sure to be one that thinks only of himself

and as you said many are Falang

• Like 1

12 shopkeepers

10 Thai cyclists

4 kids whom I coach

8 family members

Mae Baan

But you live with the right people you will get the right answers

but for every one who things about what is good for the country there is sure to be one that thinks only of himself

and as you said many are Falang

Really ? the "right people" ? would that be the white people as well or just the right sex ? how about religion ? ... thats about as bad as any racist or sexist crap

You any idea how arrogant that sounds ?

To suggest only someone who thinks the same as you is fine and the rest selfish or the "wrong kind of people" is frankly pathetic. I mean really pathetic.

I know many from both sides of opinion, some selfish of both persuasions but the vast majority as normal decent and unselfish people apart from just a differing opinion in some things. None are the "wrong" people

How dare you narrow everything and everyone down to the "right or wrong people" over one subject.

• Like 2