[Video] Thailand Coup 2014 - Message to John Kerry and the World

george

Coups in Thailand are "checks and ballances" Thai style. US, EU, AUstralia et al should repsect the way other countries handle democracy.

Rememeber the fuss that was made when Hamas won a democratic election in Palastine?

I suspect Kerry is pandering to the home audiance at the expense of Thailand. He should keep his nose out.

• Like 2

• Replies 281
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Spare us your "pretentious and boring lectures".commie lover.

For a minute there I thought I was reading from the film script of "Good Night and Good Luck".

But no, it's a real rebuttal of a post, in 2014!

What's next, "pinko liberals" ?

• Like 1

What is this ridiculous piece of propaganda doing in the news section? I thought we posted ridiculous videos like this in the Farang Pub section.

You must have missed this from the first page.

we are publishing opinion pieces from time to time. This video came in our news feed from an overseas expat community. We try to give airtime to all sides, why should we not?

If you have other (opposite side) video content to balance it out, feel free to PM me the YouTube links and we will probably publish.

Cheers

It's a disingenuous offer as criticism of the coup is not only banned on this forum, it's illegal under martial law directive number whatever. So how can a (opposite side) video be posted to balance it out?

• Like 1

There's a fair amount of anti-U.S./U.K./Australia, far-right, ultra-nationalist pro-coup propaganda out there.

http://www.naewna.com/politic/columnist/12773

Among the fahlangs, they would be the political descendants of Oswald Mosley.

I say Mosley because while there are fascist self-exiles here from the USA and from Australia, the vast majority of fascist refugees to Thailand seem to originate from the UK.

Which has left the UK the better for it.

Australia would rank second.

The USA a distant third.

Or so It seems to me.

Regardless of any attempt to quantify the fahlang sentiment here by means of estimating it on the basis of nationality, your broad point is well taken and I think entirely valid in respect of Thais and fahlang alike.

Edited by Publicus

Coups in Thailand are "checks and ballances" Thai style. US, EU, AUstralia et al should repsect the way other countries handle democracy.

Rememeber the fuss that was made when Hamas won a democratic election in Palastine?

I suspect Kerry is pandering to the home audiance at the expense of Thailand. He should keep his nose out.

And who are the checks and 'ballances' on the people doing the coup, the few remaining once that were there have been thrown in the bin and now there are none.

You do know the Thai Army's glorious record of successfully resolving conflicts and the political system via coups don't you? not to mention the endemic corruption, nepotism, cronyism etc which itself is fundamental to how the army works.

• Like 1

A little fancier than I would expect from the local Thai. Looks like it was produced by the Network of Thais Overseas (NTO), http://www.youtube.com/user/ThaisOverseas

From the comments on the youtube page. "This is true story in Thailand, I'm Thai"

Comments section on YouTube for this video is rigged you cannot enter a thumbs down vote, so much for fair play.

It's not rigged. You have to log in with you google account, even for a thumbs up. That controls riff raff.

Let's just say, this video is very economical with the truth. The first few sentences already contained lies, Thaksin never passed the Amnesty law, he might have tried it, but it was never passed. I will refrain from some of the other <deleted>, except to point out that reform can only be performed if there is a government that has a clear electoral mandate.

Of course after the reform by the militairy, there is no doubt the same people, or at the very least people from the same background and same methods will return to power, simply because a large part of the Thai electorate votes them into office, just as happens all around the world.

I think he was referring to the fact that Thaskin had full control of the PTP government, that he passed the bill through his puppets

any yes it was passed, okay it was pushed back by the Senate but after 180 days it would have become law

I think it shows that paties the have a clea electoral mandate are not neccaserally DEMOCRATIC

The biggest mistake I saw was Gillards picture on the vdo, she has been given the boot in Australia the same as Yingluck

What is this ridiculous piece of propaganda doing in the news section? I thought we posted ridiculous videos like this in the Farang Pub section.

You must have missed this from the first page.

we are publishing opinion pieces from time to time. This video came in our news feed from an overseas expat community. We try to give airtime to all sides, why should we not?

If you have other (opposite side) video content to balance it out, feel free to PM me the YouTube links and we will probably publish.

Cheers

It's a disingenuous offer as criticism of the coup is not only banned on this forum, it's illegal under martial law directive number whatever. So how can a (opposite side) video be posted to balance it out?

Send Admin a PM and ask him how as well as inform him that he's disingenuous.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

George, I know I am not allowed to criticize the moderators, but as the puu yai baan (headman) of ThaiVisa, actually more akin to the phuu wa ratchakaan (governor) now that your website has grown from the early days, posting that particular political propaganda piece under the news section was, in the politest term I can come up with without being banned for life, terribly unbecoming.

I totally disagree. Even if it was a bit inaccurate the video made some excellent points that are facts!

It is not purely propaganda at the end because it is factual information, and therefore you have the Kerry and likes

once again pushing their badly informed opinion on what is actually the best thing for this particular situation.

Maybe George will post a the other angle/ opposite view so is to actually show the truth.

Thanks Phuu Wa Ratchakaan!!!

• Like 1

Spare us your "pretentious and boring lectures".commie lover.

For a minute there I thought I was reading from the film script of "Good Night and Good Luck".

But no, it's a real rebuttal of a post, in 2014!

What's next, "pinko liberals" ?

"Commie lover" is sort of a woopydo way of "accusing" a fahlang at TVF of supporting the reds, UDD, Thaksin, as you well know.

"Pinko liberals" is far too mild!

The guy is from the Cold War Era of "Kill a commie for mommie" sentiment well mocked in song.

I'd block his posts but they're short, punchy, reliably good for a laugh, chuckle, or a smiling shake of the head.

And the guy believes Thai civilization is superior even though after 1000 years they still are nowhere near the mark.

How are the people going to learn the value of their votes if they don't suffer the consequences? There can be a long series of coups each with a reset leading to same same, or there can be a long series of elections where people get hurt. But even the rice farmers and therefore Isaan could eventually learn that voting for corrupt people doesn't really benefit them.

Lots of democracies go through long birthing pains. The US had a devastating civil war 100 years after it was founded where masses were killed. Atlanta was burned to the ground. But out the other side there was a long learning and coming together process.

And it bothers you that Thailand is more civilized than the USA, that Thailand chooses to avoid a civil war and the loss of millions of lives, the end result becoming like Cambodia under Pol Pot and the Khmer Rouge (Thaksin and the commie red-shirts).

Thailand is more civilized than the USA ?????? I do realize everyone has an opinion, but that statement is pure hogwash! bah.gif

I see this topic has brought out all the left and right wacko's along with the conspiricy nut cases, LOL!

I am sure the US and the rest of world have a much better idea of whats truely going on here compared with 99% of the people inside Thailand. With all the spying, satalites, internet hacking, phone listening etc. etc. etc. that the major powers have its highly unlikely that this propaganda video will have any effect or change how the outside world reports as they still have the freedom of speech unlike the press here currently.

How are the people going to learn the value of their votes if they don't suffer the consequences? There can be a long series of coups each with a reset leading to same same, or there can be a long series of elections where people get hurt. But even the rice farmers and therefore Isaan could eventually learn that voting for corrupt people doesn't really benefit them.

Lots of democracies go through long birthing pains. The US had a devastating civil war 100 years after it was founded where masses were killed. Atlanta was burned to the ground. But out the other side there was a long learning and coming together process.

And it bothers you that Thailand is more civilized than the USA, that Thailand chooses to avoid a civil war and the loss of millions of lives, the end result becoming like Cambodia under Pol Pot and the Khmer Rouge (Thaksin and the commie red-shirts).

Thailand is more civilized than the USA ?????? I do realize everyone has an opinion, but that statement is pure hogwash! bah.gif

Forgive me, I have trouble reading your comments with your photo, but what I was referring to is that the USA stupidly fought a civil war and the Thais do not want to. That is more civilized. The USA should have avoided their civil war.

What I find strange is most of the TV members claim that the majority of the Thai's are in favor of the coup. From my conversations with thai's since it happened I can't find more than about 20% who support it. This is not a scientific poll just a cross section of about 30 or so thai's composed of my staff, business associates and friends. The majority did not think the violence was to a point that warranted a coup. About 70% didn't seem to favor either political party or were willing to admit who they liked or preferred to govern. As what might be expected the coup here has been the main topic of conversation with most people.

Typical of some areas

They not worry Rice Farmers are commiting suicide

innocent children are being killed on the streets

the thai people money making the greedy rich

and guns where in the hands of some real dangerous people

etc etc etc

guess in any country there are all type, I feel sorry that you have choses to live with them

I must be lucky, In a village in Kalasiin ( meant to be Red shirt territory)

every one is happy that things are back to normal

and if you ask them are they worried about the curfew, they will tell you they are up when the sun rises and fast asleep way before the curfew time

so guess depends where you live

• Like 1

What I find strange is most of the TV members claim that the majority of the Thai's are in favor of the coup. From my conversations with thai's since it happened I can't find more than about 20% who support it. This is not a scientific poll just a cross section of about 30 or so thai's composed of my staff, business associates and friends. The majority did not think the violence was to a point that warranted a coup. About 70% didn't seem to favor either political party or were willing to admit who they liked or preferred to govern. As what might be expected the coup here has been the main topic of conversation with most people.

Typical of some areas

etc etc etc

guess in any country there are all type, I feel sorry that you have choses to live with them

and if you ask them are they worried about the curfew, they will tell you they are up when the sun rises and fast asleep way before the curfew time

I thought you and you better half moved to Hua Hin as no one in your village understood you?

• Like 1

I'm still waiting for someone to tell what reform" are they seeking, I think it would help the cause if they could elaborate what change would they introduce to the election system, not just a "reform".

Anyway, we will see it in 15+ months..

I more people learnt to read, you would see that the thai people will decide what reforms are needed

write your out and give to you Teelak (if you have one) and get her to submit it when the time comes

Typical of some areas

etc etc etc

Great answer

Didn't work on the Australian Government or it has done is get the coup leaders banned from entering Australia, blacklisted. Drove the wedge deeper.

why would they want to go there

most expats with any sense have left the over governed, currupt place

I'm still waiting for someone to tell what reform" are they seeking, I think it would help the cause if they could elaborate what change would they introduce to the election system, not just a "reform".

Anyway, we will see it in 15+ months..

I more people learnt to read, you would see that the thai people will decide what reforms are needed

write your out and give to you Teelak (if you have one) and get her to submit it when the time comes

Another great answer

They did this before with a Triumph of the Will-like video on the protests. This one is even more OTT. Likely to result in howls of laughter rather than serious consideration, given that it is so amateurish. I don't like the coup but if I were trying to justify it, the best advice would be "shut up and ride out the storm". This justification is woeful, embarrassingly awful and an insult to the intelligence of its viewers.

and of coarse you could do better

I look forward to watching you 5 baht's worth of your opinion on the coup

They did this before with a Triumph of the Will-like video on the protests. This one is even more OTT. Likely to result in howls of laughter rather than serious consideration, given that it is so amateurish. I don't like the coup but if I were trying to justify it, the best advice would be "shut up and ride out the storm". This justification is woeful, embarrassingly awful and an insult to the intelligence of its viewers.

and of coarse you could do better

I look forward to watching you 5 baht's worth of your opinion on the coup

LOL, you are killing me, excellent replies.

Interesting though, but may be credible, just look at Tony Abbott who is Anti Thailand this week.

I remember when comedy was funny and not a political screed. Anyone else that old?

That's not any knock on you, Mr Beach, it's a perfectly valid link, given this is a virulently political thread (by The Standards of George). Just commenting on so-called alleged "comedy" on the tube these days.

The Amnesty Law was passed. They then passed, at three o'clock in the morning, a special clause for Thaksin. They passed it. That's when the Yellow Shirts really got into gear and the bill or at least this part of it, disappeared.

http://thediplomat.com/2013/11/thai-amnesty-paves-way-for-thaksins-return/

keep up, will you?

No, the Amnesty Law was not passed. It was approved by one of two required Houses of parliament (and then rejected by the other) and still had a third stage to be formally signed. THEN it would have been passed.

The weasels of the House of Representatives slipped through a bill at 3 a.m. to send on to the Senate. They did not "pass" such a bill to become law, because no single House can do so.

In a discussion involving facts, let's stick closely to them.

Please do as you say

and study the facts. it was past

The amemdment was sent to the Senate who rejected it and sent in back to the lower house

after 180 the amendment would have become Law

“Violence,” came the retort, “is the last refuge of the incompetent.” - Isaac Asimov

Thailand has it's own way of resolving their problems and they will do so regardless of your opinions.

"Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel" - Samuel Johnson

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Well it is hard to believe the Americans did not know about all the corruption of the last government, yet they chose to continue dealing with the crocks.

They did not withdraw aid and military support then why now???

I am waiting for all the dirty washing to come out.whistling.gifwhistling.gifwhistling.gifwhistling.gifwhistling.gif

I think Oslo will be asking for that Nobel gong back.giggle.gif

Interesting though, but may be credible, just look at Tony Abbott who is Anti Thailand this week.

I remember when comedy was funny and not a political screed. Anyone else that old?

That's not any knock on you, Mr Beach, it's a perfectly valid link, given this is a virulently political thread (by The Standards of George). Just commenting on so-called alleged "comedy" on the tube these days.

The Amnesty Law was passed. They then passed, at three o'clock in the morning, a special clause for Thaksin. They passed it. That's when the Yellow Shirts really got into gear and the bill or at least this part of it, disappeared.

http://thediplomat.com/2013/11/thai-amnesty-paves-way-for-thaksins-return/

keep up, will you?

No, the Amnesty Law was not passed. It was approved by one of two required Houses of parliament (and then rejected by the other) and still had a third stage to be formally signed. THEN it would have been passed.

The weasels of the House of Representatives slipped through a bill at 3 a.m. to send on to the Senate. They did not "pass" such a bill to become law, because no single House can do so.

In a discussion involving facts, let's stick closely to them.

Please do as you say

and study the facts. it was past

The amemdment was sent to the Senate who rejected it and sent in back to the lower house

after 180 the amendment would have become Law

Exactly, I am out of votes

• Like 1

Well it is hard to believe the Americans did not know about all the corruption of the last government, yet they chose to continue dealing with the crocks.

They did not withdraw aid and military support then why now???

I am waiting for all the dirty washing to come out.whistling.gifwhistling.gifwhistling.gifwhistling.gifwhistling.gif

I think Oslo will be asking for that Nobel gong back.giggle.gif

Damn yankees

• Like 1

Typical of some areas

etc etc etc

I thought you and you better half moved to Hua Hin as no one in your village understood you?

You know what thought though

he thought his foot was out of the bed so he got out to have a better look welcome to reality

Yes we have purchased a property in Hua Hin, so you got that correct

But the wife as you know has 2 bussinesses here so they must be sold before we leave

and as far as the people in the village not understand me is concerned

you comment shows to must be a tourist and not a resisdant

so let me educate you

When the Pork is on the spit and the beer is in the ice, all Thai understand Farlang, but when you have advice to give, na na not Thai way, you make no sense

Paradigm Shift - will take up to 20 years is my guess