Alexander Shulgin, 'Godfather of ecstasy', dies aged 88

webfact

Alexander Shulgin, 'Godfather of ecstasy', dies aged 88
By Michelle Roberts
Health editor, BBC News online

US: -- The chemist who reinvented the popular party drug ecstasy has died at the age of 88 from liver cancer.

Alexander Shulgin earned his nickname, the Godfather of ecstasy, after honing a way to make the drug - and testing it out on himself to check it had worked.

A Facebook post by his wife and research partner, Ann, said he died "surrounded by family and caretakers and Buddhist meditation music".

He lived out his final years at his home in Northern California.

Full story: http://www.bbc.com/news/health-27676669

bbclogo.jpg
-- BBC 2014-06-04

Though he did not actually "invent" MDMA (it was first synthesized in 1912 by a Merck chemist, but Merck wsa not interested in its properties as they were researching substances that stopped abnormal bleeding), he did a lot of pioneering work in the field of psychoactive drugs, including MDMA's rediscovery and use in humans. Here's a good documentary about him:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B--z9YIr9Bk

DIRTY PICTURES is a documentary about Dr. Alexander "Sasha" Shulgin, the rogue chemist who discovered the effects of MDMA (aka Ecstasy) and over 200 other mind-altering drugs. Shulgin's alchemy has earned him the title "The Godfather of Psychedelics," and a reputation as one of the great chemists of the 20th century.

Working from a lab in his home, and using himself and his wife Ann as test subjects, Shulgin's discoveries have brought him into conflict with the law but made him a worldwide underground hero. The two books they co-authored, "Pihkal" and "Tihkal", have built a foundation for cutting-edge neuroscience and medical research. DIRTY PICTURES examines the impact of Dr. Shulgin's lifelong quest to unlock the complexities of the human mind.

{Alexander "Sasha" Theodore Shulgin (June 17, 1925 -- June 2, 2014) was an American medicinal chemist, biochemist, pharmacologist, psychopharmacologist, and author. He was the scientist behind more than 200 psychedelic compounds including MDMA, more commonly known as Esctasy. Considered to be one of the the greatest chemists of the twentieth century, Sasha's vast array of discoveries have had a profound impact in the field of psychedelic research. By employing unorthodox methods; testing his creations on himself, working from a makeshift lab in his home, Shulgin has gained the reputation of a modern day alchemist within the scientific community}

Here's the Wikipedia page about him: Alexander Shulgin

Here's the Wikipedia page about MDMA: MDMA

Edited by hyperdimension
  • Like 2

I hope the spirits of all the kids that died taking ecstacy are there to ensure he gets a 'warm' welcome!

.....................You could say that about whoever invented alchohol or smoking Jim.....I'm pretty sure those two killed more kids than ecstasy ever did hey....
  • Like 2

I hope the spirits of all the kids that died taking ecstacy are there to ensure he gets a 'warm' welcome!

.....................You could say that about whoever invented alchohol or smoking Jim.....I'm pretty sure those two killed more kids than ecstasy ever did hey....

And Henry Ford for all those cars that kids were killed in.

• Like 2

Though he did not actually "invent" MDMA (it was first synthesized in 1912 by a Merck chemist, but Merck wsa not interested in its properties as they were researching substances that stopped abnormal bleeding), he did a lot of pioneering work in the field of psychoactive drugs, including MDMA's rediscovery and use in humans. Here's a good documentary about him:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B--z9YIr9Bk

DIRTY PICTURES is a documentary about Dr. Alexander "Sasha" Shulgin, the rogue chemist who discovered the effects of MDMA (aka Ecstasy) and over 200 other mind-altering drugs. Shulgin's alchemy has earned him the title "The Godfather of Psychedelics," and a reputation as one of the great chemists of the 20th century.

Working from a lab in his home, and using himself and his wife Ann as test subjects, Shulgin's discoveries have brought him into conflict with the law but made him a worldwide underground hero. The two books they co-authored, "Pihkal" and "Tihkal", have built a foundation for cutting-edge neuroscience and medical research. DIRTY PICTURES examines the impact of Dr. Shulgin's lifelong quest to unlock the complexities of the human mind.

{Alexander "Sasha" Theodore Shulgin (June 17, 1925 -- June 2, 2014) was an American medicinal chemist, biochemist, pharmacologist, psychopharmacologist, and author. He was the scientist behind more than 200 psychedelic compounds including MDMA, more commonly known as Esctasy. Considered to be one of the the greatest chemists of the twentieth century, Sasha's vast array of discoveries have had a profound impact in the field of psychedelic research. By employing unorthodox methods; testing his creations on himself, working from a makeshift lab in his home, Shulgin has gained the reputation of a modern day alchemist within the scientific community}

Here's the Wikipedia page about him: Alexander Shulgin

Here's the Wikipedia page about MDMA: MDMA

thank you for providing context.

The alleged godfather of ecstasy did not like the name ecstasy, nor did he much appreciate being known as the godfather.

The BBC article is insultingly reductive of the life of a brilliant man. it is lowest common denominator reporting at its very worst.

I watched a documentary on a man in his 30's who had Parkinsons disease some years ago, he couldn't hold a cup of coffee due to the involuntary muscle spasms.

They gave him some ecstacy and within an hour he was doing gymnastics and dancing with not a single tremor in his body.

Scientists are now researching a new drug derived from ecstacy that has the same benefits without getting you high.

A lot of music and it's culture and sub cultures would not exist like they do today if it wasn't for this man.

He has changed the world in which we live in to some degree.

Edited by rhythmworx
  • Like 1

How many kids have died taking ecstasy? Do you blame Shulgin for those deaths?

I personally knew one.

But then again, knew a whole lot of others who had no issues.

The number of death cases resulting directly from MDMA itself is pretty low.

As with other things of this sort, there are a lot of other factors which may contribute to the risks.

The first time I took ecstasy I thought I was going to die .

Then I really got going. Es, acid, Special K and weed and not just small amounts.

If I'm honest, some of the best nights of my life. Some of the come downs weren't so great but manageable.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

I personally knew one.

How did that person die? Overheating? Drank too much water in an attempt to prevent overheating? Consuming it simultaneously with other drugs? Taking something that was thought to be MDMA but was not?

A large proportion of deaths were caused by these possible reasons that I've just mentioned above. By knowing such risks prior to taking MDMA, deaths can and have been prevented. Here's a quote from the article "Pointless deaths":

Yet for young, healthy people, MDMA itself is relatively harmless. The lethal dose is far higher than anyone would ever want to take. In the late 1990s lots of scare stories filled the newspapers as young men danced themselves to death by dehydration in overheated nightclubs (which in turn led to a spike in deaths of young women who drank so much water that they poisoned themselves). But of late, clubbers seemed to have learned their lesson—drink sports drinks and take it easy—and deaths had dropped off. The number of deaths at least partly caused by ecstasy in England and Wales fell to just 13 in 2011, from a peak of 56 in 2001.

Here are some usage statistics from the article Ecstasy use doubles in five years:

The National Criminal Intelligence Service estimates 500,000 to two million ecstasy tablets are consumed each week in Britain.

So a rough calculation of the percentage of users in the UK who died in 2011 because of taking MDMA would be between 13 / (500000 * 52) and 13 / (2000000 * 52) = between 0.00005% and 0.0000125%.

The fact that MDMA is illegal presents more dangers to those who wish to consume MDMA than if MDMA was legally available. Consumers can end up getting something other than MDMA that may be more toxic. Even if they do happen to get real MDMA, they may not know the concentration and so it may be difficult to take the most appropriate dose (optimal dose is around 1.5mg/kg). If MDMA was legally obtainable like ethanol and other legal recreational drugs, i.e. in a regulated market, such risks would not exist.

In the meantime, the best advice for those who wish to consume MDMA is to educate oneself and others of harm-minimization techniques. Use a test kit (e.g. Marquis Reagent) to help give a better idea of whether the substance contains MDMA. Here's a good video that outlines a careful approach to taking something whose ingredients you are unsure of:

1st time with a new pill or powder:

Edited by hyperdimension
  • Like 1

What the authorities told us all along is true! Taking illegal drugs can cause cancer.

The drugs that he took were not illegal at the time that he synthesized and consumed them!

Also, I think the link between consuming legal drugs (tobacco, ethanol) and cancer is far stronger!

I would be curious to know though whether his decision to self-administer the drugs that he synthesized had played a part in the liver cancer. But 88 is quite an old age to die anyway, so a link to his drug-taking may be difficult to prove, as diseases come naturally with old age. At least he (and his wife) didn't appear to be mentally retarded in the video, so it fails to prove the anti-drug assertion that taking psychoactive drugs damages your brain.

I personally knew one.

How did that person die? Overheating? Drank too much water in an attempt to prevent overheating? Consuming it simultaneously with other drugs? Taking something that was thought to be MDMA but was not?

A large proportion of deaths were caused by these possible reasons that I've just mentioned above. By knowing such risks prior to taking MDMA, deaths can and have been prevented. Here's a quote from the article "Pointless deaths":

<snip - too many quotes>

Sort of left out the rest of my post, which was pretty much in-line with what you just posted above.

I personally knew one.

But then again, knew a whole lot of others who had no issues.

The number of death cases resulting directly from MDMA itself is pretty low.

As with other things of this sort, there are a lot of other factors which may contribute to the risks.

If it wasn't clear enough for you, she did die of them "other factors", rather than the MDMA itself.

Here are some great interviews (one from July 2013 and the other from just a couple of weeks ago) with Rick Doblin (who also knew Shulgin). He is the founder of Multidisciplinary Association for Psychedelic Studies (MAPS) who has been working since 1986 to gain approval for the use of MDMA to treat post-traumatic stress disorder. He explains in great detail the challenges involved (e.g. legal, bureaucratic, funding) in working with the mainstream systems in order to make progress towards his goal. He has a long-term vision of a world in which psychedelic drugs will be available for people not only for therapeutic use but also for other beneficial uses including enhancement of creativity, exploration of consciousness and meaning in life, and possibly forming a global spirituality that unifies everyone as opposed to different religions opposed to each other. He openly admits to using MDMA and other psychedelic drugs, and urges others to "come out of the closet" about their own psychedelic drug use, just as Steve Jobs did when he admitted that his consumption of LSD played a significant role in the formulation of creative ideas that helped Apple to become one of the world's most successful companies.

"Rick Doblin - Fighting the Good Fight | London Real":

"Rick Doblin - MDMA Therapy | London Real":