I Need A Job In A Band In Pattaya

DIMESTOREROCK

Hey Everyone.

Im a farang just back from pattaya. Im looking to move over to thailand shortly as my Girlfriends parents have just moved to Sisaket and we would like to move to pattaya. As it's very difficult for a farang to get a job in thailand im looking to either join a band as a guitarist or start a new band.

Im 23 and love playing rock music and classics that most Farangs like to hear when they visit thai bars.

Cheers

CJ

Good luck but i don't hold alot of hope for you, guitarists in pattaya are 2 a penny i'm afraid and the bars are going to go for the thais everytime as it means no permit problems and lesser salaries, the only hope you've got (not a guarantee) is to go to Tonys and ask but bear in mind you won't earn alot and you'll need a strong backbone to suffer the agro that he'd give you.

The guys a professional and its his way or the highway. :o

Edited by davethailand

thanks for the info. i went passed Tony's but never went in. Your right, there are alot of Thai guitarists but one thing i noticed about them all is that they are all as good as each other. I only seen one guy who i reckon stood out amongst them all. The band that plays in the Kilkenny Irish bar on Walking street 6 days a weeks. He was very good but still never let rip. It's all a case of listen to the CD and learn it note for note.

Doesn't make the bars with live bands any different from any other bar with a live band.

Im not looking to make alot of money out of it. Probabably just enough to keep my belly full and a roof on my head for a while.

Cheers

CJ

thanks for the info. i went passed Tony's but never went in. Your right, there are alot of Thai guitarists but one thing i noticed about them all is that they are all as good as each other. I only seen one guy who i reckon stood out amongst them all. The band that plays in the Kilkenny Irish bar on Walking street 6 days a weeks. He was very good but still never let rip. It's all a case of listen to the CD and learn it note for note.

Doesn't make the bars with live bands any different from any other bar with a live band.

Im not looking to make alot of money out of it. Probabably just enough to keep my belly full and a roof on my head for a while.

Cheers

CJ

Theres an old guy who plays in Pattaya, Morrison or something and he's apparently known as Thailands best??

:o

Cheers

CJ

Theres an old guy who plays in Pattaya, Morrison or something and he's apparently known as Thailands best??

Dave, doesn't he play in the Factory of Blues or something like that. On Soi Lucky Star just off Walking St :D:D

Cheers

CJ

Dave, doesn't he play in the Factory of Blues or something like that. On Soi Lucky Star just off Walking St :D:D

You know you might be onto something there :D

Cheers

CJ

Overindulgent crap, there are far better in Thailand. :D

Cheers

CJ

:D 23 years of age, I think you would be better to go back to school and get a better education, where do you come from not the old country Lady thatcher, there are tooooooooo many guitars players in this wild west town, do dont get caught up otherwise you will be paying for a baby,buffalo, new phone care etc, get back and get a good life you are toooooo young keep out of this town

Cheers

CJ

You know you might be onto something there :D

His first name isn't Lam is it???? :D

Cheers

CJ

Yeah, -I- have played with him, he's all right. :D

Would have to agree with chatters. Pattaya a place for the more experienced in life with a support base of people your own age. Not that many early twenties Europeans in town on a long term basis, and downtown many older sharks in the water happy to use and abuse the inexperienced. Graet place for a holiday with your mates, but then go home.

Cheers

CJ

Actually there are some pretty good Thai musicians around - but not necessarily in the Pattaya bars. It's like everywhere, there's good, mediocre and bad, but I can assure you there are some very talented Thai musos here that could hold their head in any company, and I have heard Thai guitarists let rip, and do their own "amazing things' on many occassions.

It must be hard to get into the music, when you're on a nightly grind of playing 6 -7 days a week, 7-8 hours a session in some seedy bar, with a couple of over weight, drunken farangs, 3 or 4 over age bar girls, and a mangy dog or two for your audience. :D

But I guess as a professional musician, you would know about this. :D

As Dave said, it's hard for a farang get a job here as a muso, and don't try it without a permit - the Thai musos don't like it and will shop you.

As some others have said, make your 'pot of gold' somewhere else, then come and enjoy it. :o

Edited by Mobi D'Ark

And yet another 'positive' Pattaya post from the Noodle. :D

I wonder how many lemons he sucks per day to make him so bitter...? :D

Cheers

CJ

Your getting really boring now Noodles with your pathetic views. :D

Lam Morrison has had and still has more recognition in the WHOLE of Thailand than you ever will.

Do you get emails sent to you from fans all over the world? Doubt it..

I think the closest thing you'd get would be negative replies to your negative posts. :D

Edited by davethailand

Lam Morrison has had and still has more recognition in the WHOLE of Thailand than you ever will.

I think the closest thing you'd get would be negative replies to your negative posts. :D

Hi everyone.

Yes Dave I've got to agree that Lam is the best. He is technically brilliant and combines his amazing skill with real creativity. Who else would play Beethoven 5 in the style of Jimi Hendrix? What other band plays with such cohesion and power? All the members are great,great musicians. Lam tends to overshadow them with his style but anywhere else the others would be treated as stars in their own right.

Sorry to be negative about my favourite Band and my favourite Bar but......wait for it.......WHY DO THEY PLAY SO LOUD?

The sound level is far too high. I have no doubt it exceeds all health and safety guidelines. On top of that it makes any conversation almost impossible.

The other night a group of my pals met to chat and the Blues Factory was immediately vetoed on the grounds of noise level. Even an ex muso among us who knows for sure that he has damaged his hearing through excessive contact with speaker stacks declined to go.

We ended up in the Big C area of town and wandered forlornly along the beer bars which were generally empty apart from a few girls and a chrome pole molester. (Low season looks really low in beer bars). Then down Soi 2 we found what exactly we were looking for. A bar with more customers than any other ten in the area combined. Why? The music was BACKGROUND music not deafening disco rock.

Good luck to the OP. There are more good guitarists in Pattaya than you can shake a stick at. Still, no one becomes a musician to get rich (or do they?). :D:D

Edited by Thailandvisitor

Hi everyone.

Yes Dave I've got to agree that Lam is the best. He is technically brilliant and combines his amazing skill with real creativity. Who else would play Beethoven 5 in the style of Jimi Hendrix? What other band plays with such cohesion and power? All the members are great,great musicians. Lam tends to overshadow them with his style but anywhere else the others would be treated as stars in their own right.

Sorry to be negative about my favourite Band and my favourite Bar but......wait for it.......WHY DO THEY PLAY SO LOUD?

The sound level is far too high. I have no doubt it exceeds all health and safety guidelines. On top of that it makes any conversation almost impossible.

The other night a group of my pals met to chat and the Blues Factory was immedialtely vetoed on the grounds of noise level. Even an ex muso among us who knows for sure that he has damaged his hearing through excessive contact with speaker stacks declined to go.

We ended up in the Big C area of town and wandered forlornly along the beer bars which were generally empty apart from a few girls and a chrome pole molester. (Low season looks really low in beer bars). Then down Soi 2 we found what exactly we were looking for. A bar with more customers than any other ten in the area combined. Why? The music was BACKGROUND music not deafening disco rock.

Good luck to the OP. There are more good guitarists in Pattaya than you can shake a stick at. Still, no one becomes a musician to get rich (or do they?). :D:D

Regarding the sound levels- Tell me about it :D

The Blues Machine now play about 20% quieter than before but Lam is still a bit of a problem.

It stems from his guitar volume, sometimes he plays quietly which means we can keep the main PA down so everything is nicely balanced but then unexpectedly he winds the power up on his guitar amp and drowns out the PA sound hence the PA being brought up to balance the sound.

The main reason is of course is that Lam is tone deaf and can't even here his own voice..... because his bloody guitar is too loud.

I have to say though when Lams on doing his Rock show then The Blues Factory becomes The Rock Factory which is not the place to come if you want a chat.

:D

Edited by davethailand

Lam is not only an excellent musician and entertainer, he is also a very decent bloke.

Btw, word has it that he eats noodles for breakfast... :D

Lam is not only an excellent musician and entertainer, he is also a very decent bloke.

Btw, word has it that he eats noodles for breakfast... :D

:D:D A full English One :D

Blues Factory is loud, but I don't think people want background music - they come for full on live gig. You want quiet chat fk off somewhere else. :o

Lip readers only at the 'TV Piss Up' there then... :D

Blues Factory is loud, but I don't think people want background music - they come for full on live gig. You want quiet chat fk off somewhere else. :D

Hence we are meeting at Lennies before and always the back bar afterwards. :o

Blues Factory is loud, but I don't think people want background music - they come for full on live gig. You want quiet chat fk off somewhere else. :D

If that is the case it might be an idea to let people know, not just have vague 'if' references.

So will Dave be 'reserving a section' in the 'back bar' as you 'hoped'...? :D

If that is the case it might be an idea to let people know, not just have vague 'if' references.

So will Dave be 'reserving a section' in the 'back bar' as you 'hoped'...? :o

Uh I'm sure Dave will reserve a section at Blues Factory for 10pm. :D Start at Lennies around 7pm. :D

As for the back bar - one thats behind Blues Factory - we've often had drinks/quiet chat there after the gig! :D

Edited by britmaveric

So will Dave be 'reserving a section' in the 'back bar' as you 'hoped'...? :o

Uh I'm sure Dave will reserve a section at Blues Factory for 10pm. :D Start at Lennies around 7pm. :D

As for the back bar - one thats behind Blues Factory - we've often had drinks/quiet chat there after the gig! :D

OK, thanks. :D

Will try and be there to meet a few of you guys at Lennies, as a minimum... :D

You haven't got the time to go. you are never off tV :D

You haven't got the time to go. you are never off tV :D

Fairely soon - won't see me for sometime!!! :o

Huh ? You going somewhere ? Who's going to post all those wonderful news articles about Pattaya ? And you're so close to the 10,000 mark !

And that operation to remove the keyboard from your hands won't be cheap. Nor will the one to remove the chair from your butt ! :D

I'll need to be reminded again before the day so i remember to reserve an area. :D

An area by the Men's toilet should do the trick. It seems a lot of members like your bathrooms. :o