10-year-old Thai boy sole provider for bedridden parents

webfact

A truly heart rending story. Is there a Thai speaker among the TV members who lives near enough to check on this story and learn more background ? Not in any way implying it is untrue, but there maybe more to the story than has been released so far.

As someone has mentioned, any young lad with dependents in this situation is in need of a responsible adult(s) to guide and support him.

Maybe Bank managers or school teachers are not the most appropriate for this task, although they could have valuable input.

This could be a very long term project and continuity of support and guidance will be essential.

Pushing funds towards a Trust fund is probably a good plan at some stage, but only after a lot more facts are known and assurances that it will be used wisely and selflessley by the Trustees. Let us do the right thing, but with caution and after due diligence.

• Like 1

Well, come on Admin.....It is time to set up the Thai Visa account to help this young man out. For all of the "Huff and Puff" some of our members display from time to time there are certainly some very good hearts out there in our team. This kid has displayed true heart, courage, determination, and loyalty for his family. So there you have it T.V, it is time to set up a bank account, as suggested, maybe a couple of good hearted members living locally can join forces and go and pay a visit. This kid needs help, and probably some cheering up. Buddha bless him and his family. Get it going and I am well and truly in. wai2.gif

I would provide 10,000 baht if I was 100% sure it would go to the boy and his family.

If Thaivisa can take responsibility for collecting and ensuring that it would go to the family, I would have no hesitation.

Great kid.

I'm out of likes, so I say good on you.

Some time ago I read about another story like this in the paper. I was moved by it and made some enquiries about it. I assisted and it felt good to make a difference to someone's life. Some time later the person we helped passed on, but the money they received from so many made the last days, weeks, months of her life much nicer.

A few baht by many hands would make a big difference, but I also understand peoples reservations.

On the face of it; I don;t see a scam here. - However; to deprive this incredibly courageous kid of some serious help is not an option:

1) Best Case scenario: everything is on the 'up', or

2) It IS a scam

If everybody would donate a modest sum (between 200 - 500 Tbt.) this little boy would either be helped very much,or Karma would take care of any scammer(s).

coffee1.gif

As promised yesterday, my wife rang the teacher on the number provided in OP.

Also rang the local health Authority.

First, I can confirm, it's not a scam, being on National news also.

Second the wife was told that there is a school committee that handles the money donated and they give the parents and the boy as they think fit.

She provided my wife with a different account, because she claims that Agricultural Bank has been difficult.

I can't provide that account as I can't verify it.

As I said before the account I provided is from Khaosod, Thai side.

You can check.

So, I decided, to make a donation and carry on in the future making donations to that family.

You have to decide yourselves, what you want to do.

You can wait for TV to set a collection...................................

The wheelchair is not a very good idea, as wife says, probably she will not be able to use it, in her condition.

Also she has to be near the husband to take care of him.

Anyway, Best of Luck to everybody.

Regards

Costas

If it isnt a scam why is there hesitation to send baht. The account is set up. I think many of you who say you want to help are just talk talk talk!

Lets see some deposit receipts!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by choochoo
  • Like 2

This is the EXACT google translation that it gave me "Fund to help support the family jewelry elven boy Kaylee"

So I am just not sure about this . I know google is not exact in translation so please do your homework people

This was the editors choice for a news story I hope the editor has checked out these facts

Since the school administration has opened a bank account in Geng's name to help raise money for his family, could they just provide the account details rather than asking that we ring the teacher?

If you're in the country, Call the teacher, get the details and leave them here.

• Like 1

If enough TV members were willing to provide ongoing support for this boy, perhaps several of us can get together and go there to establish what the child's circumstances are. Then report back on the findings and develop a plan where everyone who wants to help has input as to what can be done, such as hired help, medical needs, education etc. His circumstances present a multifaceted problem that requires long term commitment from a community of individuals. Different individuals could commit to certain endeavors and of course periodic checks on the boy's well being would be necessary. We could also organize ourselves by region.

Transparency would be key with every member receiving a monthly copy of the bank passbook well as a spreadsheet of expenses.

These are just off the top of my head thoughts. If we want to help, it can be easily done but requires a little work to establish veracity, followed by commitment, organization and transparency.

If anyone wanted to commit to a group plan, I am in. If no one is up for that, but someone verifies the circumstances first hand, then I am also in for whatever is legitimately going to the boy.

Oryx

• Like 2

Geng, strong little man with such a big heart - you are my hero! I am sure my kids could learn a lot from you and I salute you for your bravery and for being there for your parents despite all odds. Your story restores my faith in humanity. As much as your story makes my eyes well up with tears, as much my heart rejoices to see that there are such strong and passionate children out there.

Thanks to TV for sharing this story!

I had a long essay here about how to help with nanny employed fulltime for 8 years, TV member funding and all, but after reading Suradit's wisely put post, I erased that part since most likely what I suggested there will not happen anyway, letting alone to carry the fund through for 8 years until Geng is 18. I must say that Suradit has given the best ever and down to earth reply anyone could give in such a situation, foreseeing all the odds and pitfalls. He's also right with what he said about the local communities. What I'll do is to simply chip in to the proposed account and hope that it will be spent wisely and that it helps Geng.

You're a wise man, Suradit69 - well spoken! Thank you for taking everyone's pink sunglasses off and for telling the truth!

Edited by catweazle
  • Like 1

I read somewhere today that the government or a senior official is pushing for some welfare reforms in Thailand, so that in cases like this the government or a social security dept can step in and assist..i have seen these types of situations and have helped a young lady through the school, her mother had passed and her dad was invalided at home, poor as church mice! she never ate lunch, breakfast was for dreaming and hope was for dinner,,The other children did not, help as up in the remote areas they cant afford to help and due to upbringing it was simply bad luck. I had a quiet word with the school and paid for her lunch for a year bought a bike so she could get to and from school and home quicker and asked the school to pass on some money to the father for medicine.the school was grateful and the girl never did know quite how she was able to have lunch without any money.the tragedy that befalls such young children to be burdened is something we probably don't experience much back in farangland, however sad it is I was unable to stay around to see such hardship without doing something as it brought tears to my eyes and a heavy heart, I have never felt sorry for myself since.and often wonder how that family is getting on, what is the point of having money if you cannot do some good with it to people who could really use a hand. this boy will grow up to be one of thailands finest young lads and you have to admit that the pride that he carries out and the love of his parents is something that he can be proud of.... as Ghandi once said be the change you want to see in the world...and to the sceptics of whether this is a scam look inside your heart and believe what it tells you.and be grateful for your lot in life.

• Like 2

Isn't it possible possible to open a sort of 'Trust' ? Where the money would be safe and no one could take out, but a monthly payment done? What ever new money is coming in, it has to go to the 'Trust' and stay there.

Just what I was about to post.

Set up some sort of trust and a 'trust-worthy' administrator (excuse the pun) who could oversee the thing and dole out money to the boy and his family as and when needed.

There MUST be some sort of reliable charitable organisation in Thailand that can do that ...?

Isn't it possible possible to open a sort of 'Trust' ? Where the money would be safe and no one could take out, but a monthly payment done? What ever new money is coming in, it has to go to the 'Trust' and stay there.

Just what I was about to post.

Set up some sort of trust and a 'trust-worthy' administrator (excuse the pun) who could oversee the thing and dole out money to the boy and his family as and when needed.

There MUST be some sort of reliable charitable organisation in Thailand that can do that ...?

You could do it..................i trust you!

Happy to make a contribution whilst pointing out that Thai governments of every hue have failed in their collective responsibility to provide funds and support for the many families that face similar obstacles. In fact, I seem to recall Chalerm's comment, following proposals to introduce certain welfare benefits to Thailand, to the effect that Thais didn't need welfare benefits.

Don't mean to sound un-supportive but, boy has been fending for himself since age 3?

Sent from my iPhone using ThaiVisa app

He has an older sister and an older brother.

Both left the house, living somewhere else.

No support to the family.

Probably he is in this situation for the last 1 or 2 years.

Where are all the thai rouge supporters.....surely this should be something they would be on to straight away...helping the downtrodden poor?

Let me know how I can help Costas-I'm in

Let me ring tomorrow morning to the number provided in OP.

Then I will let you know and you can make a donation to the account I provided to Neverdie as I will do.

Don't know if this is the Bank telephone number or the school one.

I'll let you know tomorrow.

Thanks for this.

I will also send 1000bht now and even more later if this family will need more.

I will ask my g/f to transfer properly if this must be written in Thai.

I already spreading this post and photo to my country friends .

It could be a good example for our countries schools subject about human life here and there for comparisation.

• Like 1

Hi Weegee,

Well okay, but what I am saying, is that the biggest victim in this, is the 10 year old boy. He needs a PARENT figure not just some money!! Even if they get a wheelchair, a new TV, some aircon, some proper beds, a food budget that is dependable, the boy will still be the main caretaker, and that is not good. The parents are in sad circumstances for sure, but I think, not too much can be done, but make their life a bit more comfortable. But the boy has his whole life in front of him and needs some guidance I would guess. Needs some love, some support, people HE can depend on!

I mean, I don't really understand the story, because it makes it sound like he has been doing this all his life. And that doesn't seem possible. And if he has older siblings, they must really have some blame in letting it get to this situation. However, maybe nobody can control them, and they just ran off?? Maybe he will run off, when he is old enough?? I don't know what to say about this!! I adopted a child here, who probably would have ended up in similar circumstances "taking care of her drug-addicted, never had a job, MOM, and her grandmother was and would be the main instigator to ruin her life in that way. The lengths some people will go to here, getting children to do their work, is really ridiculous, in my opinion.

So anyway, I am just concerned that people will forget about the child and his needs, and his future life, and just be thinking about getting a few "luxury" items to make the bed-ridden parents have a bit of comfort, which is understandable, but they are really two different issues in my mind. The parents need some help, and the kid, needs some parents and a life!

How awesome it would be if the kid had a new family,(I mean a stand-in family or adoptive family or any adult who could provide stability and guidance) a more regular family life, and knew that his bio-parents, who can not take care of him, were being taken care of, by someone, not him!

AmyKat, You are so right on! Do you think that maybe there is a reliable Thai organization that does this sort of thing? I'm guessing that the royal family might, God/Buddha bless their souls, but is there perhaps another organization? Perhaps one that would welcome farang donations?

• Like 1

As promised yesterday, my wife rang the teacher on the number provided in OP.

Also rang the local health Authority.

First, I can confirm, it's not a scam, being on National news also.

Second the wife was told that there is a school committee that handles the money donated and they give the parents and the boy as they think fit.

She provided my wife with a different account, because she claims that Agricultural Bank has been difficult.

I can't provide that account as I can't verify it.

As I said before the account I provided is from Khaosod, Thai side.

You can check.

So, I decided, to make a donation and carry on in the future making donations to that family.

You have to decide yourselves, what you want to do.

You can wait for TV to set a collection...................................

The wheelchair is not a very good idea, as wife says, probably she will not be able to use it, in her condition.

Also she has to be near the husband to take care of him.

Anyway, Best of Luck to everybody.

Regards

Costas

Thank you Costas! Before I head off to the bank, I have one question, just so I am clear. Please tell me whether or not I am correct in understanding that the account that you mentioned yesterday is the Agricultural Bank, the one that the school committee has had difficulty with. If you don't mind my asking, how did you donate? Agricultural Bank, or perhaps to school committee? I'm not being nosy, just want to make sure the funds are well used.

If it isnt a scam why is there hesitation to send baht. The account is set up. I think many of you who say you want to help are just talk talk talk!

How about showing yours...?

Edited by evadgib

I read somewhere today that the government or a senior official is pushing for some welfare reforms in Thailand, so that in cases like this the government or a social security dept can step in and assist..i have seen these types of situations and have helped a young lady through the school, her mother had passed and her dad was invalided at home, poor as church mice! she never ate lunch, breakfast was for dreaming and hope was for dinner,,The other children did not, help as up in the remote areas they cant afford to help and due to upbringing it was simply bad luck. I had a quiet word with the school and paid for her lunch for a year bought a bike so she could get to and from school and home quicker and asked the school to pass on some money to the father for medicine.the school was grateful and the girl never did know quite how she was able to have lunch without any money.the tragedy that befalls such young children to be burdened is something we probably don't experience much back in farangland, however sad it is I was unable to stay around to see such hardship without doing something as it brought tears to my eyes and a heavy heart, I have never felt sorry for myself since.and often wonder how that family is getting on, what is the point of having money if you cannot do some good with it to people who could really use a hand. this boy will grow up to be one of thailands finest young lads and you have to admit that the pride that he carries out and the love of his parents is something that he can be proud of.... as Ghandi once said be the change you want to see in the world...and to the sceptics of whether this is a scam look inside your heart and believe what it tells you.and be grateful for your lot in life.

AMEN!

Hi mates, I suggest everybody chip in a little to assist this little boy. Its absolutely tough for him or his family. Lets do it mates!

Sure. But let somebody bring the donation to him and hand it over personally to HIM. Otherwise a new car will be parked in front of the school soon. That's the way it goes.

• Like 1

Why not show yours?

Been out all day....but this subject and that young fella, has been on my mind...

Just caught up on the threads, so COSTAS is that account OK? is there another one also....

Mine will be an Inter Bank Transfer....as soon as I am sure where EXACTLY IN ENGLISH to send it...and are you and your Mrs close by that area where he is?

Please keep me updated.....thanks

While this is an extreme case, this is not so uncommon in Thailand as we would like to think.

I came across several cases in the Phitsanulok area when I was running a scholarship scheme there. Very often, even the teachers did not find out until the situation had been going on for some time.

Just one case.... a boy in M.6 who was working in the evenings to provide for himself and his insane uncle. The boy managed to get a university place notwithstanding. He never told his teachers (face, I suppose).

Another... a boy who worked all hours and all trades to pay for his father's dialysis treatment (this was before the 30 baht scheme). His home was empty; everything had been sold to pay for the treatment.

There are many fine people, just ordinary people, in this country where we have made our homes, and it sickens me to see the scumbags who never have anything good to say for things Thai.

Thais, as you rightly describe, do care about their own family.....

And then some people get annoyed at how selfish they usually are in other instances...

While this is an extreme case, this is not so uncommon in Thailand as we would like to think.

I came across several cases in the Phitsanulok area when I was running a scholarship scheme there. Very often, even the teachers did not find out until the situation had been going on for some time.

Just one case.... a boy in M.6 who was working in the evenings to provide for himself and his insane uncle. The boy managed to get a university place notwithstanding. He never told his teachers (face, I suppose).

Another... a boy who worked all hours and all trades to pay for his father's dialysis treatment (this was before the 30 baht scheme). His home was empty; everything had been sold to pay for the treatment.

There are many fine people, just ordinary people, in this country where we have made our homes, and it sickens me to see the scumbags who never have anything good to say for things Thai.

Thais, as you rightly describe, do care about their own family.....

And then some people get annoyed at how selfish they usually are in other instances...

Sounds like we here may be the only family he has.....

no time to read the topic through.if TV can contribute something else than bashing and moaning- i am in. MOD'S can you make a offical anouncment and provide bank details and someone who will control it?me think the boy need help,urgent if true!pm me if help is needed.

A notice to members willing to make a donation.

I have realized, that the school has closed the Agricultural Bank account and opened a new one with another Bank.

As the TV rules specify:

22) Members are forbidden to ask for or accept donations, gifts or commissions from other members.

I am unable to provide you with the new details.

I would, suggest, if you don't speak Thai, to ask your wife or g/f to ring the school and obtain the new details, as I have done.

The telephone number is 087-204-4727 as in the OP.

Regards

Costas

• Like 2