10-year-old Thai boy sole provider for bedridden parents

webfact

Just been going through this dilemma with the wife...

She looked at photo, and says....Thats not the mother in her eyes....it's the Grandmother.

Up to you Costas....see what you can find out please.

Yes, Genuine it has to be....thats for sure.

Think about it....1200 posts nearly in only a bit over 3 hours, and if everyone of those who read the topic gave just 1 dollar US, that kid would have enough to kick off with....36,000baht....

But he and the money would need to be protected, from the other Brother and sister coming home for a share....thumbsup.gif

weegee my pal i agree with you again,

if there is money coming in you can garantee the brother and sister would suddenly want to be the carer,,

I will admit, I am much more cynical about this than most posters on this thread. Do you really expect a 10 year old to be able to manage any serious amounts of money? Are not the older children (about which nothing is said, how many, what ages) sending money at least ? The 10 year old child, will probably have no idea how to manage any amount of money, as many adults here also do not know how to do. I guess getting a monthly stipend from "someone" would be best but not a one time payout. And regardless, can he/does he know what best to do with ANY amount of money? Would he think a wheelchair is best, or an ipad? And I am not trying to be rude by saying that. Would other people scam him out of the money ...like charge him 5 times the price for a wheelchair if he even would decide that it would be good to buy?

Seriously, if this child has no person taking care of him, that is the ONE thing he could really need! A person with the whole family's best interest at heart, and then if they are given extra money, someone to take care of that also and make the decisions. Just sending some money, should not be the end all, and really will most likely do nothing to improve their overall lives. Somehow that money will end up "not in the right place."

He needs a sort of guardian, and if any farangs are living in that area, and can manage that, are willing to do that, then that would be the best place to start ...then worry about what money is needed. I have also seen where people in situations like this write to the King, or the Royal family, or something like that, and often end up with a monthly budget sent to them, by those so very generous "parents" of Thai people. Maybe they just need someone Thai to get organized and do that on his behalf.

And lastly, I would be worried that sending money through some other Thai person, such as a teacher, will incur a commission issue, which a person here might feel very entitled to take. At worst, all of the money could not end up with the family at all.

I sort of wonder, why this is in the English press at all? Are there not Thai people who care about other Thai people? Is it in the Thai press? What about the monks in his area, they don't care about this? They can't drop off food every day from their takings, and maybe a bit of cash, or an adult to help support the child in his day to day life?

Amy...please go back over the previous threads.....you are saying the same as most posting here..

Of course the money has to be controlled.

Reading the story gets the best intentions out of people, esp if a little kid is connected with it. Then others start to think about the credibility of the story. Like Amykat and Pigeonjake. Amykat's questions are valid, am sorry to write. I thought when started to read her comment....oh oh there 1 goes again but they are correct 1s.

Although on a totally different scale it has some similarities to another topic of Bowerboy, which is still running on this forum.

Its a pity though that doubts need to occur wether the story is true or not. Thats todays world unfortunately.

Trust is in the eye of the beholder....and its very good to read, at least, that there are caring people on this forum who respond with their heart.

My compliments for that.

just think geaorge,

if all us old boy get together buy a wheelchair, give a alowence every month through thai visa,

just think of the publicity you would get for thai visa and your sponsers, get onto them to get there hand in there pockets.

jake

• Like 1

this boy since the age of 3 as the other poster says has been doing this,?

no other family what so ever?

ill put in but i want confermation this is going on,

look at it this way, if you took the boy out of the picture and put an 18yr old girl there,,

90% would be shouting SCAM

dont want to p! s s on anyones rainbow, you know im not a thai basher,, but this is thailand

Your comments are reasonable and perfectly in order.

Before sending any money I would want to know the exact circumstances involved, who holds and controls the money once it`s donated and how the money is distributed to the boy and how it will be used to help support that family.

The odds are that this story is genuine, but nevertheless it is common sense to want to know the full facts without having any doubts before parting with money, because there are many scams out there.

• Like 1

Isn't it possible possible to open a sort of 'Trust' ? Where the money would be safe and no one could take out, but a monthly payment done? What ever new money is coming in, it has to go to the 'Trust' and stay there.

Thai welfare is very basic,but there is welfare. I believe 4 wheelchairs maximum,anyway that is what I am led to believe. I have had the said wheelchairs repaired a few times over for a young member of family injured and brain damaged in accident

Having read the thread,i think it must be some sort of fund,that cut's out the middlemen,the teacher? okay the teacher might be a real nice person ,or might not and is thinking how much they can make,TIT,remember,also as another poster said,once the other family members,who unusually for a thai family don't seem to care,which makes me think they are not such good people,get wind of it,who's to say that they don't swoop down and just hang around wrestling every bit of money this poor lad gets,if this is to work,it needs a very clear and transparent structure.before we all throw money at the boy,and i am in favour of helping,but unless it is properly thought out,we maybe bunging money to the very wolves that have landed this lad in the situation in the first place.

• Like 1

Think about it....1200 posts nearly in only a bit over 3 hours, and if everyone of those who read the topic gave just 1 dollar US, that kid would have enough to kick off with....36,000baht....

But he and the money would need to be protected, from the other Brother and sister coming home for a share....thumbsup.gif

if there is money coming in you can garantee the brother and sister would suddenly want to be the carer,,

I will admit, I am much more cynical about this than most posters on this thread. Do you really expect a 10 year old to be able to manage any serious amounts of money? Are not the older children (about which nothing is said, how many, what ages) sending money at least ? The 10 year old child, will probably have no idea how to manage any amount of money, as many adults here also do not know how to do. I guess getting a monthly stipend from "someone" would be best but not a one time payout. And regardless, can he/does he know what best to do with ANY amount of money? Would he think a wheelchair is best, or an ipad? And I am not trying to be rude by saying that. Would other people scam him out of the money ...like charge him 5 times the price for a wheelchair if he even would decide that it would be good to buy?

Seriously, if this child has no person taking care of him, that is the ONE thing he could really need! A person with the whole family's best interest at heart, and then if they are given extra money, someone to take care of that also and make the decisions. Just sending some money, should not be the end all, and really will most likely do nothing to improve their overall lives. Somehow that money will end up "not in the right place."

He needs a sort of guardian, and if any farangs are living in that area, and can manage that, are willing to do that, then that would be the best place to start ...then worry about what money is needed. I have also seen where people in situations like this write to the King, or the Royal family, or something like that, and often end up with a monthly budget sent to them, by those so very generous "parents" of Thai people. Maybe they just need someone Thai to get organized and do that on his behalf.

And lastly, I would be worried that sending money through some other Thai person, such as a teacher, will incur a commission issue, which a person here might feel very entitled to take. At worst, all of the money could not end up with the family at all.

I sort of wonder, why this is in the English press at all? Are there not Thai people who care about other Thai people? Is it in the Thai press? What about the monks in his area, they don't care about this? They can't drop off food every day from their takings, and maybe a bit of cash, or an adult to help support the child in his day to day life?

From what I read, the School and the Bank are managing the money.

Let's not be hasty and come to conclusions.

My wife is a nurse for the past 20 years and has a lot of experience in these situations.

She will get in contact with them tomorrow morning and I will let you know the outcome.

Then it's up to you to decide if and how much to donate.

Writing to the authorities will get you nowhere.

As about the English press, it was first published in Thai in Khaosod.

That's where I got the account number.

you said in other posts that you were calling tomorrow to find out the situation. now you are saying your "wife" will be making contact. which one is it?

Amy...please go back over the previous threads.....you are saying the same as most posting here..

Of course the money has to be controlled.

thai family so money wil be controlled by thais. No offense to the boy but you all believe in teeth fairies too? I just have a hard time believing the family will benefit from whatever is raised.

You really think donating will do any good? Legit charities have a hard time controlling money. The kid needs hands on help- not money.

Lady does look more like a grandmother.

Edited by choochoo

"Geng’s 52-year-old mother was paralyzed from the waist-down after a car accident in 2007,"

Medicos here, how long does it take for the legs to atrophy? From the photo, do her legs look dis-used for 7 years?

Looks like grandmother, perhaps. But what would you look like after those years of multi-level stress? Just sayin'.

this boy since the age of 3 as the other poster says has been doing this,?

no other family what so ever?

ill put in but i want confermation this is going on,

look at it this way, if you took the boy out of the picture and put an 18yr old girl there,,

90% would be shouting SCAM

dont want to p! s s on anyones rainbow, you know im not a thai basher,, but this is thailand

I understand what you are saying and there has been all sorts of scams around the place, however if someone can confirm this case is genuine, then it would be nice to help a little, wouldn't you say.

if you read my post i said i was in but i wanted confirmation it was reel

I hear you. Somehow for me this doesn't pass the smell test.

If someone on the ground nearby will verify it, I'm in. Otherwise...

• Like 1

If things can be confirmed, you can also count me in for 5000 towards a wheelchair or an education fund with TV administering. The boy he needs to be commended if this is all verifiable.

Edited by quadman

I don't know how to embed a video, so I attached the link for you to watch on Youtube, about the parents and the boy.

Your link doesn't seem to be working, can you please put that link up again. And maybe this time testing out to see if it works.

I'm very interested see the video!!

I will certainly contribute once things are confirmed to be legit. Not so sure I would be sending funds to an unknown thai bank account but if something is set up by one of the TV admin just let me know and I'll contribute towards wheelchair, food, school supplies etc.

• Like 1

I told my wife about this yesterday and 2 min. ago she came and told me she just saw about it in the thai news...so it IS for real

She said that some have send money and the boy had got some clothes and other stuff - the brother and sister is poor and work hard to earn just for their own living.

So it is not a scam!

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

But he and the money would need to be protected, from the other Brother and sister coming home for a share....thumbsup.gif.pagespeed.ce.dtxKiAJ9C7.gif alt=thumbsup.gif width=25 height=19>

Jake, couldn't agree more. As with most other posters, the story has touched me and, taking away any sensationalism created by the source, I can believe the circumstances.

However, as stupid as this may sound, support through cash donations alone can possibly create more problems than it solves unless it is strongly controlled. Donations in the form of material aids would be the better way to go where temptation is removed. A horrible thing to say I know, but this is reality.

As an aside to the above, I wonder what the anti child labour people think of this? I know there are exceptions but this is certainly not an isolated story and the fact that children are being put to work, even to support their family, would go against their morals.

Life can be such a bitch at times, nothing is clear cut