10-year-old Thai boy sole provider for bedridden parents

webfact

Costas, catch up anytime I am up in KK mate.

No need to donate any for me, but feel free to donate a little extra, it will feel good.

Sadly this little guys story is not the only in Thailand. Wouldn't it be great to help them all!

We would adopt 2 kids if it didn't cost 50 grand for each child, we simply don't have that much.

Anyhow, Thai visa has allowed this thread to continue against forum rules out of the goodness of their hearts, I hope anyway.

I don't live there, but if someone nearby can visit this family and report with some pics, that would be really nice.

Edited by krisb
  • Like 1

"For the family's sake I hope a bunch of do-gooders don't descend on them turning the situation into a 3-ring circus. Let the local community have some peace and let the family continue their lives with some dignity."

Like I said, hire a helper for a couple hundred a day. That persons family will benefit as well. Later, a tutor maybe.

He is a wonderful, inspiring young man by any standard and of course he is doing what he must by Thai standards.

Many have opined the error in a huge cash influx but the snowball is rolling and gaining speed. There was even one guy who suggested (I paraphrase) "only give the cash directly to the young man". We're talking about someone who's never seen more than a couple hundred baht at one go; how can you hand him a thousand? Nike shoes and a Prada bag for mum?

Just some help at home so he can go to school with no worries and come home and have time to study. I'm very happy to see all the concern but I am trying to urge restraint.

'nuff said

~

I live in Chiang Mai and could drive down if I had an address and someone who can speak Thai. If anybody from from my area would like to go PM me and we can drive down and back in one day, or spend the night if need be.

Go for it Billy Bob....wish i was close enough to go with you....and i would.

Happy to make a contribution whilst pointing out that Thai governments of every hue have failed in their collective responsibility to provide funds and support for the many families that face similar obstacles. In fact, I seem to recall Chalerm's comment, following proposals to introduce certain welfare benefits to Thailand, to the effect that Thais didn't need welfare benefits.

Yes but look at our lovely shiny new train!!

I'm left in tears.

How hard life can be......how strong this little boy is.

I will definitely ask the wife to ring the number provided.

Others, please, help, also.

Maybe you could post the bank details here, after making the call.

Wife tried to ring many times but there is no answer.

She got the Bank details from Khaosod thai side.

As follows

Agricultural Bank ( in Thai) ธนาคารเพื่อการเกษตรและสหกรณ์

Account no.020036549718

Accont name (sorry in Thai)

กองทุนเพื่อช่วยเหลือครอบครัว เด็กชาย ชนาธิป สร้อยพราย

Before I send any money, I want to get in contact with them

Probably tomorrow morning.

Regards

Costas

OK Costas, I knew well you are a good guy.

Pls if you contacted with them, and it's OK take here a feedback, and we can (MUST) help to this youg brave heart boy.

If you have province, city or village pls let me know, I will visit this family, and help what I can.

They have to see falangs are here also not heartless.

I just thought my 10 years old nephew, who is lazy, pampered and useless as he can.

• Like 1

"For the family's sake I hope a bunch of do-gooders don't descend on them turning the situation into a 3-ring circus. Let the local community have some peace and let the family continue their lives with some dignity."

Like I said, hire a helper for a couple hundred a day. That persons family will benefit as well. Later, a tutor maybe.

He is a wonderful, inspiring young man by any standard and of course he is doing what he must by Thai standards.

Many have opined the error in a huge cash influx but the snowball is rolling and gaining speed. There was even one guy who suggested (I paraphrase) "only give the cash directly to the young man". We're talking about someone who's never seen more than a couple hundred baht at one go; how can you hand him a thousand? Nike shoes and a Prada bag for mum?

Just some help at home so he can go to school with no worries and come home and have time to study. I'm very happy to see all the concern but I am trying to urge restraint.

'nuff said

~

Let me get this right.

You are worried and advocating for people NOT to help because the boy and his family MIGHT be able to have a better life?

Perhaps a better room with more disabled facilities? someone to look after the parents and for f..ck sake after the boy who is only 10 years old.

Money for his future? perhaps a college? Money for better medical care for the parents? better medication is needed?

Please nuff said and try not to say anymorebah.gif

A notice to members willing to make a donation.

I have realized, that the school has closed the Agricultural Bank account and opened a new one with another Bank.

As the TV rules specify:

22) Members are forbidden to ask for or accept donations, gifts or commissions from other members.

I am unable to provide you with the new details.

I would, suggest, if you don't speak Thai, to ask your wife or g/f to ring the school and obtain the new details, as I have done.

The telephone number is 087-204-4727 as in the OP.

Regards

Costas

Thanks for the update, will contact them tomorrow,

I am in for ongoing monthly donations(will ask them to set up college fund for the kid and keep my donations for that)

• Like 1

I would provide 10,000 baht if I was 100% sure it would go to the boy and his family.

If Thaivisa can take responsibility for collecting and ensuring that it would go to the family, I would have no hesitation.

Great kid.

Same here. As long as it is through ThaiVisa.

this is turning into a disaster and money hasnt even changed hands yet.............................lol. If you need to do something- donate to the thai red cross. It really will help. Not some cockamamie scheme like having thaivisa collect $ and then distribute it. Or setting up a TRUST. Come on guys! get real!

No offense to the family.

Ps if thaivisa got bonded and licensed and certified by WHO i would be the 1st to send in 10,000 bahts.......lol.

Edited by choochoo
  • Like 2

this is turning into a disaster and money hasnt even changed hands yet.............................lol. If you need to do something- donate to the thai red cross. It really will help. Not some cockamamie scheme like having thaivisa collect $ and then distribute it. Or setting up a TRUST. Come on guys! get real!

No offense to the family.

Ps if thaivisa got bonded and licensed and certified by WHO i would be the 1st to send in 10,000 bahts.......lol.

That's all I am trying to say choochoo. I am not discouraging anyone from donating.

The guys who want someone to go to the house and take pictures fer God's sake! Must you add total humiliation to the list of this families suffering?

'nuff said

~

• Like 1

While this is an extreme case, this is not so uncommon in Thailand as we would like to think.

I came across several cases in the Phitsanulok area when I was running a scholarship scheme there. Very often, even the teachers did not find out until the situation had been going on for some time.

Just one case.... a boy in M.6 who was working in the evenings to provide for himself and his insane uncle. The boy managed to get a university place notwithstanding. He never told his teachers (face, I suppose).

Another... a boy who worked all hours and all trades to pay for his father's dialysis treatment (this was before the 30 baht scheme). His home was empty; everything had been sold to pay for the treatment.

There are many fine people, just ordinary people, in this country where we have made our homes, and it sickens me to see the scumbags who never have anything good to say for things Thai.

At the moment I send money to six families to help with school fees for 8 children. None of them are as hard up and this little fella, but I do encourage each and everyone to look for your own cases local or within your networks to help out a little. Personally I checked that alcohol and drug abuse was not involved in each case and that my money goes direct to education.

• Like 1

A notice to members willing to make a donation.

I have realized, that the school has closed the Agricultural Bank account and opened a new one with another Bank.

As the TV rules specify:

22) Members are forbidden to ask for or accept donations, gifts or commissions from other members.

I am unable to provide you with the new details.

I would, suggest, if you don't speak Thai, to ask your wife or g/f to ring the school and obtain the new details, as I have done.

The telephone number is 087-204-4727 as in the OP.

Regards

Costas

Thank you Costas! It seems you have done all you can do. Now it is up to the rest of us to follow through.

• Like 1

[tha e name=Seastallion" post="7928071" timestamp="1401876764]

I think the biggest gift we could give the family is a wheelchair for the mum. This would make her mobile and able to do things rather than just lie in bed. Perhaps a wheelchair cum commode so she is independent of her sons administrations,.

A wheelchair and ramp access would be ideal, I will contribute for any cause as worrhwhile as this one

If I was in the area I would construct the ramp and safety rail etc at my own expense and labour etc

A truely tragic story

• Like 1

I'm left in tears.

How hard life can be......how strong this little boy is.

I will definitely ask the wife to ring the number provided.

Others, please, help, also.

We are asked to help agencies like freedom from hunger and so forth.

Any of us here can do small things for people we meet.

I saw a man collecting cans for money to buy a prosthetic leg. I also saw HIV orphans with NOTHING.

I did a bit to help. I feel better and so do they.

This gesture helps and we all can, even if buying a meal a day for some lonely unfortunate

Update on this topic.....well here on Koh Samui I helped raise 5,000 baht at a party where I played music....Pep's gave. There was about 30 Pep's so not bad. A Thai friend called the teacher and asked for the info to deposit into his account. Did so on Monday....That's how you do it, just do it....do something.

Oh.... by the way the teacher told my friend that over 1,000,000 baht has been raised so far.!!!!

Be really interesting to follow up this story a year from now.

• Like 1

Sound good. It would also be great to see whats done with the money. Maybe a photographer can do some secret shots tomorrow to see how life has improved for the familee.

It doesnt take a year to spend money......it should have been yesterday.

Edited by choochoo

• 6 months later...