Crackdown on illegal beauty clinics in Thailand

webfact

Public Health Ministry to crackdown on illegal beauty clinics nationwide

BANGKOK, 4 June 2014 (NNT) - The Ministry of Public Health has assigned all of its branches across Thailand to shut down illegal beauty clinics and has cautioned the public not to be easily misled by the media.

Dr. Narong Sahamethapat, the Permanent-Secretary for Public Health, has ordered related agencies to eradicate illegal beauty clinics that have used the social media to advertise their services online. Should these clinics be found guilty, then they would be prosecuted by the court of law.

The Permanent-Secretary also assigned the ministry’s branches to diffuse information to the public regarding these clinics. He has told the people not to be easily fooled by media propaganda, as they place their lives at risk.

Dr. Narong advised people to check whether the clinics have a valid license for operating a hospital, as these licenses are normally laminated and attached on the wall in front of the clinic's examination room.

People are encouraged to call the hotline 02-193-7999 around the clock, if there is anything suspicious.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2014-06-04 footer_n.gif

• Like 1

Thailand's going to hell in a basket and the nation is worried about this ...

Sometimes you really couldn't make this stuff up.

how you know it's a basket and not a plastic bucket? there have been persistent rumours that it may if fact even be a metal bucket but it this age of composites it's not a gimme

Edited by 4dyg

Stupid comment.. actually we start to see the various government agencies start to do their jobs after having received some a** kicks by the generals.. and the health ministry's job IS to crack down on illegal "clinics", now that they were forced to stop taking bribes for their closed eyes..

Sent from my HTC One XL using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

A*** kicking???...or a***licking.........I harldy see the generals having great concern over some stupid illegal beauty salons........

Stupid comment.. actually we start to see the various government agencies start to do their jobs after having received some a** kicks by the generals.. and the health ministry's job IS to crack down on illegal "clinics", now that they were forced to stop taking bribes for their closed eyes..

A*** kicking???...or a***licking.........I harldy see the generals having great concern over some stupid illegal beauty salons........

You may well be very surprised - maybe that is why they appointed people to do some of the necessary groundwork for them.

• Like 1

You may well be very surprised - maybe that is why they appointed people to do some of the necessary groundwork for them.

Agree with you. I guess it must be pretty frightening for some of the top notch government officials and police officers to realize that they will be made accountable for their (in)actions, that they might face review of and questions about their financial (wealth) situation and might have to explain few things to the NACC (National Anti-Corruption Commission)

Generals: Please continue kicking a****

• Like 2

Wait till they start clamping down on all the bars and clubs who don't have licences either wink.png

Or fire inspection and safety equipment and well marked exits. Yes, bring it on. Lives may be saved.

Indeed, I was in Patong at the time when the nightclub went up in flames that was blamed on "lightening"

btw... of course, some of you are aware that their is a huge medical tourism industry in Thailand, loads of people from all over come to Thailand for various (beauty and other) surgeries... so this move will in mid- to long-term raise the confidence of the medical tourists and might boost this industry, since the medical tourist will find out that the remaining clinics are at least operating within the laws..

• Like 1

my license to breathe has been canceled so i am going underground.

something positive at last-take your thai rouge mates with you. Lets play who can hold their breath the longest. The bluest one wins!!!!

You are reading news reports that are being 'filtered' by the government. No more stories about the Myanmar refugees being 'shuttled' around, no more stories about 30 navy personnel assaulting a cell phone vendor at a police station, then escaping, no more stories about the 'opposition' being found guilty of one single thing.

You are buying what they're selling because it suits you.

tongue.png

my license to breathe has been canceled so i am going underground.

something positive at last-take your thai rouge mates with you. Lets play who can hold their breath the longest. The bluest one wins!!!!

Wah!

That's not a post. It's a whinging, slovenly, self-effacing attempt at being a magnet link for reactionaries....

I hear a wah-mbulance....... wah-ah...wah-ah...wah-ah...

tongue.png

Wait till they start clamping down on all the bars and clubs who don't have licences either wink.png

Why wait.... and you should write "that" do not have licenses. Without the "either" also..and from a Scotsman too....clap2.gif ..

• Like 1

You are reading news reports that are being 'filtered' by the government. No more stories about the Myanmar refugees being 'shuttled' around, no more stories about 30 navy personnel assaulting a cell phone vendor at a police station, then escaping, no more stories about the 'opposition' being found guilty of one single thing.

tongue.png

There is no government! tongue.png

First of all, I wouldn't carry water for these coup people if they were on fire. But it is actually, really stupid to suggest that every resource of the country has to go into coup mode and that not a shred of public life and lawn forcement can co-exist. The semi-annual crackdown on illegal beauty salons has nothing to do with the junta jeadquarters anyway, it is strictly low-level police work. The generals didn't ask for credit when it started and they sure as heck won't be accepting the blame when all goes back to normal in a couple of weeks.

Mr Snig, please get a grip. "The nation" is not concerned with this. It is one of more than 100 stories by this particular news agency today. It is worth a few paragraphs, as your own intense interest proves. What's that? Oh yes you ARE, or you wouldn't have stopped your life and commented.

Second, yes indeed, it is extremely wise to be wary of "news" these days, not least of all at Thailand's leading discriminator of alleged "information" and comment-stopping. But the fact that some stories are played down or short-stopped, is not relevant to the fact that a crackdown on illegal beauty salons is under way. This story would have got printed and would have attracted comments from the ThaiVisa Official Law Enforcement Commission no matter coup or no coup, idiotic censorship or self-censorship or no censorship at all.

And FangFarang - no, unfortunately reports are NOT filtered by the government. "Unfortunately" because timid, fear-induced self-censorship is far worse than censorship imposed at direct gunpoint. Self-censors, as we see several times a day, eh? It goes much further than the government (the army, actually) would actually go if pressed on the matter.

Edited by wandasloan

Some of these places are dangerous, dirty and no medical certifications. Good on the police military.

Any pictures? I doubt that. I think you know about nothing about salons, and doubt you've been in one.

Why would a paying customer go to a dirty salon with no certificates? Also. Why would a salon not wash the floor and hang up some paperwork? I'm positive your post is plagiarised from the Official ThaiVisa Committee On Identifying Criminals By Their Appearance.

I'll not even give you "dangerous". Some "illegal" salons are more meticulous and safer than some legal ones. But I can assure you that inspectors can't spot an illegal one by all the dirt and lack of framed paperwork on the walls. They have to, well, inspect, and very closely at that.

Also, the military isn't responsible for this. You will know this in about, oh, three or four weeks when you follow up the campaign to see how successful it has been, and every military office where you inquire will say something like, "Oh, that failed operation? That was a civil service thing, nothing to do with us." And in this particular case, they will be right. This is another regular campaign, approximately semi-annual. It looks ever so good on the personnel evaluations.

I believe these are medical type clinics as opposed to the beauty/hair cutting salons.....probably not a bad thing safety wise......

Yes - I believe there are some officials that might be pretty worried now about their previous oversights and ventures for personal gain.....good...

• Like 1

First of all, I wouldn't carry water for these coup people if they were on fire. But it is actually, really stupid to suggest that every resource of the country has to go into coup mode and that not a shred of public life and lawn forcement can co-exist. The semi-annual crackdown on illegal beauty salons has nothing to do with the junta jeadquarters anyway, it is strictly low-level police work. The generals didn't ask for credit when it started and they sure as heck won't be accepting the blame when all goes back to normal in a couple of weeks.

Mr Snig, please get a grip. "The nation" is not concerned with this. It is one of more than 100 stories by this particular news agency today. It is worth a few paragraphs, as your own intense interest proves. What's that? Oh yes you ARE, or you wouldn't have stopped your life and commented.

Second, yes indeed, it is extremely wise to be wary of "news" these days, not least of all at Thailand's leading discriminator of alleged "information" and comment-stopping. But the fact that some stories are played down or short-stopped, is not relevant to the fact that a crackdown on illegal beauty salons is under way. This story would have got printed and would have attracted comments from the ThaiVisa Official Law Enforcement Commission no matter coup or no coup, idiotic censorship or self-censorship or no censorship at all.

And FangFarang - no, unfortunately reports are NOT filtered by the government. "Unfortunately" because timid, fear-induced self-censorship is far worse than censorship imposed at direct gunpoint. Self-censors, as we see several times a day, eh? It goes much further than the government (the army, actually) would actually go if pressed on the matter.

It's not about illegal "beauty salons." Beauty SALONS." These do not need a license to run a hospital. It is about illegal "beauty CLINICS." These sometimes perform cosmetic surgery. The best way to be aware of the news is to actually read it.

It's not about illegal "beauty salons." Beauty SALONS." These do not need a license to run a hospital. It is about illegal "beauty CLINICS." These sometimes perform cosmetic surgery. The best way to be aware of the news is to actually read it.

Quite right and I should have written that. However, everything else applies. The CLINICS are not dirty, do not lack framed paperwork and range, just like legal clinics, from excellent to incredibly dangerous.

Just as I wrote, the notion you can look at one and tell the difference between a safe, useful CLINIC and one that is not, is ludicrous. The reason there are crackdowns is exactly to try to allow the close and serious inspection necessary. UNfortunately, those without the proper papers, and those without enough money, will be closed and all others will stay open, so the actual result of a crackdown is either nothing or worse than nothing.

Either way, don't blame the military.

As Thailand gradually becomes more of a Developed Country... these kind of processes and actions are inevitable.

If this is true, then Thailand has been a Developed Country since about 1960, when this sort of crackdown became popular.

Edited by wandasloan

Seems to make sense. There are lots of unqualified charlatans performing medical procedures in "beauty clinics" who rely on paying off the BiB and health officials, none of whom could care less what damage is done to the health of naive customers by these criminals. Time to lock them up along with the bent cops and health officials who profited from the charlatan businesses.