Trust me on this one forum please :-)

N47HAN

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do you really think they would facilitate traveling by reducing the fuel prices hence making it easier to come to Bangkok to start new protests?

If they wanted to gain popularity they would reduce the price of cooking gas rather than fuels for cars.

Just another hoax!

Rice farmers paid, free public concerts at the Freedom memorial, kids cartoons back on TV - and now the prospect of gasoline prices being slashed.

Headline: How I stopped worrying and learned to love the coup.

Edited by Krataiboy

My bad guys ,

This was on the cards and blocked by ptt , probably better for LIK to close the thread or im in for a rough ride .

Apolagies again chaps. :-(

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

My bad guys ,

This was on the cards and blocked by ptt , probably better for LIK to close the thread or im in for a rough ride .

Just to be clear, when some random person makes up a false rumour, it does not mean "it was on the cards". It means nothing whatsoever.

Think about it, just for 10 seconds, who would pay for it? The PTP would not be able to afford it, and the shareholders would most likely sue. The government could pay for it, but who pays for the government? Oh that is right, the tax payers, and who are they? Ahh yes, all of us.

Learn from the rice scam and leave the market alone.

Nobody got hurt and I think very few took the topic too seriously. It was kind of fun.

You might get an temporary downgrade on your TV street credibility, Sledge, but it will go away in just a months or years. :)

My bad guys ,

Just to be clear, when some random person makes up a false rumour, it does not mean "it was on the cards". It means nothing whatsoever.

Think about it, just for 10 seconds, who would pay for it? The PTP would not be able to afford it, and the shareholders would most likely sue. The government could pay for it, but who pays for the government? Oh that is right, the tax payers, and who are they? Ahh yes, all of us.

I'm not sure you fully understand the current diesel/LPG subsidy picture, the notion that prices might have been cut further was entirely dooable:

http://www.platts.com/latest-news/oil/bangkok/thailands-oil-fund-administrator-says-lpg-diesel-27779021

My bad guys ,

If some random person counts as a ptt board member then so be it.

But yes i jumped the gun , ran around on fumes yday :-)

Such a heavy subsidy would empty the state coffers. It is about as probable as me becoming the next president of Indonesia, because they are so nostalgic about Dutch colonial rule.

Considered asking Thai people about this rumor, but refrained from it. Inquiring about a rumor, you make it stronger, and it affects your credibility because you get a bit of a reputation as a rumor monger yourself.

• Like 1

Such a heavy subsidy would empty the state coffers. It is about as probable as me becoming the next president of Indonesia, because they are so nostalgic about Dutch colonial rule.

Considered asking Thai people about this rumor, but refrained from it. Inquiring about a rumor, you make it stronger, and it affects your credibility because you get a bit of a reputation as a rumor monger yourself.

"Subsidies are costing the country Baht 165 million/day ($5 million/day) at current levels, according to the EFAI. The subsidies keep diesel pump prices under Baht 30/liter, well below international prices, and LPG at staggered rates that are as low as one-third of international prices".

Bad rumour monger BBC, bad.laugh.png

I gave up filling the tank some time ago, now just enough to get where I want to go and back. When I filled it, the wife took off with the 'family taxi' and 'ambulance' for her cuckoo in la cabeza mother and it came back empty. When I gave her 1,000 baht for diesel she put 500, kept the rest. Had enough of words over "my truck is NOT a ***** (several 4 letter expletives) taxi for your ****** (more 4 letter expletives) family " (like talking to the wall). Now no diesel except for where I want to go. I will still be happy if the price goes down.

My bad guys ,

I'm not sure you fully understand the current diesel/LPG subsidy picture, the notion that prices might have been cut further was entirely dooable:

http://www.platts.com/latest-news/oil/bangkok/thailands-oil-fund-administrator-says-lpg-diesel-27779021

As a shareholder I understand them quite well, and agree with your link, that the subsidies should be scrapped. Ie. remove the tax/levi on gasoline, and in turn float the price of diesel and LPG.

However, subsidising a 9-10 baht drop on both diesel and gasoline as the OP mentioned, would be impossible, as it would simply not be possible to fund it, even if someone wanted to. The 9-10 baht drop on gasoline would remove all income from the fuel subsidy fund, and at the same time dropping the price of diesel by 9-10 baht would greatly increase the expenses of the fund, which means it would almost instantly go broke, leaving noone but the PTT to fund it. However, the PTT is already funding fuel to the tune of 20 billion/year, and would simply not be able to fund such a big drop in prices, even if it was forced to do so by it's main shareholder, the finance ministry.

• Like 1

I gave up filling the tank some time ago, now just enough to get where I want to go and back. When I filled it, the wife took off with the 'family taxi' and 'ambulance' for her cuckoo in la cabeza mother and it came back empty. When I gave her 1,000 baht for diesel she put 500, kept the rest. Had enough of words over "my truck is NOT a ***** (several 4 letter expletives) taxi for your ****** (more 4 letter expletives) family " (like talking to the wall). Now no diesel except for where I want to go. I will still be happy if the price goes down.

Get a divorce.

As it is the gasoline, diesel and gas subsidies was more than the cost of the rice scheme. If you say the prices would come down with B10/ l it would break the bank. The junta said they would keep the subsidy inplace but not increase it 10 fold. If diesel however comes down with 33% I think its time for a road trip, a long one.

Get a divorce.

Or a motorbike !

And try to smile :)

• Like 1

Get a divorce.

He can't. He used his life savings to buy a house here and put it in her name. biggrin.png

Just the price of the crude oil in a liter of gasoline costs 20 baht/liter wholesale.

The countries that sell really cheap gasoline to their population are big oil exporters (Saudi etc), while Thailand is a net importer of oil.

Diesel is subsidized, I believe the theory is that it may be subsidized even further.

I thought the low price of diesel was a result of it not being taxed - as is gasoline. Not a subsidy per se, although obviously has the same effect.

2005 Oil price was $50/ BARREL

Now oil price roughly $100/ Barrel

2005 gas station for 91 gas was 22 baht

Now for 91 gasohol 40 baht (i think, as I switched to a diesel car....)

Current price makes as much sense as back in 2005. Oil price doubled, gas price almost doubled.