Do You Drink Too Much?

tuky

How much do you drink per week?  

218 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Fair enough. Are you interested in joining us, here virtually, at the date we set on this forum? I have a feeling it would be good to have an experienced wagoneer on the trail with us. At the moment there are only about 5 or 6 of us, all long term thai related boozers. I am from Guatemala these days, but we are all here on tv.com. ??

As you wish any which way. you´re contributions would be extremely welcome, I feel, and maybe we in turn will have somehting to contribute to you.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kayo,

I haven't done things that stupid in many a year. I can relate though. Amazing how charming we can be with a little alcohol.

Last night I went by my local place for two beers, as I needed to go home and pack for moving to my new appartment today. Needless to say I got home 6 hours later, and no packing was done. It's all somewhat a blur, but I don't think I made too big of an arse out of myself.

I'll be thinking of you guys tonight, and wish you the best.

SoCal

Fair enough. Are you interested in joining us, here virtually, at the date we set on this forum? I have a feeling it would be good to have an experienced wagoneer on the trail with us. At the moment there are only about 5 or 6 of us, all long term thai related boozers. I am from Guatemala these days, but we are all here on tv.com. ??

As you wish any which way. you´re contributions would be extremely welcome, I feel, and maybe we in turn will have somehting to contribute to you.

If I could help, I'd be glad to.

Giving up booze is a big lifestyle change. I have kept very few friends from my partying days. You have to be prepared to make a big sacrifice and you can't expect anything necessarily in return. Most people go back boozing because the sober life doesn't live up to the expectations they had. You can't expect anything of sobriety. Your life may get worse, better, more boring, more isolated, become aimless, become happier and contented but if anyone expects anything they're bound to be disappointed.

Giving up booze and intoxicants is a long-term commitment. You have to do it no matter how you feel or whether or not it's living up to what you want it to be. As I said most people go back on it because they get bored, impatient or frustrated with sobriety. You have to make it your priority, make whatever sacrifice is necessary and expect nothing in return. It's a tall order and most people don't manage it.

Having said that if you make a firm, serious and thoughtful desicion, remove all expectations and once a certain amount of time has passed, and routine and familiarity has set in, it becomes easy to stay off and you won't give it a second thought. You have to completely remove the thought of taking alcohol from your head. Personally I wouldn't entertain the thought for a second absolutely ever.

Be very careful who you asscoiate with and, if your serious about it, don't be afraid to sacrifice friends and anyone or anything else who may interfere with your decision.

What you do with your sobriety is up to you but once again, sobriety in itself will not necessarily offer happiness or a better new life. Real and meaningful change is very gradual and takes hard work, as I'm sure you already know.

Lastly statistics prove that those who have given up addictions (booze, cigarettes, etc.) and stayed off, myself included, have attempted to give up repeatedly. Virtually no-one gives up on their first attempt. So if you go back drinking again, give up again as soon as you can and so on and so on. Those who have given up successfully have usually tried to stop many, many times. Perseverance is crucial. Get serious about it if you really want to stop and put everything else second.

Edited by robitusson

robitusson,

Thanks for your advice, it hits home mate.

Lets see how we go over the next few weeks.

I am hoping to get fit, which means getting rid of the drink and the smokes. I am hoping it will be sdomething to keep me motivated.

Best

tuyky

Motivation is uselful tuky but in my opinion it's more about making a decision. Motivation comes and gos. Think very,very carefully if giving up is what you want to do. Motivation will always run thin on occasion. A serious, deep and committed decision is what you need to make before you embark on your abstainance.

Getting fit is an excellent thing to do for your self-respect. As I said already though, don't be dependent on the results to make your astainance worthwhile. Get fit for the sake of getting fit not because you expect anything that will make giving up the booze either.

Obviously all of this is my opinion but it's what works in my experience.

Since my career demands I abstain from all forms of alcohol 6 months of the year, I'd say it's one or two drinks a day on average. Read recently that four cups of coffee the day following a 'bender' will repair damage to the liver.

Bring on the cafe sot! :o

I don't normally drink. But about six months ago, I started drinking the hard (80 proof) stuff, up to 15 drinks per week. I stopped 3 days ago -- almost took a drink though yesterday, when my lawn mower died :D . If I can hold on for a several more days, I think I can break the habbit.

Because it's been about ten days since my last drink, I'm confident now that the habit is broken. I had urges to drink several times since stopping but I just dug deep to find whatever willpower it took not to drink. :o

In retrospect, I didn't do any binge drinking so, although I drank up to 15 shots per week, it never became a real problem...I'm thinking my next drink (or two) may be on new years eve.

I don't normally drink. But about six months ago, I started drinking the hard (80 proof) stuff, up to 15 drinks per week. I stopped 3 days ago -- almost took a drink though yesterday, when my lawn mower died :D . If I can hold on for a several more days, I think I can break the habbit.

Because it's been about ten days since my last drink, I'm confident now that the habit is broken. I had urges to drink several times since stopping but I just dug deep to find whatever willpower it took not to drink. :o

In retrospect, I didn't do any binge drinking so, although I drank up to 15 shots per week, it never became a real problem...I'm thinking my next drink (or two) may be on new years eve.

15 a week (2 a day)....I doubt even the AMA would consider that excessive

Typically 4 pints a night ( 8 std "drinks"), which I consider healthy drinking without intoxication or hangover. I am a large man of a northern european ancestry described by the Roman Pliny as given to drinking large quantities of "mouldy grain." My consumption qualifies as "binge" drinking by the standards that prevail and which are justifiably not taken seriously by many young people of my background. These standards are pseudoscientific in that they attempt to apply universally to cultures and genetic predispositions that differ significantly in their response to alcohol. Traditional and sensible definitions of a drunkard (or alcoholic if you prefer pseudoscientific terms) imply much higher consumption (probably 100 drinks/week), health problems, isolation and, and impaired behavior/performance.

At various times in life I have been either an excessive drinker or complete abstainer, and I don't recommend either as a way of life. However some people seem to be prone to quickly advancing to excessive levels or real binges (drunk for days) and they probably have to stop altogether and find some other way to cope.

I believe that advancing age, good family life and companionship, good physical condition, and a day filled with interesting and responsible activities dilute the force of obsessions and reduce the danger of slipping into excess.

In balance, I believe that alcohol is a great gift to mankind but that it cannot ever be used to solve problems that it creates.

Swelters

Edited by Swelters

• 1 month later...

Well, I've now been on the piss, without sleep, for the last 32 hours. :o

There's more to come too, I can't miss the footy.... :D

Then, I may die a peaceful death, only to role out of bed at 5 in the morning for work............ :D:D

redrus

Depression is a major factor in alcoholism. And soccer is such a boring game that I am shocked that there aren't more people wanting to start the 90 day program with us.

Where is the excitement in a game that the winners only win due to luck? DO not think that you can bluff your way out of the truth...why would anyone want to follow a sport where it can almost be impossible to score a goal? I do not understand it.

And yet, Aussie Rules footy is called Aerial Ping Pong... look at a soccer game? That is pointless. What kind of game calls for people to hit the ball with their HEAD???? That sums it up...I am an Aussie Rules die hard, so please forgive me when I say that soccer is one of the worst games I have ever seen. That is not because of the Italy/Aussie thing, I am gald about that because Aust. should not get involved with soccer, it is a poofters game and the true Aussies are above that.

Bring on ehte 30th, I will get sober. My footy thoughts will not change, I love Aussie rules, but being sober I will hopefully learn to be discrete and not air my displeasure regarding the soccer freaks in an open forum.

Sorry soccer freaks, I am an Aussie rules freak. ANd a drunk.

One-eyed Aussie Rules bastards. Remember that freak Capper with his tight pants and pink boots. Now there was a poofter playing a poofter's game. :D Ever tried watching a game called Rugby League? :D Now there you have a game played by real men. :D

Since my career demands I abstain from all forms of alcohol 6 months of the year, I'd say it's one or two drinks a day on average. Read recently that four cups of coffee the day following a 'bender' will repair damage to the liver.

hi'

coffee is not so good for liver too, green tea yes, but no coffee and surely not the milky one!

francois

hi'

coffee is not so good for liver too, green tea yes, but no coffee and surely not the milky one!

francois

Francois, you're a bit behind the research, mon ami!

coffee