Warning : Codeine DO NOT BRING INTO THAILAND

I suffer from a chronic illness called Hypothyrodia (Under Active Thyroid). It is in the final stages of disintegration and very painful.

I went to my Local NHS GP (Doctor) in the UK and was prescribed Codeine Phosphate for the pain as it was the only pain killer that helped.

I have done some research before my trip to Thailand next on July 20th and it seems Codeine is a controlled substance, bringing it into the country even with a prescription can get you many years in prison.

I am in desperate need of information.

Has anyone brought a legitimate codeine medication into Thailand or am I best just not bringing it at all.

This is a very serious matter, I do not want to spend the next 20 years in a Thai Jail.

Official sources contradict each other.

At the present moment I am saying to myself: Warning : Do not bring Codeine into Thailand. Am i overreacting ???

Edited by homeownership

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mate just get a medical certificate from your gp! It's all the proof you need if you need to travel anywhere. I travelled threw Southeast Asia with a medical condition with lots of different drugs, some of which are not the norm in Thailand and such but as I had a stamped medical certificate detailing my medications and reasons why they were important to my wellbeing there wasn't a problem. Good luck.

• Like 2

I can get a letter from my GP, proving I need the medication, I just didnt want to take the chance.

Even though I have had some really great feedback, I think I will get a Doctor in LOS to prescribe it for me, that way, I can stay out of trouble.

• Like 1

You can bring in most prescription medicines, with a doctors prescription and as long as it is an ammount for not more than 30 days. In addition you need to declare it on arrival at customs, who will allow it or not.

Another way is to (have your doctor) contact a Thai hospital that can decribe the medication for you.

Some more info here:

http://narcotic.fda.moph.go.th/faq/faq.php

sorry I forgot to mention, this is 100% correct! As long as you plan to stay no longer than the 30 day tourist visa allotted you should be fine.
  • Like 2

If it's still the same then it's okay if you are a resident from the uk, I can't say the same for other countries but I'm sure somebody on here will be able to advise different if you are a non uk resident .

I can get a letter from my GP, proving I need the medication, I just didnt want to take the chance.

Even though I have had some really great feedback, I think I will get a Doctor in LOS to prescribe it for me, that way, I can stay out of trouble.

You will have extreme difficulty finding a doctor to prescribe it, I was in excrutiating pain and all I got was Ibuprofen. Friend of mine recently had his foot amputated in Pattaya, as soon as he left the hospital he was also reduced to Ibuprofen.

• Like 2

A letter from the Doctor will probably solve your problems here but remember what can happen if you fly through the middle east letter or no letter.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/425498-ot-woman-jail-dubai-carrying-codeine.html

Does that include Istanbul (Turkish Airlines) ???

Not as far as I know.

As a side note. The pain killer of choice here is Tramadol.

It may be worth having a talk with your doctor if you have to bring a lot of Codeine whether a smaller amount of codeine combined with tramadol can be effective in your condition. Tramadol is available here cheaply ( about 10 baht a tablet). This may enable you to bring less codeine and reduce attention.

• Like 1

Hospitals here can prescribe codeine but are unwilling to do so. If they do it will be a very very low dosage. I think you will have to bring it with you and if you have a genuine medical reason and have a correct doctor's letter (even better with a hospital stamp) should have little trouble although you may be queried. Technically you would need an import permit but if they accept you need it no one will cause a problem.I do not think kere it is likely that you will see jail for that although as codeine can show up I believe in urine tests it may be safest on arival to get a prescription from a hospital doctor here even if it is for a lower amount.

A letter from the Doctor will probably solve your problems here but remember what can happen if you fly through the middle east letter or no letter.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/425498-ot-woman-jail-dubai-carrying-codeine.html

Not as far as I know.

It may be worth having a talk with your doctor if you have to bring a lot of Codeine whether a smaller amount of codeine combined with tramadol can be effective in your condition. Tramadol is available here cheaply ( about 10 baht a tablet). This may enable you to bring less codeine and reduce attention.

Tramadol HCI and ER are over the counter meds here......... come in 50mg 100mg, 200mg and 300mg tables.. depends how long you are here but far cheaper to buy loose in tubs of 500 tablets [about 1 baht each if you buy the full un-opened tub] Pharmacist will also sell by tables @ about 3 baht each.

a while ago Asprin were band here and you could not buy anywhere, now fully restored and on the market again [buy 1,000 pill tub no problems]

Blister packs of anything here = very expensive

Maybe ask your Dr at home if Tramadol 200 mg or 300 mg would do the same ? as no problem to bring them if you get free prescriptions/meds at home

In 23 years of flying in and out of Thailand my bags have never been searched ,just stick em in your bag with the prescription , stay calm ,dont panic.thumbsup.gif

And if you do get searched, or once inside Thailand get a drug search or are asked to piss in a cup you go to jail.

• Like 2

In 23 years of flying in and out of Thailand my bags have never been searched ,just stick em in your bag with the prescription , stay calm ,dont panic.thumbsup.gif

+1

Exactly right. More than 100 trips in and out over thirty three years never had my bags searched.

It can indeed be difficult to get doctors here to prescribe opiates (of which codeine is one). And yes, codeine is a controlled substance here. However it is fine to bring in up to a 30 day supply with you as lon gas you have proof it was rpescribed. Have it in cleartly labelled prewscrioption bottle and have with you a doctor's letter stating the medication was prescribed to you and why. With that, no problem.

I have brought medication with me that was not available here on several trips before moving here(actually has 3 months supply with with me when I moved) without problems. I kept them in my carry on luggage in their original packaging with the dosage set by the doctor, I also had my scripts/medical certs. with them and was never stopped from having them. I was told if they are prescribed medication for you and are a requirement for your health they are fine. If in doubt you can always try to get approval.clarification from thai immigration services, the thai consulate etc.

Not as far as I know.

I would also recommend trying Tramadol. I heard six months ago, pharmacies were trying to regulate the buying of Tramadol. Had lots of fatalaties from kids using it for recreation (1,000mg washed down with caffiene). But now, as is always the case in LOS, things are back to normal and you can buy them like candy here!!!

And if you do get searched, or once inside Thailand get a drug search or are asked to piss in a cup you go to jail.

Rubbish ,if its a prescription drug for your own use ,the worst that will happen is they take it off you .

Edited by i claudius
  • Like 2

No problem, bring it in the original prescription package. If you run out, go to Bangkok Hospital Pattaya and ask to see a GP to get prescription re-filled. I have had no problem getting codeine here.

• Like 1

I not only brought Vicodin for migraines, with me when I came, ( with a prescription ), but regularly get it refilled at the Bangkok Hospital Pattaya without a problem. However, it is not available anywhere else in Thailand that I could find. (price shopping only, not looking for many sources) BHP can be very pricey for drugs, as most are aware. I don't think you will be going to prison.

On a side note, like half the population, I too have been diagnosed as being hypo-thyroid, and take Synthroid daily. Never caused any pain. Interesting.

By the way, not called Vicodin here. It is Para-Co

Rubbish ,if its a prescription drug for your own use ,the worst that will happen is they take it off you .

It is called smugling a class 1 drug, the same category as heroine. That is a very serious matter.

You should not advise people to just take it into Thailand and don't worry about the consequences.