Warning : Codeine DO NOT BRING INTO THAILAND

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dear OP,

Was in a similar situation and brought hundreds of prescribed DHC tablets, same brand you're taking to Thailand.I had a doctor's certificate and I'd assume that wouldn't have been a problem. But:

I had a motorcycle accident here and to make a long story short, still have to take pain killers.After 18 months taking Tramadol it didn't help anymore and an orthopedist prescribed me morphine instead, as they tent to believe that codeine is stronger than morphine.

You won't get anything with codeine prescribed, but they'll give you morphine, if it's proof able that you're suffering of a lot of pain.

Please take a prescription, a doctor's note with you and you won't have a problem. Should you ran out of medicine, then see a doctor at a hospital.

Good luck.-wai2.gif

Edited by sirchai
  • Like 1

It's funny that you say that sirchai! When I tried to get codeine from a different doctor, they suggested morphine once. I told them that it was too strong, and I wouldn't be able to drive my car. They found it strange that I could operate a motor vehicle on Codeine, but I didn't think I should on Morphine! Go figure!

You can bring in most prescription medicines, with a doctors prescription and as long as it is an ammount for not more than 30 days. In addition you need to declare it on arrival at customs, who will allow it or not.

Another way is to (have your doctor) contact a Thai hospital that can decribe the medication for you.

Some more info here:

http://narcotic.fda.moph.go.th/faq/faq.php

sorry I forgot to mention, this is 100% correct! As long as you plan to stay no longer than the 30 day tourist visa allotted you should be fine.

With a note from a doctor you can bring 3 months supply of personal medication such as codine into Thailand

It can indeed be difficult to get doctors here to prescribe opiates (of which codeine is one). And yes, codeine is a controlled substance here. However it is fine to bring in up to a 30 day supply with you as lon gas you have proof it was rpescribed. Have it in cleartly labelled prewscrioption bottle and have with you a doctor's letter stating the medication was prescribed to you and why. With that, no problem.

Thai doctors do prescribe opiates if you have a condition which merits them.

The secret is to go to the Pain Clinic at a major hospital.

Most doctors in most Thai hospitals cannot prescribe opiates. Pain Clinic doctors can.

If you come to Thailand with a diagnosis which prescribes opiate pain relief, simply take it to a pain clinic and ask the Thai doctor to prescribe it for you.

You will need to purchase the medication from the hospital pharmacy, which is more costly than street pharmacies, but there are very few street pharmacies which will sell opiates. Very few.

It is easier to simply get them courtesy of a pain clinic in a major hospital. If you carry opiates on your person, you should ensure that you carry them in the original packaging and that you have a copy of the prescription.

Like any responsible caregivers, Thai doctors will be alert for drug seeking behaviors. If you are legit, you will likely encounter no problem. If you are trying to game the system to get pharmaceutical opioids, they will likely decline to prescribe them for you.

No need to take Ibuprofin.

I hate spam.

• Like 1

I brought my 90 day Prescription's of Vicoden, Naproxen, & Cyclobenzeprin (Flexeril) to a 60 day vacation to Thailand, Hong Kong and Malaysia last year with no Problems. all were in the Prescription Bottles.

• Like 1

thanks people, I have cardiomyopathy. heart disease, and I cough in paroxysms .

To alleviate the coughing on the flight to Bangkok I was going to take some codeine phosphate, and maybe some whisky.

I really can not sit in an aircraft for 9 hours coughing on my neighbor.

I will take the risk, I am a New Zealander and I look pretty straight

Sorry to disagree with the comments about hospital doctors.

Two years ago I suffered a lumbar disc effusion, in Laos.

After my insurance Company had left me lying in agony for 6 weeks I arrived at Bumrungrad

International hospital, Bangkok

They were a complete waste of space, and expensive. My pain was enormous.

I went home and my new Thai wife went down to the Chemist, brought back some medicine Tramidol,

and I felt a little better.

I do not know whether codeine phosphate tablets are available stand alone but Tylenol 3 comes in tablets that contain 30mg of codeine phosphate along with 300mg of Tylenol. It is only distributed at hospital pharmacies with a doctor's prescription. If you go to a hospital clinic you should get the meds with no problem after a short consultation with a doc. Oh BTW oxycodone is not even available in Thailand. :(

The only problem I've had is with a female 'jobsworth' on an outbound flight from Manchester airport who tried to limit the amount of prescription drugs I took on the plane

Eventually a male security officer waved me through. I stay most of the year in Thailand but enjoy free prescriptions in UK so I stock up as much as possible for my trip , this includes Codeine.

I would be amazed if the gentleman worried about his position encountered any problems

Now sex toys are another matter!!

The same as doctors everywhere else - levothyroxine usually. Certainly not a pain killer, there is no pain associated with hypothyroidism.

I have low thyroid. The synthetic thyroid (levothyroxine) that the VA doctor gave me did nothing. When I read Dr. Brownstein's books on Thyroid and Iodine, I switched to Armour Thyroid (actual pig thyroid). It works! But if your thyroid gland is disintegrating, that DOES sounds painful and certainly warrants the meds. Hope you can get that gland removed and end the pain. http://www.drbrownstein.com/Overcoming-Thyroid-Disorders-p/overcomingt.htm

"http://narcotic.fda....4.doc._e1a4.pdf

gives the current facts they have relaxed them a little but this is what applies now.

Note a permit must be applied for and obtained for Codeine.

Importation of Codeine without a permit can attract a life sentence."

The above post is correct, follow the advice on the website.

Personally I apply for the permit IC-1 which can be done via email 2 weeks before travel,

though my first permit was obtained the day before travel.

The narcotic fda have always been easy to contact and helpful 30 days limit on your meds.

I have walked through customs countless times without been checked, been to a nightclub

where a drug test was done, upset the wrong person? Why take the risk for a chance for an extended holiday in Bangkok

Hilton. Its not our country follow the rules and travel safe.

There was a time when Thai VIsa was a reliable source of information about Thailand and what you could and could not do. This especially applied to the health forum.

Reading this topic shows that this is no longer the case. A sad loss. RIP ThaiVisa.

Edited by harrry
  • Like 1

My 75 year old mom was prescribed a codeine combination pain killer medicine at Bangkok International Hospital(Pattaya) during a recent long stay visit to Thailand. Her condition was confirmed with x-ray diagnosis prior to prescription of the pain killers.

I tried to purchase mom some more of the hospital prescribed codeine combination pain killers from decent local pharmacies once the month’s supply run out - all declined to supply, stating that it these type of pain killers are only available from Thai hospitals – she had to return in person to get another month’s supply.

The reason for the difficulty in local purchase is simply this; any drug containing Codeine is a 'Thailand class II controlled narcotic drug' More info here http://www.thailawforum.com/tourst-guide-laws-Thailand-4.html

Possession of a class II drug without a doctor’s prescription is a very serious offence.

[start_quote]

"Cocaine is (also) a drug purchased by tourists in Thailand. Category II drugs, like cocaine and the smuggled drugs ketamine and codeine, are considered for illegal personal use in any amount of one hundred grams or less and punishable with up to five years in prison and/or up to one hundred thousand baht.

Category II drugs can be considered legal drugs if you carry a medical certificate or prescription written by a licensed medical doctor or dentist; or if you have applied for and been granted a permit by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) before your arrival in Thailand. Even with a certificate, prescription or FDA permit, you are only allowed to enter Thailand with an amount of medication for thirty days use or less. Amphetamines, Dexamphetamine, Cannabis, THC, and Cathinone are always considered illegal and never allowed in and out of Thailand whether you have obtained medical permission or not. See the Customs section for more information about declaring prescription medications upon entry to and exit from Thailand."

[end_quote]

I noticed a few earlier posters recommending just sticking it in your bag and strolling through customs. IMHO that’s a really irresponsible suggestion.

My 75 year old mom was prescribed a codeine combination pain killer medicine at Bangkok International Hospital(Pattaya) during a recent long stay visit to Thailand. Her condition was confirmed with x-ray diagnosis prior to prescription of the pain killers.

I tried to purchase mom some more of the hospital prescribed codeine combination pain killers from decent local pharmacies once the month’s supply run out - all declined to supply, stating that it these type of pain killers are only available from Thai hospitals – she had to return in person to get another month’s supply.

The reason for the difficulty in local purchase is simply this; any drug containing Codeine is a 'Thailand class II controlled narcotic drug' More info here http://www.thailawforum.com/tourst-guide-laws-Thailand-4.html

Possession of a class II drug without a doctor’s prescription is a very serious offence.

[start_quote]

"Cocaine is (also) a drug purchased by tourists in Thailand. Category II drugs, like cocaine and the smuggled drugs ketamine and codeine, are considered for illegal personal use in any amount of one hundred grams or less and punishable with up to five years in prison and/or up to one hundred thousand baht.

Category II drugs can be considered legal drugs if you carry a medical certificate or prescription written by a licensed medical doctor or dentist; or if you have applied for and been granted a permit by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) before your arrival in Thailand. Even with a certificate, prescription or FDA permit, you are only allowed to enter Thailand with an amount of medication for thirty days use or less. Amphetamines, Dexamphetamine, Cannabis, THC, and Cathinone are always considered illegal and never allowed in and out of Thailand whether you have obtained medical permission or not. See the Customs section for more information about declaring prescription medications upon entry to and exit from Thailand."

[end_quote]

I noticed a few earlier posters recommending just sticking it in your bag and strolling through customs. IMHO that’s a really irresponsible suggestion.

It is worth noting that if bringing over a border any amount it is not considered for personal use so the penalty is not 5 years but can be life.

More posts discussing/recommending illegal measures have been removed.

Codeine is a Schedule 2 narcotic in Thailand and legally available only from a hospital pharmacy on prescription.

There is a well defined process for legally bringing it in with you if it has been prescribed, this has been described and links to it given.

Anyone ignoring this process potentially risks serious jail time.

With an explanatory letter from your physician, and a prescription you will never have a problem bringing in or traveling with your meds.

Also, I've never heard of any requirements to declare one's medications upon entering Thailand. Plus it's extremely unlikely Thai customs would search your luggage, so I'd leave a sleeping dog lay and not mention it. Even so, in the unlikely event they did search your luggage, and asked about the meds, your doctor's letter would satisfy them. The very worst that could unlikely happen, is that you get tied up in customs for a short period while things get sorted out.

Over the past thirty-five years I have walked through Thai customs literally 200-plus times and have never been asked anything ... much less, had by luggage inspected. Not that it can't happen ... and if it does, no problem. I have nothing to hide.

• Like 1

With an explanatory letter from your physician, and a prescription you will never have a problem bringing in or traveling with your meds.

Also, I've never heard of any requirements to declare one's medications upon entering Thailand. Plus it's extremely unlikely Thai customs would search your luggage, so I'd leave a sleeping dog lay and not mention it. Even so, in the unlikely event they did search your luggage, and asked about the meds, your doctor's letter would satisfy them. The very worst that could unlikely happen, is that you get tied up in customs for a short period while things get sorted out.

Over the past thirty-five years I have walked through Thai customs literally 200-plus times and have never been asked anything ... much less, had by luggage inspected. Not that it can't happen ... and if it does, no problem. I have nothing to hide.

Agreed, if you ignore that it is listed as a class II narcotic

• Like 1

I do confirm that drugs containing codeine are only available at hospital.

Furthermore, only a certain amount of these medicines will be delivered even though the GP has prescribed a greater amount ( a maximum of 20 tabletts are given: 6 tabletts of this kind are equivalent to the dose of morphine ) meaning that one has to go back to the hospital every now and then although not necessarily in person

I do confirm that drugs containing codeine are only available at hospital.

Furthermore, only a certain amount of these medicines will be delivered even though the GP has prescribed a greater amount ( a maximum of 20 tabletts are given: 6 tabletts of this kind are equivalent to the dose of morphine ) meaning that one has to go back to the hospital every now and then although not necessarily in person

Where did you come up with the magical number of 20 pills as a maximum? I have certainly walked out of the hospital with more than 20 tablets of Codeine here in Thailand in the not to distant past.

Where/when did I come up with this magical number? Let's see,....the day before yesterday when my spouse was prescribed a pill every 6 hours - one month prescription - and was told by the physician I would have to return to get more, confirmed by the pharmacist who only allowed 20 tablets to be taken home ( 30 mg of codeine each )

Of course I didn't try another hospital but I am pretty sure this is the official position, and yes I should have talked about the amount of codeine rather than the number of pills

Edited by alyx

In 23 years of flying in and out of Thailand my bags have never been searched ,just stick em in your bag with the prescription , stay calm ,dont panic.thumbsup.gif

I also have never had my bag searched, but on arrival this time while exiting the green channel, I saw a man having his bag searched, so it does happen now.

Last year they looked in my bags. And nearly every bag on my plane. I hade a few prescription medicines in it. I aleways have that. But they just looked at it 2 seconds and put it back. Didn't even ask me what it was. It was just two different kind of tabletts for high bloodpressure. But they didn't knew that. I had about 400 tabletts all together

Edited by larsjohnsson

Send emails to the British Embassy in Bangkok & the Thai Embassy in London with your questions - Get it from those who know or can help.

Keep copies of the replies for reference. These are the people you turn to if things go wrong & they'll have already dealt with any similar problems others may have had.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand.