Three Canadian police shot dead

webfact

Three Canadian police shot dead

NEW BRUNSWICK: -- Police say three officers have been shot dead and two others injured and they are searching for a suspect in the east coast Canadian province of New Brunswick.

The Royal Canadian Mounted Police in New Brunswick confirmed on its Twitter feed that three officers were dead and two others had sustained non-life threatening injuries. Police spokesman Paul Greene confirmed the deaths.

The RCMP said on Twitter it is looking for 24-year-old Justin Bourque of Moncton.

Full story: http://news.theage.com.au/breaking-news-world/three-canadian-police-shot-dead-20140605-39kqk.html

theage.jpg
-- The Age 2014-06-05

Moncton shootings: Manhunt as three police shot dead in Canada

A manhunt is under way in the Canadian city of Moncton, New Brunswick, after three officers were shot dead and two wounded.

Police said they were searching for Justin Bourque, 24, who was "armed and dangerous", and tweeted a picture of a suspect with weapons.

Officials have warned people to stay inside and lock their doors.

A police officer told the Associated Press news agency the search was concentrated around two streets.

Full story: http://www.bbc.com/news/27709330

bbclogo.jpg
-- BBC 2014-06-05

Shooter on the loose after killing 3 officers in New Brunswick, Canada
By Dana Ford and Greg Botelho, CNN

(CNN) -- Authorities spent Wednesday night trying to hunt down a man who, they say, fatally shot three of their officers and wounded two others in the Canadian province of New Brunswick.

In a tweet around 10:30 p.m., the Royal Canadian Mounted Police in New Brunswick indicated the shooter was still at large in the Pinehurst subdivision area of Moncton.

About an hour earlier, they'd alerted those in Moncton -- a city of just over 100,000 people some 90 miles (150 kilometers) northeast of St. John and 150 miles north of Halifax -- to take precautions.

Full story: http://us.cnn.com/2014/06/04/world/americas/canada-shooting/index.html?hpt=hp_t1

cnn.com.jpg
-- CNN 2014-06-05

Condolences and my support to the Mounties and affected family members. I am sure it will turn out to be a mental health and substance abuse problem. Automatic weapons are difficult to get in Canada, although our neighbors like to have them available.

Condolences and my support to the Mounties and affected family members. I am sure it will turn out to be a mental health and substance abuse problem. Automatic weapons are difficult to get in Canada, although our neighbors like to have them available.

What the bleep ??? How did your " neighbor" get drawn into what is clearly a Canadian

problem ? If you think grabbing a gun and shooting people is only an American problem,

you must not read the news...

What the bleep ??? How did your " neighbor" get drawn into what is clearly a Canadian

problem ? If you think grabbing a gun and shooting people is only an American problem,

It could be because gun-related homicides in Canada are at about the rate of 0.5/100,000 population, while to the south the rate is about 3.6/100,000...

Sad event but also shows violence happens in nearly every country including a peaceful place such as Canada.

Who said Canada was a peaceful place?

Maybe more guns on the street their than in Thailand.

Gang wars, Chinese & Indian Mafia, Bikers, Growers & and all of the other usual suspects are there and

gun battles are a common occurance.

It is not my intention to bash the American gun culture. Who knows, we may need your private militias some day. But whenever there is an incident with automatic weapons, always the source of those weapons will make up part of the discussion. Lots of guns coming north of the border, probably none going south.

Sad event but also shows violence happens in nearly every country including a peaceful place such as Canada.

Gang wars, Chinese & Indian Mafia, Bikers, Growers & and all of the other usual suspects are there and

You're joking right? You think there are more guns in Canada, then in Thailand; I think not. Canada has the lowest homicide rate in North, and South America; and problems Canada does have with guns, stem from the fact that they are are living next-door to the gun toting Americans; with almost no protected boarder. The difference here is; in Thailand this guy would still be on the run. Canada; He'll probably be caught or shot by the end of the day.........

Edited by alphaflight

Very few hand guns on the streets in Canada compared to other countries. Hand guns are illegal and all guns must be registered and kept in locked cases in the home. Possession of a hand gun is a very serious offence in Canada, the police do not put up with it.

It could be because gun-related homicides in Canada are at about the rate of 0.5/100,000 population, while to the south the rate is about 3.6/100,000...

Canada has the lowest rate of homicides in all of the Americas.................

• Like 2

I knew a cop that was one of the worst people I ever met because he was an alcoholic. My two friends who worked with him as fellow cops said they would never take a bullet for him and would in fact push him gladly into the line of fire.

He died a similar death and was exhaulted as a hero with news coverage. His family was probably better taken care of after his death.

:)

• Like 1

I knew a cop that was one of the worst people I ever met because he was an alcoholic. My two friends who worked with him as fellow cops said they would never take a bullet for him and would in fact push him gladly into the line of fire.

He died a similar death and was exhaulted as a hero with news coverage. His family was probably better taken care of after his death.

:)

What the <blank> does that have to do with anything?

This is about three good Law Enforcement Officers that were gunned down and two more seriously wounded.

Edited by ClutchClark
  • Like 1

You're joking right? You think there are more guns in Canada, then in Thailand; I think not. Canada has the lowest homicide rate in North, and South America; and problems Canada does have with guns, stem from the fact that they are are living next-door to the gun toting Americans; with almost no protected boarder. The difference here is; in Thailand this guy would still be on the run. Canada; He'll probably be caught or shot by the end of the day.........

Typical ignorant comment conflating high murder rates with high rates of gun ownership. Were this true, Switzerland would be one of the most violent societies on earth.

In the larger countries of the Americas, what correlates to high rates of homicide is percentage of blacks (and mestizos) in the population. Canada and Chile have the lowest rates of black population, and the lowest rates of homicide; Brazil has the highest percentage of blacks in the population (approx. 50%) and the highest rate of homicide.

The USA has in comparison to other countries in the Americas a middling percentage of blacks, and a middling homicide rate. Exclude the black population--roughly one sixth of the total--from the data, and the number of US homicides is reduced by over half and brings the US homicide rate among non blacks to roughly in line with European countries. Interestingly Puerto Rico, with a percentage black population approximately three times higher than in the rest of the USA, has a homicide rate approximately 6-7 times higher, putting both its percentage of black population and murder rates on par with Brazil.

Note, correlation doesnt necessarily imply causation. And since I take it as self evident that the majority of blacks everywhere are not violent, it is an arithmetic certainty that a minority percentage of them are extraordinarily violent compared to the population as a whole. Just why this is so is perhaps the most urgent question of all for social science.

Disclosure: I hate guns.

Without knowing the truth, the problem cant be fixed.

Typical ignorant comment conflating high murder rates with high rates of gun ownership. Were this true, Switzerland would be one of the most violent societies on earth.

In the larger countries of the Americas, what correlates to high rates of homicide is percentage of blacks (and mestizos) in the population. Canada and Chile have the lowest rates of black population, and the lowest rates of homicide; Brazil has the highest percentage of blacks in the population (approx. 50%) and the highest rate of homicide.

The USA has in comparison to other countries in the Americas a middling percentage of blacks, and a middling homicide rate. Exclude the black population--roughly one sixth of the total--from the data, and the number of US homicides is reduced by over half and brings the US homicide rate among non blacks to roughly in line with European countries. Interestingly Puerto Rico, with a percentage black population approximately three times higher than in the rest of the USA, has a homicide rate approximately 6-7 times higher, putting both its percentage of black population and murder rates on par with Brazil.

Note, correlation doesnt necessarily imply causation. And since I take it as self evident that the majority of blacks everywhere are not violent, it is an arithmetic certainty that a minority percentage of them are extraordinarily violent compared to the population as a whole. Just why this is so is perhaps the most urgent question of all for social science.

Disclosure: I hate guns.

Without knowing the truth, the problem cant be fixed.

If you are going to throw accusations of ignorance it might be a good idea not to fall into the same bracket...

You obviously know little about Switzerland and the simple fact that most of the weapons stored (securely) in people's homes are military-issued SIG rifles or pistols as per their militia/reserve commitments. The ammunition for said weapons has not been issued since 2007 and being Switzerland over 99% of the already issued 50 rounds per weapon was dutifully handed in as requested. Also being Switzerland there are amazingly strict rules re licenses, storage and general handling of weapons. A degree of intrusion that would have the Michigan militia types positively frothing with constitutional rage....

Moving on to the somewhat alarming "blame it on the blacks" argument...

Nice try by using Switzerland as an example of gun ownership but when it comes to "blame it on the blacks" you weasle out with a handy liittle rider..."in the larger countries of the Americas"...thus trying to avoid the simple fact that Honduras and El Salvador are the murder capitals of the Americas 91.6 and 69.2/1000 murders per head of population respectively. Ironically while El Salvador at 6.2 million is indeed smaller than Switzerland's 8million, Honduras has a larger population at 8.5 million.

But anyway this fails to hide the simple fact that of the larger (whatever that conveniently means) countries in the Americas, Brazil comes in 5th place. What is very apparent is that the black segment of the population in the first four states is at best minimal. While the majority of their populations are mestizos, the mixing was rarely with black ethnic groups.

Venezuela pop. 30million murders 79/1000

Guatemala 14million 38.5/1000

Colombia 47million 30.8/1000

Mexico 118million 23.7/1000

Brazil 201million 21.8/1000

Moving on to the US, you are quite right that blacks commit just over 50% of homicides so if we halve the US murder rate how does it stack up with "larger" (>10 million perhaps) European countries:

Ukraine 5.2/1000

USA (non-black) 2.4

UK 1.2

France 1.1

Spain 0.8

Germany 0.8

Switzerland 0.7 (plenty of guns, not enough bullets obviously)

So "non-black" USA scores poorly compared to the wealthier countries of Europe (and heaven forbid, I even included black citizens of European countries). Interestingly while you merrily claim that Switzerland has a higher rate of access to weapons (not ownership as all those issued SIGs are state property) than the US, their murder rate is less than 25% of even non-black USA. Perhaps the USA should therefore follow the Swiss route and have tighter restrictions, licences etc

As we have seen with Canada having tight control on weapons will not exclude the nutter (and it will be interesting to see where he acquired his weapons), the overall rate in Canada is 1.6/1000.

If you really want to "blame it on the blacks" perhaps you should be looking at murder rates in Africa. But it could be in Africa, as in all countries, a combination of civil unrest. drug wars, easy access to weaponry and poverty that explain high murder rates, rather than just race alone.

Edited by folium
  • Like 1

Did some posters not read the OP? This is about CANADA. I doubt the family members have much concern about gun ownership in Switzerland.

If you wish to have private conversation with another person, then use the PM function.

PS: The breakdown of murder rates/gun violence is interesting and thanks for the effort. It is nice to see some intellectual and factual posts, but let's try to make sure we don't stray too far off the topic.

smile.png

What the <blank> does that have to do with anything?

This is about three good Law Enforcement Officers that were gunned down and two more seriously wounded.

Going off at a tangent. This is a tragic story of three Police Officers dying in the line of duty. Heartfelt condolences to their surviving families and friends. I have friends who are alcoholics and they are not the worst people I have ever met.

• Like 1