Curfew enforcement getting more repressive

WinnieTheKhwai

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am back in the States, but preparing for another visit. I rush home at 11:59 p.m. every night, and stay inside until my self-imposed curfew is over. I want to build a tunnel to the nearest bar, but then i remembered i don't really drink.

remember, write books on your experiences...in 100-years it might go for millions on ebay.

coffee1.gif

4 more soldiers with rifles and a hummer at the 1001/121 crossroads this afternoon.

2 more under the Airport Plaza flyover.

Why are they increasing the troops in CM?

6 more soldiers is increasing the troops in CM? They were there days ago.I think and hope there are more than that on the lookout throughout a city of a million plus people.

According to a Bangkok newspaper source today the problem seems to lie with the RAK Chiang Mai 51 group who in the past have been very vocal and who are seemingly still making noises

The owner of a CM Hotel is the leader of this group. You can read the story for yourself.

Having heard today that the Army have caught up with a rice miller and charged him with corruption and a subsequent sentence of 20 years in the offing I think the Army will soon be making more friends than sceptics.

The rorting of free travel by those on the "preferred" list with Thai Airways is also high on the Armies agenda. Same news source for both stories

Time will tell I guess whether this purge of extremists and scam merchants will help the country move forward but a few troops around the town is surely not a major concern although it seems to some it is.

According to Bangkok post today, the Rak Chiangmai51 leader has 'suspended activities' and, more importantly, taken Thaksin's picture down from behind the reception counter at his hotel! Arisiman is bringing out an album of pro-junta love and harmony songs.
  • Like 1

A post and reply quoting it has been removed due to this forum rule:

26) Bangkok Post do not allow quotes from their news articles or other material to appear on Thaivisa.com. Neither do they allow links to their publications. Posts from members containing quotes from or links to Bangkok Post publications will be deleted from the forum. Please note that this is a decision by the Bangkok Post, not by Thaivisa.com and any complaints or other issues concerning this rule should be directed to them. Quotes from and links to Phuketwan are also not allowed and will also be removed. In special cases forum Administrators or the news team may use these sources.

It's quite noticeable that in a latest comment on easing curfew in tourist areas Chiang Mai still doesn't get a mention. World Cup at home, I'd say. See the BKK Post for the latest news on this.

I'm still half-expecting a 'temporary' suspension of the curfew when the World Cup kicks off tomorrow.

I'm reading that several Bangkok sports bars are planning/expecting to be open.

For Chiang Mai.. who knows. But the best chance of seeing the matches in public (assuming curfew still in effect) would be inside a hotel that plans to stay open.. Hotels of course can stay open, and could potentially do a lock-in party. Two or three world cups ago the Amora hotel organized a world cup party; it IS possible, and possibly legal enough as long as nobody leaves before 4am. (Those games don't end before 4am so it really shouldn't be an issue)

• Like 1

"I'm still half-expecting a 'temporary' suspension of the curfew when the World Cup kicks off tomorrow..."

I thought you have more common sense than that, or is it deliberate to stoke the fire like you did when you threw two watermelon candies?

re

The curfew is killing business owners in BKK

and chiang mai :(

pic of an empty warrarot market yesterday afternoon

and the bottom of loi kroh road at 11 20 last night !

i spoke to four bar owners last night and they and their girls are crying in their boots about having no customers and having to close early with no money :(

dave2

post-42592-0-38234500-1402533872_thumb.j

post-42592-0-88420600-1402533900_thumb.j

• Like 1

re

and chiang mai sad.png

i spoke to four bar owners last night and they and their girls are crying in their boots about having no customers and having to close early with no money sad.png

dave2

Maybe these girls will get another job instead of doing the work of the devil.

Drinking is bad for you all bars should be closed at 8 pm and allowed to open at 7 pm i hour a day for the health of the tourists and the citizens

Why do you go to bars what are you trying to escape from?

• Like 1

"I'm still half-expecting a 'temporary' suspension of the curfew when the World Cup kicks off tomorrow..."

I thought you have more common sense than that, or is it deliberate to stoke the fire like you did when you threw two watermelon candies?

??

(No idea what this refers to (candy?), or why this could be considered stoking by anyone, anywhere.)

with respect mate do you ever go to sleep all your posts seem to be hinged on the dark side,and your forte seems to be on lock ins

Topic is curfew.

(By definition that's hinged on the dark side. Suggest to read topics on daytime activities. Next.)

Can Admin not just ban guys like this? (not Dave 2).

Come on, clearly it's just sarcasm. Clicked 'Like'. wink.png

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

re

and chiang mai sad.png

i spoke to four bar owners last night and they and their girls are crying in their boots about having no customers and having to close early with no money sad.png

dave2

Drinking is bad for you all bars should be closed at 8 pm and allowed to open at 7 pm i hour a day for the health of the tourists and the citizens

I'm guessing "harryfrompattaya" is in actuality the screaming manic street preacher from the Night Bazaar.wacko.png.pagespeed.ce.jGW10VtQsI.png

• Like 2

Anecdotal:

The larger hotel chains are not replacing staff as they leave, occupancy levels are not good at all and budgets at at least three that I know well are being missed.

My hairdresser (chang klan) tells me business is down, most of his/her trade is local not farang, he tells me that lock in parties at the karaokes (next door) are not uncommon and the army tolerates. Said hairdresser is happy to suffer however for the greater good and sees the cost as being worthwhile longer term.

Tourist numbers at the Holiday Inn appear strong, the lobby is always full of Korean/Chinese plus a number of farang tourists in the gym.

Seems like there's a surge in property for sale and rent, agent contacts have increased plus the sales boards at Rimping are overflowing.

• Like 1

re

and chiang mai sad.png

dave2

Can Admin not just ban guys like this? (not Dave 2).

Well I certainly don't agree with his line of reasoning but your comment is tantamount to saying can administrators ban all posters who don't agree with me.

Get over your self.

I would like to see a reality thread that talks about the affect that the curfew has on the tourist industry in Chiang Mai not just the drinking and late not carousing crowd. I get out in the day and see many tourists.

Some of the crap on this thread is obviously made up and just put up to get a reaction.

But they have their right to post it.

• Like 2

A lot of people I know with tourism businesses say it is down way more than 10%, especially if not counting the Chinese.

It is easy to say downtown Chiang Mai has heaps of tourists but many of these stay long term, you see the same faces.

The hotels may be hurting more than guesthouses as there seems to be a small amount of backpackers.

You can overhear conversations about how bad tourism is wherever you go downtown - stall sellers, drivers, guides etc etc.

I've seen a couple of shops close up already. The Night Bazaar "coupon restaurant " had 2 tables when I passed through the other night at peak eating time.

However looking on the bright side, I have had at least 6 offers of very nice places to stay if I need to escape "the situation" quickly. Should I need to depart its going to be a tough choice of where to go !

I would like to see a reality thread that talks about the affect that the curfew has on the tourist industry in Chiang Mai not just the drinking and late not carousing crowd.

There is one here: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/730976-decline-in-tourist-arrivals/

Specifically mentions the exclusion of the bar crowd.

(This was after you started one on that exact topic, and then asked for it to be closed. Make up your mind. wink.png )

I asked for an end to it before it drifted off to la la land like the one you recommended did. I specifically related mine to Chiang Mai. Yours was wide open to tourism in Thailand. Just because you are into tourism and live in Chiang Mai doesn't mean you don't do tours all over Thailand. I have a good friend living in Bangkok who does tours all over Thailand.

Here is a sample that you wrote on the post you wrote showing where it had drifted off to.

No; more the upper echelons in general. Also note that in a democracy, influence on government is by the people (direct or through parliament), by definition.

He may have thought -somewhat foolishly in hindsight- that democracy had broken out and that elected government and parliament now called the shots. Either way he knows better now. smile.png.pagespeed.ce.CwSpBGGvqN.png Along with everyone else in Thailand with their eyes open.

Now if all factions and specifically the PTP and the red shirts would just accept that, then all will be fine. It does look encouraging as there haven't been any *organized* protests or disturbances from the red corner so far. Which would mean an end to the curfew, and fully back to normal for expats and tourists: back to the bars, the temples.. massage parlors.

To give you credit you did manage to mention tours in Temples. A bit of your usual beat.

But I am sure you see the reasoning for my request to end my thread and mention that it would be nice to have one about Chiang Mai not just the drinking crowd which was where the one I had posted was drifting off to.

As I said I am out during the day time and see lots of tourists. It is low season no matter what is happening politically and only natural to see fewer tourists. Where as I agree the number coming for the women and booze would most assuredly be down no matter what season it was.

As I said I am out during the day time and see lots of tourists. It is low season no matter what is happening politically and only natural to see fewer tourists. Where as I agree the number coming for the women and booze would most assuredly be down no matter what season it was.

Unfortunately you seeing people out and about and deciding they are all tourists is not as credible as the Thai government stating that tourism is down 11% on last year.

And they normally inflate the figures.

And what is this "drinking crowd" nonsense?

You think most tourists are muslims or something? You think tourists don't do stuff during the day, have a nap and a shower, eat then go out for a few beers?

I do not know a single tourist who goes to Chiang Mai just to go drinking.

I know a few residents who do not much else, perhaps you are confusing the two.

Edited by Chicog
  • Like 1

Tourism is down 11% since the curfew started.

Should tell you all you need to know.

Can't possibly be true.

The curfew and military occupation can't possibly be having any effect, why would that put off potential tourists?

After all, it has been pointed out on numerous occasions,Thailand is not like other countries.

1508342.GIF

Seems like there's a surge in property for sale and rent, agent contacts have increased plus the sales boards at Rimping are overflowing.

as you are very aware of,my posts have always indicated * its a buyers market* long before this latest hiccup.

but as ever u cover your angle, with the word * seems like a etc etc *

just hedging again

a nice afternoon to allsmile.png

Edited by evenstevens

re

I get out in the day and see many tourists.

these three pics were taken at thaphae gate at 3 15 ish today

count them ;(

there are some chinese , korean and i think japanese with a suicide wish on rented motorbikes about for sure and their skill on bikes is if anything ... worse than thais :(

if thats possible ?

dave2

ps ... i went into a 7 eleven at 11 30 last night on sridonchai for some milk and munchies

when i came out a slim girl of about 20 who was sat on a motorbike said where you go

i said home . she said i go with you for 1000 baht but i have to stay all night :(

the poor girls are getting desperate ..which is sad

but i said no !

post-42592-0-46245300-1402573620_thumb.j

post-42592-0-60849800-1402573657_thumb.j

post-42592-0-76853300-1402573751_thumb.j