Flying in from the nanny state to LOS on 30 day visa followed by a land crossing

Hi there fellow esteemed members of tv.com...

A friend is flying in from the nanny state of oz into LOS and will receive a 30 day entry. If he then travels to Cambodia and returns to Thailand by land crossing within a month or so - will he be permitted to do so according to the new visa rules? i.e. will he successfully get a 15 day visa?

Obviously he can go and get a double entry tourist visa in Sydney but thought I would ask the above question - so that he knows what the go is.

thanks

A friend is flying in from the nanny state of oz into LOS and will receive a 30 day entry. If he then travels to Cambodia and returns to Thailand by land crossing within a month or so - will he be permitted to do so according to the new visa rules? i.e. will he successfully get a 15 day visa?

Obviously he can go and get a double entry tourist visa in Sydney but thought I would ask the above question - so that he knows what the go is.

thanks

Not sure. The non nanny state of Thailand and Cambodia has somewhat arbitrary immigration laws where the rules are open to interpretation and arbitrary change.

Unless he has previous history of several border crossing he should have no problem getting a 15 day entry.

A single entry tourist visa would be best plus he would not to be worried about being denied boarding his flight without a ticket out of the country within 30 days of arrival.

There are several locations where he can get the visa besides Sydney.

...If he then travels to Cambodia and returns to Thailand by land crossing ...

Do you mean that he plans to do this only to get another 15 days in Thailand or because he wants to travel about in Cambodia as a tourist in addition to visiting Thailand?

If the exit and re-entry is solely to get an additional 15 days in Thailand, as others have said, better to start out with a single entry tourist visa and not bother with the border crossing.

If you mean that he wants to travel in Cambodia within the first month of arriving in Thailand and then come back to Thailand before going back to Oz, the single entry tourist visa would serve no purpose since, as the name implies, he'd only be able to use if for the first entry into Thailand and when he came back to Thailand from Cambodia he'd still just get the 15 day visa exempt entry.

Edited by Suradit69

thanks

Not sure. The non nanny state of Thailand and Cambodia has somewhat arbitrary immigration laws where the rules are open to interpretation and arbitrary change.

Please explain "The nanny state of oz" I do not understand what you are 'ratting' on about.facepalm.gif

I think your friend should obtain a "Tourist Visa" from the Sydney Thai Consulate. Getting a double entry shouldn't be an issue, as long as you have flight confirmation leaving Thailand before the 3 month validity expires.

It's an easy 10 minute walk from Martin Place station, apply before 11am, pick-up next day 2pm.

P.s.They are closed weekends and thai holidays.

Sent from my iPhone 6

yes if he goes to cambodia and crosses into thailand again he then gets 15 days, i did this recently and that is what happened

On the subject of multiple entry Tourist Visas obtained from an overseas consulate. Perhaps an upgrade on what people know about these visas is required.

I am currently in Thailand on the first entry of my triple entry Tourist Visa obtained at the Thai consulate in Melbourne during April last.

In the past I have obtained double entry visas there, 90 days each entry.

This time I was told that 90 days is no longer available, each entry now lasting for 60 days only, however I could get a triple entry tourist visa if I wanted.

I did that and am looking forward to two seamless re-entries at a land border . . .

On the subject of multiple entry Tourist Visas obtained from an overseas consulate. Perhaps an upgrade on what people know about these visas is required.

I am currently in Thailand on the first entry of my triple entry Tourist Visa obtained at the Thai consulate in Melbourne during April last.

In the past I have obtained double entry visas there, 90 days each entry.

This time I was told that 90 days is no longer available, each entry now lasting for 60 days only, however I could get a triple entry tourist visa if I wanted.

I did that and am looking forward to two seamless re-entries at a land border . . .

Tourist visas have never given a 90 day entry. They give a 60 day entry that can be extended for 30 days.

People call them 90 day visas but that is incorrect because you have to apply for the extension to get the 90 days.

thanks

Please explain "The nanny state of oz" I do not understand what you are 'ratting' on about.facepalm.gif

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nanny_state

"a government that tries to give too much advice or make too many laws about how people should live their lives, especially about eating, smoking, or drinkingalcohol:"

Cambridge

• Like 2

thanks

Cambodia is not arbitrary. They let everyone in and there's even a 1-year multiple entry visa, extendable indefinitely if you ask a travel agency to help you extend your initial one month on arrival visa. You never have to leave the country if you don't want to and all you need is less than US$300 a year, your passport and a passport photo - and nothing else.

Thailand unfortunately doesn't allow you to just stay without some combination of visa runs, working, studying or retiring on an appropriate visa. But for what the OP wants to do there won't be a problem.

I don't think there will be a problem at any immigration checkpoint either, but rather than go with the hordes of tourists entering at Aranyaprathet, across from Poipet, a trip down to Ban Laem/Daung, or Ban Pakkard/Prom or even Hat Lek (Khlong Yai)/Cham Yeam (Koh Kong) would be better as there are far fewer people crossing and you're less likely to be scrutinised.

If the OP only wants to spend about 45 days in Thailand + whatever length of time in Cambodia, there won't be a problem. Bringing along sufficient funds and/or a plane ticket will help, but these documents will only need to be shown upon request.