Dogs in Pattaya.

emilymat

I'm neither a dog lover or dog hater but I would love some views on this issue, particularly from those who are dog lovers etc.

For over 2 years I rented a house in a narrow soi and would get absolutely fed up with dogs barking almost all the time at anything that moved. My point is that the people opposite and the houses both sides of that, had dogs that were confined to small front yards, with two of them on pieces of string.

Now, I swear to any reader, that those dogs, in two years, never exited those yards. I personally think it is very cruel and no wonder they bark all day, as they have nothing else to do. Also there were many others in the soi, often setting up chorus's of barking. The owners were a mix of Thai and farang.

So, I moved down by the lake to a small soi and there are about 4 or 5 soi dogs that lurk about. They are not aggressive and, the first thing I noticed was the peace and quiet as they rarely bark. They occasionally have a short 'howling' at night but that rarely lasts more than a couple of minutes. They sound more like wolves.

Why the post then. Well I would be curious to know whether it is regarded as cruel - by any authorities, or posters - to keep a dog confined to a small yard. Also, are the soi dogs benefitting from plenty of exercise, so less inclined to bark all day? Ta

Hi,

I also have moved house within Pattaya over the years a few times because of barking dogs. Once it was a single one, over the wall 2 meters from my bedroom. It was confined in a typical Thai front yard, 4 by 4 meters or so. The owner refused to keep the thing indoors over night.

Yes,I DO believe it is cruel and against a dog's nature to keep it permanently in such a small place. A healthy dog has a lot of energy, by nature it wants to run around, sniff things out and form packs.

In one place I lived there were outright barking WARS at night between soi dogs and the ones kept behind fences. I am convinced the soi dogs were jealous that the fenced dogs had a regular supply of food, and the fenced - in dogs hated the soi dogs becaus they had a chance to run and sniff around at will.

Oh well, because this is Thailand, and these are obviously Thai ways.... What can we do except vote with our feet??

• Like 1