D-Day 70th anniversary: Ceremonies and staged landing held

webfact

D-Day 70th anniversary: Ceremonies and staged landing held

(BBC) Hundreds of the last surviving D-Day veterans have gathered on both sides of the English Channel, 70 years on from the momentous World War Two mission.

A spectacular Red Arrows display in Southsea and parachute drop in France came on the eve of the anniversary.

The Princess Royal was at the drumhead ceremony in Portsmouth, where on 5 June 1944 troops were preparing to invade Nazi-occupied France.

Between 2,500 and 4,000 Allied troops are thought to have died the next day.

As many as 9,000 Germans are also estimated to have lost their lives when around 156,000 troops, mainly from Britain, the US and Canada landed on Normandy's beaches in one of World War Two's key turning points.

Full story: http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-27700479

bbclogo.jpg
-- BBC 2014-06-06

• Like 2

We must never forget the debt we owe to our now I suppose grandfathers and grandmothers along with our (my generation) fathers and mothers for their efforts in W.W.2.

My father was in the El Alemain and middle East,theatre of war so of course he missed D.Day.

However later he served a tour of duty in Germany at the end of the conflict. Being a professional soldier his service term was extended beyond the wartime requirement.

We must never forget the debt we owe to our now I suppose grandfathers and grandmothers along with our (my generation) fathers and mothers for their efforts in W.W.2.

My father was in the El Alemain and middle East,theatre of war so of course he missed D.Day.

However later he served a tour of duty in Germany at the end of the conflict. Being a professional soldier his service term was extended beyond the wartime requirement.

They would be great grandfathers and grandmothers now; I served during a period well after World War 2, from 1971 to 1993, and I am a four-time grandfather already.

• Like 1

Let me guess. obama hopped on a plane to go over there. He loves flying & wearing his bomber jacket. He probably pockets a few Air Force One cocktail napkins every trip.

Here is what I predict. His speech will be all about him. It always is. How the invasion shaped his life.

How do I know this? Because it always is about him. At the Mandela funeral. At the West Point Commencement. It's his favorite topic.

God help all of us.

What will people do after 2016? There truly will be nothing to complain about after Obama's second term ends and the weakling won't even stage a coup to permanently remain in power! But its all true about O circumventing the Constitution- while I slept, he sent Navy Seals to confiscate the last beer in my fridge...

Back OT, the Normandy vets were a great generation. They mastered their fear and got the job done, hats off!

My dad landed on Utah Beach on June 8 and eventually fought his way across France, Luxembourg, Belgium, and Germany with the 90th Division and was in Czechoslovakia at war's end. He passed away in 2008 but he and the rest of his generation will never be forgotten.

• Like 2

They would be great grandfathers and grandmothers now; I served during a period well after World War 2, from 1971 to 1993, and I am a four-time grandfather already.

Thank you for your service. We may have passed one another during our time in. LOL.

91B5M

USA Ret.

1968-1988.

Rest In Peace Fallen Soldiers, Sailors, Airmen, Marines and Patriots.

• Like 1

My Dad was there and he's still alive at 97. He was on the ridge close to where Gen. Douglas MacArthur was killed when allied planes got confused and bombed about 5 miles into friendly troops.

Um, General MacArthur died of natural causes in 1964...

Ouch. My bad - brain fart. Same story but it was General McNair.

"General Lesley James McNair (May 25, 1883 – July 25, 1944) was an American Army officer who served during World War I and World War II. He was killed by friendly fire when a USAAF Eighth Air Force bomb landed in his foxhole near Saint-Lô during Operation Cobra as part of the Battle of Normandy." LINK

Thank you for your service. We may have passed one another during our time in. LOL.

91B5M

USA Ret.

1968-1988.

Rest In Peace Fallen Soldiers, Sailors, Airmen, Marines and Patriots.

Kudos to you too Benmart. I believe that we can hold our heads up high for serving full military careers...!

<snip>

Those serving elsewhere are often forgotten; though they made great sacrifices for our freedom, too.