Air Asia restarting flights from Bangkok to UK?

Air Asia talked about buying some flights for long haul to Europe during 2014. so maybe one route would start late 2014 and some later in 2015/16.

Thai AirAsia X only has two aircraft - A330s - which will be used on Korean and Japanese routes. No more aircraft deliveries are scheduled in 2014 or 2015.

I don't think they ever flew direct, they used to go via KL first from stansted then Gatwick, every time i looked at the prices with the compulsary add ons, it was more expensive than direct with Thai or Eva air,

• Like 1

Posters are correct. They never flew from the Bangkok, they flew from the KL. I flew 3 times Stansted to KL. It was fun. In the beginning the flights were really cheap. The air hostesses were on commission and wore the Air Asia slightly sexy outfit and went up and down flogging food and drink in a chatty, flirty way. The flight path was anything but straight as it had to fly over as few countries as possible to reduce the airspace fees. I think it took 14 and a half hours in the air. I took my own sandwiches!! I had never been to the Stansted before but discovered it was adequately connected to the transport network by regular coaches to the London.

But alas, the prices went up and then the route was discontinued. The end.

Edited by Briggsy
  • Like 1

Posters are correct. They never flew from the Bangkok, they flew from the KL. I flew 3 times Stansted to KL. It was fun. In the beginning the flights were really cheap. The air hostesses were on commission and wore the Air Asia slightly sexy outfit and went up and down flogging food and drink in a chatty, flirty way. The flight path was anything but straight as it had to fly over as few countries as possible to reduce the airspace fees. I think it took 14 and a half hours in the air. I took my own sandwiches!! I had never been to the Stansted before but discovered it was adequately connected to the transport network by regular coaches to the London.

Yes, wifey and I got a BKK-KL-STN return for 18k bht shortly after they started which was great value but the long leg was a bit of a killer.

Haven't heard anything about plans to restart flights to the UK.

dave, it doesn't mention lhr. Most probably it will be again gatwick, maybe stansted. LHR doesn't have any available slots, it's at 99% capacity. And the earliest is sometimes 2015.

but I don't think they have a chance of coming back to london or paris, within the last 2 years competition grow even stronger

• Like 1

dave, it doesn't mention lhr. Most probably it will be again gatwick, maybe stansted. LHR doesn't have any available slots, it's at 99% capacity. And the earliest is sometimes 2015.

but I don't think they have a chance of coming back to london or paris, within the last 2 years competition grow even stronger

BHX would be great for me personally.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

I flew KUL- Stansted once and was quite happy with them. Deprived of free booze, food and seat back entertainment, I fell asleep soon after take off and woke up a couple of hours out of UK! My understanding was that Air Asia X pulled out of Europe when the EU introduced its crude and unfair 'carbon offset tax' (just read 'tax') and The UK government of Gordon Brown doubled the passenger departure tax.

They must be returning so that Tony Fernandez can go to watch QPR using his own airline.

• Like 1

Long Haul =Low Cost does not work ! If it did you would expect one of the most profitable airlines in the world to offer such a service (Ryanair)

Oasis Airlines = HKG/GTW and Air Asia X KUL/STN both could not make it work. The high costs involved are not part of the low cost model.

If Air Asia X attempt to start again from Kuala Lumpur to Gatwick or Stansted you can bet the likes of Emirates/Qatar/Etihad would soon put an end to it by reducing their prices.

Long Haul =Low Cost does not work ! If it did you would expect one of the most profitable airlines in the world to offer such a service (Ryanair)

Oasis Airlines = HKG/GTW and Air Asia X KUL/STN both could not make it work. The high costs involved are not part of the low cost model.

If Air Asia X attempt to start again from Kuala Lumpur to Gatwick or Stansted you can bet the likes of Emirates/Qatar/Etihad would soon put an end to it by reducing their prices.

Ryanair hope to do Trans Atlantic flights. As for Thai AirAsia X, they will be using airports where AirAsia X have landing rights.

Please note that THAI Air Asia X is different KL based Air Asia X.

I have not seen any talk of TAA-X going to Europe nor any talk of AA-X restarting trips to Europe.

TAA-X have indicated though that they desire to go to Asia / Australia though.

It was that absolutely stupid EU tax that killed the AA-X European routes where you pay for the total distance from dept - destination mileage.

eg Tax on KL - UK but say you stopped in Dubai you pay for Dubai only.

• Like 1

Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought that the only difference between 'Thai Air Asia' and 'Air Asia' is that the former have to set up a local subsidiary in order to get a few rich Chinese Thais onto the payroll in order to comply with Thai company law to protect and enhance the wealth of the rich. Apart from that, it is all Tony's show.

• Like 2

Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought that the only difference between 'Thai Air Asia' and 'Air Asia' is that the former have to set up a local subsidiary in order to get a few rich Chinese Thais onto the payroll in order to comply with Thai company law to protect and enhance the wealth of the rich. Apart from that, it is all Tony's show.

No, that's not correct. Airspace and landing slots are still archaic in the ASEAN region. "Domestic" carriers get the edge when it comes to slots, so AirAsia had to open several subs to get round that, just as they had to do in India.

Also, having subs saves the main company from going bust if one drags them down. Tony loves flexibility - I doubt he would ever put all his eggs into one basket.

Air Asia talked about buying some flights for long haul to Europe during 2014. so maybe one route would start late 2014 and some later in 2015/16.

Thai AirAsia X only has two aircraft - A330s - which will be used on Korean and Japanese routes. No more aircraft deliveries are scheduled in 2014 or 2015.

I heard it on CNBC news. They are ordering new flights for long haul.