Phuket Immigration swoop nets Nigerian, Cambodians, Indians and a Syrian

webfact

Phuket Immigration swoop nets Nigerian, Cambodians, Indians and a Syrian
Suthicha Sirirat

1402043499_1-org.jpg
The seven men are presented to media at a press conference.

PHUKET: -- Seven foreigners have been arrested in Phuket for a variety of immigration-related offences, plus begging illegally.

Phuket Immigration held a press conference yesterday afternoon (June 5) to announce the arrests of the seven men.

Caught first were two Cambodian men named Chai, 40, and Lue, 70, who were arrested for begging illegally on Chao Fah Road.

Nigerian national Paul Chiboy Anasoh, 25, was arrested closed to Robinson in Phuket Town for having an expired permit to stay. He entered Thailand on September 24, 2012, and his permit to stay expired on December 22, 2013.

In addition, three Indians – Angrej Singh, 26, Rakesh Singh, 27, and Ranveer Singh, 29 – were arrested on Phuket Road in Phuket Town for not having a valid permit to stay in Thailand.

Syrian national Amer Tamim 28, was arrested in Rassada for having an expired permit to stay. He arrived in Thailand via a checkpoint in Ranong on December 14, 2013. His permit to stay expired on March 13, 2014.

Source: http://www.thephuketnews.com/phuket-immigration-swoop-nets-nigerian-cambodians-indians-and-a-syrian-46710.php

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2014-06-06

• Like 1

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Indeed looks like they are just 'randomly' checking on people in the street as there were recently several reports of people arrested on the street and in parking lots. I put randomly between quotation marks as it seems they are concentrating on the usual suspects for now.

• Like 1

nigerians? i see one.

so they've arrested some taylors / suit salesmen, some street vendors,

and im sure that's my favorite kebab cart guy? :( the big guy near the end...

cant get bigger fish than these through some basic intel..?

great dragnet / swoopnet" operation boys lol...but do be careful not to net any dolfins pleez.

• Like 1

i would take another step,i would like to see a ''stop and frisk','police on thais and foriengers...call it ''profileing'' call it racism,call it what you want..it works..

i would take another step,i would like to see a ''stop and frisk','police on thais and foriengers...call it ''profileing'' call it racism,call it what you want..it works..

that is''stop and frisk'' policy....

• Like 1

Indeed looks like they are just 'randomly' checking on people in the street as there were recently several reports of people arrested on the street and in parking lots. I put randomly between quotation marks as it seems they are concentrating on the usual suspects for now.

My rule was always to take my passport with me only if planning to spend one or more nights in another province/other provinces. But from now on if I leave my home province Phangnga just for the day to go to Phuket, Surat Thani or Krabi, I will also take my passport with me.

I Don't blame them for arresting the guys who have over stayed thier visas, as they are here illegally. ( where ever they come from ). They should do this more offen, as the ammount of foreigners here illegally is amazing.

I'm sure there are people staying in Thailand illegally as there are in lots of other countries.

But, how do you know the amount is "amazing"? Where did you get the amount from and what constitutes amazing in your view?

I was going to ask him that too, but then I rememberd how angry the right-wingers here become if anyone questions their authority. That's also when they start shouitng 'laws are laws' like mommy's little helper. But then go look at the other threads where they let more out about themselves, and you get a glimpse of how intelligent and authoritarian they really are.

• Like 2

My rule was always to take my passport with me only if planning to spend one or more nights in another province/other provinces. But from now on if I leave my home province Phangnga just for the day to go to Phuket, Surat Thani or Krabi, I will also take my passport with me.

Why, are those the places you go begging?

• Like 2

We could call that 'profileing'...but would it be ok with you if we spelled correctly, instead?

9 at the table and the 2 cambo's at the end - was looking for a 70 yr old - so this is a 7/11swoop ? or is it a remake of Ocean's Eleven? 5 5 5 - but seriously - I just wonder how many falungs all over thailand are here with expired visa's - even all over bkk...and the army seems to be firm on getting this stuff done - and kicking the police in the butt as well...am sure glad I am legal here...yikes...

• Like 1

This is a good move, I hope they do more. In Pattaya, I have met three guys who survive by selling drugs and all three are a few years in country with no visa. I'm sure that a lot more of the foreign criminal element are in county with no visa -- round 'em up and ship 'em home!

What you've suggested is hardly racism and I wouldn't certainly call it profiling as you've included everybody in the World!... "Boss I have a great idea, let's make a profile of illegal types. Let's stop & frisk everybody who is a Thai and everybody who is not a Thai"!! Quality brasinwave!

. . . and I bet you are a big fan of the NSA, too.