Can Expats in Thailand Vote For Scottish Freedom?

Neeranam

You can't vote unless you are on the voters roll in Scotland. Nationality as pointed out is not an issue, approx 15% of the Scottish electorate in this referendum is not Scots born.

That's fine, we are a mature country. People are very welcome to move to Scotland and partake in the body-politic. It's a shame that you guys that have chosen to live here are denied a vote on Thai issues.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You can't vote unless you are on the voters roll in Scotland. Nationality as pointed out is not an issue, approx 15% of the Scottish electorate in this referendum is not Scots born.

That's fine, we are a mature country. People are very welcome to move to Scotland and partake in the body-politic. It's a shame that you guys that have chosen to live here are denied a vote on Thai issues.

you mean to say I can move to scotland , stay as long as I like and vote?

Guys, looks like Scottish expats cannot vote on this issue, see below.

In any case, please keep the comments on the topic, which is as stated "Can expats in Thailand vote for Scottish freedom."

Mac

http://www.yesscotla...sh-independence

Administration[edit]
Date and eligibility[edit]
The Scottish Government announced on 21 March 2013 that the referendum would be held on 18 September 2014.[2] Some media reports mentioned that 2014 would be the 700th anniversary of the Battle of Bannockburn[30][31] and that Scotland will also host the 2014 Commonwealth Games and the 2014 Ryder Cup.[31] Salmond agreed that the presence of these events made 2014 a "good year to hold a referendum".[32]
Under the terms of the 2010 Draft Bill, the following people would be entitled to vote in the referendum:[18]
British citizens who are resident in Scotland;
citizens of the 53 other Commonwealth countries who are resident in Scotland;
citizens of the 27 other European Union countries who are resident in Scotland;
members of the House of Lords who are resident in Scotland;
Service/Crown personnel serving in the UK or overseas in the British Armed Forces or with Her Majesty's Government who are registered to vote in Scotland.
The Scottish Government passed legislation to reduce the voting age for the referendum from 18 to 16, as it is SNP policy to reduce the voting age for all elections in Scotland.[18][33][34] The move was supported by Labour, the Liberal Democrats, and the Scottish Greens.[35][36]
In January 2012, Elaine Murray MSP of Labour led a debate arguing that the franchise should be extended to Scots living outside Scotland, including the approximately 800,000 living in the other parts of the UK.[37] This was opposed by the Scottish Government, which argued that it would greatly increase the complexity of the referendum and stated that there was evidence from the United Nations Human Rights Committee that other nations "might question the legitimacy of a referendum if the franchise is not territorial".[37]
In the House of Lords, Baroness Symons argued that the rest of the UK should be allowed to vote on Scottish independence, on the grounds that it would affect the whole country. This argument was rejected by the British Government, as the Advocate General for Scotland Lord Wallace said that "whether or not Scotland should leave the United Kingdom is a matter for Scotland".[37] Wallace also pointed to the fact that only two of 11 referendums since 1973 had been across all of the United Kingdom.[37] Professor John Curtice has also argued that the Northern Ireland sovereignty referendum of 1973 created a precedent for allowing only those resident in one part of the UK to vote on its sovereignty.[38]
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Looks like still a “no” for expats:
Sunday 8th June 2014
Barrister Aidan O’Neill QC has penned legal advice suggesting that the rules of the referendum - which state that only those resident in Scotland at the time of the referendum can cast a vote - breach European Union rules.

As long as you abide by visa and residence regulations, yes. I am working on behalf of the Yes campaign, and my remit is to visit the African churches in Glasgow and Lanarkshire to explain why a yes vote is in the best interest of the country. There are a few thousand registered African voters, and they have chosen to domicile in Scotland, and so are entitled to vote.

They are very welcome.

I would be most surprised if someone that is not currently on the register would be allowed to move in/sign up this close to the actual referendum, not least because it might encourage Salmond to bus them in!

Edited by evadgib

Salmonds gerrymandeing of the whole shebang is outrageous. Read the parts about Citizens of Commonwealth countries residing in Scotland being allowed the vote. Citizens of the European Union residing in Scotland being allowed a vote. Reducing the voting age to 16 allowing kids to vote for the first time.

But when it was suggested that Scottish expats be allowed a vote----- no chance, too hard.

Personally, I think a referendum which may lead to the breakup of the UK should be voted for or against by ALL the UK population.

To recap. Poles, Pakistanis, Bulgarians, Africans living in Scotland can vote on the break up of the UK. But Scotsmen and women, born but not living there now, are denied a vote.

Wee Jowly Eck may burn in hell for the Eff Up he is about to preside over

As long as you abide by visa and residence regulations, yes. I am working on behalf of the Yes campaign, and my remit is to visit the African churches in Glasgow and Lanarkshire to explain why a yes vote is in the best interest of the country. There are a few thousand registered African voters, and they have chosen to domicile in Scotland, and so are entitled to vote.

They are very welcome.

No doubt they are. How many of them are refugees from their own regimes? So we have little chats with paid employees of the YES campaign explaining the benefits which will come their way. And where does the money come from for their benefits?

They are very welcome.

what kind of visa? you mean I can just inform the government I want to take up residence in scotland and they will give me a visa to let me do so?

They are very welcome.

what kind of visa? you mean I can just inform the government I want to take up residence in scotland and they will give me a visa to let me do so?

No - we have a process where, for example American citizens, can obtain a visa and after a qualifying period take up residence in the UK. With residence comes the right to vote.

One of a myriad of reasons why I will be voting YES......

Kevin McKenna - The Guardian.

"Earlier this month, the UK Treasury declared that, following a period of intense and prolonged analysis of the economic numbers, each of us would be £1 a year worse off in an independent Scotland. Put another way, for £1 a year you will never have to endure the economic privations of a Conservative government ever again. You will not be penalised for being poor or old and nor will you suffer the pain of watching your young boys being killed in illegal wars or occupations.

We won't be lacking friends, either. Of matters concerning oil and Europe in an independent Scotland, the Norwegian government officials I met in Oslo last month were very upbeat. "Come and talk to us before you commit to the EU," they said, "and let us advise you how to manage your oil fund and how to negotiate with the oil companies."

With each passing week, it becomes more difficult to support a union that doesn't really exist anyway. Morally, it may soon become indefensible to remain in a state that rewards corruption and promotes inequality when you have an opportunity to leave it behind."

• Like 1

No - we have a process where, for example American citizens, can obtain a visa and after a qualifying period take up residence in the UK. With residence comes the right to vote.

ANY american citizen can obtain one of these visas and qualify?

"Earlier this month, the UK Treasury declared that, following a period of intense and prolonged analysis of the economic numbers, each of us would be £1 a year worse off in an independent Scotland. Put another way, for £1 a year you will never have to endure the economic privations of a Conservative government ever again. You will not be penalised for being poor or old and nor will you suffer the pain of watching your young boys being killed in illegal wars or occupations.

We won't be lacking friends, either. Of matters concerning oil and Europe in an independent Scotland, the Norwegian government officials I met in Oslo last month were very upbeat. "Come and talk to us before you commit to the EU," they said, "and let us advise you how to manage your oil fund and how to negotiate with the oil companies."

With each passing week, it becomes more difficult to support a union that doesn't really exist anyway. Morally, it may soon become indefensible to remain in a state that rewards corruption and promotes inequality when you have an opportunity to leave it behind."

I take it you aren't an expat, then?

If I am understanding your question correctly - yes. It doesn't matter if you have had no previous connection to Scotland. As long as you qualified for a visa under current UK regulations, then qualified as a resident, you can vote in any British election. By dint, as long as you were resident in Scotland, you would have had a vote in this election. I know four Americans that have a vote. I will say that gaining residency status is a lengthy procedure.

Here's a list of the countries whose citizens are allowed to register to vote in the UK.

http://www.aboutmyvote.co.uk/who_can_register_to_vote.aspx

You'll see that the USA is not on that list. You gain the right to vote through qualifying under residency - here's an article that explains the upcoming regime, please note tier two visa status

http://thepienews.com/news/uk-to-tighten-permanent-residency-rules-in-2016/

I know of four Americans that have the right to vote in the UK. Give me a few days and I'll find out what they did to gain that right.

• Like 1

Writes for the guardian ,says it all .

To the OP - I am in conversation as we speak with the leading expat blogger in regards to the referendum. Anyone interested in accessing his quite superb facebook feed please pm me. We are discussing the September 2nd registration issue.

We were both under the assumption that you had to be resident in Scotland to vote. We both cannot find a definition of residency. My colleague, who is supremely connected, will investigate today and get back to me. It may be that you have uncovered a gaping hole in the referendum qualification rules.

It would be a dream scenario if there was a loophole that allowed people to fly in, register, submit a postal vote then leave. The Scottish diaspora is resolutely nationalist, and it was a matter of regret that we could not include the diaspora in the electorate. I'm of the opinion that the diaspora would get us over the line.

• Like 1

If I am understanding your question correctly - yes. It doesn't matter if you have had no previous connection to Scotland. As long as you qualified for a visa under current UK regulations, then qualified as a resident, you can vote in any British election. By dint, as long as you were resident in Scotland, you would have had a vote in this election. I know four Americans that have a vote. I will say that gaining residency status is a lengthy procedure.

Here's a list of the countries whose citizens are allowed to register to vote in the UK.

You'll see that the USA is not on that list. You gain the right to vote through qualifying under residency - here's an article that explains the upcoming regime, please note tier two visa status

I know of four Americans that have the right to vote in the UK. Give me a few days and I'll find out what they did to gain that right.

probably acquired an ancestor visa and after 5 years applied. that isnt just anybody

probably acquired an ancestor visa and after 5 years applied. that isnt just anybody

I didn't say it was an easy process, I said visa then residency.

I didn't say it was an easy process, I said visa then residency.

but you compared it favourably to thailand. so far , I havent seen evidence that just any person from a foreign country can get a visa, come in, get residency and vote. doesnt seem all that much better than thailand to me