Tourist areas greet lifting of curfew

Lite Beer

Tourist areas greet lifting of curfew
The Sunday Nation:

BANGKOK: -- Hoteliers in Hua Hin and Cha-am welcomed the lifting of the curfew in tourist areas, saying it will boost income for hotels and resorts plus people running restaurants, shops and entertainment venues.

The Western Region Hotel Association, which covers operators in the two areas, said lifting the curfew would boost businesses, particularly on weekends. Group tours for seminars were also returning to their areas as a result of the move by the National Council for Peace and Order (NCPO).

The ruling junta, on Friday night, announced the lifting of curfew in Phetchburi's Cha-am district, Prachuap Khiri Khan's Hua Hin district, Krabi and Phang-nga provinces, effective immediately.

Also, the Tourism Authority (TAT) said on its website that the NCPO had granted curfew exemption for the full-moon parties on Koh Pha-ngan being held from tomorrow till Friday.

The island of Pha-ngan, off Surat Thani in the Gulf of Thailand near Koh Samui, draws thousands of backpackers to its hedonistic full-moon event, billed as one of the biggest beach parties in the world.

The curfew was earlier lifted in most major beach resorts, including Pattaya in Chon Buri, Koh Samui in Surat Thani, and Phuket.

Vasant Kittikul, president of the Western Region Hotel Association, said both Hua Hin and Cha-am were not hit hard by the curfew as they are top destinations, but it was a relief for businesses that stay open late at night. The night market and Hua Hin walking street would see a boost.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-06-08

Please note

Extraordinary events are taking place once again, and it is important that this venue remains a source of reliable and accurate information so that those needing information to keep their families safe and informed are able to do so without finding a forum cluttered up with senseless fighting, rumours and speculation.

For the time being we will have a zero tolerance policy towards:

- Abusive behaviour towards others.

- Rumour mongering, speculation, or other inflammatory posts.

- Political lobbying or propaganda of any kind.

- Abusing the report system.

Posts in violation will be deleted without comment and posting rights removed.

It is time to set aside your bickering and arguments and help keep others informed. We thank you in advance for your co-operation.

Thank You

Still waiting in CM. Not that I care, as I'm usually in bed by 11. Frankly, Nimman seems fairly unaffected by the curfew. Two nights ago, I was woken at 1am by an overseas call, and I went out on my balcony and saw plenty of people still milling around, eating, etc....

• Like 2

Yeah, keep the 'money cows' drunk, happy and blind to what's really happening in this amazing Thailand. They will go home with a big party hangover and spread the word that military rule is no problem, you can still drink all night and get laid by girls half their age.

Edited by jaideeguy
  • Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Still waiting in CM. Not that I care, as I'm usually in bed by 11. Frankly, Nimman seems fairly unaffected by the curfew. Two nights ago, I was woken at 1am by an overseas call, and I went out on my balcony and saw plenty of people still milling around, eating, etc....

I was up your way at the curfew beginning , the CM locals told me they were not taking any notice, business as usual , although I noticed that shops etc where closing early.

Keep that bar and sex trade going. The happiness keeps flowing from the Thai military dictatorship. In typical Thai fashion, "measures" are being taken.

• Like 2

I'm with you- I'm rarely out that late any way.

I'm surprised that curfew has worked as well as it has, in the vein of the hi sos like to party too :)

Lots of conflicting reports on observance or otherwise of the curfew.

Yesterday I was speaking to someone who had spent sometime in the Pattaya area and he said the area where he was was ' dead ' at nights so the relaxation would be a godsend.

He also said there were a lot of girls who had moved from Bkk in the hopes of ' work ' .

I was up your way at the curfew beginning , the CM locals told me they were not taking any notice, business as usual , although I noticed that shops etc where closing early.

Keep that bar and sex trade going. The happiness keeps flowing from the Thai military dictatorship. In typical Thai fashion, "measures" are being taken.

Be happy in your work.

Many of you are missing the point about the curfew. Tourist like to feel free about being out past midnight. they don't want to be hasseld to go to their room. However, the big however, the owners that have business beween midnight and 4 are losing money. So, that is too bad - but please - think about the very poor among us that make most of their money from midnight to 4. that happens to be a lot of people. they are suffering the most. It always seems to happen that way. I hope for 100% removal of the curfew throughout thailand on behalf of those in need of income.

• Like 1

I think this curfew is fantastic and hope it stays. Nothing good happens after 12 midnight. First time in 6 years I have been able to get a good nights sleep. Now I do not have to fight to get to sleep because of the booming base speakers from the bar that is over 1 km away from my house.

Before the curfew, I would wake up at 3:30 am because all of a sudden it was quiet.

Can you imagine the profits that the hearing aid companies are going to be making in a few years when all of the Thais enjoy an early deafness. rolleyes.gif

• Like 1

Yeah, keep the 'money cows' drunk, happy and blind to what's really happening in this amazing Thailand. They will go home with a big party hangover and spread the word that military rule is no problem, you can still drink all night and get laid by girls half their age.

So what would you rather have holiday makers do when they go to Thailand ?

Everyone knows that tourism is a big influence on the Thai economy.

Some people have no brain, or just don't put it into gear before stating what they happen to think is right.

• Like 1

And whats wrong with that??? thumbsup.gif

• Like 1

Udon has a tightly enforced curfew. Several military vehicles full of combat ready troops pulled in to Soi Samphan last night. I had one too many beers, and ran up the street to greet them. I got some smiles, but it was pretty clear that I must go home. They put me on a tuk tuk.....

Forturnately, no 40,000 baht fine/nor jail time. God knows I deserved it.

The fact that the powers that be bowed down to letting a lot of out of it tourist's having a full moon party does not exactly inspire confidence .Why should the ordinary people have to live under a curfew when tourists can go out and have fun all night. Of course, its for their own good - BS - is what it is. The most famously corrupt town in Thailand which also has red shirt leanings has been allowed to party away under the guise of tourism. If things are to improve here equality needs to be improved a hell of a lot.

Sent from my i-mobile IQ 2 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Edited by leggo

The fact that the powers that be bowed down to letting a lot of out of it tourist's having a full moon party does not exactly inspire confidence .Why should the ordinary people have to live under a curfew when tourists can go out and have fun all night. Of course, its for their own good - BS - is what it is. The most famously corrupt town in Thailand which also has red shirt leanings has been allowed to party away under the guise of tourism. If things are to improve here equality needs to be improved a hell of a lot.

Put your dummy back in lol.

• Like 1

The reality is that coup or no coup the Thai's are smart enough to realise what a massive hit they are taking to their tourism dollar by doing this. Love or hate the bar "scene" or the tourist hot spots they generate an enormous amount of capital for the kingdom the last thing they want is to look anti-foreigner. The thing I find most amusing is those that live or reside in a country where they are treated like parolee's on a 90 day reporting system for extension of stay's, have no chance of owning land or any real property will never be granted citizenship or the right to vote and yet still feel the need to comment on political matters. Wake up you will never be accepted here. I have lived here 15 years but at least I can see it for what it is. It does not concern you or never will unless you are a Thai citizen...wai2.gif

• Like 2

The reality is that coup or no coup the Thai's are smart enough to realise what a massive hit they are taking to their tourism dollar by doing this. Love or hate the bar "scene" or the tourist hot spots they generate an enormous amount of capital for the kingdom the last thing they want is to look anti-foreigner. The thing I find most amusing is those that live or reside in a country where they are treated like parolee's on a 90 day reporting system for extension of stay's, have no chance of owning land or any real property will never be granted citizenship or the right to vote and yet still feel the need to comment on political matters. Wake up you will never be accepted here. I have lived here 15 years but at least I can see it for what it is. It does not concern you or never will unless you are a Thai citizen...wai2.gif

Well said.clap2.gifwai2.gif

what ? In your b......e!

yes all Thailands problems are over now as you can drink for a few more hours a day...lets not forget that the Public have NO RIGHTS under military law...and that just makes your average nervous family based tourist want to holiday here....this is far from over so lets not fool ourselves

Yes you are correct it is far from over. It takes a lot more time than 3 weeks to clear up the mess the PTP red shirts have created. But at last we are on the correct path. I for see a dropping of the curfew in side of two weeks. A cheap price to pay for safety on the streets.

So what would you rather have holiday makers do when they go to Thailand ?

Everyone knows that tourism is a big influence on the Thai economy.

Some people have no brain, or just don't put it into gear before stating what they happen to think is right.

You are under the wrong impression of people coming to Thailand. Even the back packers are coming as tourists not holiday makers or sex starved drunks.

You will notice that the curfew has been lifted in the areas that those kind of people would come to. I am thinking in less than 2 weeks no more curfew. Midnight to 4:00 in the morning is not an inconvenience to most touiriosts.

Then what are you going to complain about?

You should be rejoicing. Thailand now has a no nonsense government that is bent on improving Thailand not on seeing how rich they and their friends can get.

Let us hope it continues on that path. So far I have not seen them waiver one iota from it. I am not saying they will have it all cleaned up soon. There is so much muck to get through that it will take a long time. Maybe what is your favorite bitch is way down the list for them. But trust them they will get to it. Looking forward to the bright shiny new government they are going to hand to the electorate in a year give or take.

what ? In your b......e!

If you have something to say, then just say it lol violin.gif.pagespeed.ce.8MK3fN8NTC.gifAlso by the way it does inspire confidence with the tourist industry. Its the ordinary peoples problem not the tourists and i am dam sure it has got nothing to do with you or i. Now like i said put your dummy back in cheesy.gif.

• Like 1

Well it looks good on paper and sounds good.

But the reality is that there has only been a 10% drop in Tourism this year as compared to last year and that is despite all the misinformation the foreign media has been passing out. For instance they do not mention that

Thailand is safer to walk around in before the coup and even safer now with it than it is in their own big cities. Also the tourist areas that attract a lot of tourists have had the curfews dropped. Oddly enough it is not as safe there as it was under the curfew but still safer than many big cities around the world whose government is putting out tourist warnings. If they would be honest they would have to warn the citizens of their own country about the fact that they are more dangerous than Thailand.

If the 90 day report makes you feel so insecure and the desire to own property bothers you so much why do you stay? Could it be that you are just pretending like it is a problem. It is not for me and many others. In fact if I had to buy property I could afford it but I would move to where I didn't have to. I have no desire to be granted a citizenship any more than I did in Canada where I lived for 34 years. I really don't care that I can't vote. I am happy and have no problem with commenting on the political situation here or any country for that matter.

To be honest with you if I am to believe you really feel the way you do your life must have been hell for the last 15 years. I would be gone in the blink of an eye if I felt as bad as you do.

Well it looks good on paper and sounds good.

But the reality is that there has only been a 10% drop in Tourism this year as compared to last year and that is despite all the misinformation the foreign media has been passing out. For instance they do not mention that

Thailand is safer to walk around in before the coup and even safer now with it than it is in their own big cities. Also the tourist areas that attract a lot of tourists have had the curfews dropped. Oddly enough it is not as safe there as it was under the curfew but still safer than many big cities around the world whose government is putting out tourist warnings. If they would be honest they would have to warn the citizens of their own country about the fact that they are more dangerous than Thailand.

If the 90 day report makes you feel so insecure and the desire to own property bothers you so much why do you stay? Could it be that you are just pretending like it is a problem. It is not for me and many others. In fact if I had to buy property I could afford it but I would move to where I didn't have to. I have no desire to be granted a citizenship any more than I did in Canada where I lived for 34 years. I really don't care that I can't vote. I am happy and have no problem with commenting on the political situation here or any country for that matter.

To be honest with you if I am to believe you really feel the way you do your life must have been hell for the last 15 years. I would be gone in the blink of an eye if I felt as bad as you do.

Actually mate I am incredibly happy here my life is great. I just refuse to get involved in political matters that don't involve me, and if you think that the tourist dollar hasn't been affected by the coup... well let's just agree to disagree then shall we (you been to Bangkok, Pattaya, Patong lately?). I have never done a 90 day report don't need to. I am an offshore worker so I come and go as I please. See the point I was making that most countries after a certain period of time will grant you citizenship by marriage or company or any of a multitude of reasons, near impossible here. Only criminals need report to the police frequently in most countries not residents with wives and families and assets but if you feel it is fine good luck my friend. I have never felt unsafe in Thailand and never will I have walked down streets in far more dangerous countries than this. I have no problem with not being able to buy land either because I make silly money that has provided my wife and her family a beautiful house and over 100 Rai in her name which I could happily walk away from tomorrow, but then again being a monarchy not even the Thai's own it yeah? The land is all leased from the King right? Be careful about judging somebody you know nothing about champ that sort of stuff has a tendency to come back and bite you on the ass. Funny thing is TV is full of posters that hide behind aliases and love nothing but having a dig at other people. Where did you get the impression I felt bad? All I said was that I find it very amusing that people get so involved in something they have no control over in a country where they will never gain citizenship, or are you one of those delusional falangs trying to make merit at the local Wat with 5 buddha amulets on your gold chain hoping against hope that one day you may actually be Thai coffee1.gif