102 Illegal immigrants arrested in Ranong as they cross Thai border to Malaysia

Lite Beer

102 Illegal immigrants arrested in Ranong as they cross Thai border to Malaysia

RANONG, 8 June 2014, (NNT) - Local police and military in Ranong Province have arrested 102 immigrants for illegal entry as they crossed Thai border on their way to Malaysia.

Officials said the arrested comprosed 36 Myanmar nationals and 66 Rohingyas, adding that all have been charged with illegal entry and would later be deported to their respective homelands.

The immigrants were spotted in vehicles travelling on the road in Baanklongjan bordering Ranong and Chumphon Provinces. Initial investigation revealed that they were heading to Malaysia, illegally entering Thailand to avoid being spotted by authorities on their way. Most of them were trying to land better jobs, should they reach the destination.

Ranong Governor Acting Sub Lt. Cherdsak Jampatet has promptly instructed local administration leaders to step up measures against illegal entry in the future.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2014-06-08 footer_n.gif

It happens all over the world. People try to find work elsewhere to support their families. When a country does better than it's neighbors it attracts illegal migrants. I hope they will be treated decently before being sent back.

• Like 2

"Officials said the arrested comprosed 36 Myanmar nationals and 66 Rohingyas, adding that all have been charged with illegal entry and would later be deported to their respective homelands"

I would have thought that Myanmar was the homeland for all of them

Yes it is their homeland but unfortunately the Myanmar government makes them out to be stateless and thus they have no documents.

I pity their lot in life

• Like 2

Ranong is on the Malay border??!!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

That was my first thought too. "When did Ranong suddenly border on Malaysia ?" Then I read the rest of it.

Poor job with the headline.

As for the Rohingyas, Myanmar doesn't recognize them as citizens, but as illegal immigrants from Bangladesh (who can't easily be deported to Bangladesh as that country refuses to recognize them as Bangladeshi). (Kind of like certain hill tribes in Thailand.)

Like many other groups in the world that prefer to identify with their ethnic group rather than the country they live in (Kurds, Tamils, Pashtuns, etc), they themselves don't associate themselves with a specific country. Their ancestors lived in those areas long before someone (usually a foreigner) came along and started drawing lines on a map, segregating their ancestral homes into different countries and then telling them they couldn't just "cross the river" to visit family anymore, unless they got a passport and went through a border checkpoint, etc, etc.

In ancient days, the world was made up of little kingdoms and city states that eventually grouped together (sometimes willingly, sometimes forcefully) often for the "greater good". Mutual economic, cultural and safety concerns resulted in the formation of larger countries and usually some form of governance responsible for the whole of the country.

However, that trend has been reversing itself for quite some time now. A few months ago I was looking at the total number of countries in the world since 1900. What was most telling was the number of "new" countries added to the list since 1945. At some point in time, there will no doubt be a call for a "Rohingya" homeland, to be carved out of parts of modern day Bangladesh and Myanmar, citing (religious and ethnic) persecution as the reasons. I highly doubt either Bangladesh or Myanmar would willingly give up parts of their countries to form such a place, which of course means there'll be yet another conflict (like Sudan, like Sri Lanka, like Timor, like <former> Yugoslavia, et al.)

Think about the consequences when this vary same thing starts to happen to the larger (better armed) countries of the world............not pretty.

Nicely written. Surprising contribution. Thanks

When will they arrest the Thai Mr. Big handlers and financiers? And then the Thai bankers laundering the money? When they do, that will mean that they are serious about denting human trafficking. Until they arrest Thai Mr. Bigs, it's just Thai petty show and tell.

If they were going to Malaysia, why the heck didn't they just help them on their way?

Pathetic waste of time, cost and needless intervention.

Yes, that would be great fr Thai-Malaysia relations, then maybe other countries wouldn't bother stopping people entering Thailand illegally. Do you have any other bright ideas? If so, better keep them to yourself.

Hub of ridiculous headlines.
"Cross Thai border to Malaysia" in Ranong?
Wishful dreaming? cheesy.gif

Just wonder, has anyone ever tried to cross the Thai-Lao border in Sadao
or, the
Malaysia-Myanmar border in Rantau Panjan?whistling.gif

Suppose, next time a farang is arrested in Pattaya, the news will read
"Farang arrested in Pattaya whilst crossing the American - Russian border" crazy.gif

Ranong is on the Malay border??!!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

That was my first thought too. "When did Ranong suddenly border on Malaysia ?" Then I read the rest of it.

Poor job with the headline.

As for the Rohingyas, Myanmar doesn't recognize them as citizens, but as illegal immigrants from Bangladesh (who can't easily be deported to Bangladesh as that country refuses to recognize them as Bangladeshi). (Kind of like certain hill tribes in Thailand.)

Like many other groups in the world that prefer to identify with their ethnic group rather than the country they live in (Kurds, Tamils, Pashtuns, etc), they themselves don't associate themselves with a specific country. Their ancestors lived in those areas long before someone (usually a foreigner) came along and started drawing lines on a map, segregating their ancestral homes into different countries and then telling them they couldn't just "cross the river" to visit family anymore, unless they got a passport and went through a border checkpoint, etc, etc.

In ancient days, the world was made up of little kingdoms and city states that eventually grouped together (sometimes willingly, sometimes forcefully) often for the "greater good". Mutual economic, cultural and safety concerns resulted in the formation of larger countries and usually some form of governance responsible for the whole of the country.

However, that trend has been reversing itself for quite some time now. A few months ago I was looking at the total number of countries in the world since 1900. What was most telling was the number of "new" countries added to the list since 1945. At some point in time, there will no doubt be a call for a "Rohingya" homeland, to be carved out of parts of modern day Bangladesh and Myanmar, citing (religious and ethnic) persecution as the reasons. I highly doubt either Bangladesh or Myanmar would willingly give up parts of their countries to form such a place, which of course means there'll be yet another conflict (like Sudan, like Sri Lanka, like Timor, like <former> Yugoslavia, et al.)

Think about the consequences when this vary same thing starts to happen to the larger (better armed) countries of the world............not pretty.

Nicely written. Surprising contribution. Thanks

Kerryd is a very knowledgeable gent with a very broad range of interests.

(He is also very dangerous to go drinking with. neus.gif )

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Ranong (Thai ระนอง) is one of Thailand's southern provinces (changwat), located on the west coast along the Andaman Sea. It has the fewest inhabitants of any Thai provinces. Neighboring Ranong are (clockwise) Chumphon, Surat Thani and Phang Nga. To the west, it borders Kawthaung, Tanintharyi, Myanmar.

Rayong (Thai: ระยอง, pronounced [ra.jɔːŋ]) is a city (thesaban nakhon) located on the shore of the gulf of Thailand, in the eastcoast region of Thailand. It is the capital of Rayong Province, and covers the tambon Tha Pradu and Pak Nam and parts of tambon Choeng Noen and Noen Phra, all within Mueang Rayong district. As of 2005 the population was 54,641. Main industry is fishing, and it is the main producer of Thailand's fish sauce. It is also a center for the chemicals and auto industries. In 2012 Ford Motor Company opened an assembly plant in Rayong to expand Ford's presence in the ASEAN area, employing some 2,200 people.[1]

This may help with understanding OP

Flag of Thailand

Categories: Populated places in Rayong Province

Navigation menu

Create account

Article

Talk

Read

Edit

View history

Main page

Contents

Featured content

Current events

Random article

Donate to Wikipedia

Wikimedia Shop

Interaction

Help

About Wikipedia

Community portal

Recent changes

Contact page

Tools

What links here

Related changes

Upload file

Special pages

Permanent link

Page information

Data item

Cite this page

Print/export

Create a book

Download as PDF

Printable version

Languages

བོད་ཡིག

Dansk

Deutsch

Español

Français

한국어

Italiano

Nederlands

Norsk bokmål

پنجابی

Polski

Português

ไทย

Tiếng Việt

文言

Winaray

Edit links

This page was last modified on 25 May 2014 at 18:05.

Text is available under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. Wikipedia® is a registered trademark of the Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., a non-profit organization.

Privacy policy

About Wikipedia

Disclaimers

Contact Wikipedia

Developers

Mobile view

Wikimedia Foundation